ACS-Chapter 3

A Christmas Story

A/N: I had to change something on this chapter. Originally, I was planning on Jiyong to be the only son but then decided against it. 

Somewhere in Seoul

Kwon Jiyong, CEO of Kwon Enterprise. Also known as The Dragon in the Boardroom. Most of the people are used to the happy go lucky lad some years ago. Nobody knows what happened to make him the ruthless, unsmiling businessman that he is now. 

Jiyong is currently in his office looking through the next business proposal on his desk. He hears a knock on the door and before he could even answer, the door swings open. He frowns as he sees his uninvited guest.

Lee Seungri, Jiyong's cousin enters the room smiling. He's Jiyong's cousin from his mother's side. Since they are the only two boys, they've been close like real brothers.

"What do you want Seungri?"

His cousin's growl doesn't faze him. He seats himself on the couch facing his cousin's desk.

"Awwww...don't I even get a hello first cuz?"

"You're lucky I don't call security. What brings you here?"

"Can't I just come and see my favorite cousin?"

"You never just come and see me for nothing. Favorite cousin? Hah... I dare you to let noona hear you say that. What did you do now?"

"Nothing. I didn't do anything. I did hear something on the grapevine though."

Jiyong gives Seungri a stern look but the stupid panda just smiled more. Which irritated Jiyong more.

"What? Are you gonna say it?"

"I'm waiting for you to say please."

"I don't have time to play games, Seungri."

"I guess that's as close as please as I could get."

"Spit it out or get out of my office."

"Fine, fine, you win. I heard somebody's coming back." Pausing for effect, Seungri just stares at Jiyong.

"Seungri...."

"Okay okay I'll tell you. I heard it through the grapevine that Dara noona is coming back."

The harshness of Jiyong's stare disappeared for a moment and Seungri saw a flash of pain come across his cousin's face.

So he's not as unaffected as he wants everyone to think, Seungri thought to himself.

That flicker of emotion was so fleeting though that if he wasn't staring at his cousin's face at that moment he would've missed it. 

"Is that all?"

"Aren't you going to pump me for more information? I thought you would've been more excited."

"Do you have more information? And why would I be excited?"

"No. But...you might be able to fool others, but you can't fool me cuz. I was one of the few that knew of your relationship remember? I even covered for you a few times. I knew how much you loved her."

"Well that's all in the past. Is that all?"

"What happened between the two of you? You were searching for her for awhile and then you just stopped."

 

FLASHBACK

5 years ago

Jiyong's POV

I wake up with the mother of all hangovers after the company's launch party. My memory was a bit fuzzy. I didn't think I drank that much but try as I might to remember I can't. I needs to get rid of this hangover before my baby girl gets here.

He gets up to go the bathroom but gets a fright to see Dara sitting on the couch staring into space.

"Baby? What? What are you doing there? Why didn't you wake me up?"

She looks at me and I will never forget the anguish on her face. I saw some dried streaks on her cheeks where tears must have rolled. She looked like she had been crying but for the life of me I don't know why.

"What's wrong baby girl?"

"Let's break up."

This is a nightmare. Maybe I'm still asleep. I shake my head but I am still here. I'm not dreaming. Did she really just say that?

"What? Babe, what are you saying? This is a joke right?" 

She looks back at me. The hurt expression in her face is makes me feel like a heavy weight is sitting on my heart.

"Do I look like I'm joking?"

"Why?"

"I'm tired Ji."

I move towards her until I'm standing right in front of her. She looks away.

"What did I do? We were fine yesterday. What's wrong?"

"I just realized I'm tired of this."

"This? Care to elaborate?"

"I told you, I'm tired of hiding. I'm tired of not being able to say I'm your girlfriend. You told me after negotitations, you'd tell your parents about us but it's been almost a year since then. Nothing. I can't tell my friends, I haven't met your friends. The only people who know about us is my sister and your cousin. I feel like a kept woman. The other woman. Which is ironic because you're not even married. I want to be able to say to other people, 'This is my boyfriend, the man I love', and not be laughed at or thought to be crazy to think that."

I tilt her head up and made her look at me. I cradled her face in my hands.

"What happened babe? Did somebody do that? Somebody laughed at you or criticized you? You know I was waiting for the right time with my parents. But if that's what you want, then let's go. Come on, I'll introduce you to them right now."

I try to pull her from the chair and make a move towards the door. But she snatches her hand away from mine and my hand felt horribly empty. I hear her chuckle but I know it's not a happy one.

"It's too late Ji. I just...I need space. I need some time to think."

I turn to face her again and caress her cheek.

"Ok, then I'll give you space. But not break up. I don't want to lose you. I love you." 

Tears start streaming down her face again.

"I'm sorry Ji. I can't do this anymore."

She pries my hand off her face and walks towards the door. What the hell? What the heck is going on?

My stupid pride decides to rear it's ugly head at that moment.

"If you walk away now, I won't come after you. If you want me back, you're gonna have to come to me yourself." I said with gritted teeth.

She stops for a moment. I thought for sure, she would turn around and apologize for hurting me. But her next words came and destroyed my heart.

Without looking back at me, she says, "Then I guess this is goodbye. Goodbye Ji."

She walked out the door and never looked back. 

END OF FLASHBACK

I tried to find her but she hid from me starting that day. Her sister disappeared too. The next news I heard was she and her sister left for the US. Nobody could tell me where they went I didn't even know where to begin to look. And then business matters interfered.