Rising Threats

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 17 – Rising Threats~

            "Uggghhhh," Kai groans as he stands near the side of the boat, half of his body leaning on the edge, "When are we going to get there?"

            They managed to get up as soon as the rental store was open and got themselves a boat to get to the Cui village, their mission was very close to completion and they don't want to risk any more close calls.

            Luhan raises an eyebrow at Kai's odd behavior, "What's wrong with Kai?"

            "Kai gets sea sick," says Kyungsoo as he passes by Luhan to give Kai a few pills and some water to help with the other's nausea.

            "Oh," Luhan blinks, how does Kyungsoo even know that? This is the first time they've been on a boat… He watches in amusement as Kai latches on to Kyungsoo after the latter swallows the medicine and Kyungsoo threatening to throw Kai overboard despite the content look on his face. "Cute," notes Luhan with a small upturn of his lips.

            However the miniscule smile doesn't last long as he feels eyes on him from behind, Luhan turns and sees Sehun looking at him. Sehun looks away quickly to avoid eye contact and Luhan just scowls at the other.

            "Are you and Sehun still not on good terms with each other?"

            Luhan turns around at hearing the unexpected question and sees Kai looking at him questioningly. Luhan shrugs and sighs, "I don't know what we are anymore to be honest. Where's Kyungsoo? You were attached to him not even three seconds ago."

            "Kyungsoo went to the little cabin thing underneath the boat to put the medicine and water away," informed Kai.

            Luhan nodded, "You didn’t follow after him?"

            "The little cabin is more nauseating than up here because it rocks with the waves since it's lower, I'd get sick again," replies Kai with a gagging noise, "Anyways Kyungsoo and I are doing just fine~ But what's up with you and Sehun?"

            Luhan blinks and partially considers ignoring Kai's question completely but then again Kai is pretty persistent, "It doesn't matter, it's not like anything is going to happen to change things anyways we have a mission to focus on."

            "You sound bitter," notes Kai, "It must have been a pretty bad fight."

            "It…" Luhan can't find the words to say, the bitterness slightly overpowers his will to talk.

            "I won't meddle," says Kai after a beat of silence, "You and Sehun can handle this yourselves just as you both would have left Kyungsoo and I to do our own thing. We're a pretty well equipped team when it comes to working together and understanding when things need time or space or when meddling is needed but this time I think this is something you can do on your own. Sehun is stubborn as hell and far too protective of everyone but himself, he needs you." 

            Luhan bites the inside of his cheek, "I don't know where we stand anymore, everything is like a tangled mess and trying to find where one of us starts and the other ends is practically impossible."

            Kai scoffs, "Of course it's impossible because you two obviously tied those knots together yourselves in your attempt to stay together, you became tangled in a mess now it's up to the both of you who started it to unravel the mess and begin tying up the real loose ends."

            "That's all easier said than done," Luhan steals another glance towards Sehun who's close to the back making sure that the boat stays on course for the their trip. Sehun isn't looking at him this time but is instead looking at the map and a compass but Luhan knows they're still stealing glances at each other here and there.

            "Then you know what you should do Luhan?" smirks Kai deviously catching Luhan's attention.

            Luhan raises a brow in question prompting Kai to continue on.

            Kai's smirk widens, "Show Sehun what he's really missing, swallow your pride or embarrassment or whatever and show him what he's really losing out on."

            "What do you mean?"

            "Show him the extent of your love for him, kiss him, hug him, cuddle him," Kai waves in Sehun's general direction, "Make him lose his mind."

            Luhan gives Kai the most judging look he could muster, "I think the only one losing their mind is you Kai."

            "No really, think about it. It's obvious he's running away, Sehun's fears are irrational and stunting his decision making. Our ninja upbringing has been rammed into our heads since we were young and Sehun coming from a clan like his I'm not that super surprised that he's acting this way. So the thing to do is to force him to face it upfront, pressure Sehun until he finally just cracks."

            "He wants to deal with all this when the mission ends and there's no danger hovering over all our heads."

            Kai looks at Luhan straightforwardly, "But do you want to wait for after the mission? That could take days, maybe even more than a week."

            "…" Luhan has no verbal response but he knows he doesn't want to wait, he doesn't want to wait to figure out what they're doing with themselves anymore when the answer is obvious.

            "Have fun~" says Kai as he notices Luhan's change in expression.

            "I can't believe I'm taking advice from you," Luhan shakes his head as a laugh bubbles up.

            "Well start believing it because I can give good advice too~ But I don't want to see whatever you're going to be doing to Sehun, so I'll take over navigating the boat and you two go do your thing in the cabin thing or something after you get Kyungsoo out," says Kai with a wrinkle of his nose.

            Luhan hums, "Wouldn't want you looking anyways, but you navigating the boat has me concerned so I'll send Kyungsoo to help you," he leaves Kai to his own devices and goes to get Kyungsoo from the bunker.

            Luhan stands by the walkway of the door and calls downwards, "Kyungsoo! Kai's trying to take over navigating the boat. I think you might want to stop him."

            "What!?" Kyungsoo emerges through the doorway and gives Luhan a look of disbelief, "Why in the world would he do that?"

            "He's sort of helping me out with something…" admits Luhan with a nervous chuckle.

            "…" Kyungsoo stares skeptically, "Alright, what in the world did he tell you? Please tell me it's not an insane idea."

            "No, I think Kai made a good point this time."

            Kyungsoo still looks skeptical but the sudden exclamation of, "Will you go take a break?! I'll take over for you! You've been navigating the boat since we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter