Only One

To Trouble Thee

Jieun's routine was simple. She woke up at three in the morning to get dressed. After taking an hour to "spice up" her looks, she would go to the kitchen and start making breakfast for herself. She would eat breakfast, then go back to the restroom to brush her teeth. Afterwards, she would start making three lunches and put them in three different lunch boxes (one was pink, and the other two were blue). She would wait for another hour, and during that time, she would post more photos of Hyunwoo in her scrapbook or practice her cheer for Hyunwoo.

Then, at five in the morning, the doorbell would ring in the house. It didn't take her a second to open the door, as she met eyes with an irritated boy.

"Good morning, Hyunwoo!" she exclaimed, shoving the two blue lunch boxes in his hands. "I made you breakfast and lunch!"

"Hurry up and get your backpack. I'm going to be late," Hyunwoo snapped.

Jieun blushed and ran back to her room to get her bag. By the time she was back at the door, she realized that Hyunwoo had already walked off to the elevator. Her cheeks turned pink and she quickly caught up with him.

Hyunwoo was her apartment neighbor, not to mention that he was her crush. It took several tries for her to understand what Hyunwoo liked or disliked. With many hours spent on researching Hyunwoo's activities, she found out that he usually skipped breakfast in the mornings. Therefore, Jieun went all out into making the ideal breakfast. She was fueled with energy, especially when she had seen Hyunwoo eat the cafeteria bread for lunch.

It never took too long for her to make his breakfast and his lunch. In fact, she enjoyed seeing Hyunwoo eat her food and no one else's. He never gave her a "thank you," but she didn't need it. After all, just by standing near him was enough.

"What are you doing?" he suddenly asked.

Jieun noticed herself drooling over his good looks. She quickly wiped away the clear liquid with the back of her hand. Hyunwoo stared at her with disgust and sighed as he walked into the elevator.

Oh no! she thought, turning bright red. I made a fool of myself in front of Hyunwoo! I'm already ruining our pleasant memories. Do you have to be so clumsy, Jieun?

"Are you getting in?" Hyunwoo called her, frowning. She gasped, then ran into the small box. The doors closed on them, and he pushed a button that would lead them to the first floor. He looked up, then clicked his tongue when he saw the drool on the back of her hand. He heaved a loud sigh, startling her. Then, he took out a napkin from his pocket and gave it to her.

"This is…?"

"Wipe your hand with it. It's gross," he muttered, refusing to look at her. This caused Jieun's heart to race, as she gladly accepted the napkin. "Throw it away after you're done."

Like I would! This is a napkin that you touched! she thought, smiling to herself. I'm putting this in my scrapbook!

The doors opened, and Hyunwoo began to walk out. She gasped, then ran after him, calling out his name while he began to shout at her for being an "annoying dog."

 

"…Lee Jieun! Wake up!" a hush voice whispered.

Jieun snapped her eyes open and jerked her body back to an uncomfortable sitting position. She looked around, where there was no one except for her, Eunji, Junhee, and Byunghun. She yawned, rubbed her eyes, then rested her chin against the palm of her hand.

"What?" she answered in a mumble.

"The journal. Eunji's here to give it to you," Byunghun said, poking her chubby cheeks. "Why are you so tired? Didn't you go home early last time?"

"I woke up extra early today to make breakfast and lunch for him," Jieun said, rubbing her eyes.

"The blue lunchbox he brought? I saw him throw it at Taemin in second period. The two were arguing in the special class about a test question. Apparently, the teacher got it wrong, and  was going to fix it with Hyunwoo's help, but Taemin pointed out an error in Hyunwoo's way. The two were practically unstoppable until I came and dragged Taemin away," Byunghun commented, handing her the journal.

At first, Jieun seemed disappointed. The three friends waited for a little while, watching Jieun's pout become a smile. She let out a giggle, then opened the journal to a fresh page.

