Nights Like This

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 9 – Nights Like This~

            After the fight with Kyubok and Chinhwa, the specialists finally came to pick up the two to lock them up for good which allowed the entire team make it to the next town without any more problems.

            Although of course being who they are, their problems wouldn't end so easily.

            "Hey, isn't the sky a bit darker than usual today?" questions Kai as he looks up at the grayish clouds that continue to block out the sun through the window.

            The team was currently in their rented room and were packing up to head out to the next town.

            Sehun approached the window and looked outside, "It does… But it's a light gray, the clouds could clear up a little later…"

            Kai shrugs, "If you say so, we only have two more towns to get to before we reach the kingdom."

            "There isn't much of a distance from this town to the next anyways, I'd say about maybe a five hour walk?" adds in Luhan.

            "That's not too bad, even if there is a storm or anything we should be able to reach the next town without too much of a hassle if we set out early enough," said Kyungsoo.

            Sehun hums in reply, "Yeah, maybe we'll just go to the next town and stay there until the morning when the weather isn't so questionable."

           

            As the team takes to the road once again, the clouds above them don't dissipate, the clouds actually seem to get darker the more they keep walking and wariness about the weather begins to seep in.

            "Big brother Luhan it looks like it's going to rain," mentions Yoona as she points up at the sky.

            "Yeah it does look that way…" agrees Luhan as he turns towards Sehun, "Do you think we should go find shelter before we get stuck getting rained on?"

            Sehun looks up, judging their chance of beating the oncoming storm, "The town is still about another two hours away… Yeah, let's play it safe and find shelt-"

            A single raindrop hit the tip of Sehun's nose and he halted in his sentence. Then another droplet hit his forehead and suddenly the rain started coming down in a sprinkle.

            "It's raining!" said Yoona as Kyungsoo picks her up.

            "Let's go find somewhere quickly," instructs Sehun as he picks up Sooyoung and leads the team into the forest where the trees allows them to stay mostly dry.

            It isn't until they reach the denser part of the forest do they actually stumble upon a medium sized cavern which they immediately enter to escape from the rainfall. The six of them stand at the opening looking at the now pouring rain.

            "There's no way that's going to stop anytime soon…" notes Kai.

            "At least we found shelter beforehand," replies Kyungsoo before heading back to check out the rest of the cavern with Yoona and Sooyoung.

            Sehun agrees with Kai's statement mentally and sits down near the cavern's edge so that he could keep watch for any change in the weather. Luhan decides to take seat beside him but it's a little too close for Sehun's liking so he moves over which doesn't really remedy the situation because Luhan scoots closer once again. Sehun shoots him a look saying 'What are you doing?'

            Luhan returns the looks with a tentative smile.

            The smile is the instant tip off for Sehun that Luhan wants something from him, "Alright, what is it you want?"

            Luhan gasps dramatically and raises a hand to his mouth as if shocked by Sehun's words, "What? I can't just sit next to my childhood friend and smile without having some ulterior motive?"

            Sehun's reply was a blunt, "Yes."

            "Okay, you're right," laughs Luhan before he pauses and takes on a more curious look, "I want some information from you about when I was drunk…"

            Sehun raises an eyebrow but internally he's nervous about what sort of question Luhan was planning to ask.

            "Are you sure I didn't do anything at all? I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I may have said something I shouldn't have but I can't remember it, it's really frustrating," sighs Luhan.

            Thinking quickly, Sehun decides to spill one of the older secrets that Luhan told him the other times that the older was accidentally drunk, "Are you sure you really want to know what you told me?"

            Luhan nods, "Yeah of course it's been bugging me"

            Sehun shrugs as nonchalantly as possible, "Okay, you told me that you still have that pink bear I gave you when I was eight, buried in your closet at your house."

            The red that tinged Luhan's cheeks were quickly noticed by Sehun as the older sputtered out a denial, "That was a lie! I don't have pinku pinku in my closet!"

            "You still remember it's name?" asked Sehun in surprise, he would have thought after all this time Luhan would have forgotten that detail but apparently not.

            The blush on Luhan's cheeks darkened considerably, "What!? No! I don't! I was just… guessing!"

             "Pretty accurate guess," scoffs Sehun.

            There's also a snort that sounds out from close to the back of the cavern, Kai is also holding back laughter as he says, "I bet you two remember everything about each other in detail, please."

            "No we don’t!" replies Luhan and Sehun in unison.

            Kyungsoo hears their denial and grins, "Wow you two are even saying the same thing at the same time now."

            Luhan groans and hides his face behind his hands, "Can we get new teammates?"

            "Tell that to Kris," mumbles Sehun as he looks out of the cavern's opening to avoid Kai's and Kyungsoo's smirking faces. The rain still seems like it's not going to let up any time soon, actually it looks like it's pouring down even harder now.

            "I think we'll be stuck here for the night," says Sehun loud enough for the others to hear, he's mostly looking for a change in subject that won't revolve around Luhan and him.

            Kai, Kyungsoo, Yoona, and Sooyoung all turn their attention outside where they see the non-stopping down pour.

            "Looks like it," agrees Kyungsoo, "Should we just build a small fire and set up camp now? It's going to get dark really soon."

            "Yeah, gather whatever dry pieces of wood you can find from around the cavern and we'll build a small fire so we can see when it gets darker," replies Sehun as he and Luhan get up from their spots to help out.

            Yoona and Sooyoung, who were exploring the cavern, hear the news and approach the four ninja. "Are we not going to be able to leave?" asks Yoona.

            "If the rain stops soon enough then we'll be able to leave but if not then we're going to have to stay here for the night, it can be like camping," answers Luhan lightly.

            "We've never been camping before," says Sooyoung with a hint of interest in trying out camping for the first time.

            "But the dark is scary outside," pouts Yoona, not as inclined as her sister to try out the brand new experience.

            Kai hears Yoona's worry and speaks up to reassure the five year old, "There's no need to fear you have us four amazing ninja to protect you! Nothing will harm you as long as we're on the job!"

            Yoona looks at Kai and still frowns unhappily about not being able to get out of camping.

            Kyungsoo attempts to remedy Yoona's quickly down turning mood by saying, "It can be fun to go camping, we can build a fire and tell stories around it to keep us entertained."

            Kai agrees with Kyungsoo quickly, "Yeah! I'll even show you how to start the fire and then Sehun can tell an amazing story for all of us to hear!"

            "What!?" Sehun whips his head around to narrow his eyes at Kai for volunteering him to tell stories.

            Luhan holds back his laughter at the utter annoyance displaying on Sehun's face as Kai avoids looking in Sehun's general direction.

            Yoona seems to contemplate the suggestions for a bit before she ends up agreeing, "Okay if big brother Sehun tells a story."

            Sehun makes a face at Yoona's agreement and decides to attempt to pawn the story telling off to someone else, like his childhood friend who's holding back all his laughter, "I think Luhan would be much better at telling stories than I would, don’t you want to hear his stories instead?"

            Luhan doesn't even hesitate as he quickly responds, "Oh no Sehun, you're definitely better at story telling. We can't wait to hear what you come up with."

            Sehun glares at Luhan but he isn't able to say anything in retaliation because Sooyoung voices out "I want to hear big brother Sehun's stories too."

            "Alright then! It's settled, now let's get this fire started!" cheers Kai a little too happily much to Sehun's displeasure as he begins the set up for the fire.

            Sehun can only sigh in result as he accepts his fate and goes along with it because both Sooyoung and Yoona were giving him puppy eye looks and it was really difficult to come up for any reason or excuse to say no to them.

            It doesn't take too long before a warm flame is blazing and everyone takes a seat around it after they set up their sleeping bags for the night. Everyone is staring at Sehun expectantly and the team leader has to bite down the urge to smack all three members of his team upside the head for making him do this but the princesses were looking at him too so he had to put up with it.

            "So what kind of story are you going to be telling us?" questions Kyungsoo amusingly as he grins at Sehun's obvious reluctant state.

            Sehun's hand twitches to reach for his kunai but Yoona distracts him as she stands up from her spot and climbs into Sehun's lap to sit comfortably before looking up at him, "Can we hear an exciting story? Maybe about unicorns?"

            Sehun only stares at Yoona as she blinks at him, "Um I don't know any stories about unicorns…"

            "Oh, what about a fairy story?"

            "Um no I don't know any of those either…"

            "A story about mermaids?"

            His teammates are having a ball right now as they snicker at Sehun's answers, not even bothering to help him out. Sehun just brings his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter