Confrontation

Falling In Love Wasn't Part Of The Contract

Squinting at the sunlight pouring into the room from the window, Sungyeol stirred in bed. Feeling the throbbing pain in his head from his hangover, Sungyeol groaned as he lifted himself off the bed. Hoya who had walked in from the kitchen, threw a hot wet towel in his face as he started nagging about how students shouldn’t be drinking their butts off if they have low alcohol tolerance.

 

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. Wiping his face with the wet towel, he replied curtly: “Your tolerance isn’t that high either.” Laughing as he dodged a pillow that flew in his direction. The now sober student wondered about last night events. He barely remembered how he managed to arrive back at the dorm. All he remembered was seeing Sungjong at the front of the door after he had opened it, and the rest of the night was a complete blur.

 

Sungjong… Sungyeol recalled the said boy being the reason he drank all those shots last night. … He didn’t do or say anything stupid last night, right? And just as coincidental as always, the bathroom door clicked open and the latter walked out, all neat and tidy in his uniform.

 

When their eyes met, Sungyeol was pulled into confusion at the blush that crept up the other’s face, eyes widening as big as saucers. Sungjong immediately averted his eyes, grabbed his school bag and headed towards the dorm door.

 

“Sungjong!” Sungyeol’s call for him stopped the boy from leaving. He turned around slowly, carefully avoiding having to look into his hyung’s eyes. “Yes Sungyeol hyung?” Sungyeol scratched his neck nervously, trying to find the right words to phrase his question.

 

“I… I didn’t do anything or say anything stupid to you in my drunken state last night right?”

 

Sungjong shook his head so furiously Sungyeol thought for a moment that his head was going to drop off. “Nothing of the sort hyung!! Don’t worry!!” Sungjong yelled before dashing out, slamming the door close. Hoya, who had been watching the awkward scene with a deadpan expression, commented: “Some must have happened,” as he continued to leisurely pack his bag. Sungyeol gulped. Sungjong’s weird and jumpy expressions only further confirmed the fact that he really did something last night.

 

Sungjong took deep breaths to calm himself down as he walked along the school hallways. After last night’s turn of events, Sungjong had no idea how he can face his hyung again. He couldn’t believe he was the reason behind Sungyeol’s negative mood all this time. And he really didn’t know how to handle this truth. But he can’t stand seeing his hyung suffer because of him. He knows he will have to answer to Sungyeol soon. But how? And what should he say? Sungjong was filled to the brim with all his thoughts, so much that he failed to notice he was walking straight into the chest of someone else. Feeling the impact of his nose against a hard yet warm surface, Sungjong squeaked when he realised who he had bumped into.

 

“Woah. Nice way to greet me in the morning.” A playful grin was plastered on Myungsoo’s face as he circled his arms around the waist of his fiancé, enjoying the reddening face of the smaller one. Sungjong scrambled out of L’s hold, briskly walking into the classroom, with Myungsoo gazing after the other. Although Sungjong’s expression was cute when he was thinking, the kingka was curious as to what was on the boy’s mind.

 

L furrowed his eyebrows as he peeks at his desk partner. Lee Sungjong, not paying attention in class? Something is seriously up. Of course, Myungsoo wants to know what, as he watches the usually serious and attentive student, who was holding onto a pen yet not writing down notes like he always does. He didn’t even notice the usual stares and glares from the students.

 

Sungjong was getting nervous as time slipped by, and break period was coming sooner and sooner. He knew his deal with Sungyeol on the boy escorting him everywhere in school was still on, and that was what he dreaded. He just couldn’t face Sungyeol, not yet. Running out of ideas, Sungjong fished out his phone and typed out a message to send to his hyung.

 

Even secretly using his phone in class?! Now Myungsoo was annoyed. Who was this person that is able to get his fiance’s attention so easily? L was ready to snatch the phone out of Sungjong’s hand but the latter managed to slip it back into his pocket in time. The kingka fumed silently as he watched the boy who was finally back to paying attention to the lesson again.

 

As the bell rang, signalling for break, Sungjong was packing his books slowly as he waited for his classmates to head out of the classroom first. Myungsoo waited by his side, still grumpy that he haven’t had the boy even spare him a look for the first half of the day. A loud knocking on the door startled Sungjong, as he looked up only to see a not so happy looking Sungyeol waiting by the door. Sungjong gulped and he broke into a nervous state. Myungsoo frowned at the sight, glancing back and forth between the two men. What’s going on?

 

Sungyeol pointed at Sungjong, signalling for him to follow his hyung. Sungjong stole a glance at the kingka beside him, immediately turning away when they exchanged glances. Sungjong slung his bag over his shoulder and followed after his roommate. Keeping his eyes on the ground, he trailed after Sungyeol who was leading the way. None of them were alert enough to realise Myungsoo wouldn’t have let them off so easily without a single explanation as to what was the situation about, and the latter was following them discreetly.

 

“Saying you no longer need me to you anymore out of a sudden? Yah, Lee Sungjong, don’t lie to me and say nothing is wrong.” Sungyeol retorted as he turned around to face the boy behind him. They were standing at the rooftop of the school building, a place Sungyeol was sure no one will be. Thus they will be able to talk freely. Sungjong shuffled his feet, clenching his bag strap tightly as he was at a loss for words.

 

Sungyeol took a few steps forward closer to the other, speaking in a lighter tone than before. “I… did something last night right? Something that made you uncomfortable with me?” Sungjong paused, but knowing he couldn’t hide anything anymore, he slowly nodded his head. Sungyeol groaned as he combed his hand through his hair. “I knew it! What did I do? Just tell me.” The smaller man looked up timidly at his hyung who was staring at him anxiously, fidgeted for a while as a blush tainted his cheeks again as he opened his mouth to explain last night’s events:

 

“Sungjong, I love you.”

 

Sungjong blinked at the confession. “Sungyeol hyung, you really are drunk!” Shaking his head and letting out a laugh, he pulled the drunken man up and with much difficulty, placing him onto his bed. But just as Sungjong pulls away to fetch a pail of water and a towel, a hand had crept around his neck and pulled him down. His face met in an impact with Sungyeol’s chest.

 

Embarrassed, the smaller male tries to get up from his position beside Sungyeol’s bed. But his hyung’s grip was strong, as he felt two hands cupping his face and pulling him up to face the dazed man. Sungjong could smell the alcohol from Sungyeol’s breath, his face reddening at their proximity. “Why wouldn’t you believe me, Lee Sungjong?”

 

“Why must it be that Kim Myungsoo. Why does he get to have the chance to be by your side and not me?” And before Sungjong could even respond to the string of confessions that just spilled out of Sungyeol’s mouth, he felt a small peck on the corner of his lips. Stunned, Sungjong stayed in his position with a shell shocked expression, as the other let his hands slip down the soft porcelain face and rolled over on the bed into deep slumber.

 

Sungjong gulped and stared back down at the ground, and silence engulfs the two students, after the younger male was done with the recount. Sungyeol started pacing around, mumbling under his breath a string of curses as he covered his arising blush with his hand. He sneaked glances at the dongsaeng in front of him. He can’t believe he did it.

 

In an attempt to break the tension arising, Sungjong spoke up first “I am sorry hyung, I know you might have been too drunk and was only joking around, but it was still really awkward for me and-“

 

“Who said I was joking around?” Sungyeol’s serious tone was back, catching Sungjong by surprise. Looking up, Sungjong was stunned by the solemn face on his hyung. Never, has Sungyeol seemed so serious like now. The air became thick with nervousness and shock from the indirect confession. Sungjong felt a lump stuck in his throat. He shifted his gaze away back to the floor, his knuckles turning close to white as he clutched on to his bag strap as though it was his life. Sungyeol hyung was really caring and sweet, he was there was Sungjong was down making goofy jokes and cheering him up, but…

 

“I... I’m sorry Yeollie hyung…I can’t…” Sungjong managed to firm up his shaky voice. He heard a sigh from the recipient, feeling guiltier by the second for rejecting his kind-hearted hyung who had done nothing to cause him any sadness or pain. And yet right now he was the one hurting him.

 

Sungyeol wasn’t surprised at the rejection. He knew it was coming, but it still hurt. “Myungsoo… he is still the one in your heart, huh?” Sungjong flinched at the question, hesitated for a long while, the blush on his face redder than ever.

 

Sungjong slowly nodded his head.

 

“Ahhh… that bastard must have saved a country in his past life or something to have all this stupid luck.” Sungyeol groaned out loud. Sungjong quivered and pouted unknowingly, feeling tears build up in his eyes. He knows his hyung is hurting but is trying to lighten up the mood; it wasn’t like he didn’t know the feeling of rejection before. But before he could let the tears fall, he was engulfed by warmth as Sungyeol embraced him.

 

Resting his head on the younger roommate’s, Sungyeol mumbled, “Hey, it is alright. You are still my favourite dongsaeng. Nothing will change between us, got it?” He patted the other’s back, smiling as he heard the sniffs and the small nod against his chest.

 

But in the next second, Sungjong felt himself getting wrenched away from the warmth as a figure stood in front of him, separating the two men that were just hugging. The man was clutching tightly onto the collar of Sungyeol’s uniform, the older male in shock at the sudden aggression. Sungjong stares in horror as he instinctively grabs the arm of the intruder upon recognising the side profile of the man.

 

“Myungsoo!!!”

 

 

TBC...

 

 

A/N: *the shameless and petrified author peeks from behind the wall, hoping readers are too engrossed to remember to slaughter this lazy bum* i swear all the continuous comments of asking me to 'update soon!' even after so many months since i updated (i thought you guys have given up on me) just made me so guilty that i pulled an all-nighter just to finally update with this chapter. i know, i am a lazy slow author who procrastinates too much. here is a gun, you can shoot me after you finish reading.