Thumbs Up

Into the New World: Together

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Since Tiffany has been really craving American cheeseburgers recently, she said she wanted to go to some place I already forgot the name of... I don’t know. It was something really American sounding. I don't think I've ever been there before but everyone else said it was ‘the best’.

I didn't really care anyway, I mean whatever Fany-ah wanted is what we were getting no matter what… but when I saw what was at the next exit off the highway my mind might have changed juust a bit.

“Omo, let’s go to Disneyland.” Tiffany laughed.

“Disney?” I hummed. She grinned. “No way Tae, you're crazy.”

What?! Why~? I was genuinely confused. One of our goals as a couple is to visit every single Disneyland there is… of course we haven't even been to a single one yet but still!!

“Why not,” I had to ask. “It’s Disney!” She hummed and squeezed my hand in hers slightly.

“And what do you expect me to do there, hmm? Watch you ride rides?”

Uhhm no?

Why would she even think that? I think she was the crazy one!

Silly Fany-ah...

“Ani, I want you to ride them with- me... oh,” I said as it finally hit me. Wow that took me way too long… the jet lag must be really starting to sink in.

Obviously since Tiffany was pregnant she could definitely NOT ride rides with me. What was I thinking? Talk about not being safe… Tiffany hummed.

“That’s what I thought pabo,” she teased. Ugh she didn’t have to be so mean about it though! I was just trying to throw out a fun idea.

“We could still walk around and look at everything and eat,” I said excitedly. Just because she couldn't ride things doesn't mean we couldn't go. I’m sure there was tons to look at too! “It’s still Disney!” Her hand squeezed mine again signaling me to shut up.

“Let’s go next time,” she smiled. “With Dukong… he’ll love it.” My heart almost skipped a beat from the cuteness in her voice and my brain kicked it into hyperdrive just trying to picture it.

That was an AMAZING idea! Our kid would totally love it! Oh my- we could dress him up and get him the little Mickey ears… kyaa~!

I had to make sure she was serious.

“Ji-jinjja?” She hummed. “Promise?” She held her pinky out and I quickly wrapped mine around it. I kissed her hand to seal our promise but then another thought hit me. “What if he’s too young to ride anything?”

I was trying to quickly rack my brain about when the next time we would be back in LA and I was coming up blank. I had no idea when but it would definitely be within the year. Tiffany, and I for that matter, wants to come back sometime after Dukong is born to introduce him to his Hwang family side.

“Then we can just walk around Tae,” she laughed. “If we went today we wouldn’t get to do like anything since you have to leave in a few hours. We should go when we have more time boo.” I nodded.

I guess that was true. From what I've heard, the lines are ridiculously long there. We probably wouldn't even get to park by the time I had to leave!

Ugh, I internally sighed.

Next time.

Within another fifteen minutes or so we finally pulled into a parking lot surrounded by palm trees and they all started getting out. I told Fany to wait a second so I could run around and help her out, but Michelle beat me too it. By the time I made it around Kristine’s SUV, Tiffany was already out of the car and-

“Oh my god~,” Michelle said again. This time though it sounded different. It wasn’t so much ‘surprise’ as it was in ‘awe’. “You’re like actually glowing Steph,” she said. “Can I?”

I was confused to as what she was asking permission for, but when Michelle put her hand on Tiffany’s stomach it was obvious.

“Ooh me too, me too,” Kristine said as she came over to where we were. “Wah~ this is so crazy Stephie~,” she added happily. “I never thought you’d be the first one of us having a baby.” I laughed.

Neither did we.

“Let’s go in and you can tell us everything,” Michelle said excitedly. I had to laugh again.

They wouldn't let Tiffany talk about our baby in the car because they wanted to be face to face to hear all our news. It made sense I guess, but it was still funny to me for some reason. Instead they spent almost the whole car ride catching Tiffany up on what’s happening with them and their family here, but as soon as we got inside the questions began.

While they did seem a little extra excited than I remember them being last time, it was totally understandable… and pretty cute.

Not the attractive cute of course but more like the little kid in a candy store cute. I happily sighed. It was just really nice to be with people that were just as excited as we were about this.

Our members were excited no doubt, but I could tell they were also sort of unsure about how everything was going to play out, which I totally understood! I hated to think about this but if Tiffany and I having a baby somehow ruined their careers I honestly wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

Ruining mine is whatever, but hurting them because of all this would be the worst possible outcome.

It was awkward around our managers and other staff members from SM too for the same reason. They were happy and congratulated us, but I could tell they were also worried for us at the same time.

I told myself that I wouldn’t let it ruin our careers though and that’s what I had to do… somehow.

Whatever. This was definitely a refreshing feeling.

A few minutes later, as Tiffany was showing them the pictures of her latest  ultrasound, a waiter stopped by and asked us what we wanted to drink.

Ugh, great. The real English begins!

“A water would be great,” Tiffany said, being extra fancy in my book. “Thanks... Tae do you want anything,” Tiffany quickly asked me in Korean.

Oh god… What do I… should I just answer in Korean then?

Screw it! When in Rome… er LA.

“Hmm, saem?” I looked at the waiter in hopes he understood and-

“Okay, two waters and you miss?”

ASSA~!

I internally cheered and Tiffany grinned. I felt her hand give my thigh a quick squeeze under the table. It was my turn to grin now. I could totally do this today.

“That reminds me,” Michelle said once the waiter left. “What language are you going to teach him? Or are you going to try to do both?”

Right, maybe I couldn't do this today. I looked at Tiffany and she had already opened to speak.

“Both, kinda,” she replied. “Probably more Korean since we’re going to be living there for the foreseeable future, you know?” Michelle and Kristine both nodded. “But we want to try to teach him English as much as we can too.” I nodded along with her words too.

It was true. Korean would definitely come in more handy for our little guy first since we’re living and working in Korea… unless the country totally hates us after having a baby… then~ we might have to switch to English real quick.

We want him to know English though, exiled or not. So we decided that along with Korean we’ll try to just throw in as much English as we can without confusing him. I've read that kids pick up on languages way easier than adults so I’m hoping it won't be too hard on him… sorry buddy. It’s not my fault your American mom seduced me!

Okay so it’s kinda my fault. I-

“Right Tae?”

Huh?

“What,” I replied in English.

“I told them that if it doesn't work like we want I’m sending you both to an English learning school.” I laughed.

“Aye~ noo~, just him,” I laughed. “I’m okay.”

They got a kick out of it, but Tiffany thankfully agreed with me.

“You are getting a lot better Tae, I’m proud,” she said with another squeeze to my thigh. Her smile was so cute that I told myself right then and there that I would try to use as much English as I could today to make her even proud-er? I don't think that’s a real word but wha-

“Wah~ I’m so excited for you,” Michelle said happily. “You guys are going to be the best parents Steph… I might cry.” I thought she was just saying that as an expression, but her eyes really seemed to be glossing over and- oh my god.

“Yah~ don’t cry,” Tiffany said as she also started to become teary and I-I- just… wait.

What in the world is happening?!?

It wasn’t long before Kristine also started to tear up and I was so confused… Did I miss something?!

“Yah,” I said with a laugh. “Why are you crying,” I quickly asked my wife. She shrugged.

“I don’t know~! She started it,” Fany-ah said, obviously meaning her sister. I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her into my shoulder.

Aigo~ my precious little Fany-ah.

“Oh hush,” Michelle said through her tears. “My baby sister is all grown up and having a baby of her own, I’m allowed to cry!” I chuckled.

That was true. It was a touching moment no doubt about it… I just don’t think it should be happening where we were right now. I looked around to see if people were still staring and- Oh god.

The waiter was on his way back.

“Is uh- everything okay here,” he asked as he started setting down our drinks. They nodded, but I felt like I had to say something?

“She is- uh…” How did you say it aga- Oh!  “Having baby,” I laughed. “Happy tears.” He did one big over exaggerated nod.

“Ohh~, congratulations,” he said happily. “I’ll give you all a few more minutes.”

I thanked him and it was a good thing he did.

I still had no idea what I wanted and I’m sure they didn't either.

Thankfully after they all pulled themselves together, and Tiffany helped me with the menu a little, we were able to order. Tiffany got some fancy sounding burger, but I just went with something basic.

“Debbie can just order when she gets here,” Kristine said after the waiter left again. “I’m starving.”

Omo, that totally reminded me! Tiffany’s other cousin was supposed to be here today and I almost forgot. Whoops.

“I’m seriously happy for you Stephanie,” Michelle said with a smile, pulling me out of my head. “I can’t wait to meet him.”

“Me too,” Kristine added. “And he’s going to be so cute too... I mean look at you both.”

I felt really warm and happy hearing that from them. I hoped our baby was as cute as us too! With Tiffany’s genes in the mix though I don’t think it was even physically possible for our baby to not be cute. Thank goodness.

“Do you have a name yet,” she asked. I shook my head.

“No.” Crap… I momentarily forgot that I didn’t have to lie about that to her so I tried to explain. “Ah well half,” I corrected. She looked confused and I honestly had no idea how to explain that in English… “Help,” I said toward Tiffany. She laughed… and then thankfully explained what I wanted to in English.

“Aww,” Michelle said. “‘Young’ is a cute name!” I hummed.

I thought so too!

“And it translates well to English so we’re excited about that part too,” Tiffany added. Her family members nodded.

They started to talk about other things, like more about their lives and what they’ve been up to recently and even though I didn’t understand some parts here and there it translated loud and clear that Tiffany was so excited to be here with her family. She already looked a hundred times more relaxed and the smile on her face was proof enough for me. I was happy we got the chance to stay an extra day with them this time around.

I wanted Tiffany to spend all the time she could with them before we go back home to Korea. I knew she missed them.

 

____________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

I had just taken the first bite of the warm and delicious burger on my plate when my sister pointed toward the door.

“Oh! There she is,” Michelle said excitedly. I felt a little rush of energy too!

Debbie was another one of my very close cousins, seriously. She, Kristine and I were an inseparable trio when we were little. My sister and I were close no doubt, but she was eight years older than me. It’s not a lot now that I think about it but when we were younger it was like the equivalent to twenty years.

I mean what thirteen year old wants to regularly hang out and play with a bunch of five year olds?

Exactly.

Debbie, Kristine, and I were around the same age and just the best of friends. I’m kind of bummed that the timing of all my more recent trips to America never fit her schedule so we could meet up and see each other, but getting to see each other now would totally make up for it! She can finally meet my Taetae too!

“Hey~,” my sister said as she waved excitedly. Omo, was she that close already?

Taeyeon quickly stood up to greet her like the gentleman that he is but by the end of their first encounter, I was cracking UP. It was like something straight out of a movie.

Taeyeon bowed a little out of habit and said ‘hello’, but when he stood up straight again and actually looked at my cousin, she was in complete shock...seriously.

“O-oh my god, hi.” I swear she even took a little half step back before looking at all of us at the table, clearly in shock.

“I’m Taeyeon, it’s nice to-uh meet yew,” he said with an outstretched hand. I grinned.

How do people actually hate him? It just blew my mind.

“It’s nice to meet you too,” Debbie said quickly as she briefly shook his hand. She sat down next to my sister and said the words I don't think I’ll ever forget.

It made me instantly laugh, but like in the best way possible.

“Oh my god, Steph,” she said in all seriousness. “He’s even more attractive in person.” She then gave me a thumbs up and I couldn't help but laugh.

I don't know if I was more proud or embarrassed that she was practically congratulating me on Taeyeon being so handsome aloud, but Taeyeon was a little confused.

“Wae? Was it something I did,” he asked me in Korean as he sat down. I shook my head.

My poor Taetae must’ve not heard her. I told him what she said and he immediately turned red.

“Ah, uh thank yew,” he said with another teeny bow, but she quickly dismissed it like there was no need and gave him a thumbs up as well.

Oh Debbie~

We were all laughing at this point and I was so happy to finally see my cousin again. Since we couldn't exactly hug with me being on the other side of the table, we held hands instead… at least for a few seconds that is.

She ordered and we went over pretty much everything I had just told my sister and Kristine about my little Youngie again, but I didn’t mind. Actually I kind of liked it.

As the days countdown to our Youngie’s B-Day I’ve found myself wanting to talk more and more about him. Okay well maybe not about him exactly but the fact that in two months Taeyeon and I would be parents… Omo. It was so weird to even say that in my head but I was excited! We were excited!

I don’t know how ready we were for him mentally because I don’t think we could ever be ‘ready’ exactly, but we did have pretty much everything we needed to be ready! We had the nursery finished and awaiting a little babe to be put in it, we had probably more clothes than he needed for the first few months of his life, and we even had the house baby proofed although we probably didn’t need to until he started crawling…

Oh well, I found a huge checklist online and have had a lot of free time recently so why not? We probably needed to check our smoke detector and things like that anyway!

Whatever, we were excited but these last few months were just going by SO slow. We wanted to meet him!

I was not excited about what happened just a few minutes later though.

Taeyeon got a phone call and I knew who it had to be. When he came back inside and sat down, my worst fear was confirmed.

“It was hyung. I sent him my location so he can come pick me up.” I pouted.

Just when we started having fun!

I told everyone what was going on and they shared my feelings, probably not as strongly though…

“Aww, that’s no fun,” my sister commented. I agreed one thousand percent.

“Yeah we wanted to hang out with Taeyeon too,” my cousin said. He laughed.

“Nexteu time,” Taeyeon said with a grin.

He is so cute… almost too cute.

He was even cuter when it came time for him to go. I honestly didn't want to let him, but I knew I had to… ugh. We finished eating before his manager got here so we decided to wait for him outside near the parking lot. This restaurant had an outdoor seating area that we took full advantage of… that was until his manager unfortunately showed up of course.

I kissed him goodbye, wished him good luck, and watched his manager drive away… for a few seconds that is.

“What do you want to do now,” my sister asked, pulling my attention back to them. I shrugged.

“I don't care, anything is okay with me,” I said honestly. “I don't go out much these days so-”

“So shopping,” Kris said with a sly grin. I- ugh.

She knew me too well.

“I’m not against shopping”, I said coyly. Trying and failing to hold back my grin. My sister shook her head.

“You're so predictable,” she said with a smile. “Get in. I’ll ride with Deb.”

______________________________________________________________

 

I got back of the hotel kind of late and I was so tired. They really wore me out today and barely even let me nap! That had to be some kind of crime I’m sure. I was pregnant, I like needed a mandatory  nap or two!

Ugh, although I was completely worn out, this was one of the best days I've had in a long long time. It would have been a thousand times better if Taeyeon were there of course, but I knew his job was important too.

Thousands of people were looking forward to his performance tomorrow and I know more than anyone the feeling of not wanting to let them down. I was so proud of him for coming this far from his debut… but it really would've been so much more fun with him by my side today!

Soon!

After we left the restaurant we went to some new mall that I had never seen before. My cousin said that they just opened last year so that’s probably why, I don’t know. It was really pretty though and I couldn’t wait to look around when I got there!

We went to one store of Deb’s choosing and I found a couple of cute tops that I would obviously have to wait until Dukong was born to wear, but I bought them anyway. It’s not like I was going to be pregnant forever!

We then went to a couple stores that sold mostly makeup and beauty supplies because Kris was looking for a particular brand of BB cream, and that was when I saw it.

Oh gosh, am I really that person now?

Through the window I saw a brightly colored storefront that I just needed to go to.

Thankfully my sister and cousins didn’t mind either. I remember Deb saying something like ‘there’s just something about tiny clothes that get me,’ and I couldn’t agree more. Baby clothes were the cutest.

Unfortunately there weren't many things that grabbed my attention at this particular store.

There were a couple Star Wars things I’m sure Taeyeon would have nerded out about, and multiple little sweatshirts with animal ears on the hoods… this was probably the one time I was glad Taeyeon wasn't here to be honest. He would've wanted one of each!

And they say I have a shopping problem…

I did however end up finding exactly two things I absolutely needed and I couldn’t wait to show Taeyeon what they were.

I used the key card to get into our hotel room once I found the right door, and slowly opened it. I was half expecting him to be asleep since he sounded like he was about to doze off when I called him twenty minutes ago, but I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in the room to see him smiling widely up at me from bed... so I was half right.

“Fany Fany Tiffany~,” he said cutely. My heart fluttered.

Oh gosh now I’m even being cheesy like Taeyeon is.

“Did I wake you?” He shook his head even though that was a total lie.

“You liar,” I playfully accused. He huskily laughed.

Oh my- he was totally just asleep.

“Oh well, come lay down and tell me how your day went,” he said as he patted the bed beside him.

Right, what I bought could wait until morning. My Taetae needed his sleep… and so did I actually. I could feel my eyelids hanging low.

I changed as quickly as I could into something way comfier and found my place right beside my already half asleep husband.

“I missed you,” he said before planting a quick kiss on my cheek. My heart melted. “How did it go today? Did you see your dad?” I hummed.

“I did,” I said as I wrapped my arms around him. “We ate dinner with him.”

“Oooh~,” Taeyeon cooed, and I was probably lucky to get that much out of him. I started telling him about our adventure to the mall but I don't think he even lasted long enough for me to get to the baby clothes store.

Aigo~! He must be really tired.

It would have to wait until tomorrow. He needed all the sleep he could get before the big concert tomorrow and that’s just what I was going to let happen.

________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'M FINALLY UPDATING!

 

I know! I'm so sorry!!!!!
Please forgive me!<33333333333333333333333333333

Also I told you guys I wont give up!!!! 
(it just might take me a little bit longer)

 

ps. this chapter is shorter, I know. 
Its about half the length as my usual chapters but it was quicker to write and update for you all
(even though it totally doesn't seem so)

pss. I really am sorry! I don't mean for it to take this long I promise but life and writers block happens and I really hope I can get over this slump and step my writing up for everyone to enjoy!!!

If there is anything you want to see or if you have any suggestions please don't be afraid to comment! 
THANK YOU
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!