Interlude: Of coffee and pinwheels.

Douce-Amère

It hurts.

Of course it would, anyone being in their situation would feel pain too, and they were close, closer than how they are now. Having to call the person you rather have in your arms a friend, best friend even. But who could blame her for not wanting to come closer.

That’s what Chanyeol thinks and what Baekhyun thinks too.

The car ride every day was torture, outside of the shop and hidden from people’s eyes, they were distant. They didn’t speak to each other, because words are dangerous. It triggers things, unwanted things. So it was simpler to not talk about things.

Easier to keep things in, keeping things they wanted to voice for only themselves. Avoiding was their specialty.

Their first meeting is still etched perfectly in his memory.

It was in a cafe in France, she was struggling to get a cup of coffee while he just pushed himself into the crowd of people to the front counter hoping to get and easy cup but he was wrong.

“Excuse me, but what are you trying to order?” He asked her.

“Long black, why is it so hard to order a freaking cup of coffee!” She pouts.

“Two long black, please!” He yells in French and finally catching attention.

As soon as she got her coffee, she practically gulped it down, they spilt the bill and she walks out in a rushed manner.

He watched her walk out thinking that he’ll never see her again.

He was so wrong about that.

His phone rings pulling him back to reality where he stood in front of the mirror holding a snapback with a stupid smile on his face.

“Hurry up,-Baekhyun.”

He puts his hat on and grabs the keys to his convertible, the black with red leather seat; the one Baekhyun hates the most.

He drives to her house and honks; she walks out the door with just a simple black and yellow stripe oversized shirt.

“Can you put the roof up; it’s kind of chilly...” Baekhyun says.

“Sure,” Chanyeol pushes a button.

The day went by as usual but then comes the dreaded drive back home when it seems everything pops into his mind.

He kept his mouth shut, telling his mouth to not say a thing but things weren’t in favour of him.

“Hey, Yeol...” Baekhyun starts soft.

“Yeah,”

The silence continues for quite some time. She tried to find words to say but who could she lie they were at the tip of her tongue.

“Never mind...” She sighs as he pulls up at the front door.

She got off and waves to him before entering her house, he saw from the open curtain of her house letting out a small view of her bedroom, on her wall hangs a rainbow pinwheel.

He smiles, that’s the one he bought her.

 

Baekhyun plays with the pinwheel in her hands, a rainbow pinwheel. She found interest in them after visiting an event in France with a fellow student. Pinwheels covered most of the land of the hill and the wind was blowing, spinning the pinwheel.

The pinwheel in her hands right now, it’s the same one that she got at that time. He handed it to her at that time with a smile.

She stared and the pinwheel for awhile before her lips formed a big grin. That day was unforgettable of course; she confessed that she liked him. He kissed her to say the same thing only through action.

“I like you Park Chanyeol...” She whispered to his as they were walking back to their place.

He turned around and kissed her right there and then.

 

Her tears falls in droplets, those were their only sweet memory in that time span of 4 years in Paris. Nothing but sweet memories that they decide to not bring up every again as they agree without words.

She hugged her knees and cried her eyes out, from time to time she did end up like this, and it hurts to the extent that she could cry herself to sleep with holding tightly onto the pinwheel that he gave her.

Her room which was filled with pinwheels on the walls, some of them were much more beautiful that the one she’s holding to sleep from time to time but none of them matched in terms of value.

Chanyeol never had a liking for coffee that much but just like how he made Baekhyun liked pinwheels, she made him addicted to the aroma of coffee.

He stays awake, playing his guitar softly and mindlessly. The topic of 4 years ago was almost brought up if it wasn’t for her hesitation. They might have talked about it, all those thing that happen in Paris.

It should stay in Paris, don’t you think?

He did, but the topic wasn’t cleanly ended it was forced to end. To keep a secret just between the two of them and no one else could know about it.

 

Maybe, they were at the breaking point.

“Yeol, about 4 years ago, can we talk about it?” Baekhyun finally said it.

 “I’m considering going back to Paris.” Chanyeol sounds bitter.

“Why...” The previous topic thrown to the side for now or it was just another attempt to escape.

“I got an offer, to work as a Chocolatier.” Chanyeol says.

“Don’t tell the others yet, I’m still considering.” Chanyeol adds.

“How could you.” Baekhyun gets off the car and walks to her house which was a block away.

 

She wasn’t that angry, he didn’t care. They managed to avoid the subject again.

Job well done...

 

“Please leave a message after the beep,”

The phone beeps for message,

“Hey Baek, guess who's calling you, yeah, it's me. I'm back in Korea. I’ll visit you soon."

The message ends.

Baekhyun sits up from lying on her couch, eyes wide.

“,” She cusses.

                                                                                                                ~

Late update~~ As usual, comment below and if you like this story/chapter please upvote and subscribe :D Sorry for the short chapter :P