ACS-Chapter 10

A Christmas Story

A/N: Jiyong's thoughts/POV = blue italics, Dara's thoughts/POV = red italics, Jira's thoughts/POV = purple italics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Does Jira know about me?"

"She recently found out your name and that you lived here in Seoul. That is one of the things our daughter inherited from you, her intelligence. She asked about you as soon as we landed here. I was gonna come find you when we're bit more settled but I guess fate has other plans."

"If she hadn't asked, would you have told me?"

Dara looks at her hands that's holding her mug. "I don't know."

Jiyong scoffed and stands up from the table. "You know what? I'm going to see my daughter. It's time for her to know who her father is."

"You can't just spring this on her? She's only five years old. We need to ease her into the idea."

"You kept her from me for 5 years. It's my turn now."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at E-Mart, the two elves Minzy and Daesung are back in their regular clothes. They saw the meeting of Sandara Park, Kwon Jiyong and Park Jira. 

Daesung wipes the imaginary sweat from his brow.

"Whew, I'm glad that's finally over."

"Eh?"

Minzy gives him a confused look.

"We can go back to the North Pole now, right?"

"Uh...no...what are you talking about sunbae?"

"They met. Father and daughter have met. That was Jira's wish."

"Yes, but they don't know what their relationship to each other yet."

"Wasn't that what Sandara and Jiyong left to talk about?"

"Maybe...but Jira still doesn't know Jiyong is her father."

"Well, they're probably gonna tell her after the talk. So our job here is done."

"Don't we owe it to Jira to see this through? What kind of elves would we be Daesung sunbae, if we just leave on the assumption that Dara and Jiyong will tell Jira that Jiyong is her dad?"

Daesung groans and swipes his palm on his face. 

"Fine, what do you suggest we do?"

"Let's wait with Jira until her parents come back."

"Ok. Let's go."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Baskin Robbins

Daesung is behind the counter when the three girls came in. Minzy is hidden in the stock room. Jira is so excited to get ice cream. So she was all smiles when they approached the counter.

"Hello Little Lady! Ladies, welcome to Baskin Robbins. What can I get for you today?" Daesung says with a smile.

Jira looks at her Aunt Chaerin and her new friend Dami Ahjumma. She wanted to know if there's a limit to what she could have. Chaerin noticed the question in Jira's expression. But before she could say anything, Dami spoke first.

Dami stoops down and asks Jira, "What kind of ice cream do you want Jira? Pick whatever you want, my treat."

"Dami-unnie..." Chaerin was about to stop Dami from paying but Dami dismisses it.

"Chaerin...Let me do this, ne?" Dami says with a wink. Chaerin could only shrug.

"Ok unnie." Chaerin stoops to talk to Jira. "Ok, you heard Dami unnie, pick whatever you want Jira."

"Chincha-yo? Yay! Uhm...I would like one scoop of strawberry ice cream and one scoop of chocolate ice cream with chocolate fudge on top please."

"Coming right up little lady. What about you ladies?"

"We'll both have the same."

"Ok. We'll deliver your order shortly."

The trio proceeded to find a table.

After the ice creams arrived, Chaerin noticed Dami staring at Jira with a smile.

Chaerin thought to herself, does she know who's kid Jira is? 

Dami finally speaks up.

"So, Jira, how old are you?"

Jira looks up from her ice cream at Dami.

"I'm five years old."

"Where are you from?"

"We came from Texas, USA but my eomma said I was born here in Korea."

"Did your daddy come with you?"

Jira pouts. "No. I've never seen my daddy. But I heard he is from here."

Dami smiles a knowing smile that didn't escape Chaerin's observation. Chaerin decides to divert the conversation. She's not sure if her Dara unnie has told her Jiyong oppa about Jira. Besides, even if she did, she's not sure if her Dara unnie is ready for other people to know.

"You know I love this combination of strawberry and chocolate ice creams." Chaerin says enthusiastically.

Jira smiles at Chaerin's remark. "Me too. Auntie Chaerin, did you know that my eomma's favorite flavor is strawberry."

"Yes, I know. Your eomma loves ddalgi (strawberry)  and tokki (rabbit)."

Dami looked like she still wanted to ask Jira questions but she noticed the subject change by Chaerin so she decided to just wait for Dara and Jiyong to confirm her suspicions. 

Jira starts talking about her life in the US. Dami notices how Jira has the same smile and smirk that Jiyong has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dara was shocked by what Jiyong just said and what she saw in his eyes. Her worst fears are coming true. She's going to lose her baby. She decides she won't let it happen, not without a fight. She grabs her purse and follows Jiyong out towards the ice cream shop.

Jiyong walked towards Baskin-Robbins where his sister and Chaerin took Jira.

How can Dara hide his daughter away from him? Five years! He missed five years of his daughter's life. He didn't get to see her first smile, her first steps, her first word.

But as he neared the ice cream shop, he thought of what Dara had to go through too.

Was she alone? Or was there somebody who helped her? How many men did she date before this time? Thinking of another man in her life, in his daughter's life made him see red. No other man should be in his daughter's life. His daughter will only call one person daddy. And it will just be him.

As he entered the shop, he hears his daughter's laugh. He sees her telling an animated story to his sister Dami and Chaerin.

Seeing his daughter's happy face makes him smile. He joins the ladies at the table.

Dara was a few minutes behind Jiyong. She was hoping she can catch Jiyong before they meet their daughter. She still believes that they need to ease Jira into the truth. Let her get used to Jiyong before they tell her he's her dad. 

God, I don't think I can live if I lose my daughter. Please don't take her from me. 

Dara sees Jiyong smiling at her daughter's antics. She could see how their smiles look the same.

Dara puts a smile on her face then goes on to join the group. She sees Jira's give Jiyong a bite of her ice cream.

Jira smiles when she sees her mom approach.

"Eomma, eomma! Did you know that Ji ahjusshi's favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate?"

Dara nods and smiles. Then Jira gives Dara a taste of her ice cream too. 

Omo...did we just share an indirect kiss? Babo Dara.

Dara blushed at the thought. Jiyong noticed Dara turning red and smirked.

If she's the same as before, he knew what his Dara was thinking, the indirect kiss. Wait, his Dara? Since when did he think of her as his. She's been his Dara since forever.

Jiyong scowls at the thought.

Meanwhile, while both parents are in deep thought. Jira looks at her mom and her possible dad. She remembers her Aunt Chaerin calling Ji ahjusshi, 'Jiyong oppa' and she thinks her mom called him 'Jiyong' too.

Could it be? Is it really him? Is this her dad, Kwon Jiyong? But why aren't they saying anything. *sigh* How long do I have to wait?