Beginning Roads

Our Lives on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 1 – Beginning Roads~

            "Sooo, why the heck do the two of you look as though you've been stampeded over and then thrown into a puddle of mud," drawled the leader of their village as he stared at the two boys dripping dirty gunk onto his once new like flooring while another pair of clean boys stood beside them eyeing the other two.

            "Kai's fault," answered the completely blank faced blonde ninja without any hesitation.

            "Sehun! What the heck!" screeched the dirtied ninja indignantly as he glared at his comrade.

            "Kai! Sehun's right it was your fault!" gritted out the shorter ninja who was also covered in muck, "Sehun and Luhan were able to avoid being covered in this crud because they weren't dragged into your mess of a plan."

            "Kyungsoo's right," added a honey haired ninja who stood beside Sehun without a speck of dirt on him either.

            "Now, now, don't start having a lover's spat in my office, it's bad enough you two dragged in all that crud all over the floors," replied their leader leaning his chin on the palm of his hand, a sign that he has clearly been through this before.

            Kai's cheeks enflamed at the remark, "Oh my gawd old man! We are not lovers! How many times must I repeat that to you!? Are you getting senile on us!?"

             The leader narrowed his eyes at Kai, "Excuse me? I'll have you know I'm only in my thirties and still able to kick all your baby faced asses in under three seconds, there's a reason I'm leader of the village now. Show some respect to your leader, Kris the almighty, damn it."

            Sehun just sighed as he watched their leader and Kai go back and forth at each other, he was already used to the arguing. It literally happened every time they came to report their mission results to their leader.

            Looking back at the duo, Kris was now pulling at Kai's cheeks demanding respect from the "twenty-one year old brat," as he liked to call Kai, while Kai continued to stubbornly refuse since their leader is, in his words, "obviously too old to get things right anymore."

            Great, Sehun was definitely not getting involved in this and from the looks on Luhan's and Kyungsoo's faces they weren't either, they just need to wait for… Three… Two…One…

            The door to the office slammed open with a loud bam as a shorter male stomped his way in, eyes only on their leader, "Kris! What the in the world are you doing wasting time harassing these kids again when you should be doing paper work and assigning people their missions!"

            'Right on time like usual,' thought Sehun happily.

            Kris instantly dropped his hands from pinching Kai's cheeks, and put them up as if he was surrendering, "Okay, okay! Calm down Suho, I'll get my work done!"

            Suho pulled a stack of papers out that was clasped under his arm and dropped it on to Kris' desk, "You better, now fill all of these out and be sure to give the next mission to them already so they can get going."

            With that said Suho spun on his heel and walked back out the door but not before saying a quick bye to the other four.

            There was silence in the office as the five of them listened carefully to the Suho's retreating footsteps, only was it deemed far enough did Kris finally let out a sigh, "I swear he's going to kill me in my sleep one day if I ever leave a stack of paperwork unfinished."

            "What happened to 'there's a reason I'm leader of the village now show some respect to your leader Kris the almighty'?" mocked Kai.

            "The village is one thing but Suho is another," muttered Kris before pulling out a scroll from his desk, "Anyways, aside from all that let's get down to real business. Since you four were successful on your mission despite the… mess… I will be giving you both a more difficult mission than your last. Don't blotch this one or I'll bury you so deep you won't even know what hit you."

            "Fine, fine, just tell us what it is," replied Kai eyeing the scroll in Kris' hand.

            "Can't we get cleaned up first before you give us another mission?" grimaced Kyungsoo as he hears his boots squish due to the muddy water it soaked up.

            "It'll be quick," reassured Kris before muttering on the side "Besides I don't want you punks dripping all that crap on my flooring for much longer anyways."

            Kris threw the scroll at Sehun who caught it as if he expected it the entire time, "An mission, Sehun will be squad leader as usual. You four have about a month to two princesses back to their village without any casualties, you're the best squad I have on hand right now so like I said before don’t blotch it up. The rest of the details are in the scroll so you can go over it together on your own just make sure it's a secure place when you do. Meet back here in my office in three days after having made the necessary preparations for this mission. Now get out before you stain my floors any further."

            "Alright, understood," answered Sehun as he was the first to leave with his other three team mates following behind him after nodding at their leader.

            As they walked out on to the streets of their village, Kai continued to complain "Ugh I feel disgusting I want to go home as soon as possible and take a nice long shower."

            "Yeah well same here," grumbled Kyungsoo as he wrinkled his nose in disgust at the smell radiating off his clothes.

            "I told you it was a bad idea to cut the rope holding up the bridge," stated Sehun casually.

            Luhan added in, "Yeah, that really wasn’t the best tactic to block the rogues' escape route, especially since we were all still on the bridge."

            "Shut up! It was an error in judgment besides the only reason you didn't get soaked was because Sehun grabbed on to you before we all fell to the dirty water," Kai turned around to give Sehun a look, "You always save Luhan."

            "Luhan just happened to be closest to me," stated Sehun as he raised an eyebrow at Kai as if questioning the latter's sanity.

            Kai rolled his eyes muttering under his breath, "Bull and we all know it."

            Sehun smacked Kai upside the head in retaliation since he heard the sentence loud and clear as Luhan laughed at Kai's gaping expression.

            Kyungsoo also heard it and elbowed Kai in the ribs, "The only bull around  here is the fact that you cut the rope while we were on the damn bridge, you will be buying me new equipment and clothes. I swear I lost about three of my smoke bombs and a pack worth of my shurikens."

            "Those are expensive!" wailed Kai.

            Kyungsoo turned towards Kai and gave him the dirtiest look that he could muster, "Excuse me?"

            Kai immediately hid behind Sehun and Luhan, peeking out between the two at Kyungsoo, "Understood. I'll be sure to replace all those things that I had stupidly caused you to lose for no reason. Don't hurt me. Take Luhan and Sehun as an offering instead."

            Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at Kai before rolling his eyes, "Whatever, anyways I'm going home now. But…"

            Kyungsoo left the sentence hanging as he looked towards Sehun.

            "I'll be at my house," said Sehun walking off first.

            They all knew that meant, 'Thirty minutes to get to Sehun's house to go over mission details.'

            Kai and Kyungsoo nodded as they both dispersed at once leaving nothing behind but empty air and Luhan who immediately began catching up to Sehun's quick pace.

            The two walked quietly for a few steps before Luhan spoke up, "You don't mind me coming to your house with you right?"

            Sehun snorted "When have you ever asked? You barge in regardless."

            "That's a lie, when have I ever-"

            "You walked in on me while I was getting out of the bath when I was six and you were ten. There was another incident when I was eight and changing my clothes but you decided to barge into my room regardless. Then there was the time when-"

            Luhan smacked Sehun on the arm as he blushed in embarrassment, "Okay, okay I get it, I get it! Just shut up!"

            Sehun smirked, "I've proved my point."

            Luhan glared at Sehun but didn't get the chance to retaliate since they were approaching the gates to Sehun's home.

            It was no secret that Sehun came from a very prestigious clan that were very well known in the village and throughout the land, the Oh's were specialized in weaponry and silent assassinations making them a very deadly family to deal with. Every family member down to the very youngest knew the basics of their specialty, they were feared, they were strong, and most of all they were powerful. Sehun's father was the head of the clan which made things all the more intimidating whenever anyone wanted to approach the Oh children. There were five in total with Sehun being the youngest of the five children but Sehun couldn't have cared less, he didn't really have much pressure on him aside from just upholding the family name unlike his oldest brother who was basically watched like a hawk and trained to breaking point to ensure that he would succeed as leader of the clan successfully.

            Luhan's family on the other hand wasn't as well known as Sehun's but it was still able to hold up it’s own name, the Xi's were specialized in speed and swiftness. Everyone in the Xi family had unimaginable speed even from a young age, and the family would hone these skills over the years developing them to it’s max potential. Although training was obviously intense, it was all necessary especially in the world that they lived in. Luhan however was an only child because his mother had conceived him late, actually it was a miracle that she was able to conceive at all due to a failed mission that once almost killed her so needless to say Luhan was doted upon quite a lot.

            So through all this how was it that Luhan became able to approach the unapproachable baby prince of the Oh clan? Simple really they happened to be neighbors and the Xi's and the Oh's leaders' wives happened to be best friends since their academy days way before they ever became the prestigious leaders' wives and their friendship only grew stronger over the years especially when they had their children. So whenever the two would get together Fei Xi would always bring her precious son Luhan with her and the same would go for Yurin Oh who brought her youngest son Sehun the only child closest in age to Luhan despite the four year age difference. And so began Sehun's and Luhan's childhood friendship that lasted all the way to the present.

            Overall, there was no surprise what so ever when Sehun and Luhan both walked in and saw both their mothers sitting in the living room discussing about whatever drama they were watc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter