Chapter27

IF IT'S MEANT TO BE, IT WILL BE

“Nadia, where do you want the cake?”
“The flowers aren’t here yet, Na!”
“Nadia, There’s a stain on this tie!”
“Na, I think something’s burning!” These were all the shouts I was putting up with as everybody were constantly in need of my opinion or order. I was going crazy inside because the wedding was in a day and there were still a million things to be done.

 
“Nadia, I think something’s really burning,” Mandy said as she approached me with a concerned look. She was at my house now getting things ready for ‘The Big Day.’
“Oh my God! Are you serious?” I asked in shock.“Where? What? Oh my God!” I freaked out.
“Actually, you know what, Na?” she started noticing my condition. “I think Amy and your mum are in the kitchen. They’ll deal with it. Don’t you worry.”
“Like that’s supposed to make me feel better!” I said throwing my hands in the air.“They’ll take care of it,” Mandy repeated.
“Are you sure?” I asked her eyes pleading for reassurance.
“Positive. You just stay here and continue with your work.”


“Nadia, where do you want the cake? I can’t hold it much longer,” a voice asked. I turned around and saw Jung Min with a huge box in his hands.
“Oh… Jung Min!!! I’m sorry. Um…just put it in the cold room for now,” I said racking my brain for the right answer. With a sigh, he headed off to the cold room. “Thanks Jung Min,” I yelled behind him showing that i was really thankful.
“Nadia, what about the flowers?” another voice yelled.
“They’ll be here tomorrow morning,” I yelled back without even looking up. I was too busy looking at the guest list and checking off everyone who had returned their RSVP cards.


“Nadia, do you know where-”
“Nadia, have you seen-”
“Nadia …”
“Nadia!”
“Nadia …” The stress was really getting to me and i felt like i was going to go insane! Just then my mother walked in.
“Nadia -”
“WHAT?!” I snapped looking up to see my mom’s face in shock. I then regretted the way she reacted. “I’m sorry mom, it’s just that this is too much,” I confessed ready to burst into tears.


“That’s what I came to tell you,” my mom began, sitting next to me and my hair. “I came to say that maybe you should take a break before you have a panic attack,” she explained softly, trying to make her daughter calm down.
“Thanks mom, but I don’t think I can do that. There’s so much to do and so little time. I don’t know how I’m ever gonna get through this. I don’t think I can go through this.”

“Don’t worry. You can get through this and you will, but I’m telling you….take a break. Go outside and get some air. Here, I’ll do whatever you’re doing. You take a breather,” she insisted. I looked at my mom and gave in.
“All right. Thanks mom,” I said hugging her and then stepping outside for a little peace and quiet. However, it wasn’t much saner outside. There were people running around everywhere, and people shouting to one another from across the yard. Just then i saw Hyun Joong who honked the horn as he pulled up in the driveway. I quickly ran over to greet him.


“Hey beautiful,” he said as he got out of the car. “How’s everything going?”
“I think I’ll be spending our honeymoon in an insane asylum. That tell you anything?” I said shaking my head at all the chaos around me. He chuckled a bit then gave me (his fiancée) a hug.
“Don’t worry, Honey. Everything will be fine,” he said encouragingly. “Just another day until you become…Mrs. Kim,” he said liking the sound of that.
“Yep, Mr. and Mrs. Kim,” I said placing my hand behind Hyun Joong’s back and resting my head on his shoulder.


“Oh before I forget, look what I just picked up,” he said entering his car and reaching out to grab something. I gave him a confused look and waited for him to explain. “These are our tickets to Hawaii,” he said waving them back and forth. A smile spread across my face at the sound of Hawaii.
“I can’t wait! I just want to get this all over with!” I confessed.
“Me too, babe. Me too,” He said hugging me and kissing my hair. Just as we were standing there, we heard a cry from inside the house. The both of us quickly ran inside to see what the matter was.


“Oh my God! Why is there so much smoke?” I screeched as i entered the house.
“I…we…uh…kinda…. um…burnt the pie…pies,” Mandy said looking to the ground then at Amy with a mean stare.
“Yeah…um…you know how the box said 15 minutes…well….um….we sorta thought it was…*Ahem* 50…minutes,” Amy explained hoping I wouldn’t bite their heads off. To their surprise, I seemed relieved.


“So no one’s hurt or anything?” I asked.
“Um…other than my broken nail….I’m fine,” Amy said.
“Okay, then it’s all right. You know what. Forget having the rehearsal dinner here. We’ll just go out for dinner,” I said. I was trying to find the easiest way out of all this madness and i wasn’t willing to send them into the kitchen again to start from scratch!


“That sounds good to me,” My mom spoke up.
“Okay. Well, It’s quarter to five, and we’re supposed to be at the rehearsal at half past five. So that’ll give you guys time to clean up and get ready,” Hyun Joong said. “So, we’ll all meet at rehearsal and then we’ll go out for dinner,” He finalized. Everybody agreed and went back to what they were doing. Me and Hyun Joong went off to do separate tasks and then were off to the rehearsal.

Finally, the night was over and Hyun Joong drove me home. This was the last time he was going to see me as Nadia J. He pulled up me driveway and went over to my door and opened it for me. Everybody had already returned home and I was the only one left.
“Here you are,” he said as he took my hand and helped me out of the car. “So, I guess this is it. After tonight, you’ll no longer be my fiancée, but you’ll be my wife. My wife,” Hyun Joong repeated.
“I know. Isn’t it amazing how time flies,” I said leaning against him, who was leaning against the car now. “I can’t wait to see you in your tux tomorrow,” I said nuzzling my nose with his.


“Yeah? Well, I can’t wait to see the doors open with you standing there in your white dress,” he said taking his fingers and moving my hair behind my ear. “Blimey! Our wedding day is tomorrow!” He bursted out.
“Yes, I know,” I laughed at his remark. “But you know what I can’t wait for?” I asked with a sly grin.
“What?”
“Our honeymoon. The two of us….alone…in Hawaii. No one to bother us. No one to tell us when to get up, or when to get dressed,” I said placing my arms around his neck and leaning forward to be closer.


“Oooh, I like the part about not getting dressed,” Hyun Joong remarked biting his lip.
“I didn’t say that,” I laughed. “But, we won’t have a honeymoon if we don’t get married. And we won’t get married if I sleep in tomorrow,” I said looking at my watch. “So with that being said, I shall love you and leave you,” I declared.
“You have a point. But I don’t want you to go yet,” Hyun Joong said pouting.
“Well, I don’t want to go either but I don’t wanna miss my own wedding,” I said looking him in the eyes trying to convince him that i had to go.
“Oh all right. But can I at least have a goodnight kiss?” he asked like a little child being deprived of dessert.


“Well I was gonna give you one,” I smirked leaning forward to kiss him. I held his head and ran my fingers through his hair as he pressed his lips on mine.
“Goodnight Hyun Joong,” I said pulling away and turning towards the house.
“Goodnight Na,” he said grabbing my hand and pulling me into him for another kiss. He quickly cupped my face in his hands and placed his lips to match mine. He then cradled my head and placed a hand on my lower back so that i wouldn’t fall backwards as he pushed his lips to mine. I finally managed to push him away and make my quick escape before he tried to kiss me again. I quickly ran up the steps to the porch and turned around to wave goodbye as i blew him a kiss. He returned my wave and kiss and whispered to himself, “I love you,” before driving away to his home for a good night’s rest.