Second Dream

To Trouble Thee

On one evening at school, Jieun was surprised to see that Hyunwoo was standing outside the doors to her classroom. She blinked her eyes and stared at him for quite some time. Hyunwoo waited for her to say something, but when he figured that she was stunned, he let out a sigh.

"Are you busy Saturday?" Hyunwoo asked her.

Jieun's heart skipped a beat. A date? Is he asking me out on another date?

He raised six tickets in his hand. "I got amusement park tickets, and I don't have anyone else available."

Jieun's eyes shimmered. "You mean that you have no other friends besides me?"

He shot her a quick glare. "I would find people to hang out with, but they're just not on my level."

"Taemin isn't on your level."

"Ha, ha. Very funny."

"You're superior than him," Jieun stated, flattering him.

He smirked, then handed her the tickets. "Here."

"You're giving me all this?"

"Go with your friends. I have no one else to go with," Hyunwoo said.

"But they're your tickets," she said. She looked at him, then pulled one from the pile. "Here."

"What?"

"Take it."

"Are you telling me to go?"

"I want you to go," Jieun said. She smiled. "Besides, if you go, then it'll be like a little date!"

"What about your other friends? You only have four to give away," he pointed out.

"Dasom is getting tutored by Myungsoo on Saturday, so she won't be able to make it. Byunghun is probably going to go on a date with Sohyun, or at least practice for a basketball game. Let's see…I think Junhee, Eunji, and Taemin can go."

"You're still one short," Hyunwoo pointed out.

Jieun frowned for a minute. She looked around, then spotted a particular tall boy standing in the crowd. As she had expected, she saw Junhee standing next to the tall boy with an annoyed expression. Jieun beamed, grabbed Hyunwoo's wrist, then ran up to Junhee with the tickets flying in her hand.

"Junhee! Junhee!" Jieun exclaimed. 

Junhee looked up. "Hi Ji—"

"Look!" Jieun shoved the tickets in front of Junhee's face. "I got amusement park tickets for Saturday!"

"That's gr—"

"You're going to come, right? I'm going to give Eunji and Taemin their tickets, too."

"But Taemin and I were planning to do one final rehearsal before the Special Class goes to their choir concert in two weeks—"

"Can't you reschedule that or something? Please? This is really important!" Jieun begged.

"But—"

"Please?" Jieun pleaded again. She stared at Junhee with her hands folded into a prayer. 

Junhee slightly frowned, obviously displeased with the way she was acting. However, she let out a small sigh and took her ticket from Jieun's hand. Jieun squealed and clapped her hands, then took out a ticket to give to Chanyeol. Junhee and Chanyeol widened their eyes.

"Take it!" Jieun told Chanyeol.

"M-Me?" Chanyeol stuttered, surprised.

"Yep!"

"Why me?" Chanyeol asked, slowly taking it.

"Well, if I give one to Eunji and Taemin, then there's only one ticket left. Besides, you're a good guy… I think," Jieun said. She smiled at the two and waved her hand. "Bye! I need to go and give these two tickets to Taemin and Eunji! Also, Hyunwoo is waiting for me."

"Wait, Jieun! If Chanyeol is going, then I don't really want to g—"

"It's fine!" Jieun exclaimed. "You can bring whoever you want, okay? It doesn't have to be Chanyeol."

"But I want to go," Chanyeol said.

"Great! See you on Saturday!" Jieun said enthusiastically. She scurried off to Hyunwoo, who was already walking away from Junhee and Chanyeol.

When she caught up to him, Hyunwoo gave her a small frown. She blinked her eyes, puzzled at his expression. Then, she snapped her fingers and slightly opened .

"You're jealous!" she blurted.

Hyunwoo stared at her. "What?"

"You're jealous that I gave Chanyeol a ticket!" Jieun pointed out, grinning.

The boy stared at her a bit longer, then looked away while holding a book vertically on his shoulder to cover his face.

"Whatever. You're just hallucinating," Hyunwoo murmured. Jieun giggled, then skipped next to Hyunwoo's side until the bell rang for next period.

 

On Saturday morning, the six found themselves standing at the entrance of the amusement park gate with an unexpected guest: Niel.

"I understand why I'm here," Chanyeol said, obviously ticked off, "but why is he here?"

Niel smiled brightly at Junhee's friend. "Hi! I'm Niel. I'm a first-year."

"I invited him," Junhee said.

"Why?" Chanyeol asked, gritting his teeth as he glared at Niel.

"Because he wanted to come…?" Junhee said, raising her eyebrow. "Are you okay, Chanyeol? We just got here. It would be bad if you ruined the mood now."

"I just don't understand why you would invite him!" Chanyeol cried out. He looked at the others. "Don't you guys have a problem with him?"

"As long as he's not a pest, I'm good," Jieun said, saluting to Niel, who playfully saluted back.

