ACS-Chapter 16

A Christmas Story

Annyeong Readers! Sorry for such a long delay with this story. I was trying to make sure the timeline matches with the next chapter. I hate having discrepancies and such. This story is ending soon. Thank you for sticking with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sunbae!" Minzy waves at Daesung. She was back on her perch near the restrooms, watching the interaction between the family and Kiko.

"Minzy-ah..."

"Sunbae, great timing. You got him out of there just in time."

"Ani, that was destiny at work not me."

"Eh?"

"I mean, by the time I got your message, Jiyong was already outside."

"Huh...I guess the Christmas spirit is still helping us grant this wish."

"Anyways, what did I miss?"

"Well, now Jiyong-sshi is talking with Kiko-sshi. She's telling him everything that happened 5 years ago. You should have seen Dara-sshi go on mama bear mode. I was hoping for a cat fight but I guess that wouldn't be a good example for Jira. And Dara-sshi has more class than that. I could see her holding her temper though."

"Really? Cool. What about Jiyong?"

"Oh he came right on time to defend Dara-sshi. The look on Kiko's face was priceless. You know when I was doing research on Kwon Jiyong-sshi, I've heard people mention the dragon's ire. This was the first time I saw a glimpse of it."

"Did he blow his top?"

"Ani...Like Dara-sshi, he kept his cool. But you can see his anger in his eyes though. I thought I saw Kiko tremble." Minzy giggled.

"Wow, I missed all that. So now Jiyong-sshi knows. What's next?"

"I don't know sunbae. I guess we wait and see."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiyong squared his shoulders and unclenched his fists. After hearing what Kiko had to say, he's angry at himself for being so stupid. He thought shielding Dara from his friends and parents back then would protect her from ridicule and schemes.

He loves his parents but he knows that they can be old fashioned and snobbish at times. He remembers a particular memory from long ago. His Dami noona's first boyfriend when she was in highschool, was the son of a convenience store owner. He remembers hearing his parents forbidding her from dating him. He remembers his sister locking herself in her room for 3 days. After that, his sister's relationship with their parents have been strained.

Dara is not poor but she's also not in the same bracket as his family. He was waiting to prove to his parents that he's responsible so they won't make a big deal about his relationship with Dara.

But he can see now that he was wrong. He should have stood up for her sooner.

Jiyong shakes his head at the thought of all the wasted time.

This is your second chance at happiness. Don't blow it Jiyong. 

Jiyong purposely strides towards his family. Looking at Dara and Jira now, he couldn't help but sigh. He almost missed out on the best thing that's ever happened to him. Well, he's gonna make sure this time, he'll do the right thing. He puts a smile on his face as he got nearer to his beloved and his daughter.

Dara looks up at Jiyong with questions in her eyes. Jiyong gave her a gaze that read, they'll talk later. Dara sighs then smiles. Happy that everything seems alright at the moment. Jiyong kneels down in front of Jira then asks her a question.

"So, what do you want to do next gongjunim?"

"Gongjunim? What is gongjunim, Ji appa?"

"Gongjunim is the korean word for princess."

Jira smirks. The same smirk she got from Jiyong. Then giggles. "I'm not a princess Ji appa."

"Yes you are. You are the princess of my heart."

"You're silly. If I'm the princess, then what is eomma?"

"Your eomma?" Jiyong looks at Dara.

"Neh. If I'm the princess, what is eomma?"

Jiyong smiles slyly. "Your eomma is...the queen of my heart of course."

Dara blushes at Jiyong's remark. 

"Really? Then I guess that makes you what? The king of her heart?"

"I was hoping for that."

"Is he right eomma? Is he the king of your heart too?"

Dara was surprised but then she nods shyly. 

"Cool. I'm the princess and eomma is queen and you're the king. It's like a family." Jira says wistfully then a frown mars her face for a moment.

Before Jiyong can ask any further, Jira pulls her mom & dad towards the carousel. A smile is back on her face.

The family spent another hour at the amusement park before calling it a day. 

By the time, Jiyong parked the car at the parking garage, Jira was already asleep. Jiyong gets out of the car to open Dara's door. Before Dara can get off the car and go get Jira. Jiyong has already unbuckled and picked up their daughter from her car seat. Dara could only lead the way to their condo.

As they went inside, Dara walked with Jiyong to Jira's room. She watched as the man she loves gently lay their daughter down on her bed.

Wait...the man she loves? Oh what the heck, I must as well admit to myself the truth. I never really loved anyone else other than Jiyong. I wish I hadn't left him a long time ago. I guess I missed my chance.

Dara can feel the tears b in her eyes as she watched Jiyong brush the hair on Jira's forehead and give it a goodnight's kiss. She brushes the tears away and turns to walk towards the living room. She'll wait for Jiyong there.

Jiyong watches his daughter for a few more minutes then stands to get up. He doesn't see Dara by the door so he walks towards the living room and finds her there. 

"We need to talk."

Oh no...is this the end? I don't really know what he & Kiko talked about. Maybe he realized that he wants to keep Jira but he doesn't want me.

"...uhm...what about?" Dara hoped he didn't hear the tremble in her voice.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"What happened that day? Why didn't you talk to me? Did you really think I'd cheat on you?"

Dara feels a chill from his words. She crosses her arms across her chest as if to give herself a hug.

"I...I...don't know why. Maybe it was pregnancy hormones, or my insecurities all at once coming down on me. I was distraught. I'm sorry, I didn't think it through."

Jiyong moves closer to Dara and pulls her into his arms. Feeling him holding her broke the dam that were keeping her tears at bay.

Dara started to cry while murmuring. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Jiyong just held her closer."I'm sorry too. I should have been more re-assuring. I neglected you. If I paid more attention, I would have noticed how unhappy you were."

"I wasn't really unhappy. I just...I couldn't believe you were with me. I was always afraid you would meet someone prettier, someone equal  to you and you'd realize I wasn't good enough for you."

Jiyong tilts her face up so he can look into her eyes. He wipes the tears that streaked down her cheeks. His love for her evident in his gaze.

"I was having the same feelings about you too. I was afraid one day, one of your fanboys will catch your attention and take you from me."

"Fanboys?"

"Yeah, that's what I call the guys hanging around you all the time."

"They're just friends Ji."

"I've seen the way they look at you. And trust me, they all wanted to be more than your friend."

"You should have known that I only had eyes for you."

"In the back of my mind, I did. I wanted to spend more time with you but the company was eating up my time. And the times, I saw you with them laughing, I thought maybe it was selfish of me to keep you beside me when I'm not able to spend time with you. I was afraid you'd realize that and leave me. In the end, you did."

Jiyong's hands dropped, but Dara held on to him, burying her face in his chest.

"I'm sorry...I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have left."

Jiyong tilts Dara's face again to face him. 

"Dee, I know that yesterday when I asked you to marry me, it didn't come out the way I wanted to. My pride showed up."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean...when I said I wanted to marry you because I cared for you, that wasn't true."

Now it was Dara's hold on Jiyong that begins to falter, but like her actions from before, Jiyong is the one who doesn't let her go.

"I wanted to marry you not because I care about you. I wanted to marry you because I love you. I've always loved you. I don't think I've ever stopped."

Tears started to leak from Dara's eyes.

"Really?"

"Truly." He brushes the tears from her eyes. "Now why are you crying?"

"It's because I feel the same way too. It's always been you. You were the only one for me Ji."

Jiyong smiles. "Now that we've had that cleared up. I'm gonna ask you again."

Jiyong lets Dara go and drops down on one knee in front of her. Dara gasps at his action. With flourish that he has always had, he whipped out a small blue box from his pocket.

"Sandara Park, since the moment I met you, you've had me under your spell. I was going to give this ring to you five years ago but I messed up and I made you leave. I tried to get over you but I've failed to do that. I've been hanging on to this ring since then. Hoping I'll get to see you one more time. Now that you're here, I'm gonna make sure I do it right this time. Dee, I love you then and I love you still. Will you do me the honor of being my wife? I wanna spend forever with you. You and our daughter and maybe a few siblings in the future."

Tears started to stream down Dara's face again which alarms Jiyong. But then she smiles her beautiful smile, and his heart soars.

"Yes! Jiyong, you've had me under your spell too. I've always regretted leaving that time but my pride kept me from running back to you. There's been no one else but you. There's nowhere else I'd rather be than be with you. You me and Jira and whatever future kids we'll have later."

Jiyong smiles and slips the ring on Dara's finger. It fits perfectly which he knew it would be. He stands up, gathers her in his arms and kisses her lips, all in that order. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the two lovebirds, enjoy their moment, two people in a building across the way are watching giddily.

"What's happening now?"

"Sunbae, you have your own binoculars, use it."

"Oh yeah." Daesung says sheepishly. He peers through his binoculars just in time to see the couple kiss again.

"That's so sweet."

"I guess our job is done."

"Awww...I kinda wanna see Jira's reaction."

"Well, we can keep a better eye on it in the North Pole. Christmas is in two days. Santa probably needs all the help he can get."

"I guess, you're right. All right, let's go." 

Daesung grabs Minzy's hand and snaps his fingers. *poof* They're gone.