ACS-Chapter 12

A Christmas Story

A/N: Jiyong's thoughts/POV = blue italicsDara's thoughts/POV = red italicsJira's thoughts/POV = purple italics

It was a quiet drive from the ice cream shop to their condo. It wasn't a long drive but by the time Jiyong parked the car in the parking garage, Jira was asleep. Before Dara could even go to the back seat to retrieve her daughter, Jiyong beat her to it again. Jira was already in his arms by the time she got out of the car.

"I can take her from here Jiyong. Don't you need to get back to work?"

"No, I'll take her up. I'm not going back to the office today. My mind wasn't in it today. Just lead the way and I'll follow you."

Dara had no other choice but to walk ahead of them. When they reached their front door, she wanted to take Jira and say goodbye to Jiyong but he wouldn't budge. He was adamant to tucking in Jira to bed.

Dara pulled the covers off her daughter's bed. Then she watched as the father of her child lay their daughter gently on the mattress. He even took her shoes off and pulled the covers on top of her. Tears threatened to leak out of her eyes as she saw Jiyong hesitate on giving Jira a kiss on the forehead. When he straightened up, he was surprised to see her standing behind him. They walk out of the room quietly, careful not to wake the slumbering girl.

Jiyong followed Dara out into the living area. There was an awkward silence between them. Jiyong walks towards the glass window in the living room and looked out at the skyline. He didn't even notice it was nightime. Dara just watched him. She missed looking at him like this. She missed being close to him.

Why didn't I not fight for our love? Why did I let my insecurities win? It's too late now.

Regret weighed heavily on her heart. 

She cleared and walked towards the kitchen. 

"Ahem...do...do you want something to drink? Actually I don't know what I have, Chaerin did shop for staples but I don't really know what she got. We were going to shop for the rest today but as you know that didn't happen. Do you want something, Ji?"

Dara starts to look in the fridge while saying this. Jiyong turns to follow her into the kitchen and sits on the bar stool behind the counter. Dara could feel him watching her but she can't bring her eyes to look at him.

"What happened to us, Dee?"

"Hmmm?"

"Nevermind. I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to be so harsh. I think you were right about waiting to tell Jira that I'm her real appa. But I really don't want to wait that long. I want to be able to see her often."

"Thank you for waiting and you can come see Jira as often as you like. I'm not gonna keep her from you. I'm really sorry I didn't tell you."

"I want to add Jira to the family register so we need to get married."

Dara laughs at the absurdity of his words.

"Ha ha...very funny. You're kidding, right?"

Her laugh falters when she sees the scowl on his face.

"You're serious? Did you even hear yourself? What would your parents say? They're gonna think you're marrying a girl you don't know because she was pregnant with your child." 

Jiyong stands from the stool and walks towards Dara.

"Number one, I don't really care what my parents say. I'm way beyond the age of their responsibility. I'm a grown man and I can make my own decisions. Number two, it's not like we don't know each other. We were together for almost three years, I'd like to think we know each other pretty well."

"That was five years ago Jiyong. I'd like to think we've changed since then. Besides, I promised myself if I do get married, it will be for love. Do you love me?"

"I...I...I care about you."

"'I...I...I  care about you' is not enough for me Ji. When I get married, I want it to be forever. I want the man I marry to love me and want me for me. Not because we have a kid together. And besides, if I do say yes to your proposal, which is not that great by the way, what's gonna happen a year from now, two years from now, 10 years from now. I don't want to tie you down and you meet the girl of your dreams. Then you'll end up resenting me. I would hate that. Try and think about it some more. I don't want you to make promises you can't keep."

I don't want to get hurt like before.

"You think about it too. I'm not the same man I was before. I have think marriage is the best for all of us. And I don't want to miss any more moment of Jira's life. I should probably go. Can I come back and see you guys tomorrow?" 

"I have a few days off before I start my new job. And I told you I won't stop you from seeing her. Are you sure you won't be busy tomorrow?" 

"It's Sunday, and I'm the boss. I will always make time for my family."

Dara heard the emphasis Jiyong put on the term 'my family'. How she wished she was included in his so-called family. But that is just wishful thinking. She is sure that he was only pertaining to Jira.

Jiyong didn't really think about it when he first said it. But after the words left his mouth, hearing the term 'my family' seemed right.

Jira and Dara are my family. My daughter and the mother of my child. 

He smiles at how the image of Dara and Jira fits his idea of his family. Maybe other siblings for Jira later on. 

"Something funny you wanna share?" Dara asks when she sees Jiyong's smile.

"It's my secret for now." Jiyong says with a smirk.

"Fine be that way." Dara pouts. Jiyong longed to kiss off that pout from her lips but he didn't want to frighten her so soon. 

"I guess I should go. You're probably tired from your trip. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Dara was thinking about what Jiyong used to do when she pouted. She was expecting a kiss but she guessed he's forgotten what he used to do before. Disappointed, her heart sunk more after hearing him say goodbye.

"Oh ok. We'll see you tomorrow."

"What time would be good? What time does Jira usually wake up?"

"Your daughter wakes pretty early. But we can probably be ready by nine."

"Ok. Nine o'clock tomorrow morning, I'll see you then."

Jiyong couldn't help himself anymore. He's been staring at Dara's lips for a good long while now. He gave her a quick peck on the lips and grinned. Then quickly walked towards the elevators.

Dara was stunned. She didn't expect him to do that. Dara's fingers automatically touch her lips. She could still feel the pressure of his lips against hers. By the time she snapped out of it, Jiyong was already in the elevator, smiling and waving at her. Her actions did not escape him. Dara leans on the door after she closed it. Her hand clutches her chest. She could feel her heart beating fast. She didn't notice another door closing quietly.

JIRA'S POV

I shut the door as quietly as I possibly can. I doesn't want  eomma to know I was still awake. Running around E-Mart was tiring. But it felt good when Ji appa carried me. Eomma carries me sometimes but it was different when Ji appa did it. He just felt safe & warm. 

It also felt nice when Ji appa gave me a goodnight kiss. So that's what it feels like to get a kiss from your appa.

After a few minutes, I was thirsty. I got up to get something to drink, when I heard my eomma & Ji appa talking. 

I couldn't hear them clearly because they were talking softly but I did hear Ji appa say he was my real appa. I sorta guessed it. But why are they waiting to tell me?

I strained to listen but I couldn't move closer because they might stop talking if they see me. 

After a few minutes, I heard Ji Appa start saying goodbye. I peeked through my open door just in time to see Ji Appa kiss eomma!

Omo omo omo! My appa kissed my eomma!

I fought the urge to squeal.

That's a good thing right? Maybe I'll get to have a complete family this Christmas? I wonder if I could send another email to Santa. But he's probably busy by now.

I walked back to my bed, closed my eyes and sent a quick wish.

God? Santa? Thank you for letting me see my appa. But can I ask for one more thing? Can I have a complete family this Christmas?