"I don't think Hyunwoo cares much about this, either," Eunji said. She pointed at the crowd. "If you guys didn't notice, Taemin and Hyunwoo wandered off somewhere."

Jieun widened her eyes. "What? Taemin is stealing my husband? Dang it, Taemin! I knew it was a mistake to invite him!"

"I'm sure Hyunwoo dragged him somewhere," Junhee said.

"Ugh! I'm going to go and find Hyunwoo, okay?" Jieun told them.

"Jieun, it's not safe to wander around here alone. At least take someone with you," Eunji said, frowning a bit.

Junhee glanced at Chanyeol, then elbowed his arm. He looked down at her, confused for a second.

"Take this chance," Junhee whispered to him. Chanyeol continued to frown until Niel pushed him closer to Jieun. Chanyeol gasped,but barely caught himself from falling on top of Jieun. He whirled around and glared at Niel, who only smiled and waved his hand.

"Jieun, why don't you take Chanyeol with you?" Niel openly suggested. "I'm sure you have no problem with that, right?"

Chanyeol looked at Junhee, who refused to look into his eyes. I can't read her expression. Dang it!

"Um, uh, yeah. Sure," Chanyeol said, a bit unsure with what to do.

"Great! Come here, big boy," Jieun said, grabbing his sleeve. 

"Woah-ho!" Chanyeol stammered, stumbling over his feet. He continued to follow Jieun, but constantly looked back to see what Niel was doing. He gasped when he saw Niel attempt to put his arm over Junhee's shoulder, but Eunji fortunately pulled Junhee closer to her and pointed at a random ride. He let out a small sigh and looked back down at Jieun.

Wait a minute, he thought. I'm alone with Jieun.

He looked down at his hands, noticing how small her hands were. He frowned a bit. There was something unpleasant about the way her hand felt in his large awkward grip. Jieun didn't seem to mind so much, though. She was too busy trying to find Hyunwoo's whereabouts.

After a few minutes of walking, Jieun finally noticed that she had been holding onto Chanyeol's hand. She casually let it go and watched it swing to his side. She rolled her eyes over to his tall figure until she could see his expression.

"What's wrong?" Jieun asked. "Did you prefer being with Junhee?"

Chanyeol blinked his eyes while turning red. "H-Huh?"

"Well, you can't start regretting it now. That was your fault," Jieun said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"My fault? How is it my fault? I had no say in whether or not I wanted to follow you," Chanyeol pointed out.

"Well, it's definitely not Junhee's fault for encouraging you to come with me when she still thinks that you like me," Jieun countered, "and it's certainly not Niel's fault for chasing you away when he can take advantage of you misleading her."

"So you're making me sound like the bad guy?"

"Yeah," she said bluntly. 

Chanyeol sulked a bit. "Okay, then what about you and Hyunwoo?"

"What about us?"

"Isn't it your fault for being so clingy that he's just running away from you?"

"At least I'm trying to improve," Jieun said. "All you're doing is waiting for the other party to do something." She pointed her index finger at him. "All you're doing is waiting for Junhee to fall in love with you and to say something despite knowing that you 'like' me."

Chanyeol cringed. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"I won't be surprised if that first-year takes her away," Jieun said. "You know, lately, she's been talking about him a lot."

"She has?" Chanyeol asked, shocked.

"Yeah. Those two have similar tastes in music and get along quite well. Taemin says that she invites him a lot to the music room. At one point, he thought that she was dating him," Jieun informed him.

"Ugh…" Chanyeol rubbed his stomach. "I'm feeling sick…"

"Of course you're feeling sick. Nobody likes to hear their crush fall into someone else's hands," she said.

"What do I do?"

"Confess."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"I… I just can't," he told her.

"At least tell her that you love her."

"That's like a confession."

"No. You can tell anyone that you love them, but you can't confess to everyone. Well, you can, but you can't confess to them without sincerity." Jieun frowned. "Actually, you can… Well, you get my drift."

"Do you tell Hyunwoo that you love him every day?"

"I tell him that my dream is to become his wife, too."

"And he listens?"

"No, not really."

"Then what's the point?"

Jieun pressed her lips together. "Sometimes, it's just nice to hear someone say 'I love you' to you. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

"Doesn't it get old?" he asked her.

"Only if you say it without sincerity. If you're serious about it, though, it never gets old," she told him.

Chanyeol sighed. "You're lucky that you can say these things so easily."

"There's nothing hard about it if you're serious. Honestly, I don't get why you're so scared of this. Junhee likes you."

"Yeah…" Chanyeol paused. Then, he widened his eyes and looked at her. "Wait, what?"

Jieun slightly tilted her head. "What?"

"Say that again."

"What?"

"That last part. About Junhee?"

"What about it?"

"Say it again. I need to hear you say it exactly—"

"Oh! It's Hyunwoo and Taemin!" Jieun exclaimed. She ran past Chanyeol and zoomed straight towards Hyunwoo, who was scowling while Taemin had a dull expression. "Hyunwoo! Taemin! Where were you two?"

"We played some mini-games," Taemin said. "Sorry that we ran off without you guys." He paused and looked around. "Where are the others?"

"Chanyeol is over there," Jieun said, pointing to the crowd behind her. "Eunji, Junhee, and Niel went somewhere else, but we can call them—"

"Hold up!" Hyunwoo exclaimed. He pointed his index finger at Taemin. "If there's one thing I need to do, it's having a competition." He raised his hand to the roller coaster. "Let's ride this twenty times!"

Jieun beamed. "Can you take it? This ride gives you a free barf bag!"

Taemin paled a bit. "Hyunwoo, you know that I'm not good with roller coasters or with things above ground."

"Nonsense. Look, I see your three other friends already lining up," Hyunwoo said, pointing at Eunji, Junhee, and Niel. "Come on! I challenge you to a roller coaster challenge! Whoever can stay on the ride without feeling sick wins…!"

 

Hours later, the group found themselves hanging around a bench. Taemin and Junhee were sitting down, feeling uneasy and sick. Hyunwoo, too, was clearly showing signs that he would throw up any minute, but refused to sit down as he believed that it would show weakness.

"Be right back! I'm going to get Hyunwoo a drink!" Jieun told the group. She ran off into the crowd, disappearing from their sight.

Eunji frowned and sighed. "I should go and follow her." She looked at the group. "You guys want water, too?"

"I'll get Junhee's water," Chanyeol said.

"Okay, go on ahead. I'll watch these three," Niel said. 

Chanyeol paused, then squinted his eyes at him. "On second thought, I'll stay. Eunji, can you get Junhee water?"

"Oh, um, sure," Eunji murmured. She ran off into the crowd to the direction Jieun disappeared into.

After a few moments, the two girls came back with a few water bottles in their hands. Jieun happily handed the first bottle of water to Hyunwoo, who only held onto the cool bottle. Eunji passed the two water bottles to Taemin and Junhee, who didn't hesitate to open the bottle and gulp down some fresh water.

"What should we ride again?" Jieun asked Hyunwoo, her eyes glowing with anticipation.

"Why don't we split from here?" Niel suggested.

"Great idea! Hyunwoo, you're with me!" Jieun announced, grabbing onto Hyunwoo's arm.

"Ooh… Be careful. Don't be so pushy, or else I feel like I'm going to throw up," Hyunwoo muttered. Without another word, he followed Jieun and disappeared into the crowd.

Niel smiled brightly at Junhee. "I know you're feeling sick, but can you ride the Ferris Wheel?"

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "What?"

"Ferris Wheel…?" She glanced up at the large circle. "I think I'm good for a ride like that. Actually, it'd be nice to see a view from up there."

"Great!" Niel exclaimed, beaming. He graciously held onto Junhee's hand. "Let's go?"

The two started making their way to the new ride. Chanyeol stood still, clearly dumbfounded. He glanced behind them, only to see Taemin and Eunji stare at him.

"Why don't you go after them?" Eunji asked, giving him a small smile. "I'll stay back here with Taemin."

Chanyeol nodded his head. "Right. Thanks."

The tall boy ran off to find Junhee and Niel. After a few minutes of silence, Eunji finally took a seat next to Taemin, but continued to stare at the direction Chanyeol disappeared off to.

"He's so easy to read, isn't he?" Eunji said.

"Mhm," Taemin muttered. He took another sip of water, then groaned while she sympathetically rubbed his back.

 

"…You're holding back for me, aren't you?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Jieun, I've known you since forever, and I know that you still have some energy in you. You're not the type who's willing to watch an animal show," said Hyunwoo, who was clearly frowning at her.

"I still don't know what you're talking about," Jieun said, humming a tune to herself. She playfully placed a cute tiger-eared headband on his head. She squealed in the inside. "You look so adorable!" She placed a bunny-eared headband on her own head. "We're adorable!"

Hyunwoo sighed. He didn't bother to take off his headband. He looked straight at the stage, where a few animal trainers were giving early treats to certain dogs for a warm-up. He watched one of the trainers command a dog to sit and to shake, which the dog obediently obeyed to. The trainer gave the dog a nice pat and tossed it a treat.

"Jieun?" he asked her. "What do you think of dogs?"

"Dogs?" Jieun repeated. She looked around, then smiled at him. "I can live with a dog. If you want a dog when we get married, then I'm all for it—"

"No," he said. He gazed upon her innocent eyes. "I mean, what do you think of dogs?"

She frowned for a minute, wondering what kind of message he was trying to convey. She looked back to the stage and squinted her eyes a bit, exploring the platform and examining the creatures. Then, she looked back at Hyunwoo with the same smile.

"I don't mind dogs," she said. "I think of them as wonderful creatures."

"But look at them. They look…dominated," Hyunwoo said. "'Shake, sit, lie down, roll over'—You tell it to do something, and it mindlessly does something to gain a treat. Isn't that stupid?"

"They might do everything their owner says, but you're overseeing the good traits," Jieun said.

"What's so good about being a dog?"

"They're spoiled by the owner's love and they have loyalty," Jieun said. "Sometimes, animals are more loyal than humans, you know?"

Hyunwoo kept quiet. Then, he rubbed his hands together hesitantly before starting another topic.

"Jieun, I think I want to go and study in out of the country," Hyunwoo said.

Jieun slightly widened her eyes at this, but only smiled. "Then I'll follow you! I can learn a different language—"

"Jieun, I'm saying this because I want you to start thinking about your future," he told her. "If I'm gone for a period of time, will you be able to live on your own? Will you be able to build your own future without me?"

"My future is nothing without you—"

"Jieun, what I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I'm always going to be there for you," Hyunwoo stated. He looked at her. "I would much prefer it if you find a better dream."

Her smile slightly faded. "But my dream is to be with you…"

He stared at her for a few more seconds. He let out a small sigh, then gazed up at the sky.

"I think what I'm trying to tell you is that you can have more than one dream," he said slowly, checking to see if she was paying attention. "I want you to build a stable future for yourself, in case I'm not there to accompany you. Isn't there anything you liked doing? A hobby, maybe?"

Jieun started to think about everything she had done for Hyunwoo. She snapped her fingers and looked at him with a wide smile.

"I really like making food for you!"

"Then has the thought of being a chef come across your mind?" he asked her.

There was a long pause. From the way Hyunwoo saw it, it looked like he had finally made a dent into her head. She was finally starting to think about her own future—one with either Hyunwoo in it or without.

"A…chef?" she repeated.

"A chef," he confirmed, nodding his head. "You're good at cooking, and you always loved doing it. You don't have to be a five-star chef or anything. You could be the chef at a local restaurant or something."

Jieun glanced at the sky. "That does sound fun…"

"Right? It could be a future where I work on some business-related stuff, and you could be a chef," Hyunwoo said.

"A chef!" she exclaimed, awed at the idea. She turned to Hyunwoo and squealed. "I might actually want to be a chef!"

"Great, now tone down a bit," Hyunwoo said, getting slightly red when she stared nearing him.

"Hyunwoo! I think I also want to be a chef!" she announced.

"This isn't because I told you to be a chef, right? I only suggested the idea—"

"A chef! Hyunwoo, you're brilliant!" she cried out. Jieun beamed at him. "This is one of the many reasons I love you, Hyunwoo!"

"H-Huh?"

"I love you because even though you don't really show it, you really worry about me. I love you because you're always competing with Taemin for first place, even though you're always going to lose to Taemin. I love you because even though you say some mean things, you're doing it for my sake." She grinned. "Everything you do is for my sake, isn't it?"

Hyunwoo quickly looked away. "S-Shut up, okay? Just watch the dog show."

"I also love that part about you, too?"

"What?"

"The part where you always get shy and try to shut me up—"

"I said shut up!" Hyunwoo exclaimed. Jieun smiled and cuddled near Hyunwoo.

"I love you, Hyunwoo," she whispered.

He remained red, but didn't push her away.

 

On the train back, five out of the seven students were asleep, either letting out soft snores or drooling a bit. Hyunwoo glanced at Junhee, who was sitting in between Chanyeol and Niel. She had her head rest against Chanyeol's shoulder, while Chanyeol's head rested on top of her own head.

That looks uncomfortable, he thought. He looked at Taemin, who was sitting in between Eunji and Jieun. The two girls were resting their head on Taemin's shoulder, but he didn't look like he minded a bit.

"Doesn't your shoulders hurt?" Hyunwoo whispered to him.

"I'm good," Taemin whispered back. "Did you have fun today?"

Hyunwoo paused before nodding his head. Taemin smiled, then gently closed his eyes. Suddenly, he felt an empty space occupy his right shoulder. He glanced to his side, only to find Hyunwoo moving Jieun's head onto his own shoulder.

Taemin smirked. "How sly, Hyunwoo. I thought you didn't like it when people use your shoulder to sleep."

Hyunwoo only closed his eyes. "Shut up, Taemin. I'm exhausted."

Taemin gave him a gentle smile. "Well, thanks for the help."

"Mhm," Hyunwoo mumbled back with a small smile.

 

Day 200-Jieun
Went to the amusement park with everyone! I want to be a chef now! Also, I got yelled at by Hyunwoo for sleeping on his shoulder after the train ride.