Secret Friend

To Trouble Thee

"How could you not do the Chemistry homework? We made a deal, remember? You do the Chemistry homework, and I'll do the English homework. If you don't do the homework, how am I supposed to copy it?"

"What are you talking about? I was supposed to do the Pre-Calculus homework! You're supposed to do the Chemistry homework!"

"I bet you were busy stalking Hyunwoo, huh?"

"No, I wasn't! I was just—"

"Why don't you both just finish up your stupid homework and shut up already?" Dasom shouted, shooting Eunji and Jieun a glare. The two lowered their voices, ignoring what Dasom had told them and continued their little argument. She heaved a loud sigh, then rested her cheek against her fist. "Seriously, those two need to learn to do their own homework. What are you going to do when you grow up?"

"Be Hyunwoo's wife, of course," Jieun said, not looking up from the piece of paper on her desk.

"Why did I even bother to ask," Dasom muttered, rolling her eyes.

It was the third day since Dasom had introduced her friends to the journal, and Junhee had yet to bring the private book to Eunji. Earlier, she had searched the entire school, trying to find Junhee in order to read what her friend wrote. Unfortunately, she was unable to find the red-haired girl. Instead, she found Eunji and Jieun hanging out in a classroom, busying themselves by completing their unfinished homework.

A few minutes later, Taemin arrived with a neat black binder. He looked around the classroom, then spotted the trio sitting at the center of the classroom. As he stepped inside, a few girls and guys gave him suspicious glances, wondering what a student from the special class (indicated by the unique golden patch ironed onto his clothes) was doing in the regular classroom. Knowing how he wasn't wanted, Taemin decided to make his visit brief and short.

"Good morning Jieun, Eunji, and Dasom," he greeted.

The girls muttered back a "hi" and proceeded with their activities. Seeing this, Taemin sighed and took out a paper from the binder.

"I came to give this to you guys."

The three females looked up at the flyer that Taemin handed them. They closed their little triangle, trying to see what the news was about. After a few more minutes, Dasom gasped and stood up.

"Sweet! There's going to be an assembly, and Byunghun is going to perform! I am totally going to record that," Dasom exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.

Jieun snatched away the flyer and continued to read. She frowned, then passed it to Eunji.

"If there's no Hyunwoo, then why bother? I can see Byunghun play basketball any time," she said, rolling her eyes.

Taemin stared at her for a second or two, then looked at Eunji. He waited for her response. Then, Eunji forced a small smile and handed the paper to him.

"So Byunghun's performing, hm? That's great. I'll be cheering for him when he represents the basketball team!" Eunji commented.

"Is there anything else you want to say?" Taemin asked, staring at Eunji. The country girl shot him a glare, as if she was telling him to back off. The boy understood the warning, then shoved the paper back into his binder. 

"Okay, then. I'll go around and tell Junhee about this. Oh, by the way, she wanted me to give this to you, Eunji." He took out the journal from his binder, causing Dasom's eyes to twinkle. He bid then a quick "goodbye" and left the room, leaving Eunji holding the heavy diary.

Before Eunji had the chance to see anything written inside, Dasom took away the journal and opened to the second page where Junhee's neat handwriting was printed. There was a minute of silence as the three girls read the short sentence.

Finally, the disappointed girls frowned and closed the book.

"I can't believe she wrote about Chanyeol. She's a music geek, and he's an art nerd. I hope your story is more interesting, Eunji," Dasom said, walking away to her classroom.

Eunji pressed her lips, while Jieun gently patted her back.

"I'm sure you can talk about a much interesting day. Still, it's only the third day of school, so I guess you can take your time. Good luck!" Jieun cheered on, running to her own class.

Eunji heaved a sigh, then went to take her seat at the center of the classroom. She quickly hid the journal in her backpack and looked around for a particular friend. The bell chimed throughout the school, and hoards of students filled the hallways. Soon enough, a couple of students poked their heads into the classroom and took their spot before the teacher could arrive.

Eunji looked to her right, where another close friend sat. She flashed him a smile, causing the boy to act startled.

"Good mornin', Howon!" she exclaimed.

"G-Good mornin', E-Eunji," the timid boy stuttered, slightly blushing.

Eunji had decided since yesterday that it would be easy to befriend Hoya, mainly because he was a quiet boy who listened. He reminded her a lot about Junhee, though. In Eunji's opinion, they were both blunt and clueless about their social surroundings.

There were still some significant differences between him and Junhee; he was very fragile and weak. She learned that he had to repeat two years since he was stuck in the hospital. Finding out that he had actually lived in the rural areas, the two became fast friends as they spoke in a dialect that not many could understand.

"Where were ya at? I was kinda lookin' for ya," Eunji said, using her dialect to communicate with him. A few other students threw her a confused look, but she didn't really mind them.

"Hangin' with some friends. They ought to make these classroom clos'a, though. I ain't too fast with my feet or anythin'. I just made a new friend, too. His name's Myungsoo, and he ain't a yapper like me," Howon responded, smiling at the fact how he was able to socialize with someone else. Eunji smiled and gave him a friendly pat on the back. The older boy turned bright red, to which Eunji couldn't quite understand.

"Can you two just shut up? You guys are annoying the heck out of me," a voice cursed at them.

Eunji froze and turned slightly pale, while Howon whirled around. He narrowed his eyes at the rude boy who interrupted their conversation.

"Why don't ya shut up instead, Daehyun? No one wanted yer opinions, ain't I right, Eunji?" Howon asked, annoying Daehyun.

"Well, I wanted my own opinions, and I want you to respect them. Stop using that stupid dialect and speak properly," Daehyun snapped back.

"Say, aren't ya from where we came from? It ain't bad to have your dialect leak out once or twice," Howon defended, picking on Daehyun's background.

The boy smirked and gave the two a snotty look.

"Well, I've learned to adapt the Seoul ways and look where I am. I'm practically the most popular kid in school. If I was book-smart, I'd be the number one student in school," Daehyun bragged, raising his nose high up in the air.

"No you won't," Eunji quickly said. "Everyone knows that Taemin's the genius, and Hyunwoo follows second."

Daehyun kept quiet for a second or two, creating a short, awkward atmosphere. He ignored her, then laughed as he gave Howon a slight nudge with his knuckles. The older boy gave him a frown, but Daehyun turned around and looked down at his notes, refusing to respond to Eunji's statement. The girl became tense, but she managed to give her new friend a light smile.

"So, Howon," she started softly, "are you going somewhere interesting today?"

"Nope, I'm gonna go straight to tutor. Why?"

"Oh, my friends made this little diary entry thing, and I have to write something in it. I don't know what to write in it, though…"

"Why don't ya look around? Have ya signed up for clubs? Did you meet any friends? Maybe talk to the teacher…" His words drifted off into the air as Eunji only stared at the journal, trying to busy her thoughts with the journal instead of anything else. 

 

As Eunji was halfway home, she stopped abruptly when a bush in front of her began to rustle. She gasped and was about to scream until a large hand covered . Her eyes were still wide, but they softened once she recognized the familiar touch. The man in front of her paused for a minute or two, then released his hand after confirming that she would not scream.

"I took the long way around, so that my fangirls won't follow me."

"Daehyun, you don't have any fangirls," Eunji spat out, glaring at him.

"Relax, relax! You don't know who's going to follow me. My reputation would be ruined if people found out that you, one of the dumbest students at our school, were my childhood friend," Daehyun said, skipping besides her.

She grimaced, but continued to walk besides him. It was difficult to be Daehyun's (secret) friend. He used to be a kind, sweet neighbor who would always play with her whenever her friends were too busy, but once they reached middle school, he became a trouble-maker and dyed his hair blond. Not only that, but he turned out to be a flirty boy who lured every girl he met on the street with his husky voice. In high school, he joined the basketball team, and was able to get into the team quite easily compared to the others. It might've been because he was fast, or it could've been because the cheerleaders demanded on him to be on the team.

Ever since he was influenced by the "popular kids," Daehyun spent less time with Eunji and their friendship weakened severely to the point where they didn't dare to talk to each other during school. Eunji could never figure out why he would keep spending time next to her, but being the nice friend she was, she allowed him to stick by her side when they were walking home.

Daehyun looked up at the sky, then heaved a loud sigh. Hearing this, Eunji decided not to respond and only took out the journal from her bag. It was late, and she was running out of time to write.

The boy glanced at her once, then twice. Then, he let out another sigh, but this time, he made sure that she was able to hear it. Figuring that she was ignoring him, the boy stopped right in front of her, causing her to stop her tracks. Eunji looked up, then glared.

"What are you doing?"

"Helping you with that journal of yours," Daehyun said, snatching away the book. Eunji widened her eyes, and managed to take it back after scratching his arm. He yelped out loud, but she didn't feel sorry.

"Can you stop invading my personal space and let me write? I already found out what to write about," Eunji snapped, scribbling on the book.

"Are you writing about me? You can't write about me. That's a forbidden topic, remember?" he said, narrowing his eyes.

Such a kid, Eunji thought, rolling her eyes. "I'm not writing about you. In fact, I'll be writing about Howon."

"Howon?" He scrunched his nose. "Why that old guy? He's supposed to be in his first year of college. I mean, if he's going to be stuck in the hospital for two years, then he might as well not graduate high school with a high school diploma. He should take some kind of test that allows him to get his high school credits—"

"This is why I'd rather to talk to Howon than you. He's nice and sweet. You're just plain mean," Eunji said, taking out a pen.

"You're just being a kid," Daehyun muttered, kicking a stone. He looked up at the houses, then grabbed Eunji's arm to stop her.

She growled. "What?"

"We're home," Daehyun said, pointing at the two houses next to each other. Eunji looked up, then her eyes softened.

Daehyun's home, to the left, was dim and dark compared to Eunji's small house. The two could already hear laughter coming from Eunji's home. She eyed at the lonely boy, who stared at her house with envy.

"If you want, you can come in for today. My parents probably made a lot of food," Eunji said. "Besides, isn't it tiring to eat microwave food that your parents leave you to eat all day?"

The boy flushed his cheeks, then awkwardly looked away. "F-Fine. If that's what you want, then I'll go and eat at your house for today…"

Daehyun walked inside first, and Eunji began to write down her part of the diary entry. She finally closed it, walked into her home, then greeted her lively family with a smile as they welcomed Daehyun with open arms.

 

Day 3 - Eunji
Friend DH came to our house to eat dinner, and I found out that Howon made a new friend!