Mission Start: the Princesses

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 2 – Mission Start: the Princesses~

            "Could you four have gotten here any slower," stated Kris sarcastically with a bored tone. The team were currently standing in Kris' office with their bags and everything that they needed for the mission.

            "Yes actually we could have," replied Kyungsoo with a shrug.

            "That was a rhetorical question."

            "I know I was giving you a sarcastic answer."

            Kris and Kyungsoo stared blankly at each other.

            "Annoyances," muttered Kris under his breath before taking on a more professional tone, "Anyways, the main point is you're here and ready to go right?"

            "Yes, we gathered the needed supplies and have mapped out the best route possible to the princesses back to Healer's Fields Kingdom," answered Sehun.

            "Good, then let me introduce you to the two princesses that you'll be guiding."

            The door to Kris' office opened and in walked two little girls with Suho behind them. The older looking one seemed to be around ten, with her dark brown hair tied up in a high pony tail and a shy look on her face. The younger one looked to be about five, with light brown hair that went down to her mid back and very distinctive big doe like eyes.

            Kai turned towards their leader with an incredulous look, "I thought we were escorting princesses not babysitting!"

            Kris threw a stapler at Kai who dodged it allowing the metal contraption to head straight towards Suho who lifted his hand up to calmly catch it before it did any major damage to his face. Suho glared at Kris silently saying 'Just you wait you are so dead after this.'

            Kris gulped, avoiding Suho's dark expression while Kai side eyed Kris with an annoyed look.

            The younger of the princesses giggled, "Haha so cool! Can I throw too?" The little princess reached her hands up and made a grabby motion with her fist towards Suho who still had the stapler in hand.

            The older princess pulled her sister's hands down to her sides while scolding the younger, "No, Yoona please behave."

            "Way to go leader, you're corrupting the young," said Luhan as he watched Suho hide the stapler behind his back.

            Kris groaned, knowing he was going to get in more with this later.

            Suho shot Kris another look before crouching down to little princess Yoona's height and said gently "No, it's very bad to do those types of things. A princess doesn't want to be bad right?"

            The little one made a small 'o' with as Suho's words sunk in, "But why did he," Yoona pointed towards Kris with her one free hand, "do it if it was bad?"

            "Because Kris is an idi- doesn't know any better," corrected Suho quickly before the little princess could repeat his words.

            "Oh, okay. I'll behave Sooyoung, please let me go now!" replied Yoona easily with a grin before wiggling her other arm away from her sister's tight grasp.

            Kris cleared his throat to regain the attention on himself, "Anyways, these two are the precious princesses of Healer's Fields Kingdom, Sooyoung and Yoona, they came to our village to deliver us the updated version of healing herbs and remedies book because the King was too busy. Now we will be returning the favor by providing the princesses protection as they make their way back. In order to not raise any suspicion of their travels they will travel as normal civilians. Be sure to take good care of the both of them on this mission, they are to be escorted with the utmost care."

            "We understand," replied all four members of the team in unison.

            "Good you need to get going before it becomes dark, good luck," replied Kris as he waved them off.

            The moment that the six had left his office leaving Suho and himself alone, he slumped back in his seat with a sigh. Although that relaxing pose of his didn't last long because the next thing Kris saw was a stapler flying straight for his head, good thing he moved out of the way just in time causing the object to fly out of the office window to who knows where.

            "That could have killed me!" protested Kris.

            "Tch, just get back to your paperwork before I find something else to throw at you," replied Suho with a click of his tongue in displeasure as he made his way back to his own office.

            "Crazy people everywhere, where's the respect for the leader nowadays," mumbled Kris as he obediently began shuffling his paperwork around.

 

            Meanwhile, down below where Sehun's team and the two princesses were walking out had no idea what was going on in the leader's office as they exited.

            A sharp feeling suddenly pricked at Sehun's instincts and before anyone knew what was going on Sehun grabbed on to both of the princesses and took a large jump backwards along with his team just as a flying metal object hit the ground where the princesses were standing not even three seconds ago, creating a small crater.

            "What the fu-"

            Kyungsoo snapped Kai's mouth shut, giving the younger a dark look, "We are in the presence of children, do not finish that sentence."

            Kai gave a Kyungsoo a thumbs up sign showing he understood as Kyungsoo let his hand fall back to his side.

            Luhan took a step closer to the crater as the dust cleared a bit, it didn’t take him long to figure out what the object was, even five year old Yoona could see it.

            "Stapler! But throwing that is bad," pointed Yoona cutely as she pouted while looking up at Sehun who was still carrying her in his left arm, "Mister! Is whoever threw that going to get in trouble?"

            "Uh, yeah sure," answered Sehun mentally picturing Suho rampaging in Kris' office at the moment as he put the two girls down on their feet.

            "Let's pretend this just didn't happen and get going before anything else gets thrown out of the window," ushered Luhan quickly while kicking some of the upturned dirt on top of the stapler.

            Sooyoung's eyes widened, "You mean there could be more random objects flying out of the sky!?"

            "Mmm yeah, depends on how angry Suho is," answered Luhan before smiling at the worried girl and her little sister who was staring  in wonderment, "No worries though we'll protect you. We're strong."

            "But just as a precaution let's get out of here quickly," ordered Sehun as he began heading towards the village gates with the princesses and his team following suit.

            They were quickly off on their way, Sehun and Luhan in the lead, Sooyoung and Yoona in the middle behind them, and Kai and Kyungsoo at the end behind the princesses. They walked in silence for about an hour through the forest path, the sounds of dirt being shuffled about and leaves crunching were the only noises heard.

            They would have continued on like that for some time longer but the sudden tug on the back of Luhan's shirt causing him to stop for a moment to look back.

            It was Yoona. She looked up at Luhan with big eyes and extended her arms upwards towards the older boy, "Up!"

            "Yoona! No, that's not what they're here to do! Don't make their jobs harder for them!" scolded Sooyoung as she rushed beside her sister ready to pull Yoona back beside her.

            "But I'm tired," whined Yoona looking back at her older sister with teary eyes.

            Luhan laughed as he reached down and picked Yoona up into his arms. The little girl squealed in delight at suddenly being lifted from the ground. "I don't mind carrying a little cutie like you. You're not heavy at all."

            "Yay! Carry!" Yoona smiled brightly at Luhan as she clung to him with her little arms wrapped tightly around his neck in a hug.

            Sehun rolled his eyes at Luhan's sugary sweetness with the five year old.

            "Ah, I'm sorry about my sister," blurted Sooyoung quickly.

            "It's no problem no need to apologize princess," replied Luhan with another warm smile directed towards the ten year old.

            "Sooyoungie! I'm taller than you!" squealed Yoona again, waving at her sister who was looking at her with disapproval.

            "Do you want a piggy back ride too? We have been walking for a while," offered Kai.

            Sooyoung shook her head quickly with an embarrassed look, "No, I'm fine."

            "If you say so-"

            A low rumbling was heard interrupting Kai's sentence. No one said anything but Sooyoung's face suddenly turned a lot redder than before.

            "Sooyoungie is hungry again," said Yoona as she patted Luhan's shoulder and pointed at her sister who now looked like she wanted to bury herself in the ground out of embarrassment.

            "We can get food soon, there's a town just ten minutes away. Do you mind walking just a bit longer?" asked Kyungsoo patting the young girl's head to reassure her that it wasn't a problem.

            Sooyoung shook her head, "No it’s fine!"

            "Great let's head there."

            When they reached the town, the six of them went to the most convenient place that they could find which was a small restaurant in the middle of the town. Since it was the late evening already there were quite a few people wandering about looking for their own places to eat, resulting in the restaurant filling up with a number customers.

            The six of them were able to get a booth like table at the back. Luhan, Yoona, and Sehun sat on one side in that order while Kyungsoo, Sooyoung, and Kai sat on the other side simply because the little one seemed to have gained an attachment to Luhan and insisted on staying beside the other.

            All throughout the meal, Luhan gave careful attention to Yoona making sure that she was able to eat the food by feeding her occasionally, bringing her water cup down from the table for her to drink from it, and wiping or cheeks whenever food got stuck to it. Sehun eyed all those actions with a bit of apprehension, he knew Luhan was the caring type because when they were younger Luhan would always try to look out for him in the same way before Sehun eventually began his own training and toughened up to the point where they were equal enough to look after each other.

            When their short dinner had ended, Sooyoung said that she needed to stop by the restroom quickly to wash her hands since she was the last to finish her food so Kai and Kyungsoo had gone with her to wait outside the door guarding the bathroom while she used it just in case anything were to happen. Sehun, Luhan and Yoona had told them that they were going to wait outside around the corner where there were a few benches since the restaurant was becoming crowded.

            Once outside on the benches, the little five year old didn’t sit still for long as she insisted to play a game with Luhan to pass the time. Yoona even picked up the habit of calling them 'big brother' while they were eating.

            "Let's play a game big brother, I want to play," Yoona pulled at Luhan's sleeve in order to get the older's attention focused on her.

            Luhan smiled at Yoona, "Okay, why don’t we play rock, paper, scissors?"

            Yoona nodded, "Okay, I know how to play that game."

            A few rounds into the game and a few squealing laughs and giggles later, Sehun decided to voice his concerns to Luhan albeit quietly so Yoona wouldn't be able to hear.

            "Don't become too attached," warned Sehun in a neutral tone.

            Luhan visibly stiffened and stopped playing with Yoona for a moment as he looked at Sehun who stood beside him, "I won't."

            Sehun gave Luhan a skeptical look in return.

            Luhan sighed, "I know, but come on you can't seriously tell me you're going to say no to this?" Luhan turned back towards Yoona and picked her up, holding her out towards Sehun so they were face to face.

            The two blinked at each other a moment before the corners of Yoona's mouth stretched upwards in to an adorable eye smile.

            Sehun moved his head to the side of Yoona so that he was looking directly at Luhan and bluntly said "I hate you."

            "I'm aware of that but you can't hate this face," laughed Luhan as he held up Yoona closer to Sehun.

            "Yeah! You can't hate this face!" Yoona squished her cheeks together with the palm of her hands for a moment before bursting into giggles, thinking that it was just another game they were playing.

            Sehun's eye twitched and the sudden urge to smack Luhan flitted through his arm but he restrained since there was Yoona who was only five and it'd be bad for her to be exposed to such violence.

            "Look, isn't she cute Sehun?" cooed Luhan as he held back his laughter since he knew he was pushing Sehun's buttons by the look on the younger's face.

            Se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter