Crossing Lines

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 21 – Crossing Lines~

            Sehun treks his way back to his house tiredly as he drags one foot after the other. The words from the meeting with the specialists' captain weighing heavily on his mind. He stands at the entrance to his house and hesitates to enter for a moment as his eyes reflexively looks over at Luhan's house.

            He sighs tiredly again and continues on his way inside his house, it's already late and practically everyone is asleep already so he doubts that Luhan would be awake enough to talk about anything. Besides, Sehun isn't even sure himself if he'd be able to discuss things properly with the way things have suddenly been tossed about once again. So he just walks into his house as quietly as possible to avoid waking anyone and goes straight for his room. What he wants most right now is a shower and then to go to bed, which he begins to do so immediately.

            As Sehun cleans himself of the dirt and grime that he acquired throughout the mission he replays the conversation he was called in to have with the specialists' captain.

           

            Sehun followed after the masked ninja as the latter lead him to the secured detainment center where all captures are held and questioned. Walking past all the cells containing the criminals were quite unnerving despite the one way glass on all their rooms but Sehun quickly pushed these uneasy feelings aside and walked on, each room was reinforced with the strongest metal available so there wasn't a single chance of escape for any of these people.

            "The captain is in this room waiting to see you," states the masked ninja as he stands beside a door.

            Sehun gives the masked ninja a short nod and enters the room, it's nothing short of a plain room with a table and two seats in here except there's also a one way glass on the left side of the wall that looks into another interrogation room.

            The captain is standing in front of the one way glass and turns once he hears the door opening and closing. From Sehun's first impression ,the captain is tall and very muscular, scars were also quite apparent along his arms and any visible skin, giving him a very gruff appearance. He also wore a look of intimidation as he greets Sehun, "Oh Sehun, thank you for coming on such short notice. Please have a seat."

            "Yes sir," replies Sehun as he follows orders. While taking a seat, movement from the direction of the one way glass catches his attention and what he sees surprises him thoroughly. It's Shin on the other side of the glass in the interrogation room and Sehun has to blink a few times before he reassures himself that he isn't seeing things.

            The captain faces Sehun from where he stands directing Sehun's attention to him, "This ninja we have captured is the one that had attacked you and your team during your mission to deliver the gems. The specialists corps have already begun their interrogation process and what we have found is quite detrimental."

            Sehun gets a sinking feeling in his stomach as the captain continues on.

            "It seems that he and that rogue are underlings to the Eojun village leader, Minjae. From what we've gathered it seems Minjae plans on collapsing the regions among the villages and wage an all out war and as we destroy ourselves and our alliances he plans to have a complete take over."

            "So Minjae has been sending his underlings to ruin the relations among the villages by sabotaging as many missions as possible that could result in animosity amongst allied lands. By any chance, one of the detainee named Kyubok that was brought in a while back, did he also have some sort of connection to Minjae as well? Like for example plan out the whole kidnapping of the two princesses with Kyubok, by manipulating Kyunbok's desires, in an attempt to have Kyubok rule over one of the most important kingdoms?" questioned Sehun.

            "You're quite perceptive," the captain took a step closer and flipped the file on the desk open for Sehun to see, it was a detailed report of Kyubok's interrogation but that wasn't all there were also quite a few more detainees' files in the stack as well, "These are all the reports of the people who have been captured by our specialists corps that have been in contact with Minjae in some way or another. As you can see there are a lot of people that are at his disposal and following his orders."

            "I see, so he has a lot of resources to manipulate to do his bidding… But there's something that I don't quite understand," replies Sehun as he assesses the situation carefully, "Why have you called me in to tell me this? Surely this should all be classified information."

            The captain's expression stiffened slightly, "My job is simply the briefing, the one who will tell you the rest should be coming."

            "What do you mean?" Sehun was confused, briefing are usually for missions but what mission would they possibly send him on with this given information.

            A knock on the door alerts the two in the room as they turn to see their village leader entering. Kris has a weary smile on his face as he greets the captain and Sehun.

            "What's going on?" asked Sehun straightforwardly, he wants to get to the bottom of this now.

            Kris sighs as he takes a seat on the other side of the table from Sehun, "A mission assignment."

            "…What mission?" This is the first time Sehun has seen so serious with him and it's unnerving.

            "This one," Kris pulls a scroll out and hands it to the younger, "We analyzed every possibility that we could and came only to this solution, believe me when I say that I tried everything I could to divert this but it's just not possible, this is our only option. Oh Sehun, the youngest of the Oh clan who is famed throughout the lands for the specialization in assassinations this will be your first official high class assassination mission. Minjae has shown to be far too dangerous to leave alone without action. Your mission, starting tomorrow, is to infiltrate the Eojun village, find the leader Minjae's plans, and assassinate him before he puts any of them to action."

            Everything to Sehun stopped right then and there, it was like the world around Sehun was put on pause for that moment as he absorbed the information given to him.

            An assassination mission, he knew this was going to come to him eventually but he never thought in his short life that it would be now. And to be assassinating another village leader as his first assassination mission, that was utterly unbelievable but there really was no other choice his father and other family members had their own missions to deal with, his siblings especially his oldest brother had to begin taking over the clan as well. All that was left was him to take this mission, after all his family's blood did run through his veins and he may not be the most experienced but he showed nothing but the utmost greatest capabilities. He could sense the eyes of the captain and village leader on him waiting for his reaction. But what reaction should he have shown? This mission could very well cost him his life but that was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter