Chapter 19

IF IT'S MEANT TO BE, IT WILL BE

“Well?” Mandy asked at once as I came and sat down. She kept her attention on me waiting for a reply.
“Well what?” I asked looking at her and playing dumb.
“What was all that about?” Mandy asked. She was wide-awake now because she was talking about an issue that involved a guy. But before I could answer, she heard a ringing.
“Why do I hear a ringing sound?” Mandy asked a bit more alive now.
I dug into my purse and pulled out the phone, which caught Mandy by surprise.


“Hello?” I greeted softly.
“Hey you! I miss you already,” Hyun Joong replied cheerfully at the sound of my voice.
“Hyun Joong? I miss you too, but when I said ‘talk to you soon,’ I didn’t think it would be this soon,” I laughed.
“Well, we’re just about to enter the plane so I thought I’d ring you up,” he explained. I just laughed at the fact that i was talking to him on my NEW cell phone.
“Oh, I see. But who’s phone are you talki-”
“Hurry up Kim Hyun Joong! You’re gonna use up my batteries!” I heard Kyu Jong freak out in the background.
“Nevermind,” I said as my question was just answered.
“So?” Hyun Joong asked.
“So?” I replied back. Ididn’t know what to say.
“Well I guess this is how we’re going to spend a lot of our relationship, on the phone,” he sighed. “Oh well, as long as it’s your voice on the other side.” I fell silent and i could feel myself blushing. “You’re blushing, aren’t you?” Hyun Joong asked as though he could see right through the phone.
“Yeah, I am,” I said quietly. Just then the guys’ flight was called over the intercom.
“Well I guess you have to go,” I said as i heard the call through the phone. “Yeah..!, besides, Kyu Jong’s throwing a hissy fit over his phone. I kinda took it out of his bag without asking,” he confessed with a laugh.
“All right. Well I’ll talk to you soon…again.”
“Yeah, I’d like that. By the way, here’s the number to your phone,” he said as I wrote down the number.
“Okay, thanks. Bye Hyunnie.

“Bye Na,” and with that both of us hung up.

 

“You never told me you had a cell!” Mandy exclaimed, her eyes wide open.
“What’s there to tell? But to make you happy….I have a cell. There!”
“Well I wanna hear all the details. But tell me in the way because we have a long way,” she said with a big smile on her face.
“Okay, I’ll tell you everything. Now i just wanna go. I wanna go home.” So with the final words from me, we headed to Seoul, not leaving the memories of our weekend behind.

6 MONTHS LATER!

“Happy birthday, Nadia!” Mandy exclaimed on the phone.
“Thanks Mandy. But y’know what? I don’t feel any older or different,” I replied as i plopped down on the couch, put my feet up, turned the TV on, and chatted with my friend on the phone. It was a gorgeous day in July and I was home alone, relaxing and trying to pass the time. Me and Mandy were out of university for 3 weeks now, and we were running out of things to do.


“That’s good though because you don’t want to mature too fast. Life would be such a bore if you were serious all the time.”
“Yeah, I guess you’re right. But the weird thing is, I don’t feel like doing anything for my birthday. I just wanna stay home,” I sighed.
“I know what you mean. I mean I’m still exhausted from those exams,” Mandy laughed.
“No kidding,” I agreed honestly. “So what’s new with you?”
“What are you talking about? You sound like you haven’t seen me in ages. Need I remind you that we just went shopping yesterday?” she remarked sarcastically. “But to answer your question, I’m just catching up on all my TV drama’s.”

 

“A love triangle is the basic steps of a cheap Drama, two men fell for a girl…or two girls fell in love with a guy!!! Then the cycle continues again,” I dictated while flipping through the channels avoiding any soap opera.

 

“Yeah, well that’s easy for you to say. You’ve got all the excitement in your life. You’re the one with the Hallyu star boyfriend while my life is filled with boredom.”
“Well, to be honest, my life isn’t as exciting as it may seem. I mean the last time I actually saw Hyun Joong was on Valentine’s Day not even on his birthday. This is harder than I- oh hold on a second, Mandy. I’ve got another line.”
“Okay,” Mandy agreed as she waited patiently for me to return to our conversation.


“Hello?” I answered the call.
“Hey Birthday Girl!” Hyun Joong’s cheerful voice greeted me.
“Hyun Joong! Speak of the devil!” I exclaimed excitedly. “Oh can you wait one minute. I’ve got Mandy on the other line.”
“All right.”
“Hey Mandy? Sorry to do this to you, but it’s Hyun Joong. I’ll call you back later.”
“Oh sure. Ditch the girlfriend for the boyfriend,” Mandy teased with full sarcasm in her voice. “I just have one thing to say to you…‘I rest my case!’”
“Thanks Mandy. I knew you’d understand,” I said.
“Yeah whatever. Call me later. I want the full details !”
“Goodbye Mandy,” I said with a bit of annoyance and then returned to my conversation with Hyun Joong.


“I’m back!” I announced with a sigh.
“Good! I missed you,” Hyun Joong replied.
“Aww Hyunnie! I missed you too! I still do.”
“Don’t worry…., I’ll see you soon. I just called to tell you one thing…” but he didn’t finish his sentence.
“And what would that one thing be?” I asked as i smiled to myself on the couch.
“I wanted to say-”
“Hold on a second Hyun Joong,” I interrupted him in a provoked tone. “Someone’s at the door,” I explained to him as i walked over to the door with the phone still in my hands and opened it.
“Happy Birthday Na!” Hyun Joong exclaimed as he stood on my front porch with his cell phone to his ear and a teddy bear and bouquet of Pink Roses (my favourite flowers) in his hand. I was absolutely shocked. I couldn’t believe he was at my doorstep after 4 months-especially without notice. I was so surprised i dropped the phone and just jumped into his arms and gave him a huge hug.


“Oh my God, Hyun Joong! You’re such a freak y’know that?” I said as i was overwhelmed with his presence.
“Gee thanks, Na,” he laughed while still hugging me.
“I’m sorry. It’s just that I never expected you to be at the door. This is the best birthday present ever!”
“Oh, so I guess you don’t want my gifts then.”
“Don’t even think about it, Hyunnie! Flowers and teddies are welcome anytime. Speaking of welcome, come on in, unless you want to stay out here and continue talking on the phone.”
“I’d rather go in,” he said handing the gifts over to me and entering the house.

 


“So why didn’t you warn me that you were coming? I would have at least dressed up for you. I look like a bum in these clothes,” I said closing the door behind me and picking the phone up.
“Because I wanted to see your reaction. And you already look beautiful-you’re a beautiful bum,” Hyun Joong flattered me while walking over to me and huged me again.

“You really did miss me didn’t you?” I asked with a smile.
“You have to question that?” he replied. I didn’t bother to answer his question but decided to ask him one of my own.
“So how are the others? I thought you guys are together again,” I questioned with a wink and sat down on the couch.
“Oh, they’re Fine. But they had their own business, and as for me i have a break for 2 weeks then it’s off on promos again. So i decided I’d come see you first,” he said expecting me to be proud of him as he followed me to the couch.


“Hyun Joong, you’re such a sweetheart,” I complimented snuggling up to him.
“Really? Well I guess you make it come naturally for me,” he replied pulling me in close to him. I didn’t reply but nodded my head in response. “So what do you have planned for tonight? Are you throwing a big birthday bash like Mandy?”
“Actually, I’m not. I don’t have anything planned- and that’s how I want it, really,” I confessed to Hyun Joong. He was just sitting there listening to me while fiddling with my hair.


“Really? You don’t want to do anything for your birthday? Not even though I’m here?” he questioned slyly. I lifted my head from his shoulder and gave him a look while raising an eyebrow.
“And exactly what is that supposed to mean?”
“Oh nothing. It’s just that I already made plans,” he said in a casual tone as if it didn’t matter a bit.
“Oh really?” I said curiously. “Well do tell. I’d really like to know.”
“I knew you’d want to know,” he laughed. “Well since it’s been about four months since I last saw you, I thought we would go out to dinner. Y’know, celebrate your birthday and our 6 month anniversary is coming up,” he said while I listened with gleams in my eyes. When he finished explaining, I gave him a little kiss!


“Wow! What was that for?” he asked touching his lips.
“You remembered our anniversary. And besides, I felt like it. Got a problem?” I asked failing to keep a straight face.
“No ma’am. No problem!” he laughed along with me.
“Good. Glad you see it my way. Now, where are we going for dinner? Hope it’s not too fancy because it’ll take me forever to look for a dress,” I admitted.
“Well, sorry to break it to you, but it’s pretty fancy. You deserve a fancy place. Have you heard of a place called ‘Jardin D’amour?’”
“Please tell me you’re jokin’!” I blurted out wide-eyed. “We’re going there? I’ve only been there in my dreams, Hyun Joong!”


“Well that’s where were going tonight. We’ll have a wonderful view of Han River from our table.”
“Oh my God! What am I going to wear? I don’t have anything ‘that’ fancy.” Hyun Joong couldn’t help but laugh at me freak out over what to wear. I was never like this about clothes, but a fancy place like this got me freaking out. “Okay. I’m gonna call Mandy. She’ll probably have something,” I was talking to myself now.
I quickly ran to the phone and filled my friend in on the last half an hour. We both were squealing with excitement on the phone, like little schoolgirls. While I conversed with my friend, Hyun Joong sat on the couch watching my joyful face and thought how he was going to make the night one i would always remember.