Caught in the Moment

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 4 – Caught in the Moment~

            Two discreetly hidden beings in the darkness of the foliage, kept their eyes on a group of six walking through the pathway into town.

            "When shall we make our move?"

            "Soon, very soon. Is everyone ready and in position?"

            The first obscured figure nodded, "Yes all preparations are finished."

            "Good. It's only a matter of time now…" the second shadowed figured smirked triumphantly, "We'll get what we want in no time."

            The two shadows whispering to one another in the safety of the trees took one last look at the group of six and dispersed to finish up their plans.

 

            Meanwhile back with Sehun's team…

            "I'm hungry," blurted Kai as they walked past multiple restaurants and food stands.

            They've been traveling for three days since that incident with Yoona and the cage, so far they hadn't run into any trouble yet which greatly unnerved  Sehun. It may be his ninja instinct but he felt that this was completely wrong, Kyubok and Chinhwa wouldn't have given up, they're just waiting for the right time to strike and Sehun was keeping on his toes hoping that he could catch the threat before it escalated.

            "Can we get ice cream?" asked Yoona who was situated on top of Kai's shoulders, resting her head on Kai's hair. Since the incident Yoona would cling to anyone in the group and not let go, she was still afraid to run off from them in case anything like before were to happen again.

            "Oooh sounds like a good treat right now, I want ice cream too!" agreed Kai happily as he looked up to exchange grins with Yoona.

            Sehun opened his mouth to tell the two that they should just wait until the next town since they still have a ways to walk but was cut off when Sooyoung grabbed Kai's hand and said "Can I get ice cream too?"

            Kai patted the ten year old's head with his other free hand, "Sure!"

            Sehun stared at Kai, knowing full well the latter could feel the eyes that were burning into the side of his face. Kai didn’t look towards Sehun as he gave a nervous laugh while holding on to Sooyoung's hand and carefully balancing Yoona on his shoulders.

            Kyungsoo seeing Kai starting to sweat under the pressures of both the princesses on one side and Sehun on the other, he figured he'd help the younger out. As discreetly as possible Kyungsoo nudged Luhan so the older glanced at him questioningly.

            Kyungsoo moved his head to the side, gesturing to their now out right glaring squad leader. Luhan grinned and nodded as he understood the message Kyungsoo was giving him. Taking a step closer to Sehun, Luhan reached his arm out and pushed the younger, effectively snapping Sehun out of his glare to turn over to see who pushed him.

            Sehun had his mouth open most likely ready to reprimand the culprit that pushed him but when his eyes caught on to Luhan who was standing there with a mischievous grin, Sehun just closed his mouth swallowing whatever he was going to say and reopened it again to grumble out, "What?"

            "Let them get ice cream. They've been well behaved since day one for the most part, one treat won't hurt and they can eat it while we're on the road," reasoned Luhan sensibly.

            Sehun stared at Luhan for a good few minutes as if trying to make his decision while the older just stared back.

            Kai, Kyungsoo, and the princesses held their breath as they awaited Sehun's answer.

            After a few more moments of suspense, Sehun sighed.

            Everyone began cheering but Sehun's sharp look made them stop at once as they stayed still and stared back at the squad leader.

            "One each and then we go back on the road to the next town. I don't like what I'm sensing from this town, it's making me on edge so be quick," ordered Sehun.

            Everyone nodded and began cheering again as they rushed to the closest ice cream shop that they could find, leaving Sehun and Luhan to trail after them.

            Luhan laughed and nudged Sehun on the shoulder lightly, "Let's get you your favorite strawberry ice cream, we used to share it all the time when we were younger."

            Sehun gave a light scoff, "That was your favorite, I just went along with it."

            "Then continue to go along with it," laughed Luhan as he and Sehun entered the shop where the others were already ordering their own ice cream.

            Yoona got vanilla, Sooyoung got mint, Kai got mango, Kyungsoo got raspberry, Luhan actually got chocolate and Sehun paid for all of it (with quite a bit of grumbling).

            With that finished they were on their way once more through the busy streets of the town filled with bustling people running their own errands, Sehun and Luhan lead the way with Sooyoung walking between them while Kai and Kyungsoo followed behind with Yoona still sitting on Kai's shoulders. All of them were eating the ice cream, that Sehun paid for, happily.

            "You sure you didn't want ice cream Sehun?" asked Luhan as he scooped another spoonful of chocolate ice cream into his mouth.

            "Yes I'm sure," replied Sehun side eyeing Luhan wondering slightly if the older was planning to do anything weird, random (like suddenly volunteering Sehun to pay for the ice cream), crazy or insane.

            Luhan pulled the spoon out of his mouth with a pop, "Okay."

            "Why did you get chocolate anyways? You like strawberry," questioned Sehun more out of nothing to say than real curiosity.

            Luhan ignored Sehun's question and placed another spoonful of ice cream in his mouth.

