No Invitation

To Trouble Thee

Jieun loved it when she was at the special classroom where only the top students were in. She wasn't a top student; in fact, she was one of the worse academic students. Still, she didn't care about the school rankings. What could a small list do to her love with Hyunwoo?

"Excuse me, young lady," a stern voice said. The teacher in charge of teaching the special class slapped her ruler against the desk. "I don't see you having the advance student's patch ironed to your clothes."

"Oh, I'm from classroom 2-D. I just wanted to come here to see the love of my life," Jieun chirped up. Someone behind her snickered, while others whispered and mocked her clueless mind.

Mrs. Yang cleared , then crossed her arms while glaring down at Jieun. It was clear that she wanted the student out of her classroom, but Jieun wouldn't budge.

"So who is this 'love of your life'?" Mrs. Yang asked.

"Lee Hyunwoo," Jieun announced proudly. At the corner, a group of popular friends laughed out loud, causing the other advance students to chuckle along. Jieun frowned and glared at everyone who was mocking her. She got up on the chair and glowered at the group of friends, who stopped laughing, but kept grinning. "Hey, hey! What's so funny? I'll have you know, when I get married with the second best student in our grade, you all won't get the wedding invitation–"

The door slid open and Taemin rushed in. He calmly walked over to Jieun, grabbed her by the waist, then pulled her down from the chair. For a few minutes, Jieun struggled to protest, but when she realized how Taemin was desperate to bring her down to the ground, she had to give in. She pouted and crossed her arms like a little toddler, while Taemin turned to the teacher tiredly and bowed in apology.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Yang. She just gets a little overly excited when she talks about her crush. I'll make sure to watch her as much as possible," Taemin promised.

"Well, this isn't the first time. I'll thank you for helping out, though. By the way, why weren't you attending class today? I didn't receive an excuse slip," Mrs. Yang said, raising her eyebrow.

"The student council members were supposed to pass them out earlier, but most of them slacked off and gave it to a some teachers. I'm going around to hand over the remaining excuse slips. Here you go." Taemin reached over to his pocket and pulled out a neatly folded excuse slip. "Please excuse Lee Taemin and Lee Hyunwoo until the next class. Hyunwoo has been invited by the student council members to help out to plan the upcoming spring fair."

The classroom broke into a loud chatter, excited by the news of the spring fair. Mrs. Yang smiled at him, then took the excuse letter to leave on her desk. She thanked the responsible student, then asked him to leave with Jieun. Taemin obeyed her command and took Jieun outside of the classroom, where she was still mad about what happened before.

"Spring fair? So that's what Hyunwoo's been doing lately… He should've told me!" Jieun whined, feeling disappointed.

The spring fair was pretty big. It was the first main event at the school, and it was also the day where several students got the chance to present what they have been doing at school. They would hold mini-games, musical or plays, and sometimes they would have food stands. The event went on for three straight days: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. On the last day, the students had the chance to close early so that they could spend time checking out what their classmates did. It was a popular start to find romance, especially since it gave the students the chance to interact with students of all ages.

Last year, Jieun remembered spending the entire day with Hyunwoo, following him and chasing after the poor boy who just wanted to be left alone. It was also the day where a girl tried to get close to him, but fortunately, Jieun managed to scare her away. She did remember seeing Hyunwoo's disappointed face, but she figured that it was something totally unrelated to the girl.

"Jieun, you should really go back to class right now before the teacher gets mad. I'm sure Hyunwoo would want that, too," Taemin said. After all, he doesn't really like you.

"That's nonsense! Of course Hyunwoo likes me! Why do you think he asks for my company?" Jieun asked, giggling while skipping away.

When she was far enough from Taemin, she slowed down at looked outside the window, where she spotted Hyunwoo helping out. Her heart skipped a beat as she noticed Hyunwoo his dry lips, thirsty for some water. She quickly looked around her, hoping that there was a vending machine somewhere to buy a bottle of water. When she realized that there were none, she ran down the stairs, knowing that there was a vending machine at the first floor.

Tap, tap, tap, tap.

As she traveled down the stairs, she began to wonder how this year's spring fair would be. Would she follow Hyunwoo again? Last year, she wasn't much of a help for the class, who were working hard to hold up a gaming booth. She spent most of her time going to the special class, watching them use their extraordinary skills to create the best activity they could. Hyunwoo had looked like he was enjoying the moment, but the moment she had stepped into the classroom, he had that solemn look on his expression.

Tap, tap, tap.

It took her a while to think of why Hyunwoo made such a face. She felt something poke her chest, but she completely ignored the painful feeling. She even remembered how when she returned to her own class, her classmates would scold her for being irresponsible and a "lazy-." Even Taemin had told her to cut it out and go help her class, but was it so wrong to love a man and chase after his love?

Tap, tap.

She didn't understand why so many people found her annoying. No one had asked for her help last year, yet they had kept telling her to do something productive. In her defense, she was doing something productive; she was doing her job to chase after Hyunwoo. Sure, he seemed a little cold, but Jieun knew by heart that it was because he was too embarrassed to express his feelings.

Tap.

"Oh my gosh. What in the world are you doing her?" a harsh voice snarled at her. Jieun blushed as she saw Hyunwoo stand in front of her. He was just about to put money in the vending machine, and Jieun was just in time to pay for him.

"Here, let me," Jieun said, charging straight towards the machine. She quickly pushed in her coins and pressed a button for a bottle of water. After the cold bottle came out, she bent down and gave it to Hyunwoo. "Your welcome!"

"I didn't want water," Hyunwoo blurted. "I wanted orange juice. Plus, I was getting drinks for someone else."

"Who?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. Could it be for Taemin?

"The principal's daughter. You know, Soojung?" he said, putting in his own coins.

Soojung? It was a girl's name, and it sounded awfully familiar. Except Jieun couldn't quite remember who the name belonged to. Either way, it was a girl's name, and a random girl was dangerous.

"You must be really busy! Why don't I give the drink to her?" Jieun asked, flashing a smile.

Hyunwoo stared at her. "Are you serious? Jieun, don't you remember what you did last time when I did this?"

"What? What did I do?"

"You took the bag of drinks and just threw it at the girl. She got a bruise on her forehead, and when she tried to confess to me during the spring fair, you got in the way. Last year, it was okay since it was a random girl, but this year, I really need to up to Soojung," Hyunwoo told her.

"Hyunwoo, are you listening to yourself? You are not in love with this idiotic girl! She's just the principal's daughter! There is no way that she can ever hook up with you!" Jieun exclaimed, stopping Hyunwoo from moving forward. I will absolutely not let him get closer to her!

"Jieun, can you just shut up? Leave me alone for once," Hyunwoo barked, shooting her a glare.

"Hyunwoo, you're meant to be mine! We're meant to be together! We share mutual feelings! Don't you see?" Jieun grabbed ahold of Hyunwoo's wrist, but he quickly pulled back. Whoever this Soojung girl is, she was really dangerous!

"Looks like you got an obsessive girlfriend," a voice said from behind. The two looked up and saw a skinny first-year approach them. She took the orange juice from Hyunwoo's hand and smiled. "Thanks for the drink."

Hyunwoo gave her a flirty smile. "No problem. By the way, when did you come?"

"I came when I heard 'mutual feelings.' I can see why you want to break up with her, though," Soojung said, opening the can.

Jieun crossed her arms. "Look lady. I don't care who you are, but Hyunwoo is mine. There is nothing you can do to break him and me apart!"

"Wow. I can't believe you're actually dating her," Soojung muttered, staring at her from head to toe.

"We were never dating. She's unable to face reality," Hyunwoo muttered. Then, he flipped his bangs. "Though who can resist such an amazing guy like me? I won't be surprised if you wanted to date me."

"Lee Hyunwoo! How could you!" Jieun gasped, bewildered by his flirts. "You're supposed to be flirting with m–"

A hand covered , and Jieun didn't even need to think twice to know who the hand belonged to. She rolled her eyes upwards, where she found Taemin giving her a disapproving look. He clicked his tongue and shook his head, but he was panting quietly as if he had ran over to the group.

Obviously annoyed with his interception, she stuck out her tongue and the palm of his salty hand, causing Taemin to yelp while wiping her saliva on her blazer.

"Aw, you're nasty!" Taemin cried out.

"Shut up! Why are you hear?" Jieun snapped.

"I thought you were going back to class, but when I went to your class, you weren't there. Then I saw you desperately hanging onto Hyunwoo, and now here I am," Taemin explained. "Can't you just go back to class?"

"You know her, Taemin?" Soojung asked, raising her eyebrow. She squinted her eyes, then dropped her jaws. "Oh my gosh. Isn't this girl with that creepy obsession for guys?"

"I only love Hyunwoo from the bottom of my heart," Jieun corrected, sticking out her tongue.

Taemin pulled back her ponytail, causing her to scream in pain. "Jieun, get ahold of yourself. Go back to class."

"I won't until I get this girl far away from Hyunwoo!" she declared, pointing at Soojung with her index finger.

"If it helps, this girl is my girlfriend. Her name is Jung Soojung. I told you that we were dating," Taemin said tiredly, letting out a deep sigh.

Jieun blinked her eyes. "You're dating?"

"Yes."

"And you never told me?"

"I told you, but you went off to Hyunwoo."

She kept quiet afterwards, feeling guilty for not listening to his important announcement. Taemin sighed and walked up to Soojung, who seemed startled to see him.

"Sorry about this. I'll take her away," Taemin apologized, grabbing Jieun's wrist.

Soojung almost glared at him. "Shouldn't you be taking me away instead?"

"If I do that, then Hyunwoo won't be able to help out." Taemin snorted, then dragged Jieun away. 

Soojung smiled and waved at them, watcing the two disappear at the corner of the building. Once the two were out of the scene, she turned to Hyunwoo and crossed her arms. Seeing her reaction, Hyunwoo could only tell that whatever would happen next, it wasn't going to sound nice.

"You really have to ' up to me,' hm? Let me just tell you that I heard your entire conversation with her and I know the relationship you have with Taemin. Don't try to make me your girlfriend to be number one because for your information, I'm using Taemin for my own benefit as well," Soojung hissed, gritting her teeth. "Make sure you tell that girl to stay away from Taemin. I just told everyone that I'm dating Taemin, and if he keeps hanging around with that girl, people are going to question me."

Hyunwoo laughed and rolled his eyes. "I should've known that you were somewhat fishy. If I remember correctly, there isn't another girl in this school who can match up to you."

"I have to try hard, especially since Taemin told me that he would break up with me if I start slacking off," Soojung muttered. "That guy is so annoying. Seriously, if he wasn't number one in the school, I wouldn't even be dating him."

"Huh, it seems like we both of similar dislikes. That's nice to know," Hyunwoo added, grinning.

"Don't lump me with your kind," she said with a bitter tone. "Anyway, tell her to back away from Taemin, okay?"

"Can't. If you didn't know, she's one of his closest friend," he mentioned.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?" Soojung asked, scratching her head.

"Don't know, but don't come and ask me for help. I never want to do anything with Jieun."

"Tch. Maybe you don't want to be in her world, but she definitely wants to be in yours. Good luck with that, Lee Hyunwoo," Soojung said, giving him a friendly pat. He glowered at when she gave him a sarcastic grin.

"Well, you know what? Good luck trying to date the number one guy in our school. Don't be surprised if you see a bunch of girls swarming around you," Hyunwoo said, shoving his hands in his pocket.

"Why? I'm the principal's granddaughter. They would all be suspended if they touched me," she said proudly.

"Guess what? If you weren't the principal's granddaughter, I would guaranteed that Taemin's little fan club would trample all over you and make your middle school life miserable," he said earnestly.

Soojung raised an eyebrow. "Middle school life? We're in high school."

"I've seen his little group of fans take action, and it's frightening," the boy said, shuddering while ignoring Soojung's little comment. "Trust me, if you want to know how it feels to have a group of girls yell at you every day, just go ask Jieun. She was a victim of Taemin's fan club when he attempted to confess to her."

The girl frowned, confused with Hyunwoo's comment. As he walked away, she couldn't help but lean against the vending machine, contemplating on his words. After a while, she scoffed and clicked her tongue while staring at the corner where he disappeared.

"And I thought you didn't even care about that girl," Soojung muttered, walking away to see if she could help out with anything for the upcoming spring fair.

 

During lunch, Jieun found herself unusually alone. She couldn't find Dasom or Junhee, who were supposed to meet her at the cafeteria to eat. Eunji had disappeared as well, and she was supposed to lend her the history homework Jieun forgot to do. Byunghun was invited to sit down with some popular kids (most of them were from the basketball team), and Taemin went to spend his extra time hanging out with his girlfriend. She wanted to eat lunch with Hyunwoo, but he seemed too busy. As much as she loved Hyunwoo, she knew that she needed to give him a little personal space.

"Lee Jieun…" His voice rang inside Jieun's tiny ears.

"Yes?" Jieun asked with a bashful smile.

"When I said that you can eat here, I didn't mean that you could eat right next to me, where I'm working on painting the posters!" he exclaimed, throwing the dry brush against the floor. "I need to paint this entire poster, so please give me some personal space!"

"I am!" she protested. "Look! I'm approximately a centimeter away from the poster!"

"Jieun, if it's possible, can you stand, like, twenty meters away from this poster?"

"Nope! Not possible! That's, like, standing outside of the classroom!" she chirped up happily.

"That's exactly what I want you to do!" he shouted. The two of them turned around when they heard something clatter. It took a while for them to realize that it was Chanyeol, who was suddenly flustered at the sight of seeing Jieun. "Oh, hey Chanyeol. You can put the empty cans over there, and bring the brushes with the new paint here."

"Y-Yes!" Chanyeol stuttered, reaching down to grab the cans he dropped. He walked across the room, but his eyes never left Jieun.

On the other hand, Jieun soon lost interest in the new boy, and turned to Hyunwoo, hoping to strike a conversation with him. Before she knew it, Chanyeol squeezed in between the two, causing Hyunwoo to scoot away for more space. He innocently stared at Jieun, giving her a bashful smile as she tilted her head in confusion and in annoyance.

"Who are you?" Jieun questioned him bluntly.

Chanyeol's face slightly fell. "I'm Park Chanyeol. You know, Junhee's art friend?"

Oh yeah, the dude who convinced Junhee to join the art club. He's also the one she's crushing on. I better do my best to support her! Jieun thought, mentally pumping a fist. "I remember you! You know, you and Junhee are pretty close, huh?"

I better not give her the wrong idea about me and Junhee. After all, we're just friends, the tall boy thought. "Eh, not really. I just talk to her whenever I'm bored."

"Really? I mean, I thought you two were close. It would be nice if you two were closer, though," Jieun muttered, her eyes drifting off to Hyunwoo's hand. She stared at his graceful movements, watching the paint brush glide across the large butcher paper. Man, I wish I was the brush right now!

"W-Well, I mean, we're kind of close. Not too close, but close enough to your liking," Chanyeol defended, scooting a bit closer to Jieun. Before he could take another step, he felt something soft poke his ribs. He let out a quiet cry and rubbed his sore rib, looking at Hyunwoo who was handing him a paint brush.

"If you're going to talk, you might as well paint. I heard that you're a good painter," Hyunwoo said, getting up on his two feet. "Meanwhile, I'm going to go and find Taemin. I need to ask him what else to do after this."

Jieun shot up from the ground. "I'll go with you, darling!"

Hyunwoo groaned to himself. "No, it's okay Jieun. I'd rather have you help this guy out."

"Oh, he'll be fine! He's a man after all. Right, Chaeyeon? " Jieun asked, pleading that he would follow along.

"U-Um, it's Chanyeol. Actually, I would like some company…"

When the door slid open, everyone turned to find Junhee and Dasom walking into the room. The two seemed surprised to find that the room was occupied, especially Junhee. At that moment, Jieun jumped over to Hyunwoo's side and locked her arms around his, startling the boy.

"There! Problem solved! Junhee, Dasom, go ahead and accompany this boy. Hyunwoo, let's go and find Taemin!" Jieun cheered. She dragged him away before Hyunwoo could let out another word.

Chanyeol's heart dropped, obviously depressed over how Jieun was gone. Junhee gave him a pitiful stare, but remained silent as she looked to Dasom, wondering what they were going to do next. On the other hand, Dasom saw this as a chance for Junhee to get along with the artistic man. The love expert quickly patted Junhee's shoulder.

"Oh my gosh! I totally forgot that I need to go and see Myungsoo. He owes me… bread! Sorry Junhee, but I'm going to leave you here with this guy," Dasom said. She pushed the red-haired girl closer to Chanyeol and took off, giggling and snickering.

After walking for some time in the hallway, Dasom found Eunji holding the journal. She skipped over to her friend, who was alone and lost.

"Hey there, Eunji! You didn't give the journal to Jieun yet?" she asked.

"Um, I gave it to her, but she suddenly gave it back to me. She was talking about how Hyunwoo needed her to act like his body guard and wife…?" Eunji mumbled, not exactly sure why she was holding the journal. The two girls opened it up, then flipped the pages until they arrived at Jieun's entry.

 

Day 10 - Jieun
I had lunch with my husband~! (Note to self: don't invite the special class students to your wedding.)