Art Club

To Trouble Thee

"Wow. Sounds like she went through some adventure after I left," Junhee commented, reading what Dasom wrote yesterday.

The class was having an independent self-study day. Normally, the teacher would be giving them a lecture, but due to an important call, their English teacher had to leave for a few minutes. As the students "quietly" studied, Junhee got distracted by some musical notes she made up in her head. Dying to find the right lyrics, she hoped that she could be inspired by something from the journal. Instead, she found nothing.

A crumbled piece of paper flew on her desk. Naturally, Junhee brushed it away, dropping it to the ground where it rolled to another student's deks. She sighed to herself and closed the journal, feeling kind of sick of writing. She liked to write down musical notes; she didn't like to write down a diary entry. Still, it was interesting. She liked reading her friend's earnest thoughts, and was surprised that they even wrote down their true feelings. 

Another ball of paper landed on her crowding desk. Junhee flicked it away, but was surprised to see another bounce on her desk. She turned around, and saw Chanyeol motioning her to open the paper. Defying him, she grabbed the paper he tossed and aimed it back at him, hoping to hit him somewhere on the head. Being tall and swift, Chanyeol managed to catch the item before it touched him. Junhee scowled, disappointed with his natural instincts. He threw the paper back, repeating the same action he showed her just seconds ago.

Finally, Junhee opened the crumbled paper, reading what he had to say.

Talk to me. - Chanyeol

It didn't take long for Junhee to respond by not writing down a reply. Understanding that she was going to ignore him, Chanyeol crumbled several pieces of paper and threw it at her. After the fifth throw on the head, Junhee opened the papers, only to see that it had one sentence she didn't want to see:

Let me meet Jieun. - Chanyeol

Junhee wasn't sure why, but every time he asked to see Jieun or wanted to talk about Jieun, it made her feel depressed. It wasn't like she considered him to be a friend or anything, so she couldn't understand why her heart was filled with agony when he mentioned Jieun's name.

Did she hate Jieun? Of course not. Jieun was somewhat of a precious friend.

"Pst. Junhee." His deep voice rumbled in her tiny ears. "Did you read what I wrote?"

"Shut up, Park Chanyeol, and go back to self-studying!" Junhee snapped, annoyed by his voice. She was surprised how clearly she could hear Chanyeol's voice. Their seats weren't far from each other, but there were at least two students who would be hearing their conversation.

"Let me see Jieun. I need to be inspired," he begged desperately.

"Go see her yourself. I told you, she's already taken by Hyunwoo."

"Yeah, but they're not dating, right?"

"Well, no, but–"

"Sweet! Okay, so set me up with Jieun."

Did this guy think that everyone was his friend? He was acting as if the two had been close friends since childhood. He obviously didn't understand personal space, and his closeness caused Junhee to be even more irritated.

"I'm not going to do that. Do it yourself," she responded, flipping her practice book to answer some questions.

"Why? This is for my art project. I'm planning to make a grand painting based on her greatness," Chanyeol explained with a smile.

Like I said, do it yourself, Junhee wanted to say. Instead, she kept silent and pretended to ignore him. Another paper fell on her desk. Frustrated by Chanyeol's incapability to understand her, she stood up from her chair and turned around, throwing back the paper at the tall boy.

"Park Chanyeol, I said to stop!" Junhee shouted.

"And I suppose that you should stop shouting in front of the class, Miss Choi?" Mr. Park said from behind. Junhee gasped, then bit her bottom lip while looking away. "I was here to visit the English teacher, Mr. Moon, in order to give him a few files, but it seems like he is not here. Though it appears that I have another thing to give to my wonderful student."

The homeroom teacher pulled out a slip and scribbled something down. Junhee didn't even bother to check what the slip was. When the teacher handed her the yellow paper, she took it while shoving it in her blazer. From behind, she heard someone snicker quietly. Junhee made a fist, knowing by heart that it was Chanyeol who was laughing at her.

When the teacher finally left after dropping off the files, Dasom quickly crept over to Junhee's side and widened her eyes.

"Detention? You actually got detention? Wow, I'm shocked!" Dasom exclaimed.

"It's because of that idiot monkey behind me," Junhee muttered, crumbling the warning slip in her pocket. "Plus, it's not detention. I just have to stay back for a few minutes after school. It's just a warning to brush up my attitude."

When the bell rang for lunch, Dasom went back to her desk to clean up. Junhee sighed and grabbed her lunch from her bag. As she pulled out her small lunch box, Chanyeol approached her with guilty eyes. Still upset, Junhee rushed over to Dasom's side, holding her lunch and the journal in her hands.

"Come on, Dasom," Junhee said. "I want to get out of this room. Let's go eat with the others."

"Seems like Chanyeol wants to tell you something," Dasom said, hinting that the two should stay for a while.

"Nope, I don't need to know what the jerk wants to tell me," Junhee mumbled, flashing her friend a fake smile. "Why don't we hurry before something bad happens?"

"Oh, Junhee!" The two friends turned around, seeing Eunji with a small smile. The two approached her, obviously wondering why she wasn't at their usual hangout.

"What's up, Eunji? Fancy seeing you here," Dasom commented.

"Jieun was supposed to hand this to you, but she ran off and left this with me," Eunji explained, giving her a familiar sheet of paper. It took Junhee a few minutes to recognize that this was the club application she signed up for.

"I signed up for the music club. Why are you giving me this?" Junhee asked.

"Well, it appears that the music club was canceled. It wasn't doing well and the club was pretty pricey. Plus, it wasn't popular, so they basically shut down the club. Everyone who signed up for the music club needs to resubmit their applications to join a new club," Eunji said.

The color drained away from Junhee's skin. "But I don't like anything else except for music…"

"Too bad, you have to. It's required for us to be in a club for at least a semester. It makes the school look good and occupied," Dasom pointed out.

"Taemin is in the student council, so he doesn't have to join any clubs. I joined the cooking club with Jieun. Byunghun's in the basketball club, so he's pretty much settled. Dasom, what club did you join?" Eunji questioned her.

"Me? I joined the literature club," Dasom said.

"Woah, you like reading?" Byunghun, who was on his way to the usual lunch area, walked over to the three other girls. He leaned against the door, joining in their conversation as smoothly as he could.

"Nope, but I heard that you do almost nothing in that club! They say that you don't even have to read. You just need to suggest some books and agree to read it or not. At the end of the week, you hold some discussions and you don't have to say a word!" Dasom squealed, grinning from ear-to-ear as she stared at her friends with glowing eyes.

Eunji rolled her eyes. "Typical. Of course you would choose that club."

"Why don't you join the art club?" Chanyeol suggested from behind. Junhee scowled, then walked away while pulling Byunghun closer to her.

"Let's go, Byunghun! I bet Taemin's already waiting for us, and hopefully Jieun's at our usual table, too," Junhee said, dragging him away.

Chanyeol scratched the back of his head. He knew that he was responsible for Jieun's warning slip, and he felt pretty bad about it. He wanted to apologize, but it seemed harder to do so as Junhee would walk away.

Dasom, who noticed Chanyeol's worried actions, smirked.

"Do you want to join us for lunch?" she offered, causing Eunji to give her a bewildered look.

"Um, instead of joining, can I just follow you guys to Junhee? I feel like I should apologize for what happened earlier," Chanyeol said. "Sure, sure! By the way, we never got to know each other…" Dasom walked away with Chanyeol, talking about the little things she liked.

Eunji stared at the two, then sighed when she felt a strange aura emitting negative energy behind her. She turned around, only to see Myungsoo glowering at Chanyeol, who was quite close to Dasom.

"Um, would you like to join us, too?" Eunji offered awkwardly, not knowing if this was a good decision.

Myungsoo ran up to her, his eyes still on Chanyeol's back. "Don't mind if I do."

 

Junhee felt that their table was more squished than usual. The atmosphere was heavy, and it seemed like it was only their table that was silent. Besides Jieun's giddy stories about Hyunwoo and how he held his sandwich, everyone ate their lunch quietly, exchanging awkward glances and waiting for someone to break Jieun's endless news.

Besides the fact that there are new guests here… She glanced at Myungsoo, then at Chanyeol with a glare. …Why is he still here?

"Then he told me that I was being a nuisance and to go away, but how could I when the way he felt the sandwich was just perfect? He held the sandwich with delicacy as if it was his puppy. Oh wait, never mind. Hyunwoo doesn't have a puppy! But he should totally get one! Oh my gosh, wouldn't that be so cute? No, wait, but if he got the puppy, then he would never have time with me and…"

"Okay, Jieun! We get it. Hyunwoo ate his sandwich," Dasom exclaimed, slamming her hands against the table.

"But do you know how he ate his sandwich?" Jieun asked, raising an eyebrow.

"With delicacy?" Eunji answered, rolling her eyes.

"With upmost delicacy," Jieun corrected.

"Like that makes any difference," Byunghun muttered.

Jieun gritted her teeth. "It makes a ton of difference! Let me start over, since Byunghun clearly didn't get the moral of the story–"

"What moral? There was no moral!" he shouted.

"You–"

"Enough!" Taemin commanded, causing everyone to be quiet. "Am I the only one who's wondering why these two are here?"

Thank you for being alive, Lee Taemin! Junhee cheered in her head, as she stared at Myungsoo and Chanyeol. The two were so engaged into the conversation, it took them awhile to understand what was going on.

When they realized that they were being targeted, Chanyeol decided to speak first. Of course, having the small crush he had on Jieun, he turned a little pink while struggling to look away. Junhee felt something pull her heart.

"Um, I just wanted to apologize to Junhee for getting a warning slip." Chanyeol turned to Junhee. "Sorry, Junhee."

"Forgiven," she replied, knowing that if she hadn't, he would still be stuck at their table.

"I also wanted to add that you should join the art club," he said, flashing her a goofy grin.

"Thanks, but I'm good. I don't–" "

Aw, come on, Junhee. This guy is practically begging for you to join the art club," Byunghun said, pitying Chanyeol.

"But I don't like art. Art is practically nothing when you compare it to music," Junhee argued.

"Hey, art is just as good as music. You don't see the teachers tell their students to create a musical presentation. They ask for a visual presentation, which includes art, which includes my amazing skill," Chanyeol boasted.

"I will never join the art club unless it's the last choice I have on my list," Junhee declared.

Eunji gave her a cheesy smile. "Aw, why? You've been visiting the art club whenever you had free time, right? I thought you were slowly liking art."

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. "Really? You never came in, though. I never saw you."

"Ooh! I think someone's being like Jieun," Byunghun teased.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" Jieun asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Well, she's been watching another guy for quite some time without the guy noticing. I think you know what we're talking about," Taemin said, supporting Byunghun. The two boys exchanged high-fives, causing the girls to roll their eyes.

By now, Junhee was turning red. It wasn't like she wanted to watch Chanyeol paint on purpose. Though every time she had the chance to see him, he looked more focused and happy when he did art. It was certainly more peaceful watching him sketch a bowl of plastic fruits or seeing him paint something with watercolors. She hid her face with her hair, hoping that no one would notice her shy expression.

"Okay, fine! Fine, I'll join your stupid art club, okay? Just take my application. It's at my desk. Now can you go?"

"Really? Are you serious? Are you really joining the art club?" Chanyeol asked, slowly getting up.

"Yes, I am! Just go, okay?" Junhee said quickly. She heard him shout out a cheer, then listened to his footsteps fade away. The embarrassed girl slowly looked up, and was surprised to see all her friends stare at her with a "We know what's going on" look.

"I think that's the first time in a while since I saw Junhee panic. You're usually in a monotone mood," Jieun said.

Before anyone had the chance to say anything else, Taemin heard his phone ring. He fished out his phone, then sighed when he saw the text. He slowly got up from the crowded table, finishing up his loaf of bread as fast as he could.

"Where are you going?" Byunghun asked.

"Girlfriend. Soojung's calling me," Taemin responded. Hearing the first word caused Dasom to frown. 

"Girlfriend? Seriously? You're bragging about your girlfriend in front of me? I had Myungsoo tease me all day yesterday at the library for this," Dasom complained, pointing at the third-year at their lunch table. "By the way, why are you here?"

Myungsoo kept quiet, then glanced at Eunji. When Eunji didn't look at him, he shot up from the table and raised his index finger towards the girl who had invited him earlier.

"She told me to come," he said.

"Eunji?"

"This ain't my fault! He stared at me like I kicked his dawg or somethin'. Why're you all lookin' at me for?" Eunji exclaimed.

"Dialect! Her dialect leaked!" Dasom cried out.

As Myungsoo quietly crept away, the other wild friends (except for Taemin and Junhee) jumped on Eunji, playfully slapping her arm or messing with her hair. Junhee watched Taemin slip away with his phone in his hand, texting his new girlfriend while leaving the others without a response. Junhee scooted away from the squeals and laughs, pulling out the journal from her blazer to write down her journal entry.

 

Day 8 - Junhee
I've joined the art club because of Chanyeol because the music club was shut down.