            "Are you ignoring my question?" asked Sehun with a raised brow.

            "No," answered Luhan simply as he scooped up another spoonful, "I was just waiting for a good time to do this."

            "Do wha-"

            Without any warning Luhan reached over and shoved the spoonful of chocolate ice cream into Sehun's mouth cutting off whatever the younger wanted to say. "Chocolate's your favorite, that's why I got it," replied Luhan pulling the spoon back out from Sehun's mouth to put it back into the half finished cup of ice cream and handing the entire thing to the younger.

            Sehun felt a flutter in his stomach as he swallowed the sweet creamy ice cream melting on his tongue while giving Luhan a pointed look. He can't believe Luhan actually remembered that, they only ate chocolate ice cream together once when they were kids and he never even told Luhan that he liked chocolate better than strawberry. He wanted to say something to reprimand Luhan about doing weird things all of a sudden but the fluttering in his stomach was making it a bit difficult so Sehun swallowed his words along with the rest of the ice cream in the cup.

            "Awww our leader still has childish tastes, you're living up to your young age Sehun. Even letting Luhan feed you, how cute," cooed Kai teasingly as he continued eating his mango ice cream.

            Luhan snorted at Kai's comment finding it amusing.

            Sehun turned around towards Kai with a glare on his features in order to silence the older but something else caught his attention and Sehun smirked, "You know that balancing Yoona on your shoulders like that while she eats ice cream is a horrible idea."

            Kai gave Sehun a confused look, "What? Why? Yoona is fine, she won't fall off."

            "I know you aren't going to let her fall but I'm talking about if you suddenly jostle her and that ice cream cone of hers drops right on your head," pointed out Sehun.

            "She won't drop it. Right Yoona?" laughed off Kai looking upwards at the little one.

            The five year old simply ignored Kai as she remained focused on her vanilla ice cream cone.

            Kai looked back at Sehun, "See? Perfectly fine."

            "She didn’t even answer you," commented Kyungsoo who finished his ice cream a while ago.

            "Shhh," Kai placed a finger to Kyungsoo's lips, "That's just minor details."

            "Kai…" said Kyungsoo warningly as he began reaching for his pouch full of weapons.

            Kai immediately retracted his hand, grinning sheepishly, "Right."

            Sehun rolled his eyes while Luhan and Sooyoung laughed at the sight of Kai taking two immediate steps to the left away from Kyungsoo while holding his hands up in surrender.

            Kai chuckled nervously, "I have Yoona on my shoulders, you don't want to do anything rash right Kyungsoo?"

            Kyungsoo gave Kai a blank look, "Sehun, Luhan, one of you, take Yoona from this fool."

            "No, don't take Yoona, leave the baby where she is," begged Kai as he immediately flipped his head towards Luhan and Sehun shaking it frantically.

            "As tempting as that sounds Kyungsoo, I don't think a blood bath right in the middle of the town's walkway is a good idea," replied Luhan with a shrug and a laugh towards Kyungsoo, "Too many witnesses."

            "Yoona, you want to me to carry you?" asked Sehun immediately disregarding what Luhan said completely and raising his arms up to reach the little one.

            Kai hissed at their leader, "My baby for today!"

            Sehun, Luhan, Kyungsoo, and even Sooyoung gave Kai a questioning look while Kai stared back.

            "…Why are you all giving me that loo-" Kai got cut off when he felt a sudden force push him forward from the back causing him to stumble a bit.

            "What the fuc-"

            Another sudden weight plopped on to Kai's head causing him to stop mid-sentence once again.

            "Oopsie…" said Yoona timidly as she looked at her ice cream that was now melting on top of Kai's hair.

            "…" Kai sighed, "Of course."

            Sehun scoffed, "Told you that was going to happen."

            Kai shot Sehun a glare and was going to say something else but another voice yelled out instead.

            "Yah! Watch it and get out of my way!" It was the big burly man that ran into Kai moments ago and was now glaring at the younger.

            "What! Excuse me sir but you're the one that bumped into me!" gritted out Kai, annoyed that the man had the audacity to yell at him when it was clearly the other's fault.

            "There must be something wrong with you ice cream head because you were clearly in my way, now just get out of here before I get even angrier and beat the out of you," the man lifted his hand and poked Kai in the chest with his oversized finger.

            "I'd like to see you try!" countered Kai as he shook his head to rid himself of the ice cream that was on top, Yoona squeaked a bit at having been shaken. However that shake of the head caused the slightly melted ice cream to fling on to the other man's shoes further infuriating the brute.

            The man attempted to grab the front of Kai's shirt but Kai managed to move out of the way quickly, "You son of a bi-"

            Kyungsoo had enough of this ridiculousness, "Refrain from making anymore of a scene by acting like children, you were the one in the wrong."

            "Oh great another annoying pipsqueak why don't you just-"

            Seeing that this was escalating quickly, Sehun and Luhan were about to also step in a di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter