College Boy

To Trouble Thee

When Dasom got to school, she found out that most people were in the third year's floor. Several girls were gathering upstairs, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever was worthy of their attention. Without delay, Dasom quickly pushed herself through the crowd, curious of what was garnering everyone's attention.

At the end of the crowd, she found herself standing in front of Myungsoo's classroom. Although she was impressed by the amount of girls surrounding the classroom, she was even more surprised to see even more girls gathering around a familiar seat. She frowned deeply, wondering what was going on until she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Baekhyun, who smiled and waved at her.

"Did you come up here because you heard all the girls whispering and going up here?" Baekhyun asked. She nodded.

"What's going on?" Dasom asked him.

Baekhyun stared at her. "You don't know?"

She shook her head. "Also, why isn't this class set up?"

Baekhyun paused. "You really don't know?"

"Should I know?" she asked.

Baekhyun scratched his head. "Strange. I was sure that you would be the first one to hear about this…"

"Hear about what?"

"Dasom?"

Dasom felt her heart skip a beat. She quickly turned around with her hands placed on her chest. She looked up and saw Myungsoo standing right behind her with the same large group of girls tagging behind him.

"Don't do that again," Dasom told him.

"Don't do what?"

"That," Dasom said. She raised her index finger. "Don't call my name out of the blue."

Myungsoo glanced at Baekhyun, who shrugged his shoulders, before looking back down at Dasom.

"Why…?" His voice trailed off in a questioning manner.

"I don't know. Just don't," she told him. She frowned at him and started waving her hand in a circular motion. "I'm getting this weird vibe from you. Lately you're becoming all…sparkly."

"Sparkly?" Myungsoo repeated, raising his eyebrows while grinning. "I think that's a good thing."

"No, it's not," she said. "It's actually a, um, very bad thing."

"The Love Master smells something fishy," Baekhyun said teasingly. He groaned when Dasom elbowed his stomach. Dasom forced a smile and looked at Myungsoo.

"Anyway, what are you doing?" she asked. "I haven't seen your class. I should come over during my break today."

"We are the 'Academic Advisors.' We're basically giving advice to second years and first years on anything academic-wise," Myungsoo explained.

Dasom groaned. "Ew. That's gross. Who'd want to spend time to ask other people how to study?"

"Hey, we're one of the most popular ones," Baekhyun said after recovering from the painful jab. He pointed his thumb at Myungsoo. "In fact, Myungsoo is the popular option. A lot of people go back in line hoping to get advice from him."

"How smart are you?" Dasom asked.

Baekhyun smirked. "Well, don't be surprised, but it's only normal for people to ask him after they found out that he's accepted to the best uni—"

Myungsoo quickly covered Baekhyun's mouth, preventing him from saying anything else. Baekhyun frowned, confused, while Dasom stared at Myungsoo and Baekhyun. Myungsoo faked a smile as Baekhyun struggled.

"Best uni…?" Dasom repeated.

"I-It's nothing," Myungsoo said, laughing loudly.

Baekhyun finally managed to pry away his hands. He regained his composure before staring at Myungsoo.

"You didn't tell her?" Baekhyun asked him. Myungsoo shook his head a little.

"Tell me what?" Dasom asked.

"That he got accepted to Se—"

Myungsoo, once again, covered his mouth. Baekhyun started to yell out inaudible mumbles as he struggled to get out of Myungsoo's grasp. Myungsoo faked an even louder laugh, causing Dasom to frown in disapproval.

"This guy," Myungsoo said, "just has a big mouth."

Baekhyun screamed something, but no one could make out anything he was saying. Dasom gave Myungsoo a strange glance before pointing her finger at him.

"I'll be back!" Dasom declared. Then, she pointed at Baekhyun. "I'm also going to figure out what you're hiding from me!"

She pointed two fingers to her eyes and back at Myungsoo, giving him the gesture that she had her eyes on him. She slowly crept away, pushing away the girls who desperately gathered around the three.

Once she was gone, Myungsoo let out a sigh of relief and released Baekhyun from his grasp. Baekhyun took a deep breath as if he wasn't able to breathe the entire time. He shot Myungsoo a glare.

"What was that for?" Baekhyun asked him.

"I'm sorry," Myungsoo murmured. "I had to."

"Why?" he asked. "Why aren't you telling Dasom that you're accepted to one of the best schools in the country?"

Myungsoo pressed his lips. "I…I'm not ready to tell her."

"Again, why?"

"I want to wait a bit longer." Myungsoo looked at the direction she left. "I'm worried that if she finds out, she might have a different opinion on me."

"We're talking about Dasom. If anything, she—" Baekhyun stopped himself. "Actually, you're right. I can totally see her getting into you if you tell her that you got into Seoul National University."

"See?" Myungsoo sighed. "On the other hand, I feel like I should just tell her since she already rejected me."

"Want to hear what the Love Expert has to say?" Baekhyun asked him. He wiggled his eyebrows while Myungsoo broke into a small smile and scoffed lightly.

"No, I don't," Myungsoo said, looking at him. "Look, I'm just going to wait until I'm ready to tell her."

"But don't you think she's going to find out?" Baekhyun pointed out. "She's really good at figuring out people's secrets."

"It's academics. I'm sure she won't find out," Myungsoo assured him.

 

"Can you give me Myungsoo's number?"

Dasom looked at the next customer, who turned out to be Taemin. She narrowed her eyes, then looked at the fake magic ball.

"I shall tell you what lies in your love life—"

"I'm serious, Dasom," Taemin said, interrupting her. "Can you give me his number?"

Dasom grunted. "Okay, you are, like, the tenth person to ask me this. Why is everyone coming to my booth and asking for Myungsoo's number? If they really want his number, then they should just ask him personally!"

"I'm the tenth person? I'm shocked. I thought there would be more," Taemin murmured. "Anyways, give me Myungsoo's number."

"Fat chance!" Dasom exclaimed. "Now, do you want me to read your future love life or what?"

"You're going to say something ridiculous like if I keep studying, then I won't have a love life," Taemin said.

Dasom snapped her fingers. "Damn right, I am! You really need a girlfriend!" She leaned close to him. "By the way, I read your journal entry."

Taemin's face turned red, but it was hard to see that in the dark booth. He grumbled something inaudible while Dasom smirked proudly.

"Want my advice on that?" Dasom asked.

"Actually, I think you owe me Myungsoo's phone number," Taemin said.

"What? Why?"

"I heard that Hyeri got my number from you," he said. Dasom bit her bottom lip.

"Are you mad?" she asked slowly.

"I'll be mad until you give me Myungsoo's number," Taemin said.

Dasom groaned. "Ugh! You're such a pain!"

She reached down under her robe and found her phone hiding in her pocket. She took it out and turned it on. As Taemin took out his phone, she scrolled down her contact list, trying to find Myungsoo's name.

"I don't get why you want his number so badly," Dasom said. "You never wanted it in the first place."

"I always wanted it, but I recently found out that he got accepted into Seoul National University," he blurted. He started making a new contact while Dasom stopped and stared at him. "I tried to find him, but it's really hard to go through all that crowd. A lot of people are trying to find out if they can get tutored by him. I'd rather just use my connection through you and contact him from there." He stopped talking when he realized that she hadn't said a word. He looked up from his phone and stared at Dasom, who remained flabbergasted. "You look like you haven't heard anything like this."

"W-Well, I didn't expect… Seoul National University?" Dasom repeated. "That's, like, one of the top schools in our country!"

"It is the top school in our country," Taemin said. He frowned. "You haven't heard? I thought you would've already known about this."

"It's my first time hearing it," Dasom said. She paused. "Is he that smart?"

"Well, I knew he was one of the top students at our school. I just didn't know if he was capable of getting into such a great school," Taemin explained. "How much were you underestimating him?"

"Wow," she murmured. "I rejected someone who was going to go to the top school in Korea."

"Talk about bad luck," Taemin mumbled back as he took his sweet time putting Myungsoo's contact information into his phone. When he was done, he put his phone away and smiled at her. "Thanks, Dasom!"

"Yeah, yeah…" Dasom stopped herself again. "Seoul National University?"

"Yes, Seoul National University," Taemin repeated. "Are you okay?"

"I've been making enemies with a genius," Dasom said. She pondered on the thought a little longer. Then, she gave Taemin a quick look. "Taemin, who's better-looking? Me or Myungsoo?"

"What's all this about—"

"Just answer the question!"

Taemin would've answered Myungsoo, but when he got a better look at Dasom's worried expression, he decided to go with the second option.

"Well, I'd think that you're better-looking than him," he stated casually.

"Really?" she asked.

"Really."

She let out a sigh of relief and fixed her robe while putting away her phone. "Good, good."

"Why? What was that about?" he asked.

"Hey, if Myungsoo's my enemy and if he's nerdy, then I should at least be beautiful since I don't have the brains," Dasom said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Where's the logic in that?" Taemin inquired.

"It's called 'Dasom Logic.' You should use it some time," Dasom said. She made a deep frown. "The only thing I can't figure out is why he didn't tell me earlier…"

"Maybe he still likes you," Taemin said without putting much thought into his words.

She looked at him. "Really? Do you think so?"

"Everyone knows that Myungsoo has, like, a huge crush on you. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to say anything about his career path because he didn't want you to jump all over him and have a change of heart," Taemin said.

Dasom stared at Taemin for a long time. Then, she rested her cheek against the palm of her hand while she stared at him with a look full of admiration and pride.

"Taemin," she started, "I am so glad you got a girlfriend."

Taemin scowled. "Now what?"

"You've changed so much for the better." She faked a sniffle and pretended to wipe her invisible tears. "I feel like I've just watched my child grow up and experience maturity!"

"I am mature," he argued. "It's the rest of you who aren't mature. Well, I wouldn't include Eunji and Junhee."

Dasom raised her fist, while Taemin remained still in his chair. "I take my words back! You're still immature!"

He scoffed. "Whatever. Anyway, I'm going to leave."

"Without hearing your future?" Dasom asked. "Come on, listen to me talk about your love life! I've got great ideas! Personally, I like Hyeri better than Soojung, but if you're still interested in Soojung, then—"

"That's enough," Taemin said. He sighed before muttering, "Why did I agree to write personal events in that journal…?"

"Hey, do you know if anyone is available afterwards? I end my shift at twelve. Byunghun takes over after my shift. Apparently, he's really good at this love-fortune thing."

"I'll be taking photos throughout the rest of the evening, so I can't make it. Eunji can't make it either."

"Dang it. What about Jieun and Junhee?"

"I heard that Junhee is going to be busy. She's taking care of a first-year class, and I'm not sure why she's doing that." He snapped his fingers. "Oh, Jieun said something about protesting against Myungsoo around noon. You might be able to see her?"

"Protesting? About what?"

"Something along the lines of how Myungsoo placed a 'too high expectation' for Hyunwoo. I didn't really listen to all the details," Taemin said, scratching the back of his head.

Dasom sighed. "Well, I'll take what I can get. I'll see Jieun later, then. Who knows, maybe I'll join her protesting!" She paused. "Actually, that doesn't like a bad idea."

"What? You can't be serious." He frowned when she gave him a serious expression. "Oh boy. You are serious, aren't you?"

Dasom smirked. "What can I say? I love to trouble my arch-nemesis!"

 

"I'm really glad you decided to join me, Dasom! We should do this more often!"

Just like Taemin had said, Jieun was planning to make a big complaint towards Myungsoo's success. The two girls met in front of the school, where there were a few students lurking around the area. Jieun had a large megaphone in her hand while her other arm carried a rolled-up banner. She handed one end to Dasom, who held onto it as Jieun started to unroll the banner. The big sign wrote, "KIM MYUNGSOO YOU " with black, bold letters. At the corner of the banner, there was an unusually sizable text that read, "FOR HYUNWOO HONEY" in pink with several hearts following the words.

Dasom pressed her lips and nodded her head, amused with the text.

"We definitely should do this more often," she said, completely agreeing with the black text.

