Splash of Ignorance

To Trouble Thee

"Dasom is skipping school again?"

The five friends gathered at Byunghun's class, where they decided to have lunch together. For the past three days, Dasom wasn't attending school. Even though the autumn festival was over, she still wouldn't return to school. When Myungsoo had publicly confessed his feelings, Taemin had appeared to break up the scene, making her unable to answer his confession properly.

"Why is she skipping school again?" Eunji asked. "It's just a confession."

"We can say the same thing about you and Daehyun," Byunghun said.

Eunji turned bright red. "Y-You heard?"

"Anyway, I say that we go and visit Dasom as soon as possible!" Jieun declared loudly, garnering attention from Byunghun's classmates.

"I can't today," Junhee said. Everyone looked at her. "Sorry."

"Why not?" Eunji asked.

"You're usually the only one who's free," Taemin pointed out.

"Niel and I are hanging out later. I promised him before," Junhee vaguely explained.

"Recently, you and that first-year are getting well," Eunji said, smiling at her.

"Maybe too well," Jieun murmured, narrowing her eyes. "Come on, Junhee. Are you really going to leave Dasom in the dumps for some kid?"

"But I made a promise, and I intend to keep it," Junhee said. She got up from her seat. "Well, I'll be going now."

"Where are you going now?" Jieun asked.

"Back to class. I didn't finish my math homework and it's next period," Junhee told them. "Talk to you guys later. Maybe we can rearrange the plan to go to Dasom's house? I'm available tomorrow."

"Fine, fine. You're dismissed," Jieun said, swinging her feet back and forth. Junhee nodded and walked away, heading to her classroom. Jieun sighed. "I wish Chanyeol would make his move already."

"Chanyeol?" Taemin repeated. "Isn't he the artsy kid? What does he have to do with Junhee?"

"You can't see it? He's totally into her," Jieun cried out. "You have to be blind to not be able to see that."

"I don't see it either," Byunghun said.

"You boys know nothing about love."

"As if you know anything."

While Byunghun and Jieun began to bicker, Eunji and Taemin watched them in silence, smiling to themselves.

 

Just like Junhee had said, she met up with Niel after school at the entrance of the school. She wasn't really what he wanted from her or why he was inviting her out to play, but she didn't really care as long as they were going to talk about something musical. 

Niel is a good friend to keep, she thought as she smiled while he excitedly started to talk about how well their class did during the autumn festival. He stopped himself for a brief moment when he realized that she had been staring at him for some time.

"Is there anything on my face?" he asked.

"No, I was just thinking that you're a really good friend," she said.

"Is a friend all you can see in me?" Niel asked curiously with a bit of a hurtful expression on his face.

"It's a compliment," Junhee told him. "Anyway, where are we going?"

"Where do you want to go?"

She stared at him. "You didn't plan on where to go and you invited me to hang out?"

"I just wanted to hang out with you. I don't really care about where we go."

Junhee frowned. She didn't really know where to go to hang out. Usually, she would blindly follow her friends to wherever they wanted to go—

Oh yeah, she remembered, Dasom is the one usually dragging all of us around.  She looked up at the sky, remembering that Dasom was probably at home, sulking over something that didn't really mean much to Junhee, but meant a lot more to Dasom. She started to feel bad about not being able to make it to Dasom's house. I should get her a gift, or else she's going to rant about what kind of friend I am.

She looked at Niel. "Do you mind if we stop by at a small store over there? I want to pick out a gift for my friend."

"Sure," Niel said. "For who?"

"Dasom."

"Oh, she's the girl that Myungsoo confessed to, right? Did she reply?"

"No. She ran out away and didn't come to school since," Junhee said. "My friends and I were supposed to gather and go check up on her, but I told them that I made plans with you so that I couldn't make it."

Niel nodded his head. He smiled, liking the thought that he came first before her friends.

"So what are you going to buy?" he asked after clearing his throat.

"Something Dasom might like. I'm not too good with picking out gifts. Do you have any suggestions?" she asked him.

"No, I actually don't. I'm pretty bad with picking gifts myself," Niel said, chuckling.

The two entered a gift shop, where colorful items, stationery, and school supplies rested across the shelves. They walked further into the room, searching for anything that looked appealing and in budget.

Niel glanced at Junhee a couple of times, wondering if she would start a conversation. However, she seemed too occupied with trying to find the right item for her friend. He frowned, obviously displeased, but kept quiet while she browsed through the shelves a bit longer.

Just pick one already, he thought tiredly.

"Hey," Niel said, trying to start a conversation, "can I ask you something?"

"Hm? Yeah, sure," Junhee said.

Niel rested his head against the wall as Junhee continued to pick up items and observe them. "Do you have anyone you like in particular?"

Chanyeol crossed her mind. She blushed before putting the item in her hand back on its shelf. She awkwardly looked away and pretended to search for another item, but her mind was too occupied with Chanyeol.

"U-Um, kind of. I guess?" she said, trying to sound like she didn't care.

Niel didn't fall for her little act. "Do you like Chanyeol?" She turned even redder. "But he likes art."

"So?" she asked.

Niel raised an eyebrow. "You like music."

"Yeah. I like music and he likes art."

"You guys don't have anything in common," he said.

Junhee made a small smile. "I know, but I grew to like him and to respect what he likes."

"I don't get it."

"You'll get it someday."

Niel frowned. "I don't think I ever will."

"Enough about me," Junhee said. She turned to him. "Do you have anyone you like?"

"I like you."

Junhee laughed. "Thanks, Niel. I like you, too—"

"No, I mean I like you."

Junhee stopped browsing the items in front of her. Her eyes glanced over to Niel, who was standing behind her, giving her a serious look. She paused for a second, trying to think about what he had just said.

Suddenly, her cheeks started to become red. She pointed at herself, speechless, while Niel chuckled lightly. He gazed into her eyes warmly as he slipped his hands into his pocket.

"I really like you," he confessed.

"M-M-Me?" she stuttered, shocked. "I'm sorry, Niel, but—"

"You don't have to reply right now," Niel told her. "I'll wait."

There's nothing to wait for, though. My answer is the same, she thought. She tried to tell him, but he raised his hand in front of him.

"Please don't say anything now. I really want you to think about it. Even though you think it's going to be the same, things might change."

Junhee frowned. "Niel, I don't think that's right. I—"

"Well, that's it for now! I'll be going!" Niel exclaimed. He bid her a quick "goodbye" before running out of the store, leaving Junhee completely dumbfounded.

I don't get it. My feelings won't change, she thought. She glanced down at the items in front of her, carefully observing each figurine before picking out an adorable tiger keychain. This should be enough for Dasom. She smiled and walked to the casher, brushing away Niel's confession from her head while thinking of her lovesick friend.

 

Late after school, Chanyeol was cleaning up the art room. The orange radiance beamed down the opened windows, reminding him that it was time to go home school. As he cleaned up and washed the brushes, he couldn't help but sense that someone was behind him. He slowly turned around, noticing that Niel had been watching him for quite some time. He jumped, alarmed, but sighed in relief.

"What do you want?" Chanyeol asked after regaining his composure.

"Is there anything I need?" Niel asked back.

"No, so what I'm basically trying to ask is, 'What are you doing here?' You have no business to be here."

"I told Junhee that I like her."

Chanyeol didn't move from the sink. The brushes were already cleaned, but he let the water in the sink run a bit longer. His mind went blank, but his heart throbbed against his chest, causing him to cringe every time he swallowed. He tried to compose himself, but worry had taken the best of him. He whirled around and stared at Niel, who had a triumphant smile on his face.

"Why did you do that?" Chanyeol asked him. "Are you trying to make fun of me?"

"I'm not," Niel said seriously. "As of now, I'm waiting for her response. She said that she'll think over it."

"How…Why…I don't get it. You appear out of nowhere and Junhee reacts to your confession?" Chanyeol looked at the ground in dismay. "You appeared out of nowhere! Nowhere!"

"Did you think that you'd earn love just by watching?" Niel chuckled. "I was right. You really weren't a threat to me." He looked at Chanyeol seriously. "With how you are right now, would you be able to tell her that you like her? I wonder."

Chanyeol opened his mouth. "I—"

"Oh, wait. Sorry for misunderstanding." A snarky grin appeared on the younger boy's face. "You like Jieun, right?"

Chanyeol couldn't say anything else. Sure, he liked Jieun, but he didn't like her that way anymore. Rather, he liked Junhee.

Why is that so hard for me to say? Chanyeol wondered.

"Junhee needs someone who knows music like she does. Recently, I've been getting the feeling that you've been restricting her to your point of view. She's done art, and now she's done with you," Niel said. He turned to leave. "Can you please leave Junhee alone? It's not you or Junhee, it's just me. I don't like seeing her near guys."

Niel disappeared from his sight. Chanyeol stood still, completely shocked with the new announcement. He clenched his teeth as her fingers gripped the rim of the sink. He finally turned off the faucet and starting to dry the brush with a paper towel. After finishing the last of the brushes, he placed them away in a plastic cup before looking out the window. 

He suddenly collapsed and started to squat down on the ground, making a fist while he yelled in frustration. He didn't care who heard him or if there was even anyone around to hear him. He didn't even care if Niel heard him. What he cared the most was that he didn't do anything to make progress with the girl he liked, and he had no one else to blame but himself.

 

Day 316-Junhee
Niel confessed to me. I rejected him—I think.