"I'm so glad that the lunchbox was useful! He's probably starving now. I should definitely give him my lunchbox today–"

"No need to do that. A first-year gave him a really cute lunchbox. It–"

"A… a first-year?" Jieun's eyes grew wide, then narrowed them. "Well, that little girl messed with the wrong wife! Byunghun, tell me who that girl was! I'm totally going to pound her until…"

The hopeless girl swiped the journal and gripped it tightly with her thin fingers. She pulled Byunghun's ear and dragged him out of the room, ready to teach the first-year a lesson or two. Seeing this, Eunji glanced at Junhee with worried eyes.

"Should we go?" Eunji asked.

"Nah. They'll be fine," Junhee said, walking out of the classroom.

"Where are you going? Let me follow you!"

"To the art room."

Eunji frowned. "Art room? I don't remember you liking art. Didn't you like music? I thought you'd join the music club at the very least. I know someone who's in the music club. I can get you in and close with the president of that club."

"Um, no thanks. Besides, I'm not in the art club or anything. I still don't like art," Junhee replied.

"Then why are you going there?" Eunji continued to ask, following her.

The red-head stopped for a brief moment, then looked outside the window. Then, she turned around to her friend and shrugged her shoulders.

"For inspiration, I guess," she replied. She walked away briskly, leaving that country girl standing alone.

Eunji heaved a loud sigh, and walked at the opposite direction of where Junhee was heading to. She looked outside the window, then spotted Jieun with Byunghun, who were standing in front of a group of first-years. She broke into a small smile when she saw Jieun attempting to jump on them, while the younger girls backed up to the wall with a frightened expression. Fortunately, Byunghun was there to stop her with his skinny arms wrapped around her waist. Eunji rested her chin against the palm of her hand and continued to stare at her friends, who were starting to cause a scene.

Silly kids, Eunji thought, walking away to find some of her friends.

 

"This is so ridiculous. I can't believe that I got a detention for this. Are you kidding me? Those girls deserve to be punished, too!" Jieun complained, staring at the detention slip in her hands. She heaved a sigh, then placed it back on the teacher's desk as she went back to the small table. She continued to staple some forms together, feeling bored and tired of the repetitive action.

"Just be lucky that I was there to ease up the argument. Also, be thankful how I offered to stay here with you during detention. It's only been the first few days of school, Jieun. Please behave," Taemin replied, stapling the packets together.

Jieun let out a groan, and rolled her eyes after hearing Taemin's monotonous advice. She gritted her teeth, then pouted as she continued to hear the short clicks! from the stapler.

"It's just not fair. Those first-years should understand how long I've had my feelings for. I work hard to convey them. They don't have to work hard. They just need to look pretty. I don't even have the right body for Hyunwoo!" Jieun whined, patting her hips that barely showed any curve.

Taemin ignored her comment about her looks. "Dasom always told me that the length of love doesn't matter. It's what you do with love, not how long you have it. Then again, maybe that's why she breaks up a lot."

"Did you really listen to her advice? She knows nothing about true love! True love is when you see someone and you just know that you're meant for that person. That's what true love is. It's like the love in dramas or in comic books. You can't mistaken love for anything else," Jieun said, smiling and giggling at the thought of Hyunwoo.

"Is that what love is? I don't know; I don't really think love is necessary. Just study well, like what Hyunwoo does."

"That's what you do. What Hyunwoo does is entirely different! Every time he studies, he thinks about me. I'm always on his mind," Jieun claimed, smirking as she finished up her pile.

"You sure about that?"

"Are you trying to say something?"

"Nope." Taemin finally finished his pile, then stretched his arm. He let out a small yawn, then rubbed his sore eyes. Then, he rested his head on the table and closed his eyes.

"What's wrong? You seem exhausted. Then again, we haven't seen you for a while," Jieun pointed out, taking out the journal she was holding earlier. She opened it up to a new page to write about her day.

"I'm going to meet the rest of the student council members. I heard that the vice president was a girl, so I'm kind of struggling with that thought. You know that I'm no good with girls," Taemin said.

"Yet, you still hang out with four other girls who're your best friends. Get some advice about girls from Dasom. Actually, maybe ask Junhee instead, if she's the type of girl who doesn't want any socialization from people."

The door swung open, and the two friends looked up. Jieun's face turned bright red, as she met eyes with the only man she ever loved. Hyunwoo glanced at the two, wondering why they were alone in a classroom. He casually ignored them and walked over to a table, where his school bag was. Taemin stood up and began to stack the two separate piles into one. Jieun snapped out of her thoughts about Hyunwoo, then looked up at the tall stack.

"Let me help you with that," Jieun said, trying to take half.

Before she had the chance to take it, Hyunwoo swooped in and took the entire stack in his arm. She felt her heart skip a beat and her cheeks heat up, but Hyunwoo's eyes were only glaring at Taemin. Taemin stared back, but he didn't return any menacing look.

"That's going to be heavy for you, Hyunwoo," Taemin said bluntly.

The corner of Hyunwoo's lip twitched. "Then you shouldn't let a girl carry a heavy load."

"She offered."

"Did she?"

"It's not my fault that she wanted to carry half."

"I don't understand why girls think you're a gentleman. I'm much more nicer than you," Hyunwoo spat out.

Oh my gosh. I get to see Hyunwoo argue with Taemin close-up! I finally get to see Hyunwoo get jealous over me being near a guy! I should tell him that Taemin's just a friend… Ha! As if I would! Jieun thought, giggling and grinning to herself. She began to fantasize about how Hyunwoo would drag her out of the room and express his jealousy, while she would constantly .

Hyunwoo glanced at Jieun, who began to drool once again. The boy scrunched his nose, then glowered back at Taemin.

"I don't get it. Why is it that you're much more popular than me when you hang around with Jieun? I'm around her as much as you are, but they still think that you're better than me!" Hyunwoo cried out.

"Popular? Am I popular?" Taemin asked. He reached over to take half of the pile until Hyunwoo turned his body away, preventing Taemin from even touching the paper. This caused Taemin to feel irritated, thinking how ridiculous the poor child was being. "Hand it over, Hyunwoo."

Seeing this as some sort of threat, Hyunwoo scoffed. "No way. I'm going to handle this."

"You don't even know where to go!"

"Jieun!" Hyunwoo called.

"I'll walk you to the destination!" Jieun offered happily. She opened the door for Hyunwoo, but her eyes were glued to him.

Hyunwoo smirked at Taemin with a victorious look.

"Ha! You might've won during class when we were fixing the teacher's error, but I'll win through hard work and labor!" Hyunwoo declared. He began to follow Jieun, while stumbling with carrying the tall stack. Taemin followed behind them, but making sure to put some distance between him and the other two.

"Lee Jieun," Taemin said, "aren't you going to write about today in that journal?"

Jieun froze, then slowly turned around. She looked at Hyunwoo, who seemed a bit tired of carrying the heavy pile. Then, she let out a soft whimper, and stare down at the journal in her hands. She was going to write down all about Hyunwoo, but there wouldn't be enough time to write about his greatness (after all, she would be scolded by her parents for getting detention at home, and who knows how long that would take).

Taemin ignored her pitiful look and took half of the stack from Hyunwoo's hands. The tired boy was just about to protest until Taemin began to walk forward.

"So you took advantage of my tired state? Fine! Two can play that game!" Hyunwoo shouted, trying to catch up with him.

Jieun chewed on the bottom of her lip. "W-Wait up!"

She quickly opened the journal and pulled out a pencil, which she had previously in her pocket. She quickly wrote something down, then ran up to catch up with her beloved.

 

Day 4 – Jieun
I swear, Hyunwoo was jealous of me being near Taemin. He's so shy, it makes me blush!