Chapter 35

To Kill A Vampire

Sorry this chapter took so long to update guys. This is a pretty long chapter and it has actually been cut in half because of how long it was haha. The next half shall be posted soon. Anywho enjoy!
-

"We're here." Baekhyun stated out of breath. We had reached the portal into the human world. 

A tall willow tree stood in front of us, a small blue light emitting from the bark, like a little star had fallen from the sky. 

"I thought these portals were somewhere in the city." I said.

"There are some in the city, this one is just a little more unknown. My Grandfather showed me this place when I was very little." He said hurriedly. "Now, we can only spend a maximum of three hours in the Human world remember? So we're gonna have to come back here after that amount of time. I remember reading somewhere that if we spend another three hours back in the Vampire world we'll be able to return to the Human world once again." He explained.

I gave him a worried look. I wasn't too keen on his plan. Of course, it was better than Baekhyun getting hurt for what he did, but I had a gut feeling that something bad was bound to happen.

"Chan, everything's gonna be alright. We're going to America. Do you remember when we said we wanted to go there? When I read that book? It's gonna be beautiful there! There'll be old oak trees down the streets and old wooden houses. The moon will be shining and reflect off of the nearby rivers. It's so much better there Chanyeol. Trust me on this!" He said, he sounded so hopeful. I still wasn't sure, but this was our best bet at a chance of staying safe and staying together. I had to take the chance.

"... Okay. Let's go..." I mumbled. Baekhyun smiled and took ahold of my forearm.

He lifted his free hand in front of the little light and tensed his palm as if to try and keep it in place. As he did, the speck of light began to expand wider and wider, the light engulfing the bark as it grew bigger. Soon enough the light had gotten big enough for us to pass through. It was bright and harsh on our eyes, we had to squint to even see what was in front of us.

"C'mon! Before the guards notice the light!" Baekhyun said as he ran into the light without warning and dragging me in with him. 

It was like time stood still for a moment. We kept running and running, my eyes shut tight. I knew that if I opened them I'd go blind from the light. A few more leaps and before I knew it I fell onto my knees and my palms landed in a puddle of water. 

I kept my eyes closed, too afraid to look at my surroundings.

"Chan..." Baekhyun said out of breath. I didn't like his tone of voice. 

"I don't think we're in the right place..." He continued. 

I lifted my hands up and placed them on my thighs. I lean't on the heels of my feet, sitting upright. I opened my eyes.

"But... This..." I stuttered in confusion.

"This... Looks just like the Vampire world..." I ended in disappointment.

We were sat at the end of a dark alleyway. Two tall buildings were placed either side of the road and just ahead of us was an empty street. It didn't look any different to the city areas back home. It looked nothing like the books description of America.

"No... No, no, no! This is all wrong!" Baekhyun moaned, standing up and walking a few steps forward. "This is nothing like the book... The book said that... That in America there was rivers and trees and small parks and kids playing on their bikes and little old houses up and down the street... No, this isn't how it was supposed to be!" He worried.

"Baekhyun, just calm dow-"

"Calm down?! No Chan! I can't just calm down! This isn't fair! This was supposed to be perfect! This was gonna be our chance at a good life! A normal life! There was supposed to be this quiet little village Chanyeol and where the is it?! This isn't what I wanted!" He fumed.

"Well guess what Baek?! Sometimes you don't always get what you want! Sometimes things don't go the way you wanted them to go and unfortunately that's something that you're just gonna have to learn to live with!" I ranted, standing up and following behind him.

He stopped and spun around to face me. He looked so stressed out, like he was about to have a breakdown or something. He brought his hands up to his face and ran his fingers through his hair, gripping it and looking down. He let go and looked up letting out a deep breath. 

"Chan... I just wanted it to be perfect to make you happy..." He said calmly.

"Baby, I don't care what the town looks like... I don't care if the houses look pretty and I don't care if its a Goddamn village or a spaceship... As long as I'm safe with you, I'm happy..." I said. I walked closer to him, cupping his face in my hands and lifting his face up to look into my eyes. 

He slipped his hands around my neck and pulled me closer. His lips were close to mine and I could feel his cold breaths against my lips as he said, "Words can't describe how much I love you." 

I closed my eyes and pulled him in, our dry lips pressed tightly together and our tongues sculpting into one another's. I pulled back and looked into his red, misty eyes. I smiled and held him tighter, I wanted him to know that I wasn't blaming him for how this place turned out to be. He lean't his head on my chest and gripped onto me. I patted his back and spun him around so that his right arm was still placed firmly on my back, yet he could walk down the street with me. This place couldn't be too bad. We only had to stay here for three hours. Surely, nothing bad could happen in that short amount of time.

~~~

We had spent nearly three hours wandering around the streets of this mystery town. We had seen about 5 different people, yet they all looked way too uninviting to talk to. Like there was this one guy who was using a public phone. He was screaming and shouting about something. It was scary to be honest. We was disappointed, we expected happiness everywhere and a place where we would actually be excepted. But that was the least of our worries. We still couldn't figure out where we was. Not that it mattered, we needed an escape and that's what we got. We should be thankful that we aren't dead. Literally.

We had to make our way home soon, so we began pacing back our steps. We didn't say anything to each other for a few minutes, we just took our time making sure that we got back to the portal. 

We didn't really talk about the situation we was in whilst we was here. But it gave me time to think about it all and to take it all in myself. But there was one thing I couldn't quite piece together. 

"Hey... Baek... Didn't you say that Vampires could only be killed with a dagger to the heart?" I asked.

He sighed. It was like he was waiting for me to ask that question.

"... Yeah..." He simply mumbled.

But Baekhyun said that he bit his suitor. He told me that if a Vampire dies without their heart being removed they would then transform into a Jiang Shi. So that meant...

"Baekhyun! You just left her there to suffer?! Do you realise what-"

"Yes I ing realise! I'm a ty person and I know it! I know I shouldn't have just left  her there to turn, but what other choice did I have?!" He said storming off. 

"You couldn't have had the decency to at least stab her?! You know, just so she didn't have a chance to kill the rest of your family?!" 

"You're my only family!" He screamed stopping where he was.

I didn't say anything. He was doing all of this for me. And every time he does something I always end up beating him up about it. But I can't help it, he thinks he's doing something good and yet he's doing it in the most horrid way possible. 

"... I'm sorry..."

"No, I'm sorry." Baekhyun sighed walking up to me and embracing me. "I didn't know how else to get rid of her... Besides... I'm sure someone else would have removed her heart... If that makes it any better..." He said becoming silent towards the end. I let the warmth of his body engulf my senses. I didn't want to think about the trouble we was in any longer. 

"When you become King of the Vampire world... We won't have to worry about any of this... Will we?..." I mumbled.

"Yeah... I promise... When I become King... I'll make sure to eradicate the divide between Dhamphirs and Strigoi... Everything will be perfect... We'll make our own America..." He whispered kissing my head.

I pushed us apart and gave him a smile. I didn't want him to feel too bad, he must be going through despair enough as it is. We made our way back to the portal successfully and took a breath before we ran straight through. Before we knew it we was landing on the damp grass and tumbling over each other. 

"Ugh... Does the tunnel really have to be so bright-"

"Sh." 

Baekhyun lifted his finger to my lips and scanned the area with his gleaming eyes. He was like a wild dog on patrol. I didn't know why he was like this, so I didn't take much notice. That was until I could hear what he was hearing too.

"The little has to be here somewhere." I heard someone say in the distance. A quick slash of light went across my eyes. I could see their torches in the distance. Baekhyun swiftly took ahold of my hand and guided us behind a bush.

"Why does the Queen have us out here looking for him anyway? It's not like he's useful for anything, he's just a nuisance." 

"He's dead meat anyway." 

Hearing the morbid truth from someone else was even more agonising.

"I heard the King has something real bad in store for him. Hopefully he'll hang the little brat, he's caused us enough trouble over the years with his running away and threatens of going out in sunlight."

The two guards came close to us, but thankfully went further away after a while. A few moments later and they were almost out of sight. Baekhyun put a hand on my shoulder and turned me to face him.

"Okay," He started in a shaky whisper. "Here's what we're gonna do... You're gonna go through the field-"

"No no no, we're not splitting up. I'm not leaving you alone in here." I fought back.

"Yes you are because I'm going to be perfectly fine and so will you. We can't stay here because there are bound to be more guards, they'll catch us. Anyway, you're going to go through the field, they won't suspect a thing because you're a Dhamphir, so you can escape easily." He explained.

"But then how will you get out?" 

"... I'll have to go through a few of them... So that I can escape whilst still being hidden in the trees... I'll meet you back at your apartment, okay? I might even be able to catch up with you." He said. He took my cold palm and laid a gentle kiss on it. "Now go before any of them get here." 

"No I don't want to leave, what if something goes wrong?" I worried once more.

"Chan, you have your locket don't you?" He said.

I brought my hand up to my neck. It wasn't there. Where the heck did I leave it?

"Ugh... It doesn't matter... Here, take mine..." He took the chain off of his neck and placed it in my hand. "We're gonna get through this... Okay?" He smiled trying to reassure me.

I nodded, not trusting this plan one bit. Nevertheless, I got up. I didn't stand high enough for the guards to see me, I was crouched a little so that I could walk out of the woods unseen. I got further and further away from Baekhyun until I could no longer recognise the place that I had been in before. I turned forward and could see the park just ahead. A few more steps and I was out. I couldn't start running and draw attention to myself, I had to walk away swiftly. I could see the big gates just ahead. They were closed, my guess was that we had stayed in the park until late. Heck knows what time it was here. I got closer to the exit when suddenly I was interrupted by a loud shout.

"Hey! You! How did you get in here?!" 

Damn, it was two of the guards. I couldn't run away, because that would have made them suspect me. I just had to stand here and make up a lie. That was all. I had to stay calm.

"This park is off of limits! Don't you know that?!" The other guard said as they stood in front of me.

"Uh... I'm sorry Sir, I just came for a stroll... I didn't know that I was interrupting anything... I just got here, I probably missed the notice, haha." I lied trying to act as innocent as possible.

"We shut this park off two hours ago. There is no way you could have just gotten here." One of them said firmly. Damn... There goes my cover...

"Wait... I've seen you before... I visited your house when the Prince went missing not too long ago!"

Oh my God, how did I not recognise him. His face turned to one of anger. He had pieced things together. My heart started pounding. I was in the deepest now. 

A swift silver object came swooping through the air at the speed of light. Before I even had the chance to look around I saw the guards drop to the floor with a knife through both of their necks. 

Within a split second I was being dragged along by Baekhyun, running faster than I ever had before.

"Okay, a few of them found me." He said breathing heavily. I was struggling to keep up.

"You was the one who threw those knives."

"I have quite a shot haven't I?" He said. It was as if he had been filled with adrenaline. Not that I minded, he saved my back there. We got to the gate. It was locked. Everything was such a rush. Baekhyun told me to stand back.

"This is where my powers come to use." 

He put two of his hands on the railings, and to my surprise he was strong enough to not only bend two of the bars, but to actually rip them out of their place. 

"C'mon, we gotta move fast." Baekhyun said hopping through the gate and dragging me through too. We ran through the streets weaving in and out of people. No guards seemed to be about, so it looked as if we was safe. For now.

We finally got to my apartment building and we didn't waste a moment running through the lobby and into the elevator. As soon as we got in I pressed the number on the keypad and slumped myself on the elevator floor along with Baekhyun. The doors slid shut and lifted us above the bottom floor, both me and Baekhyun gasping for breath.  

We didn't say a word.

We finally reached my floor. We both stood up and walked out of the elevator walking in the direction of my apartment. As we got there, we could see the front door smashed to pieces and scattered across the floor. Baekhyun dared to step inside. I nudged his arm, telling him that it wouldn't be safe. He shrugged me off and walked inside. I stood away from the door, afraid of what might happen. I peeked behind the door frame and saw him walk slowly through my house. As he got half way down the passageway, a Guard stepped out from my bedroom. I stepped back subconsciously and as I did I could feel a cold hand wrap around my mouth and my sight become blocked off by a blindfold.