Same Number

To Trouble Thee

The morning when Jieun stepped into the school, she felt her heart race. It wasn't only her, though. Several others had their hearts beating at a rapid pace, and everyone knew why.

Today was the fateful day of the Blooming Hearts Event. It would be the day where two people would come together and officially be a fateful couple. Although last year, the event wasn't in Jieun's favor. However, she was sure that this year, it would be her year to shine. No more people laughing at her for her undying crush over Hyunwoo! Now would be her time to go and prove to the whole world that her encounters with Hyunwoo was fate!

"Good morning, Jieun!" Eunji greeted her, running up to her side.

"Eunji! Hi!" Jieun exclaimed enthusiastically.

"I saw you walking with a guy earlier, but you guys later walked in separate ways. Who was he?" Eunji asked.

"It was Hyunwoo, duh! Can't you tell just by looking at his back?" Jieun retorted.

"Blah, blah, blah, blah. Honestly, I came thinking that you guys were talking about the Blooming Hearts Event, but you guys were only talking about Hyunwoo," Dasom said, approaching the two. She popped in between them and locked her arms around their shoulders. "Hey, mind spilling the rumor that I'm going to be at the rooftop during the event?"

"For who to go up there? Isn't, like, everyone trying to go up there?" Jieun pointed out. She glanced at Eunji. "Oh, wait. Never mind. Eunji wouldn't be up there, now would you?"

Eunji bit her lip. "Hey, I have good reasons for that! I'll show my number once I find the guy I truly like!"

The three continued chatting until they arrived at Dasom's class. Not to their surprise, Junhee was already sitting down at her sit, frowning as Chanyeol continued to bug her. Junhee looked up, surprised to see her friends. Chanyeol followed her eyes, then turned slightly red when he saw Jieun among the crowd. The three walked in, greeting Junhee while Dasom gave Chanyeol a flirty look.

"So, will you be at the roof today?" Dasom asked. She leaned close to his desk. "Because if you were just wondering, I'll be there."

"Oh, shut up, Dasom! You don't even like Chanyeol!" Junhee exclaimed. She earned some stares from her friends. "B-Besides, Chanyeol already has someone in mind—"

"Jieun, will you be at the roof top today?" Chanyeol asked, interrupting Junhee. Junhee scowled and looked away while Eunji gave her a sympathetic glance. 

Jieun paused, putting her finger on her lip. She was sure that there would be a lot of people at the roof. Maybe she should just meet Hyunwoo somewhere else? The classroom didn't seem bad, but which classroom would be the perfect one?

"I was planning to go to the roof, but it really depends on Hyunwoo. Now that I'm thinking about it, Hyunwoo doesn't really like crowded places," Jieun mentioned.

Chanyeol's shoulders sunk. "Oh, I see…"

"Where are you going to be at, Junhee?" Eunji asked. 

Junhee looked up, glanced over at Chanyeol, then scoffed as she looked away. "Wherever I want to be, I guess."

"W-Well, I'll be wandering around, too, so if you want to find me, just look around the halls, okay?" Eunji said, trying to give her friend some encouragement. Junhee gave her a small nod and continued to look away. Sighing, Eunji stared at the clock. "I got to go. The bell's going to ring in about five minutes."

"I should go, too!" Jieun exclaimed, pumping her fist. "To Hyunwoo's class it is—"

"Not so fast." Taemin, who appeared out of nowhere, grabbed ahold of Jieun's shoulder. "You're going back to your classroom."

Jieun dropped her jaws. "Wha…No! You can't do this to me!"

"Jieun, you're so close to getting another detention already. You've been tardy and have been skipping your classes. Do you really want your parents to worry?" Taemin pointed out. "Your teacher specifically asked me to take care of you for at least today. You have plenty of assignments to finish, too."

"But Hyunwoo needs me—"

"At the rate you're going with this, you might have to stay back in your own classroom. Do you really want to stay back during the event? You'll be alone in a classroom and doing homework all day, catching up with the lectures."

Jieun bit her bottom lip. "But…"

"Lee Ji Eun!" Taemin snapped, alarming her. Finally giving in, she scowled and followed Taemin out the door.

 

At 6:00 P.M., when everyone was gathering outside near the gym to get their numbers for the event, Jieun was stuck inside her classroom with Taemin, who was helping her finish up her work. She was grateful that he was helping because she knew that she would never finish, but she was slightly annoyed that he wouldn't let her step out of the room. When she gave the excuse that she had to use the restroom, he either wouldn't let her go or followed her to the second story's bathroom so that she wouldn't escape.

A little part of her heart wished that she hadn't skipped her classes and actually worked on her homework. Still, she didn't regret being around Hyunwoo. Even though all she did was sit next to him or stare at him, she still had no regrets.

"Jieun," Taemin called her, snapping his fingers.

Jieun looked up, scowling at him. "What?"

"You did that problem wrong," he said, tapping his pencil against the problem she did wrong. 

Jieun frowned and pulled her hair. "I know, I know! Come on, Taemin! You got to let me off on this one! I still have to finish this!"

"The teacher requested for you to get all your work done, and I'm determined to show your teacher that you can do these problems right. Think about it, Jieun. If you get this all right, then maybe the teacher wouldn't worry about you going to Hyunwoo's classroom all the time. Maybe your teacher would worry about you're attendance, but not your studies," Taemin explained. "Anyway, fix that problem. I know that you know how to fix it."

Jieun gave him a small pout. "Oh, come on, Taemin! I—"

The door opened. The two looked up and saw Byunghun at the door. He was somewhat surprised at first, but when he saw the stack of homework on the other desk, he put up a poker-face.

"For a second, I thought you guys found each other and got high school romance," Byunghun blurted out, closing the door behind him.

"Us? What makes you think that?" Jieun asked. "You should already know how loyal I am to Hyunwoo!"

"Well, you two are in an empty classroom. I thought this room was taken," Byunghun said. "Did you guys get your number yet?"

"Student Council Members don't get numbers," Taemin said. "If we do, we usually make them up." He raised up his number from his pocket. "I wrote the number infinity on mine. There's no way anyone can match up with mine."

"Don't you have a girlfriend? Shouldn't you aim for the roof top love?" Jieun asked.

Taemin rested his cheek on his fist and flicked his finger against Jieun's forehead. "I'm not like you guys who believe in this kind of stuff. I trust my girlfriend."

"But what if you break up?" Jieun questioned him. She let out a small whimper and rubbed her sore forehead.

"I have more faith in my girlfriend than this thing," he said, crumbling up the paper and shoving it back into his pocket. "Now, finish this problem." He turned to Byunghun. "Don't you have something better to do?"

"No," Byunghun said. "In fact, I just saw something that I'd like to forget."

"Does it have to do something with your crush?"

"Yeah. They just got roof top love together," Byunghun mumbled. "Which because they got classroom love last year…"

Jieun's eyes twinkled. "Could that be fate?"

Byunghun sighed. "Maybe… Honestly, I don't know. I don't even know what their numbers were. I just saw her jump up and down and hug her boyfriend while he smiled back. Then i saw them…k-kiss…"

Taemin gave his friend a pat on the back. "Sorry, Byunghun. Looks like this isn't going too well for you."

The basketball boy groaned and hid his face in his arms. "I just wish that I confessed to her before she got a boyfriend…"

Jieun slightly pouted. "Aw, poor Byunghun! It's usually Dasom who's good at cheering people up in this kind of situation. Don't worry, Byunghun! You might not have destined love like mine and Hyunwoo, but I'm sure that you'll get someone soon!"

Byunghun sighed. "I lack the confidence to fall in love—"

The door opened. The three gazed up at the door, and Taemin was surprised to see Soojung walk in. She quickly grabbed Taemin's arm and pulled him up from his chair. Then, she rested her head against his arm, cuddling close while Taemin silently shivered.

"What happened, Soojung?" Taemin asked, gently pushing her away.

She pulled closer, then eventually hid her face in his chest. Awkward and confused, Taemin looked around for some help. When he realized that he was in a helpless situation, he could only side-step to the door, dragging Soojung along with him.

"Um, I'll be outside. Actually, I'll be taking a walk," he said, glancing down at Soojung.

"But Taemin! My homework!" Jieun cried out.

Taemin fished out his phone from his blazer and began scrolling down his contacts. "Don't worry! I got someone to cover for me. Just keep working. I'll be back in a few seconds—" He gasped for hair when Soojung punched his stomach. in pain, he cringed and scowled. "N-Never mind. I'll be gone for, like, half on hour. Keep up the good work!"

When Taemin left, silence fell between Byunghun and Jieun. She glanced over at Byunghun, eying him to help her out with her assignment. When she figured that he was too upset to understand her gaze, she continued to work, pulling back a strand of her hair behind her ear as her hand moved across the pages.

Byunghun continued to remain silent, his back bending over as he continued to hide his face in his folded arms. Minutes of silence passed by, with no words of comfort or help. Finally, Byunghun slightly raised his head so that his eyes were seen.

"Jieun, how long have you loved Hyunwoo?" Byunghun asked her.

"Me? I've been in love with him since forever! This love is impossible to die out!" Jieun exclaimed, grinning to herself.

"I've loved Sunyoung for a really long time, too," he continued. "I had a crush on her since kindergarten. She was the first girl and first person to actually beat me in basketball."

"Well, that seems lovely," she said, caring less about his problem.

"Now that I look back, I feel like I just wasted a bunch of time loving her without doing anything. I never tried to talk to her until recently. I've only helped her out when she didn't need it or when she didn't care about it. I thought if I joined the team, she would think, 'Wow, that guy is cool.' But when I joined, I couldn't realize the fact that there's a lot of people who're cool, and I definitely didn't see that Sunyoung was liking the team captain." He stopped. "Do you think if I was the team captain, she would fall in love with me?"

"Nope," Jieun said confidently. "She would definitely not. Look, if Hyunwoo wasn't the kind of guy he is now, would I hate him? Of course not! I'd still love him, even if he changed."

"Sunyoung's been changing a lot, too. She's becoming stereotypical. She's losing her independence," Byunghun said. 

"See, this is where my love and your love differs. I can take in the pain of being ignored and neglected, while you struggle with it. If you're taking too much pain and if you can't handle that pain, then I say that the love you're striving for isn't worth it. Wouldn't you rather love someone patiently, despite being ignored? Plus, you haven't done anything with your love. When other guys are trying to hook themselves up with your crush, you stay back and you silently wish that they all fail. What right do you have to mope for something that you wouldn't be able to get in the first place? To you, I guess, love is like a basketball game: If you don't practice, then you'll surely fail, am I right?" Jieun lectured him. She closed one of her notebook and reached over to pick another assignment to finish.

Byunghun sighed. "You're not a very good motivational speaker."

"Well, what do you expect me to say?"

"Something supportive, I guess."

"You—"

Jieun stopped and saw the door open. A puzzled girl stood still, frozen with slightly wide eyes as she stared at the two. Then, frantically blushing when she saw Byunguhn, she looked away.

"O-Oh! U-Um, is this room taken?" the younger girl stuttered.

Jieun scowled. "Why does everyone think that this is a taken classroom?"

"It's only us here. I thought the same when you and Taemin were here," Byunghun pointed out. "Anyway, hey Sohyun. Come inside."

Sohyun slowly stepped inside, unsure if it was really okay to come into the classroom. She took a few steps, then stopped when she saw Byunghun more upset than usual. She continued to walk closer, eventually bending down and looking up to see Byunghun resting his head on the desk.

"Are you…okay?" Sohyun asked softly.

Byunghun faked a smile. "I'm good. How about you? Have you gotten your number?"

Her cheeks became red again. "Y-Yes… U-Um, I was wondering if you s-showed your number…"

"Nope. Mine hasn't been seen by anyone. You want to see it?" Byunghun shook his sleeves, and a paper fell from it. He unfolded the paper and handed it to Sohyun. "Here, take it. I really don't need it."

Sohyun was just about to take a look until she studied Byunghun's expression. The boy didn't look okay, and she knew that he needed someone to talk to. Before she even had the chance to look, she folded the paper and handed it back to Byunghun.

"Actually, would you like to g-go and get a d-drink?" she continued to stutter.

Byunghun glanced at Jieun. "Jieun?"

Jieun waved her hand. "Go, go. I'll be fine alone! Besides, Taemin's going to come soon or something."

Byunghun paused, then handed her his number. "Take it. I don't need it anymore."

She frowned. "But does the event work this way? Are you allowed to give your number to someone else? I don't think trading was allowed—"

"I haven't even looked at it. I told you, all I looked at was the girl I like kiss another guy. That's it. After seeing that, I came straight down here and eventually arrived at this room," he said. He got up from the chair and turned to Sohyun. "Come on, Sohyun. This girl has some homework to finish."

Sohyun nodded her head. She glanced behind her, bowed at Jieun, then ran off to follow Byunghun out the door.

Once again, Jieun was alone. The sound of the clock ticking and the pencil scribbling against the paper filled the silent atmosphere. She glanced out the window, and saw several students walking around. Some gave curious glances, while others remained secretive with their paper. Jieun looked down, then unfolded the paper to read her number: 830.

Kind of looks like the time that Hyunwoo's alarm clock rings, she thought, glancing over at the clock. To her surprise, it was already a quarter past eight. She looked at her endless stack of assignment, then groaned when she realized that she had fourty five minutes until the event ended.

"I'm never going to finish this," she mumbled, working alone. She heard the door opened. Expecting that it was Taemin, she sighed and broke into a small smile while her eyes were glued to the problem. "Good timing, Taemin! Look, I still don't understand how to do this problem. Can you he—"

Her jaws dropped when her eyes met Hyunwoo's sharp gaze. He looked down at his phone, scowled at it, then glared at Jieun. Despite the cold look on his face, he walked over to Jieun and sat across from her. He looked at the stack of assignments, then scoffed.

"So you have to finish all of this by tomorrow? My goodness, you should stop skipping your class more often," Hyunwoo scolded her. He looked up, then frowned. "You're drooling. Wipe off that silly face of yours while you're wiping away that drool, too."

Blinking her eyes, she wiped with the back of her hand. "I…Is it really you?"

Hyunwoo groaned. "Of course it's me. Who else would it be?"

Aw right! Good job, Taemin! Jieun thought, mentally cheering in her head. "Don't you have to help around the school or something…?"

"Right now, everyone is just sharing their numbers. No big deal," Hyunwoo said. "Besides, that's what the Student Council Members have to do."

"Right, right. Wait, that means that you got a number, too—"

"Yeah, but I'm not going to share it," he said.

Jieun pouted. "Why not?"

"I've already shared it, and I just got the bad luck one."

"With who?"

"With someone you don't need to know."

"Oh, come on, Hyunwoo! I deserve to know!"

"No, you don't. Now, hurry up and finish your assignment!" He growled. "Gosh, I can't believe Taemin told me to do this. Who does he think he is?"

He's playing cupid for me, that's who he is, Jieun thought. She was slightly disappointed to hear that Hyunwoo had already shared his number. Who was he interested in? Was the girl cute? No, there wasn't a girl cuter than Jieun. Then was she smart? 

Her heart dropped. Of course Hyunwoo would like a smart person. Who wouldn't? If the girl was beautiful, smart, and elegant (in other words, if she was ten times better than Jieun), then of course Hyunwoo would fall in love with such a person. Just who wouldn't…

A piece of paper fell from Hyunwoo's hand. Curious, she bent over to pick up the paper. Unfolding it, she widened her eyes and gasped.

"Hyunwoo, this is…!"

Hyunwoo looked up from the assignment, then widened his eyes. He snatched away the paper, frowning at her in disapproval.

"Why would you look? Now I really got bad luck!" Hyunwoo exclaimed. He looked at the number with shame. "Dang it! I was going to show it to Soojung or someone else…"

"So you haven't shown it yet?" Jieun asked.

"Of course not," he clarified. "Who would I share it with?"

Jieun smiled. "Oh, nothing! Hey, Hyunwoo! Help me out with this problem…"

At exactly 8:30 P.M., in the empty classroom, Jieun had shared her sacred number with Hyunwoo's identical number: 830.