ACS-Chapter 2

A Christmas Story

Sandara Park. Park Jira's mom.

She just got promoted at the cosmetics company she's working for. The catch is, the job is Head of Marketing department in Seoul.

Seoul, a place she never thought she'd go back to so soon. She hasn't been back there since she left five years ago. The memories were too painful to remember. Her mind drifts to the man who owned...scratch that...the man who still owns her heart. The man who gave her the most precious gift in her life. And he doesn't know anything about her. Suddenly the memories she's been keeping at bay come rushing back.

 

FLASHBACK

6 years ago, Seoul

They were at their favorite spot at the Han River. Watching the sunset with his arms wrapped around her. She could feel his breath at the nape of her neck.

"I wish we could stay like this forever." She whispers.

His arms tightens around her waist.

"We can baby. We will." 

"When Ji? We've been keeping our relationship a secret from your parents for 2 years now. I wanna be able to shout I am Kwon Jiyong's girl. Maybe then, you're fangirls will back off."

He chuckles. "Fangirls? Who? Awww my baby girl is so feisty when she's jealous." He gives her a kiss on her cheek.

She swats at his arms. "Yah! Damn right I'm jealous. What if you realize that those girls are more beautiful and more ier than me? Then where would I be."

He turns her around to face him just in time to see her pout. He gives her one of his gummy smiles that always melts her heart.

"Awww baby girl, you know there's no one else for me. You're the only one here." He points to his heart. "You had me that first day you smiled at me. And you'll have me for the rest of our lives. I just need a little time to get my parents ready before I introduce you to them. This merger has been a headache for me and my dad. As soon as negotiations are done, I'll introduce you to them."

"Hmmph...you're lucky I love you."

"I know. I'm the luckiest man in the world. And I love you too."

And then he kisses her with all the love he had.

END OF FLASHBACK

 

In the end, the negotiations went on forever. He never got to introduced her to his parents. Then that night happened and it changed their lives forever.

 

Shaking her head to stop herself from reminiscing some more, she looks at the clock and realized that if they don't leave right then they're going to be late. Her sister Bom has invited them for a small family dinner. Once they move to Seoul, they won't see each other as often at least until Bom's family moves back to Seoul too. She looks back at the clock and wonders where her daughter is.

"Park Jira, where are you? Come here this instant or we're gonna be late for that dinner at your Aunt Bommie's!"

"I'm coming, eomma!"

She's about to go find her daughter when she sees her run into the kitchen.

"What have you been doing young lady?"

"Nothing..."

"Come on, let's go. I didn't mean to yell at you." She brushes her daughter's hair.

"I know eomma. I know." Jira moves closer to her and hugs her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Somewhere in the North Pole...

Everyone is on their toes trying to get ready for the holidays. Elves are rushing through and fro, carrying toys to different departments, getting them ready for transport. The big man in red is sitting in his office double checking his list.

One of his elves, Daesung, who works in the mail department, rushes in his office with a printout on his hand.

Normally, he's all smiles but at the moment he looks worried and out of breath.

Santa looks up and sees the troubled elf.

"What is it Daesung?"

"Santa...*wheeze* I...*wheeze* have... *wheeze*"

"Stop. Catch your breath first then speak."

Daesung gulps and takes a few deep breaths.

"Are you ok now?"

Daesung nods.

"Well, what is it?"

"Santa! I just got a last minute email! And frankly, I don't know what we'll do. She's asking for something we've never done before. I'm afraid this will be the Christmas where one kid will be disappointed."

"One kid disappointed? That's preposterous! In all my years as Santa, I've never had a kid disappointed. Let me see that."

Daesung walks closer to Santa's desk and hands him the printout.

Santa reads the email and smiles, then he laughs. Daesung is confused.

"Ho ho ho!"

"Santa?"

"What's the problem with this letter Daesung?"

"Uhm...the kid is asking for something we don't do?"

"I meant, what is the problem you see? I don't see any problem with this."

"Santa, we make toys not miracles. She wants us to get her parents get back together."

"I don't see that here. All she wants is to meet her dad. Not get back together. Where did you get that? I think you've been watching too much of those korean dramas you like so much."

Daesung blushes. "Sorry Santa, I got carried away. But you have to admit, how are we gonna make this happen? She's gonna be so sad this Christmas."

"Well, we just have to make sure they meet then."

"How?"

"I think I'll let you figure that out."

"Me?"

"Yes. I think this will be a great field experience for you."

"Santa, I've never been outside of the North Pole. I don't even no where to start."

"Just let the spirit of Christmas guide you. And since it's your first time on the field, I won't send you alone."

Santa catches a glimpse of an elf walking in front of his office.

"Minzy! Minzy!"

The female elf with a matching eye smile like Daesung stops and looks at Santa.

"Yes Santa?"

"I have a special project for you. You are familiar with Seoul, South Korea, right?"

"Yes Santa. That is my area. What is it you need?"

"I need you to be Daesung's guide. I need you both to do a special project for me."

"You want us to go to the main land?"

"Yes."

Daesung is astounded that this tiny smiling elf does not have any qualms about the upcoming trip.

"Wait, you've been there before?" Daesung asks Minzy.

"No." 

"But you're not afraid to go?"

"No."

"Is that all you can say? No?"

"No."

"How can you not be afraid of this venture?"

"Why are you so focused on the negative? I've always wanted to see what the mainland is like."

"Do you think we'll succeed?"

"I think Santa wouldn't have entrusted this to us if he didn't think we can do it."

"I hope we don't mess this up." Daesung says with a sigh.

Minzy beamed at him and said, "Trust me, we got this!"