Chapter 30

To Kill A Vampire


We walked arm in arm through the dark city streets. This part of the city was very upper-class and the stench of blood radiating from the restruants nearby was almost sickening. It was hard for me to find any Dhamphirs around. The red eyes of the hundreds of Strigoi's dashing around the streets acted like headlights in a busy road. Luckily, there was so many people that Baekhyun didn't really have to hide himself much. No one really paid attention to us, the fact that we could even get away with our arms being linked was even more suprising. 

"There's this really fancy place just around the corner, that's where I'm taking you. There are gonna be alot of Strigoi's in there and the food they have might be a little too morbid for you to wanna look at. So I suggest you just look away from all of them and try to act like they aren't there. They don't deserve your beautiful eyes on them anyways." He kissed me lightly on my cheek with those final words.

"You're becoming so cheesy Baek. Since when did you become so loving?" I chuckled.

"Hey, I've always been this romantic. You're just too blind to notice it." 

"Oh yeah, sure. Like the time I asked you out to go eat and you said 'No thanks, I'd rather you.' Yeah Baek, You're super romantic." I chuckled rolling my eyes.

"Well, apart from that... You've gotta love me haven't you?" He nudged me.

"I don't have to... I just choose to pity you and go out with you to boost your self-esteem." I joked.

"Hey! Don't be so mean! I'm older than you remember." He said poking his tongue out.

We took a sharp turn down the street and was finally there. You could tell how fancy this place was just by the door. It was painted a glossy black with a gold lined window frame and a chunky, gold door handle. I opened the door and we was faced with a bright chandelier hanging from the ceiling and an usher standing at the reception. Our arms dropped from one anothers as we walked towards the man. He was wearing a black suit with a crisp, red tie. Everything about his outfit was perfectly spruce. 

"Table for two please." Baekhyun said clearing his throat. The usher looked up at us, yet he didn't reply. He stared at us for a pretty long time. What was up with him?

"Um... I said can we have have a table?" Baekhyun repeated, just as confused as I was.

"A-aren't you the..." The usher started. Crap, he realised who Baekhyun was. But just before he could continue Baekhyun took ahold of his hand.

"Hey, buddy. Look deeply into my eyes for a second okay." He orded. The usher stared into his eyes. Baekhyun's were much more brighter than the older man's eyes. I could've sworn that Baekhyun's eyes were getting brighter though. After about a minute the usher yelped in pain and snatched his hand back. It was as if he had gotten an electric shock.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir. Right this way." The usher smiled. It was like he was a different person. Baekhyun looked at me and smirked. What the heck did he do now? 

We followed him through the tables of the restruant which were dimly lit with only a single candle on each table. The eerie look of the place didn't seem to go with the chatter in the room and the upbeat orchestral music that was playing in the distance. 

"What did you do to him?" I whispered to Baekhyun.

"Nothing much. Just a little mind control to sway things in our favour." He said with that sly smirk still plastered on his face.

"Baek..." 

"Uh huh! Nope! You can't complain about me using my powers. It worked, and if I hadn't of done it we would have been caught. There would have been a scandal and then my parents would know and then-"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I guess you're right. But what the heck did you do to his hand?" I said admitting defeat.

"Oh that? That was just for fun." He said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes and continued following the usher to our table. I made a pact with him a few months ago where he promised that he wouldn't use his powers for stupid things. That he would only use them if we were in danger. The reason we made the pact was for two reasons.

One, because his father used his powers to kill Yoon-A. Not that I think Baekhyun would ever make the stupid mistake of just killing someone for the sake of it, like his father did. It's just because I thought that having powers was something cool. A bonus to being a Vampire. But obviously some Vampires just can't control their anger and use their powers for their own amusement.

Two, because Baekhyun still hasn't gotten control of all of his powers. Like a few weeks ago we was walking down the street together and he tried to show off. He tried making a plant pot on someones window ledge levitate. He did make it float, but only for about a minute. It floated until it ended up bursting into flames. Luckily, no one was hurt. But I made him promise that he would only use powers that he had control of and only use them when he needed to.

But obviously he wasn't quite breaking the habit. 

I carried on following the two, in and out through the many tables scattered around the place. The clinking of champagne glasses and the sound of chatter was all you could hear. This place had a very chilled atmosphere. I dared to look over at someone's table. 

There were three people sitting at the round table, all with a plate full of what they called 'food'. From what I could make out in the dim light, one of them was cutting into a forearm. They literally had a whole forearm on their plate, with the hand on and everything. I didn't think twice about quickly diverting my eyes.

"I think I'm gonna puke." I whispered.

"I told you not to look." Baekhyun said.

The man took us all the way to the back, in the corner of the room. It was lucky in a way because then we'd be able to be well hidden and I'd be as far away as possible from those horrible meals.

"Here are your menus gentlemen." He smiled widely handing us two large menus. "I'll be back soon so that we can prepare your dinner for tonight." He finished before strolling off.

Me and Baekhyun sat down, Baekhyun also placing his shoulder bag under the table. Apparently he was only holding the camera inside it, but he was being very secretive about it before we left. I felt like he was hiding something inside it. The table he had placed us on was also round, just like all the others. It was made of a strong, dark oak wood and the chairs were ever so comfy. We also had a candle on our table, but it wasn't lit. The menu felt like it was made of a red leather and had fancy writing engraved onto the front. I opened it up and went straight to the side orders. Also known as the 'Dhamphir menu'. The prices were disgusting. Everything was so expensive. 

"Wow, this is some pricey food." I said. 

"I know right. I mean how am I going to pay for it all?! If only I was the prince." Baekhyun said sarcastically.

"Shut up you. I'm paying for my own-"

"Nope. I'm paying tonight. It's not like I'm gonna go poor afterwards Chan, you sound like a lunatic. Most people would jump at the chance for someone else to buy them a fancy dinner." He laughed.

"Well Byun Baekhyun, I've got some news for you. I'm not like most people. That is why tonight I will be ordering the breaded, fried and softly spiced tofu dish, with a side order of white rice." I said with a hint of sass in my voice as I snapoed the menu shut.

"Gosh, you're so boring. No blood at all?" He asked. I shook my head.

"I can't believe it. How much do you need to drink again?" He asked.

"About 750ml." I shrugged.
 
"Wow, that's pretty precise." He laughed also closing his menu.

"Well, I did my research and tried to find out what the minimum intake was for a Dhamphir. Luckily, I didn't have to drink as much as I was drinking beforehand. I found out I only needed like a glass full while before I was drinking about 3 glasses worth a day."

"Whoa! That much? I barely even see you drink blood now." He said in suprise. 

"Yeah well, I'm happier now than ever before. And the amount of blood I drink has nothing to do with it." 

"Is it because you're with me?" Baekhyun winked.

"Well... Maybe." I smirked.

"Are you ready to order gentlemen?" A different waiter butted in out of nowhere. We both ordered our meals and went on with the night. Relaxed, chilled and simply enjoying each others presence.

~~~

We had finished our meals and were just sitting there talking. Only a few people had started to leave, but the place was still pretty packed. The food was gorgeous, I had never been so satisfied with a meal. Despite the fact that Baekhyun had been tearing into a bloody slab of meat throughtout the night.

"Hmm... Have you ever... Had a ual dream?" Baekhyun asked stabbing his fork into the remaining pieces of food left on his plate.

"Baek! I'm not answering that!" I laughed.

"Were playing truths! You have to answer it!" 

"Ugh... Fine!... I have... Once..." I admitted. Immediately I started blushing.

"Whoa! Chanyeol! Who would've known that you was such a dirty boy! Who was it about? Was it me? What did you do afterwards?" 

"Eh! We promised one question each! It's my turn..." I sulked. He nodded and leaned back in his chair waiting for my question. I didn't really know what else to ask. I had already asked all the boring questions like 'What's your biggest secret?' and 'Who was your first crush?'. He had obviously asked all the dirty questions. 

"Hmm... Oh yeah, I wanted to ask this a while ago. Remember when we broke up and and you sneaked into my house that time? You know, when we ran theough the street and ran into all those Jiang Shi? How did you kill them? They literally just turned into dust!" 

"Seriously? That's your question? Chanyeol, we're freaking Vampires for crying out loud. You should know by now that weird happens here. Just like the way you have a certain way to kill a Vampire, you have a certain way to kill a Jiang Shi. The way you kill them is by facing them with a mirror, you can't just stab them or they'll re-spawn within a few day's anyway." He said. "Great, now it's my turn. Who was your dirty dream about?" He smirked leaning back in his chair.

"For God's sake! Would you let it go?!" I sulked. "It was about you okay! Now I don't wanna hear another word about it or I'll feed you to a Jiang Shi." I scoffed.

"I don't know what else to ask..." I sighed. I placed my elbows upon the table and rested my face in my palms.

"What do you think would happen if people found out about us?" I asked.

Baekhyun's expression changed and fell to one of misery. We hadn't spoke about the subject much. Whenever we spoke about it we usually just drifted off to speaking about something different. We never really got to the details of what might happen.

"Well... One of us... Could die..." He said. 

"... Which one of us?"

"... Me." He simply said.

It seemed like our table had just dropped rapidly into a pit of depression. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know anymore. But we had to proceed. Our while relationship was just fun and games. We've never come to realise the serious damage we could create.

"Why would they kill you?..." I asked, my voice low and shaky.

"Because I'm the Royal, I'm supposed to be the responsible one and follow the rules... In their eyes, I'd be seen as an error... A glitch in their family." He explained.

"Wouldn't your parent's say anything? They think alot of you, you're their only son. Wouldn't they-"

"My parent's would be the ones that would kill me." He bluntly said.

My eyes widened in shock. They would really do that? I mean I had heard stories before, but I thought they were just false rumours or stories. I never thought anyone would have the guts to kill their own child. 

"... Let's change the subject..." I said. The atmosphere had become very uncomfortable and I dreaded to ask him why he was even risking his life with me? 

"Yeah... Well... It's my turn to ask a question... Will you love me 'til the day we both die?" He asked.

"Ofcourse." I said on instinct. I knew I would love him until the day we die. I wanted to love him until the day we died.

"... Good." He said, finally breaking out a smile. "C'mon we've gotta go take that picture haven't we." He added standing up reaching into his pocket to pay for the meal. He left the money on the table and took my hand as we dashed through the tables and out of the restruant.

