ACS-Chapter 1

A Christmas Story

Somewhere in Texas...

 

A little girl, about five years old, is sitting on her mom's desk in front of her mom's computer. Her cute little fingers typing the letters carefully on the keyboard. She stops and looks around to see if her mom was close by. Realizing that she was alone, she continues on her quest.

 

Five year old Park Jira is a precocious child. She learned to walk and talk and read at an early age. She was speaking regular sentences by age 2. Eventhough she's really smart, most of the adults tend to forget about it because it's hard for them to reconcile that fact that she's smart with her image. At first glance, anyone will think she's just a really cute kid. With her soft brown hair that curls naturally, her chocolate brown eyes and long eyelashes, a cute button nose and a really pretty gummy smile they said she got from her dad.

Let's pretend Park Jira looks like this (A/N: this is an image of one of the kids from Hello Baby MBLAQ, I think she's one of the cutest kids ever)

 

Being underestimated has led her to hear a few info about her dad. They say she got her almost genius genes from her father, In all her five years of existence, she's never seen her dad. Everytime any of the other family members mention him or pertain to him, her mom would get a sad look on her face. So she's never asked about him. She did overhear her Aunt Bommie one time, mentioning his name. 

FLASHBACK

A week ago...

JIRA'S POV 

I was playing with my dolls on the breakfast nook. My mom & Aunt Bommie are talking in the kitchen. I think my mom is telling Aunt Bommie about our move.

"You're moving to Seoul? Seoul? Seoul Ssantokki?"

Ssantokki is my Aunt Bommie's nickname for my mom. I think it's because my mom is like a bunny? I'm not really sure.

"Yes, that's what I said. It's a great promotion. I would be stupid to pass it up. Plus, I get a good pay increase so that will be better opportunity for me to save more for Jira's future."

"I understand the perks but I'm asking about you. Emotion-wise. Are you ready? It's been 5 years since you've been there. Are you ready to face him?"

My mom is not saying anything. I glance towards the kitchen and I see the sad face my mom makes when somebody mentions my dad. 

"You do know the him, I'm talking about right? Kwon Jiyong? Jira's a-p-p-a?" My aunt whispered to my mom.

I tried not to chuckle out loud. My Aunt Bommie is so forgetful at times. I know she just spelled "appa"  which is the Korean word for dad. I learned korean words a month ago. So that's my dad's name. Kwon Jiyong.

"Unnie! Little ears!"

"What? I didn't say the word."

My mom sighed. 

"You know he's still there. According to Chaerin, he's the CEO of Kwon Enterprises now. His dad stepped down last year."

"And your point?"

"What are you gonna do if you see him?"

"Unnie, in case you've forgotten, Seoul is a big place. The odds of us seeing each other again are slim. And he told me the last time we talked that he's not gonna be coming after me. If I want him back, then it's on my shoulders to do the first step."

"That was before you know what. When he finds out about you know who, all bets might be off." My aunt Bommie whispered again.

What? I couldn't understand what my Aunt Bommie just said. I hear my mom sigh again.

"If it happens, then I'll cross that bridge when I get there."

They said some more stuff but I got tired of listening.

I did learn more about my dad today. His name is Kwon Jiyong. He's in Seoul. He's a CEO? But I don't know what that means.

My dad is in Seoul. Maybe I'll get to see him?

END OF FLASHBACK


 

Since they're moving to Seoul, South Korea, she thought this might be a chance to meet her dad. But she's gonna need help. She decided to write an email to Santa. She saw something about it on TV.

So she types the web address on the address bar. And proceeds to write her email.

 

Dear Santa, 

Hi! My name is Park Jira. I don't know if you're real or not. My mom says you are. She told me, you're the one who brings my presents that I get on Christmas morning. I want to believe her but my cousin Haru says you're not real. Our parents buys us the presents. I thought I'll try to write to you this year.

I don't know if you know ahead of time or not but we're moving to Seoul, South Korea in a few weeks. You'll know where to find me right? My mom hasn't told me our new address yet. We are moving there because mom got a new job. She told me I was born there but I don't remember it because we moved to Texas when I was a baby. I overheard my aunt say that my dad lives there.

I don't really know how writing letters to you works. But this Christmas, I don't need new toys or gifts. My only wish this Christmas is to see my dad. I don't know what happened between him and my mom but I just want to see him or meet him just once. Can you help me? 

"Park Jira, where are you? Come here this instant or we're gonna be late for that dinner at your Aunt Bommie's!"

"I'm coming, eomma!"

Uh oh..Sorry Santa, gotta go. My mom's calling me. Hope you get this e-mail soon. Bye.

Sincerely,

Park Jira

 

Jira clicks the send button and shuts the computer down. She climbs off the desk and scampers off towards the kitchen where she sees her mom tapping her foot impatiently.