ACS-Chapter 7

A Christmas Story

The two bedroom condo that Chaerin found was in one of the newer buildings in Gangnam. A few minutes away from Dara's new office and close to a prestigious pre-school that Dara found for Jira. As soon as the trio arrived, Jira ran inside in search of her new room. 

Jira was in awe when she saw her room. Dara who was right behind her was proud of her dongsaeng for decorating the room. 

"A little birdy told me you like Hello Kitty. I hope you like it," Chaerin said with a smile.

Jira was so happy, she turned toward her Auntie Chaerin and gave her a big hug. 

"Gomawo-yo Auntie Chaerin. This is the best room ever."

Jira proceeds to explore her new room.

 

Dara and Chaerin walk back to the kitchen to talk.

"So, how are you really, unnie?"

"I'm good."

"Come on, unnie. It's me. You can always talk to me. Are you okay with what Jira said earlier?"

"To be honest, I think I'm still in shock. I still tend to forget how perceptive she is. I didn't know she heard me & Bom unnie talking."

"What are you going to do about oppa?"

"If it was me, I wouldn't want to meet him again. I know that when he finds out that he missed out on the first five years of Jira's life, he's gonna be really mad. At the same time, I owe it at least to the both of them, for them to know each other. I can't hide Jira forever."

"You know oppa took over Kwon Enterprises last year. But truth be told, he was already leading the company a few months after you left. Seungri said he changed since you left."

"I highly doubt that. I was a tiny blip in Kwon Jiyong's radar."

"You're kidding right? You were more than a tiny blip in oppa's life. He loved you. I know you kept it a secret from us, your friends, but looking back, I think we knew that there was something between the two of you. How oppa's eyes always followed you whenever you entered the room. How he always stared at you when you thought he wasn't looking."

"It's in the past Chaerin. He's probably moved on by now."

Chaerin chuckles.

"Is that your way of asking if he's dating anybody right now, or if he's married? Because the answer to both questions is no. According to Seungri, he's been a workaholic since you left."

"Maybe he's just really busy." Dara said unsurely.

"Seriously though, what is your plan unnie?"

"My plan? I'm still unsure. I'll contact him...one of these days. I want me & Jira to get settled first."

"Well, unnie...whenever you're ready, I can help you get in touch with oppa."

"Gomawo Chaerin! You're the best friend ever." The two ladies hug.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Kwon Enterprises Head Office

Jiyong is trying to catch up on paperwork but he still can't concentrate as hard as he wants. Thoughts of the cute little girl and the woman from his past kept creeping up on him. He opens the left hand drawer of his desk, that he keeps locked most of the time, and pulls out a frame. A beautiful girl with a beautiful smile stares back at him. It was a picture taken on their last day at a beach. He didn't think that would be the last time they were on vacation together. If only he had known.

He sighs as he traces her face the way he's done a million times.

Dara, will I ever see you again? I miss you.

A knock sounds at his door and he quickly puts the frame back in its hiding place.

"Come in."

Expecting to see his annoying cousin, he sees his sister, Dami, enter his office instead.

"Hey Ji! Are you busy?"

"A bit. I thought you would be resting after your trip, noona."

"I was going to...but then I thought I needed some essentials for the flat. You know like food and other stuff."

Jiyong frowns at her remark.

"Didn't they stock your fridge? I thought I specifically told them to put your favorite foods in there while they got it ready for you"

Dami impishly smiles. "Busted, I was trying to find an excuse to hang out with my workaholic brother."

Jiyong raises an eyebrow. Then sighs. "You know, you don't need an excuse for that."

"Well, are you busy right now? I can come back later."

Thinking about how he hasn't been able to concentrate on his work since they came from the airport, he rises up from his chair and puts his jacket on. 

"Actually, I could use an escape right now."

"Chincha?" Dami approaches her baby brother and puts her hand on his forehead.

"You're not getting sick, are you? Who are you and what have you done with my workaholic brother?"

Jiyong smiles his gummy smile and takes his noona's hand off him.

"Aisshht...Haha noona... very funny. Come on, let's go before I change my mind."

"Ok, let's go! I want to go to E-Mart."

Jiyong smirks. "E-Mart? I thought you wanted to go shopping."

"I do. It's been awhile since I've seen what E-Mart has in store. And I wasn't really kidding about the food and stuff. Your staff did put my favorite foods in there but there's still some other essentials I need."

"Arasso, we'll go to E-Mart."

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After catching up with Chaerin and unpacking some of their bags, Dara goes back to check up on her daughter. After a few minutes of exploring her new room, Jira fell asleep in her new bed. Dara approaches her daughter and sits down at the head of the bed. She brushes the hair off her daughter's forehead. She's trying to think of how to tell Jiyong about the miracle they made. Jira stirs and opens her eyes to see her mom looking down on her.

"Eomma?"

"Hi baby! Did I wake you?"

"No."

"How are you feeling? I guess you were tired from our trip."

Jira sits up on the bed.

"Yeah."

"How are you feeling? Are you up for a shopping trip? Your aunt Chaerin said, she'll take us to E-mart so we can get food and other stuff we might need. Do you want to go?"

Jira gives her mom one of her gummy smiles and gives her an emphatic yes. Dara smiles back at her daughter.

"Ok. Let's get you ready and we'll go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, our two elves are trying to brainstorm on what to do to accomplish their mission. Minzy is trying to come up with a plan while Daesung paces the room. The phone rings and Minzy answers it.

"Yeoboseyo? Chincha? Arasso."

Minzy hangs up the phone and grabs her jacket. Daesung looks at her with confusion on his face but he grabs his jacket anyways.

"Wait, where are we going? What is it?"

"That was headquarters, they said the family is on the move, let's go."

"The family? Who? What? Where?"

"Come on sunbae, the people at the office said that Kwon Jiyong and his sister are going to E-Mart and that Sandara Park and Jira are going to the same one. This might be a second chance for us to complete this mission."

"Ok, so what's the plan?"

"I don't know yet."

"What? What do you mean you don't know yet?"

"Exactly what I said. I don't know yet."

"How can we go without any plans?"

"Awww...come on sunbae. Where's your sense of adventure? I don't have any plans yet because I don't know the situation yet. And remember what Santa said? 'Let the spirit of Christmas guide you.' So that's what I'm doing?"

Daesung sighs. Minzy grins back at him.

"Come on sunbae, time's a wastin'."