Chapter 10

Douce-Amère

“Are you okay?” That’s the first thing Luhan asks Sehun when he calls her that noon.

“Well, my head baker ran out of the shop, crying, which she rarely does. And my friend walked out of the shop, broken.” Sehun sighs.

“How did you know?” He whispers.

“Know what?” Luhan gets up from the couch with her empty mug.

“That there’s something bugging me.” Luhan puts her mug on the kitchen counter.

“You never call when you’re at work, so I figured that if you had a nice day, you would wait for the day to end to call me. But you called me now.” Luhan leans against her kitchen counter.

 

Luhan smiles and she hears Sehun chuckles, “I might just buy a ring and propose to you right now.”

“You better think that through, Oh Sehun. You might regret it.” Luhan says.

“And why would I when I found a girl who knows me so well?”

“It's because I’m a career woman, who actually lives in another country and is here only for a holiday.”

“How long are you going to be here?”

Luhan looks down to her feet, “Let’s not think or talk about that just yet.”

Sehun chuckles, “Then what should I think about?”

“Me and probably work. You should go back to work.” Luhan says.

“You’re probably right; I’ll talk to you later tonight.” Luhan hears Sehun walking in his shop and a sigh that escapes his lips.

“Hey,” Luhan says softly.

“Take a deep breath, everything will be alright. Don’t stress yourself out.” Luhan almost whispers into the phone.

“I like you a lot, Luhan.”

“Don’t flatter me Sehun.”

“I’m not.” Sehun smiles inwardly.

“You can come to my house if you need someone to talk to,”

“Yeah,”

“Yeah,” That is the last thing Luhan said to him before he bids her goodbye and hangs up.

 

The cafe is totally quiet after that, no one talked. Their attention was on getting everything ready so that business could continue as usual but they knew usual wasn’t really possible without Baekhyun.

“So we have to leave out custards, Feuille d’automne cake and opera cake. I’ll make beignets.” Sehun walks over to his space.

“Do you need any help with them?” Jongin comes.

“Sure, are the panna cottas ready?” Sehun asks him.

“Yeah, 5 batches are set.” Jongin nods.

 

Chanyeol wakes up that afternoon, 2 o’clock. He is in his bed just the way he remembers it, sadly of course.  He covers his eyes with his left hand, sighing loudly before getting up. His limbs feel extra heavy, his head tangled with painful memories when they should be sweet memories.

He slides of his bed and onto the floor, he grabs his phone. He turned it off, blocking all contact with the outside world because all he needs right now is some time alone and some time far from Baekhyun.  He brings his legs up to his chest and throws his head back. He sighs.

 

“Sehun, I have to go. Joonmyeon is asking me to send her to the airport.” Yixing says when the shop closes.

“Actually, I made her ask you.” Jongin pats his shoulders.

“Thanks a lot. You’re going to have to do my chores.” Yixing kicks Jongin in the shin which made the latter scowls in pain.

“Just go, hyung. It’s alright.” Sehun chuckles at the two.

“Just give it sometime, she’ll come back soon.” Tao says.

“Yeah, give it some time.” Sehun nods.

“Baekhyun and Chanyeol had been hiding this from us for so long. How did we miss this?” Jongin says.

“Well, we already knew Chanyeol had a thing for Baekhyun. But Baekhyun never really opened up about it.” Yixing shrugs.

“I don’t think they settle this properly. Or maybe they drifted apart forcefully. Either way, they both need time.” Tao says.

“Chanyeol won’t be coming back. Today was his last day.” Sehun sighs.

“Maybe it’s for the better.”

 

“Thanks,” Joonmyeon says to Yixing when he loads two bags into his car.

“No problem.” Yixing closes the trunk.

“Get in, Joonmyeon.” Yixing eyes her weirdly when she stood there standing.

“Yixing, come here,” She says softly.

So he steps closer to her, she leans into to kiss his cheeks.

“What was that?” Yixing laughs.

“Why, can’t I kiss my boyfriend?” Joonmyeon shrugs and opens the car door.

“Whatever you say, babe...” 

 

“Two weeks, in New York.” Joonmyeon sighs.

“It’s just New York, you’ll be back soon. Two weeks is nothing.” Yixing says as he turns at a corner.

“But two weeks of not sneaking to see you,” Joonmyeon pouts.

“There shouldn’t even be sneaking, we’re been together for 5 months already.” Yixing smiles sheepishly.

“Luhan almost caught you too,” Joonmyeon giggles.

“Why don’t we just come clean?” Yixing asks.

“Sure, I have no objection on that. Just make sure they don’t be too surprised.”

“Well, there are more surprising things going on than us,” Yixing chuckles.

“Why have I not heard this news?”

“Baekhyun and Chanyeol have a past together, but let’s not talk about it.” They enter the parking lot of the airport.

“You could just drop me off.” Joonmyeon says while taking off her seatbelt.

“Are you crazy? I’m sending you off to the gates.” Yixing gets off his car.

 

“When’s your flight?” Yixing asks her.

“I can go now,” Joonmyeon swings her arm that is linked with his as the hold hands.

“You packed everything right? Booked your hotel there?” Yixing looks at her.

“Yeah, everything is done. I have my passport and ticket here, all that’s left is to get on the plane.” Joonmyeon pouts.

“I’ll see you in two weeks. Call me when you can.” Yixing tuck her black hair behind her ears.

“I will,” She smoothens out the lines on his shirt.

Yixing leans in and presses his lips onto her, Joonmyeon holds onto his shirt as they kiss but of course it’s short since they’re in public.

“See you later,” He whispers.

She nods.

Yixing watch her enter the gate and slowly disappears from his view, with a sigh he turns away and walk out of the airport. Two weeks without his baby girl.

 

Her walls are clean.

She took down all those pinwheels; they were all put into a box, except for one. She took off the pin, it sits on her bedside table, Chanyeol was right, the jewels fell out and it looks like it should be thrown out. But she couldn’t throw it out. The pin was given by Chanyeol himself, on the night of their one year anniversary back in Paris.

 

“Baekhyun, open the door.” Baekhyun groans.

She gets up from the couch that she was laying on and goes to the front door, “Just go home. You’re wasting your time.”

“Byun Baekhyun, open this door before I kick it down! I’m capable of doing it!” Tao bangs on the door.

“Tao, just leave please!” Baekhyun says.

“Have you at least eaten something?” Tao sighs.

Baekhyun put her back to the door, “Just go home Tao.”

“Promise me you won’t do anything stupid. And you will eat something and not starve yourself. Then I’ll leave.” Baekhyun slides down and sit on the floor.

“Fine, can you leave me alone now?”  Tao flinches at how weak she sounds.

“I would prefer not to leave you alone but you need time. If you need someone just call me.” Tao says before it all goes quiet.

Baekhyun is left alone where she sits there and eventually breaks her promise with Tao.

 

“J-Jongin,” Kyungsoo stumbles upon a surprise when exits her office building.

“Hi, Kyungsoo,” Jongin smiles at her sweetly.

“What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo walks up to him.

“Are you busy right now?” Jongin asks her.

“No,” She shakes her head.

Jongin smirks and open his car door, “Get in. What do you want for dinner?”

Kyungsoo stares at him in disbelief. He tilts his head, signalling her to get in.

 

So now they sit at a restaurant, after a really awkward car ride where they both stayed quiet to come up with something to talk about but they end up not talking at all.

“So, how was work?” Kyungsoo asks.

Jongin looks up from fiddling with his food, “It was okay, could have been better. What about you?”

“It was okay, I skipped lunch.” Kyungsoo shrugs.

“Is it fun to be a reporter? I heard it’s brutal,” Jongin looks straight at her.

“It’s hard at times, but it’s fun.” Kyungsoo looks down, hiding her blush with her hair that falls over her cheeks.

Kyungsoo giggles and shakes her head.

“What’s so funny?” Jongin lips fall into a lazy smile.

“Who am I kidding, being a reporter . I’m starting to hate it.” Kyungsoo sighs.

“But you must have a reason for wanting to be one or maybe it’s the wrong department?” Jongin asks.

“Maybe it is I’m kind off more interested on writing columns now. I majored journalism in college,”

“Why don’t you try? Send a work to a magazine, maybe they’ll take you in.”

“A magazine is too mundane.”

“You dream big don’t you,” Jongin chuckle.

“How about a kid’s book writer, I can write about Pororo!” Kyungsoo chirps.

“Pororo?”

“I watch Pororo.” Kyungsoo says with a visible blush on her face.

“Can I tell you a secret?”

She nods.

“I watch them too.”

 

“What were you doing before I came?” Sehun asks her.

“Honestly?” Her fingers run through his hair.

He hums to answer her.

“Cleaning the house and changed the flowers.” She says.

 “It smells sweet; maybe I should put some flowers in my shop. It’s soothing.” Sehun whispers.

Luhan looks down to the man that’s using her lap as his pillow, his eyes were drooping while staring at the TV, although nothing in particular is showing. Luhan props her face on her palm, her hand never stop patting his head at times her nail scrape softly against his scalp.

The next time she looks down, Sehun was already asleep. She tries to get but the man turns, his face towards her and hugs her hips. She gasps, but when she sees him frowning in his sleep, she doesn’t try to get up again. Instead she caresses his face and hums a lullaby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yellow! :D Hope you guys enjoy this chapter with all the Hunhan fluffyness and I did not intend on Kyungsoo losing interest in being a reporter, just going with the flow I guess~ Thank you for reading and please comment below on how you think this chapter is! And yes Sulay has been together for some time now~ Welp, see you guysnext chapter! :D