ACS-Chapter 18

A Christmas Story

Annyeong Readers! I kinda tried a different format for part of this chapter. Since there's going to be  four people almost talking constantly later. Just so that there's no confusion on figuring out who's talking. Hope you'll like it. I think this just became the longest chapter I've written.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing her eomma kiss her Ji Appa, Jira shuts her door gently so that they can't know that she's awake. The bathroom urge completely forgotten, she got back under her covers and stared at the ceiling.

This is the second time I've seen them kiss. What does it mean? I heard Aunt Chaerin call Ji appa 'Jiyong'. Even eomma called him by that name. If I remember correctly Aunt Bommie saying my appas's name is Kwon Jiyong. Is it him? Could he be my real appa? If he is, I'm not sure I want him to be. That's because I don't want my eomma to cry like before.

FLASHBACK

August 18 last year

Eomma was busy making dinner.

Eomma is making kimchi fried rice, my favorite.

Dara on the other hand remembers another person who loves kimchi fried rice.

Oh yeah... it's his birthday today. I wonder what he's doing. Maybe he's celebrating with his family or friends. Or maybe Kiko is making kimchi fried rice for him too. Pain slices through her chest at that thought.

Aisshht...babo Dara. Why are you still thinking about him? It's been four years. He's probably moved on. I should too. Easier said than done.

A lone tear slides down her cheeks and she tries to sniffle quietly. 

I was sitting at the counter coloring a picture, when I hear a sniffle coming from where eomma was standing. 

"Eomma?"

Dara wipes her tears with the back of her hand.

"Hmmm?"

"Are you crying?"

"Aniyo. It was just the onions I was chopping. They're making my eyes water."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm ok."

After dinner, I was going to say goodnight to eomma but I heard her crying softly in her room. I heard her say, "Happy Birthday Ji! I hope you're happy."

Then she continued to sob quietly. I didn't know who Ji was back then, But now that I know it's my appa, I'm not sure if it's a good idea for him to be with us  if he's just gonna make eomma cry.

END OF FLASHBACK

Ji appa, If you're my real appa, I hope you won't make my eomma cry anymore.

Jira closes her eyes and tries to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiyong arrives at his parents home around 10:00 pm. He's not sure of how his parents will react but he knows that it cannot wait. His whole life is just about to start and he's not missing a minute more of it.

JI: "Eomeoni? Abeoji?"

MOM: "We're in the living room."

Jiyong enters his parents' living room and sees his sister having tea with them.

JI: "Good you're all here."

DAD: "Museun iriya Jiyong?" 

JI: "Mom, Dad... I'm getting married."

MOM: "What?" 

DAD: "Mworago?" 

DAMI: "Finally!"

His mom, dad and his Dami noona, all spoke at the same time. Jiyong smiles at his family's outburst.

DAD (turns toward his daughter):  "Dami, you know something about this?" 

DAMI: "Well, I sorta do but I'll let Jiyong explain."

MOM: "Jiyong, what are you talking about?"

JI: "I'm telling you guys my plans. I'm getting married."

MOM: "To who? I didn't know you were seeing someone."

DAD: "Yeah, I didn't hear anything about you dating."

JI: "Well, actually, she was my gir;friend five years ago and lost touch. Well, technically, I did something stupid and it made her leave me and it wasn't until two days ago that I found her."

MOM: "What? You had a girlfriend that I didn't know about? How did that happen?"

JI: "It was my fault. I hid her from you guys. Not because I was ashamed of her but because I didn't want you to chase her away."

MOM: "What? We would never..." Ji gives his mom a look that conveys the message that he knows and her speech falters.

JI: "Actually eomma, at that time, I think you would have. Just like you did with Dong Wook hyung."

Jiyong's mom turns red. She moves closer to his dad who grabs her hand in support.

MOM: "That was a long time ago. (she turns to look at Dami) I'm sorry about that Dami."

Dami feels bad for her mom. She can see the remorse in her eyes.

DAMI: "It's okay eomma. Like you said, it's a long time ago."

MOM (turns to face Jiyong): "I've regretted that decision a long time ago. How can you think we'd do the same to you when we've been bugging you to settle down five years ago."

JI: "I don't know eomma. I thought that's what would happen if you met her so I hid our relationship. I thought I was doing the right thing but that was my mistake. We had a misunderstanding and she left me. I tried to find her but by the time I did, she was gone from this country."

DAD: "So you're saying you just met this girl again after two days and suddenly you're getting married?"

JI: "Yeh appa."

MOM: "Don't you think it's too soon? If you just met her again..."

JI: "Eomma, this is actually a long time coming. If she hadn't left five years ago, we would've been married by now. And even though we've been apart, I never got over her. She's the one for me."

MOM: "I guess...but don't you think you're rushing things?"

JI: "It sounds like it but to be honest, if I could, I'd marry her this instant. I want to make up for the lost time and I want to spend my waking days with her. And there's also another reason. Another reason I want to marry her soon."

DAD: "What reason is that son?"

JI: "When she left me five years ago, She was pregnant with our child. I want us to get married soon so I don't miss anymore milestones from our daughter's life."

MOM: "Mworago? She did what?"

JI: "Eomma, calm down. I was mad too, when I first found out. But after meeting my daughter, I can't help but feel sad and happy too. Sad because I wasn't there for the first few years of her life and at the same time, happy, because when you meet her, you can see that she didn't lack for anything. She's actually a cute, smart, well adjusted child. It was my fault Dara left. I never gave her enough reassurances about our future. For almost three years we were together, I kept putting off introducing her to you guys. I was stupid and selfish. I thought keeping her hidden from you guys, was just my way of protecting her. I never realized it hurt her more when I did that. She thought I was ashamed of her but that wasn't the case. I knew what happened with Dami noona's first boyfriend. I was afraid you'll chase her away too. In the end, I was the one who did that."

DAMI: "He's right eomma. After you meet Jira, you'll love her to bits like I already do."

MOM: "You knew about this, Dami?"

DAMI: " I knew about Dara five years ago. And before you say anything, Ji didn't tell me anything about her. I found out by accident on my own."

DAD: "I think we need to meet this girl before any wedding can occur."

JI: "You will dad, I was thinking of bringing her here tomorrow. But just to let you know, whether you like her or not, we are getting married. I'm just here to inform you of that fact. I would like to have your blessing but even if I didn't, we're getting married anyways."

DAD: " We're not saying no. We just want to meet her and our granddaughter too."

MOM: "You love her that much?"

JI: "Yeh eomma, I do. I don't think I've ever stopped loving her. She's always been the one."

DAD: "You said five years ago, does that mean she has some kind of influence on why they call you a dragon in the office?"

Jiyong turns red at his father's remark. His dad still has his keen sense of observation. Jilyong nods. 

DAD: "Well...now that she's back, I hope to see my son again before he became the dragon everyone at the company keeps taking about."

DAMI: "So when are you going to tell Jira about your plans?"

JI: "Well, I was thinking I want to spend this Christmas with my family so I was planning on going there early in the morning before she wakes up to open her presents and we'll tell her then. I'm hoping she'll like that as a Christmas present."

DAMI: "Awww...like that scene from that movie I saw, Miracle on 34th Street? That's cute. But that's not the only present you're giving her right?"

JI: "Of course not. She's my princess so I have to give her everything she wants."

DAMI: "And how are you going to do that?"

JI: "I was thinkin of asking Dara's help in shopping after I bring her here to meet mom & dad."

DAMI: "Okay, but what about me? I need to be able to shop for my niece too. I can't go see her on Christmas day empty handed,"

JI: "What do you suggest we do?"

DAMI: "Who's gonna watch Jira while you guys do your stuff.

JI: "I think Chaerin is supposed to watch her tomorrow."

DAMI: "Do you think Dara will let me tag along with them?"

JI: "I'm not sure. I can ask."

DAMI: "Ok. Just let me know."

Jiyong notices his mom & dad having a mini conference on the side.

MOM: "Wait, Jiyong, what about us? I know you're bringing Dara tomorrow but what about Jira? Since they're going to be part of the family, we want them to spend Christmas with us here."

JI: "Well, I'm not sure what their plans are for Christmas just yet. We'll have to see how Jira reacts about us Christmas morning. I can promise you'll meet Dara tomorrow but I can't promise we can spend Christmas with you guys. I'm kinda nervous about how my daughter is going to react when she finds out I'm her real father."

DAMI: "You'll be fine Ji. From what I've seen of Jira yesterday, she seems like a smart little girl."

Jiyong smiles goofily as he remembered Dara telling him that their daughter got her smarts from him.

JI: "Yeah, that's what her mom says."

Jiyong's mom looks at her son smiling and she's startled by the change in her son. To her, it seems like her son from five years ago is back. She just realized that she missed that smile. So she decides to wait to pass judgement until she meets the woman who brought the smile back to her son's face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiyong stayed for a while with his parents and then made his way home. As soon as he arrived at his condo, he sends a message to Dara.

*KA-TALK*

BABY BOY: R u sleeping?

BABY GIRL: Ani. Can't sleep.

BABY BOY: Wae? Are you thinking of me?

BABY GIRL: Conceited. Of course not. 

BABY BOY: Admit it. You're obsessed with me Mrs. Kwon

BABY GIRL: In your dreams

BABY BOY: You always are. Are you ready for tomorrow?

BABY GIRL: No. I'm scared. What if they hate me?

BABY BOY: They won't. 

BABY GIRL: What if they do?

BABY BOY: It doesn't matter. If they hate you then they would be missng out on knowing one of the most beautiful persons on earth.

BABY GIRL: Liar. You're such a smooth talker. You should sleep, quit trying to make me think of...

BABY BOY: Think of what Mrs. Kwon. You want me to come over?

BABY GIRL: ! Go to sleep.

BABY BOY: Give me a kiss 

BABY GIRL: I'm shy

BABY BOY: Just one.

BABY GIRL: Ok

BABY GIRL: Where's mine?

BABY BOY:

'

BABY BOY: It's not the same as the real thing.

BABY GIRL: There's still tomorrow

BABY BOY: That's true.

 

BABY BOY: I love you.

BABY GIRL: I love you too

BABY BOY: I can't wait to see you tomorrow, baby girl.

BABY GIRL: Me too, baby boy.

BABY BOY: Oh by the way, Can Dami noona tag along with Chaerin and Jira tomorrow? 

BABY GIRL: I really don't want to impose on her time. She probably has stuff to do.

BABY BOY: It's not an imposition. She actually asked me to ask you..

BABY GIRL: Chincha? Well, it's ok with me if she wants to. I think Jira would like to get to know her Aunt Dami. I'll call Chaerin to let her know. Now go to sleep Mr. Kwon.

BABY BOY: Awww...now I don't want to. I want to talk to you some more, Mrs. Kwon.

BABY GIRL: But you know the sooner you sleep, the night will go by faster. Before you know it, it will be tomorrow and we'll be able to see each other.

 

BABY BOY: Oh yeah!

BABY GIRL: You're such a kid.

BABY BOY: Only for you Dee.Only for you.

BABY GIRL: Tsk...tsk...go to sleep.

BABY BOY: Goodnight Jagiya! Saranghae.

BABY GIRL: Goodnight yeobo! Nado saranghae!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Annyeong readers! Sorry, I couldn't help but add the cheesy moments. I just love daragon moments. And while writing this chapter, I kept thinkingof an interview where GD said, he acts like a little kid when he's with the woman he likes.