"I just can't believe that he got accepted to Seoul National University! It's ridiculous and unfair!" Jieun cried out, completely outraged.

"Didn't Hyunwoo make plans to go to a school out of the country?" Dasom reminded her.

"He did, but I just wanted to do this to let him know publicly that I love him," Jieun said, grinning. "Hyunwoo would get mad if I just wrote this—" She pointed at the pink text. "—and screamed my love. It's better to use Myungsoo to hide my true intentions." She giggled. "Well, it's not like it's going to be hidden. If Hyunwoo loves me, he'll get my message!"

As Jieun started humming, Dasom smiled at her.

"I'm glad things are working out for you," Dasom told her. "To be honest, I still don't like Hyunwoo a lot, but things are looking good for you."

"I don't you dislike Hyunwoo that much. If you did, then you wouldn't have helped me get together and pursue this love," Jieun said. She turned to her friend. "I'm glad to have a friend like you, Dasom."

Touched, Dasom placed her free hand over her heart. "Aw, that's so sweet! I love having a friend like you, too, Jieun. Taemin might call us troublesome, but I think we're perfect angels."

"Exactly," Jieun said, nodding her head enthusiastically. She turned to the crowd. "Alright! Let's do this!" She the megaphone. The megaphone screeched, garnering attention. "Attention! Attention! We are the Anti-Myungsoo group! Attention! Kim Myungsoo—who got accepted to Seoul National University—has put the standard so high that we are unable to meet such a high expectation! How do you expect Hyunwoo to do well under these tight conditions?"

"That's right!" Dasom screamed. "You , Kim Myungsoo! You tutored me and made me suffer throughout the entire summer! Shame on you!"

"Yeah! Shame on you!" Jieun said through her megaphone. "All those who agree that Myungsoo , please join us!"

"J-O-I-N-U-S! Join us!" Dasom yelled, shaking the banner.

A few students started to gather around the two. Some laughed while others started to record them. For most of the students, it was a typical event where Jieun was showing off her love towards Hyunwoo. The only reason why people were finding this more interesting was that Dasom was part of it, and if you added a pretty girl to an event like this, people were bounded to look and see what was going on.

"You , Kim Myungsoo! You !" Dasom and Jieun chanted, raising the banner up and down.

"Do we get Hyunwoo or Taemin?" someone in the crowd whispered.

Jieun pointed at the person who asked the question. "Get them both, I tell you! Get them both! Watch them try and pull us apart!"

"They can't!" Dasom exclaimed. "We're inseparable!"

"Get both," someone else said.

"I'm calling Taemin," another person stated.

"Captain, what do we do?" Dasom asked Jieun. "It seems like our enemies are getting reinforcements!"

"We continue on!" Jieun declared. She shook her end of the banner violently while continuing to scream in the megaphone. "You , Kim Myungsoo! You !"

The two girls continued to yell in protest. More people gathered, but at one point, there was a large group that headed towards their way.

"Excuse me," a familiar voice said. Dasom frowned, noticing the small mutters of "excuse me's."

It's not Taemin, she thought. It's definitely not Hyunwoo. So if it's neither Taemin or Hyunwoo, then who could it be…

"Excuse me, sorry…"

The boys appeared at the front. Dasom and Jieun immediately sealed their lips and nervously looked at Myungsoo and Baekhyun, who finally made their way through the crowd. 

"Dasom?" Baekhyun called. 

Dasom faked a laugh. "Um, hi…"

"Oh, I thought this was some kind of hate group," Baekhyun said. He glanced at the sign. "Well, it doesn't look like it since there's 'FOR HYUNWOO HONEY' with a lot of hearts."

"What is this?" Myungsoo asked, feeling a bit confused and lost.

"I heard you got accepted into Seoul National University," Dasom said.

Myungsoo shot a quick glare at Baekhyun. Baekhyun raised his hands up to his chest.

"It wasn't me, dude! I swear!" Baekhyun promised.

"Then who—"

"I heard it from Taemin," Dasom explained.

"Taemin…Oh, that smart kid," Myungsoo said. He clicked his tongue. "I should've known." He looked at the sign. "So what's all this?"

