Calls

To Trouble Thee

One night, Taemin was staring at his phone, contemplating on whether or not to call Soojung. He had been receiving texts and calls nonstop from Hyeri, but nothing from Soojung. He knew that he was going to reject Hyeri, but he had to talk this over with Soojung. It wasn't just a two-person thing anymore—all three of them were involved.

This is a lot more complicated than I wished it was, he thought with a sigh. He rolled over to lie down on his stomach. As he hugged his pillow, he noticed that Hyeri was trying to call him again. He quickly swiped the red "cancel" button, hanging up on her before the third ring.

As soon as he hung up, another call popped up on his screen. Out of instinct, he swiped the red button again, hanging up. A few minutes later, his mother came in with the home phone. He frowned, obviously confused as his mother handed him the phone.

"Your friend is calling," his mother informed him. She left the room for a brief moment, giving him privacy.

"Hello?" Taemin answered.

"Lee Taemin, how could you hang up on me?" the familiar cry exclaimed.

Taemin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "What do you want, Dasom?"

"No, you tell me why you hung up on me right now!" Dasom demanded. He paused for a few minutes when he heard someone mutter in the background on the other line. A few seconds later, a different voice picked up the phone.

"Hello?" the female answered.

"Eunji?" Taemin guessed.

"Hi, Taemin!" Eunji greeted him.

"Hey. What's going on?"

"Oh, Dasom wants us to meet up. We're picking up Junhee right now. We'll go to your house next," Eunji informed him.

"Why are we gathering so late at night?" Taemin asked.

"Um, Dasom wants to make some kind of announcement. I'm not sure what she wants to say, but she wants to say something and needs all of us to be there," Eunji explained. "Oh, Junhee's coming out. Get ready, okay? We'll be at your house in a few minutes."

"Did you guys pick up everyone else?" Taemin asked, getting up from his bed. He grabbed a jacket and started to walk out of his room.

"Yeah. Byunghun and Jieun are pulling Dasom from back from grabbing the phone," Eunji said. "Anyway, we'll be at your in a few minutes, so can you start walking out?"

"Sure," Taemin said. "I'll be waiting outside."

"Alright, bye!"

"Later."

The two hung up. Taemin placed the home phone away and started to head out.

"Where are you going?" his mother asked.

"Out with my friends. I'll be back soon, I promise," he said. His mother gave him a skeptical look. "I know it's dark and all, but it's just a quick talk."

"Okay, fine. Come back as soon as you can, okay?"

"Alright."

With that, he slipped into his sneakers and dashed out the door. He started to walk at a particular direction. Five minutes later, he saw his group approach him from afar. Byunghun and Jieun had their arms locked around with Dasom, who was glaring at Taemin and was struggling to get out of their grip. Eunji waved from afar while Junhee yawned, clearly showing that she had just woken up from a nap.

Taemin waved back and gave them a quick smile. At the intersection of the quiet street, the group gathered. Dasom finally pried away Byunghun's and Jieun's arms and she stormed over to Taemin.

"Oh boy," Byunghun murmured. "She's really mad."

"How dare you hang up on me!" Dasom cried out.

"I'm sorry," Taemin said tiredly. "I did it by instinct."

"By instinct? By instinct?"

"I've been getting calls from…somebody. It's a spam call." He noticed that most of his friend started to look worry. "Don't worry. I'm sure it won't last."

"Are you sure it's spam calls?" Junhee asked.

"Yeah," Taemin lied. "Anyway, why are we meeting up?"

"Oh yeah! First, let's go to the park," Dasom said. She led the group to the nearest park.

As expected, the park was empty. The swing sets slowly swung themselves in the cool breeze while the dead leaves rustled across the asphalt. Dasom started to walk up to the highest part of the playground while the rest either sat at the swings or stood around the playground. She looked down at her friend triumphantly before pointing at Byunghun.

"Byunghun, do you have the journal?" Dasom asked him.

"Sure do," he answered. He raised the journal in his hand, then handed it to Taemin. "All yours."

"Thanks," Taemin murmured.

"After Taemin's entry, this is going to be the last of it," Dasom said.

The group became quiet. They looked at the journal, then back at Dasom. At first, everyone was confused as to why Dasom would want to stop writing in the journal. She had been so passionate about writing down the memories, so why was she telling them that it was time to sum it all up?

"I can still write," Eunji said. "The journal doesn't bother me that much."

"Yeah, I kind of got used to it," Junhee agreed.

"That's not it," Dasom said. She hopped off the playground and stood on their level. "We're going to go on another vacation soon, and after vacation, we're going to be third years. When we're in our third years, we won't have time to fool around and have an additional responsibility like writing in this journal. We need to focus on our futures."

"Do you even know what you want to do?" Byunghun asked.

"Nope, but I think it's a good time to start thinking," she answered. She forced a smile. "That's why, after Taemin writes his entry, I want you to all think of what to write in your last journal entry." Then, she pointed at Taemin. "After we all write and you write the last entry, we're going to bury it!"

"So you want it to be a time capsule?" Taemin clarified.

"Exactly!"

"Where are we going to bury it?" asked Jieun.

"I don't know. I haven't thought that far into it," Dasom said sheepishly.

"You don't have to bury a time capsule. You can just keep it in storage," Taemin added.

"Okay, for how long?" Junhee asked.

"Like I said, I haven't thought that far into it," Dasom repeated. "I just wanted you guys to know that before school ends, we're going to finish up the journal."

Taemin flipped through the journal. "Now that I think about it, we're going to be third years soon. It kind of makes me feel nervous."

"It makes everyone feel nervous," Eunji said, smiling at him. "I'm surprised to hear that from you, though. You usually do well with your studies, so I'm sure you'll be fine."

"Unlike other certain people," Byunghun murmured, glancing at Jieun.

Jieun scoffed. "I don't think I'm the only one in the group who can't study."

"What? I have clubs. What do you have?"

"I have Hyunwoo."

"That's a poor excuse."

"You always say it's a poor excuse," Jieun complained.

"By the way," Junhee said, interrupting the two's argument, "are you sure you want to stop the journal?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," Dasom answered confidently. "I dragged you guys in this far enough. I think it's a good time to stop. I don't want you guys to struggle with school in our third year just because we have to keep up with writing our diary."

"Are you all fine with it?" Junhee asked the rest.

"I'm fine with it. I think it'll help me since now I just need to focus on basketball and my girlfriend," Byunghun answered.

"Aha! I was right! You weren't thinking of studying!" Jieun exclaimed.

"What about you, Jieun?" Junhee asked.

"I think I'm okay with not writing in it. I write about Hyunwoo in a separate journal, anyway," Jieun said, sticking her tongue out bashfully.

"Third year is all about college exams and getting good marks. I think not writing in the journal will help us all immensely," Taemin said.

"Yeah, it'll probably help me focus with where I want to go, too," Eunji chirped in.

"What about you, Junhee?" Dasom asked her softly. "Are you ready to stop writing?"

Junhee glanced at the journal, then made a soft smile. "Yeah, I think I'm good."

"Alright. I'll make arrangements with the time capsule stuff. You guys just worry about the last journal entry, alright?" Dasom told them. Everyone nodded.

At that moment, Taemin heard his ringtone. He fished out for his phone, noticing that it was Hyeri who was trying to contact him again. He frowned and hung up before the third ring. Unfortunately, Eunji was able to sneak a quick peek at who the caller was. She gave him a disappointed frown.

"Is Hyeri your 'spam caller?'" Eunji asked.

"Don't worry about it," Taemin said quickly.

"You really need to make up your mind, Taemin," Dasom told him seriously. "You're either choosing Hyeri or Soojung. It's one of the two girls. You can't choose both."

"Technically, you can," Byunghun said. Dasom glared at him, but he continued. "It's just that if you chose both, you'd be a cheater."

"Does he look like the type of guy who'd cheat?" Junhee pointed out.

"Well, no, but you know, you don't have to look like a cheater," Byunghun added.

"I'm not going to cheat," Taemin said.

"That's what you're saying now, but later—"

"Byunghun, stop being an idiot and just shut up," Dasom ordered. Byunghun shrugged his shoulders innocently as if he felt like he was saying the truth. Dasom sighed and turned back to Taemin. "I mean, if you really don't like any of them, you can choose none of them."

Taemin looked at her. "None?"

"Yeah. Reject both," Dasom said. She laughed a little. "Although if you're going to reject two lovely girls, then you better have a good reason for that."

"Rejection, huh," Taemin murmured, glancing at the phone. The same caller popped up and he repeated the action.

Eunji gave him an obvious troubled look. "How many times has she been calling you?"

"Not a lot—"

Before he could finish his sentence, Jieun swiped away his phone from his hand. While Taemin tried to get his phone back from her, she tossed it to Byunghun, who checked his history and widened his eyes.

"Holy—I can't believe this!" Byunghun cried out. "She's been trying to contact you nearly every minute!"

"Byunghun, stop—"

"Let me see," Dasom said. Taemin lunged towards Byunghun, but he had already passed the phone to Dasom. She caught it with her two bare hands and made a disgusted expression when she saw the list. "Yikes! This is creepy."

"Can I have my phone back now?" asked Taemin. Dasom nodded and gave it back to him. "Thank you."

"Turn off your phone," Junhee said.

"I wanted to, but I didn't know if I was going to get some kind of important call," Taemin said, rubbing the back of his nape.

"Like me?" Dasom asked, grinning.

"Very funny, Dasom," Taemin said sarcastically.

"Still. If she keeps doing this, then you seriously need to talk to her about it in person," Jieun said.

"Yeah. I mean, you usually can tell someone to stop when it comes to this kind of behavior. What's stopping you?" Eunji inquired.

"Soojung is," Dasom answered. The group looked at her. "Hyeri is Soojung's best friend. If Taemin wants to get back with Soojung, then he needs to find the nicest way to reject Hyeri. If he makes a mistake, then Soojung won't be able to forgive him."

"Sounds tough," Byunghun murmured.

"Well, in the end, it's all up to you, Taemin," Dasom said. She hugged her jacket a little tighter as she looked up at the blank sky. "I can't believe that we're going to be third years soon…"

"Yeah," Jieun murmured in agreement.

Everyone else nodded and looked at the sky. The group kept quiet, absorbing the nice, silent atmosphere with a gentle expression on their face. The nice mood was quickly interrupted when Taemin's phone rang again. Dasom shot him a glare for ruining the mood while the rest gave him a small frown.

"You know, you really need to reject her," Junhee said.

Taemin sighed. "Yeah, you're right…"

"Man, it was such a nice mood, too!" Dasom complained. "Anyway, we should go. It's getting dark."

"It was dark," Junhee said. "It's been dark for the past few hours."

"Let's go home!" Dasom exclaimed, ignoring Junhee's sharp remark. The group started to head back home, thinking about what to write for their last entry.

 

Day 327-Taemin
I've been getting so many calls from Hyeri and I've been ignoring her. I wonder if Soojung knows about this.