~~~

"Ready? Go!" Baekhyun shouted as we ran down the steep hill. Baekhyun had taken me to a park just outside of the city. I had never been here before, but according to Baekhyun this was where he used to always go as a kid. Things had definetely changed from the depressing mood in the restruant to our ordinary fun and playful mood again. 

As we ran down the hill, hand in hand, we both ended up rolling down the hill towards the end and landed in each others arms.

"Ah, I haven't done that since I was a child. Even then my mother used to scold me for it. 'Baekie! Don't roll on the floor! You'll get dirty!'" He laughed mimicking his mothers voice.

"She used to call you Baekkie? Well, Atleast I have another cheesy nickname for you." I giggled. He rolled his eyes at me and pulled me closer to place a small kiss on my forehead. I looked up at him. I was laying completely on the floor whilst he was proped up on his elbows.

"Kiss me again." I whispered. He lean't towards me and kissed me gently on my lips again.

"Once more." I whispered.

He obliged and kissed me.

"Again?" I whispered again.

"Stop it! You're gonna tire me out." He chuckled. I pouted and looked back up at the sky. 

"... Will you love me 'til the day I die?" Baekhyun asked. I looked up again to notice him staring at me with loving eyes.

"You asked me that at the restraunt." I laughed.

"Just answer me."

"Ofcourse." 

"... Let's take that picture." He smiled. He grabbed his bag and pulled out a large polaroid camera.

"Where did you get that from?" I asked. They never sold things like those in the Vampire world. I'd only ever seen one in my life and it belonged to my father.

"It was my Mothers. She stole from... Never mind." He said. He didn't have to explain himself. I already knew where she had gotten it. She had bitten someone who owned that camera. Baekhyun told me that most of the items she owned was stolen from her prey in the human world.

I picked up the polaroid and held it infront of us. "Say cheese!" I smiled. The camera flashed and felt like it almost blinded me. A few moments later the polaroid picture slipped out of the camera and developed into our picture.


"Oh... I look terrible." I complained when I saw the picture. 

"Oh shut up, you look gorgeous like always." Baekhyun said. I didn't say anything more about. I'd let him do whatever he wanted to with it. I rolled over and faced him a little.

"What else is in the bag?" I asked. 

"... Nothing." He said. I looked at him seriously. He rolled his eyes in return. "Okay... I wanted to wait a little longer... But what's the harm." He said with a hint of excitement in his voice. "You might wanna get up for this..." 

I stood up and patted down my trousers removing any grass. Heck knows what he was planning.

"Close your eyes." He said still sitting on the floor. I did what he said and shut my eyes. I could hear the sound of the bag rustling around in the grass. 

"Chanyeol? Will you love me 'til the day I die?" He asked. He had asked me again? What the heck was up with him tonight.

"Ofcourse..." I said as I opened my eyes.

There he was knelt down on the ground looking up at me with hopeful eyes, in his hands was a small box which held a dazzling ring.

"Chanyeol, will you marry me?"