"We're protesting because you set the expectations for the students in this school to do exceedingly well in academics," Jieun said, still speaking through her megaphone even though the boys were a few feet away.

"Oh," Myungsoo said. He wasn't exactly sure as to what to tell the girls. Instead, he was more bothered over the fact that Dasom didn't seem interested in his success. If anything, he had expected her to come chasing after him. He didn't think that she would go even further away from him.

"So should I call Hyunwoo or Taemin?" Baekhyun asked Jieun. "I mean, we need to break this up sooner or later, right?"

"You can call either, but calling Hyunwoo is highly preferred," Jieun told him.

"Alright, Taemin it is," Baekhyun said. He smiled when he saw her scowl. "What? I'm picking the better candidate."

"Hyunwoo is number one and he will always be!" Jieun shouted.

"Anyway," Dasom said, turning to Myungsoo, "why didn't you tell me that you were accepted to Seoul National University? Is that what you were trying to hide from me?"

Myungsoo pressed his lips. "Well, I kind of wanted to be the one to tell you…"

"So why didn't you tell me this morning or something?" she asked. She frowned. "I'm disappointed in you, Kim Myungsoo."

Myungsoo dropped his jaws. "Excuse me? I should be the one who's disappointed!" 

"Why would you be disappointed?"

"Because I actually thought that you'd be impressed!" he revealed. "I thought you'd actually praise me or something!"

"Praise you? You know that when I get home, my mom is going to be all over this! She's going to give me a full lecture on why I can't be like you!"

"I…Did nothing change?" he asked her.

"What would change?" Dasom frowned at him. "Also, you didn't tell me why you didn't tell me."

"I didn't want to tell you because I thought you'd like me for getting into a good college instead of liking me for who I am!" he cried out.

Dasom would surely regret the next words she was about to spill, but she leaked them out anyway:

"I thought you were done liking me?"

Myungsoo, finally reaching his limits, marched towards Jieun. Baekhyun stared at him with wide eyes and attempted to stop him, but lost his grip on Myungsoo's sleeves as the elite boy pulled away and walked towards Jieun. Myungsoo snatched Jieun's megaphone, causing her to gasp and glare at him. As she demanded him to return her megaphone, Myungsoo turned around and marched back to Baekhyun and the crowd. Jieun and Dasom stared at him with utter confusion, unsure of what he was going to do this.

Then, Myungsoo stopped in front of Baekhyun, who gave him a perplex expression. Taking a deep breath through his nose, Myungsoo whirled around, facing Dasom. He the megaphone, causing it to screech a little in the beginning. The crowd nearby groaned and so did Jieun, but Myungsoo stared straight into Dasom's, who didn't do anything to block out the screeching echo.

The wind started to blow harder. Autumn leaves of all kinds of color shook off the tree, falling down slowly like crimson and golden feathers descending under the afternoon sky. Without a moment of hesitation, Myungsoo raised the megaphone to his lips with one hand while the other hand was tucked into his pocket.

"Kim Dasom!" Myungsoo shouted, making sure if words got through her. Dasom slowly tilted her head, showing that she was listening. He took out his hand from his pocket and opened his arm. "I know you rejected me before and I know that I accepted your rejection! I know you're going to be mad at what I'm going to say next, but how can you blame a guy for doing anything he can to get his feelings across to the woman he loves?"

"Oh my gosh," Jieun whispered to Dasom. "He's going to do it."

"He's crazy," Dasom mumbled quietly, her eyes still glued on Myungsoo.

"He's going to do it!"

"He's crazy—!"

"Kim Dasom!" Myungsoo repeated, calling her name again. Then, in a weak voice, he croaked out, "I still love you. Love me back?"

Dasom felt her heart race. Her cheeks grew red and she could hear the students hoot and whistle, chanting for her to accept his feelings. There was nothing going through her mind except for Myungsoo's confession. She groaned and covered her face with one hand while looking away, embarrassed.

God damn it. This is why I hate him, Dasom reminded herself.

 

Day 308-Dasom
Myungsoo confessed to me in this huuuge crowd. It was super, suuuper embarrasing!