Fiction Section

To Trouble Thee

Was it fair for Lee Taemin, the smartest guy amongst her friends, to date the principal's granddaughter, who seemed to be the perfect girlfriend for him?

"I guess. I mean, he's doing well at school, so he pretty much deserves a good girl who can take care of him," Eunji said, tying up her hair into a ponytail.

It was a lovely Sunday afternoon, and the two were hanging out at the library. The students were studying quietly, whether they were in groups or isolated from the others. Fortunately, the library was big, so making sounds didn't bother most of the studious teenagers. Round tables were scattered all over the building with tall bookshelves acting as a private wall. The group had picked a table at the farthest corner, where no one else surrounded them.

Dasom had invited everyone (especially Taemin) to discuss about Taemin's new love life, but everyone except for Eunji and Junhee couldn't make it. Taemin's excuse angered Dasom, who said that he couldn't come to the library because he "had to study by himself since his girlfriend would be jealous." Byunghun wasn't able to go because the basketball club was having a small party for the new managers (he seemed pretty excited, despite the fact that his crush was leaving the team) and Jieun wouldn't go because she had to "follow Hyunwoo who was with some strange girl."

Dasom, who couldn't think of studying after discovering how Taemin had a girlfriend, placed her book on the table and whimpered. She rested her head against the cold surface, while Eunji and Junhee didn't dare to look up from their textbooks.

"I don't get why everything comes to him so easily. Look at me! I make effort into finding the perfect man," Dasom complained.

"Are you sure about that? I mean, you told me a few days ago that you dumped a lot of boyfriends over the summer vacation," Junhee pointed out.

"Just give it some time, Dasom. I'm pretty sure you'll find someone," Eunji encouraged.

"Honestly, I just want a boyfriend!" Dasom whined.

"You get the guys you want, but in the end, you just dump them for insane reasons. Maybe you're just childish with love," Junhee said.

Dasom shot her a glare, then turned to Eunji, trying to find a word of encouragement.

Panicking, Eunji stuttered, "W-Well, I think that ya'll find someone who ain't goin' to treat you like some trash! Ain't Dasom a good gal? She's the perfect woman, ain't she, Junhee? A man just cain't let her go, ain't I right, Junhee?"

"There goes your dialect, again. Stop speaking gibberish," Dasom mumbled, feeling bad that Eunji had to lie about her own thoughts.

"S-Sorry, Dasom. You know that it just slips," Eunji mumbled, rubbing the back of her neck.

Their minute of silence was rudely interrupted with a lousy snort behind them. Hearing the rhetorical sound, Dasom bit her bottom lip and closed her eyes in an annoyed manner.

"Ugh. Why do I have to see your face?" a deep voice muttered behind her. The three girls looked up and found Myungsoo almost glaring at them.

Dasom scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Fancy seeing you here. Why are you hanging around here?" Dasom snapped.

"Hey, it's a free country. I get to study wherever I want," Myungsoo replied. "So what are you second-years doing?"

"Studyin'. You betta leave, mista! We're in a situation where even you cain't do anythin' about!" Eunji exclaimed.

"Eunji! Your dialect!" Dasom warned. She knew that Myungsoo didn't like her friends very much (especially the guys), and he would always find a way to poke fun at them. It was the last thing Dasom wanted, and she had always told her friends about it. Though they never seemed to care, and Dasom couldn't help but just warn them every time they were making a fool of themselves.

"Oh, right. You're the weird friend with the southern dialect. Then you must be the music freak, huh?" Myungso asked, pointing at Junhee.

"Can you just leave them alone? What do you want?" Dasom inquired, narrowing her eyes.

"Nothing, I was just strolling by," Myungsoo muttered. "I have to find this fiction book that I need to borrow. I lost the one the school gave, and I used this month's allowance on buying you that bag of breads. I just happened to hear that you were here, so I decided to drop by and see what was up."

Dasom snorted. "Thanks for worrying, but we're perfectly fine on our own."

"Says the girl who was complaining about boyfriends and our friends a minute ago," Junhee mumbled to herself. Eunji broke into a smile and Dasom gave her a frown.

Myungsoo paused, pressing his lips together into a thin line. Then, he scratched the back of his head, as if he was hesitating on something.

"You're not dating one of the two guy friends you have, right?" Myungsoo asked slowly.

"Byunghun and Taemin? Nah, I wouldn't date them in a million years. Byunghun is getting over his unrequited love, while Taemin got a girlfriend yesterday. Seriously, it how I can't find myself the perfect boy while Taemin can!" Dasom whined again.

Myungsoo let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, I see. Well, keep searching! Who knows, the perfect guy might not be too far."

"No, no. You're wrong. My perfect guy is practically out of this world. I just might never meet him," Dasom said, resting her cheek against her fist.

Instead of saying anything back, the boy patted Dasom's shoulder in comfort.

"Like I said, don't look too far! The guy who might be perfect for you might be near you," Myungsoo repeated, walking away.

Dasom groaned. "Typical him. He has it easy! He's already good at flirting with woman."

"He's great at studying, too, but he isn't so good at finding books," Eunji said, grinning ear-to-ear.

Dasom raised an eyebrow, obviously confused by her statement. Junhee sighed, putting her textbook flat on the table.

"Dasom, do you remember why Myungsoo was hanging around here?" Junhee asked, trying to help her out.

"He needed to find a book," Dasom remembered.

"What kind of book?"

"A fiction book."

"Where are all the fiction books located?"

Dasom's mouth went round as she realized what Junhee was saying. The fiction books were at the other side of the library, and there was no way that Myungsoo would come over here by mistake. To Dasom, that meant only one thing.

"I can't believe he came here just to mock at me for not finding a boyfriend! Ugh, I'll definitely show him! Just wait until I find the guy for me! I'll shove my perfect boyfriend in front of his face," Dasom declared, gritting her teeth.

Eunji and Junhee exchanged disappointed glances. It was clear that Eunji wanted to push Dasom to think more about Myungsoo's true intention of coming over, but Junhee silently shook her head. The two girls began to study quietly, listening to Dasom's endless boyfriend stories (not to mention how Myungsoo ruined the relationships).

After spending five hours at the library studying and chatting, the girls decided to separate. Junhee had to present her family a violin piece (wanting to be a musical prodigy, she had to keep her parents up-to-date about her progress with music), so she left early, leaving Eunji alone with Dasom. Eunji was going to stay and listen to Dasom's problem, but a guy with blond hair had picked her up. Dasom was about to ask Eunji if she had a boyfriend since the man acted awfully friendly towards her. She swore that she saw him somewhere at school, but Eunji made up an excuse, saying how the blond man was a close family friend. The two left, discussing about what Eunji's family was having for dinner.

Alone, Dasom heaved a sigh and glanced at the journal she had kept for some time. She knew that she had to write something and pass it onto Junhee, but she couldn't think of anything. She felt disturbed, mainly because her friend was lucky enough to find a good girlfriend. Dasom always struggled to find the perfect man, and to find one, she had to date several, only to discover that they weren't who they seemed to be.

Was the fault in hers or in theirs? She could never answer her own question.

"Stupid," someone behind her muttered.

Dasom whirled around, seeing Myungsoo once again. She narrowed her eyes, obviously not wanting his rude remarks again.

"Why are you here, Myungsoo?" she asked, almost growling at him.

"Like I said, I wanted to find a book, but all I found was you being alone." He smirked. "Want some company?"

"No, I think I'm good–" She paused, then stared at him. "You're not planning on saying something mean, are you?"

"Nope."

"So you're not going to do anything mean, either?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Then you're not going to do anything mean to me?"

Myungsoo sighed. "Am I just the mean guy to you?"

"You spat gum in my hair–"

"I said I was sorry!" Myungsoo exclaimed, taking a seat across from her. "Gosh, you're such a baby–"

"Mean!" Dasom suddenly said, raising her voice. "That was a mean comment!"

He rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine. By the way, why are you all alone?"

"Junhee had to go to prepare for her violin presentation, while Eunji was dragged away by some weird dude." She leaned close to him, but Myungsoo instinctively leaned back. She narrowed her eyes, motioning him to come closer so that she would whisper the words. His ears turned a bit red as he leaned close to her, but Dasom thought that it was just her imagination. "Do you know any guys who has blond hair in our school?"

"U-Uh, let me think," Myungsoo stuttered, leaning away again. "Well, there's a lot."

"How about among my year? The second year?" Dasom asked.

"Obviously there's Lee Taemin, who's your friend. Oh, there's also Lee Byunghun, who's also your friend–"

"Not from my friends! From anyone else," she interrupted, chewing her bottom lip. "Okay, then is there anyone popular who has blond hair?"

"Popular? Then you must be talking about Jung Daehyun. He's really good at basketball," Myungsoo said.

Dasom's eyes widened with glee. She knew it! She knew that the man who Eunji had walked away with was familiar! That man was Jung Daehyun! How could she forget?

Though why was Eunji hanging around with Daehyun? I thought she was closer with that other dude who had to stay back a year, Dasom thought, pressing her lips.

Myungsoo watched her intently, noting all the different facial expressions she was making. He frowned, resting his head against the palm of his hand. After letting her think for a few minutes, he tried to study her more closely.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" Dasom asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Are you interested in Daehyun?" Myungsoo asked. "Do you like popular guys or guys who can play basketball? No, you must like popular guys. After all, you show no interest to Byunghun and he's pretty good at basketball."

"What's all this about? Why do you care if I'm interested in some guy?" Dasom asked, getting up.

"H-Hey! Where are you going?" he stammered.

"Home. It's getting late and I don't have a reason to stay here," she said.

"Let me go with you. A girl can't roam around the streets alone at this time," he offered.

"Don't you have to study with your friends? Besides, the sun is still up," Dasom pointed out.

"It's fine, it's fine," Myungsoo replied, gathering his belongings. "Besides, who said that I came here with friends?"

Dasom paused. "Then why did you come here? You're always with your friends."

"Because I was hoping to hang out with yo–I mean, I wanted to hang out with a friend of mine, but he couldn't come." After getting up from his seat, he flashed her a smile. "Let's go?"

"Fine, but stay at least five meters away from me while we're walking," Dasom said.

"What? Why?"

"You can't just look at a girl writing her diary," Dasom told him, raising the journal. She saw him pout, and she thought that it was because he couldn't from being five meters away. Satisfied, she pulled out her journal and began to walk while writing down her day.

 

Day 7 – Dasom
I hung out at the library with my friends, while Myungsoo was at the library alone for hours. Pft, it was a pitiful sight to see, so I allowed him to follow me back home. I'm such a nice person.