Chapter23

IF IT'S MEANT TO BE, IT WILL BE

“Mum? Have you seen Na?” Hyun Joong asked completely worried, as he ran around the house looking for me. “I can’t find her anywhere.”
“I saw her and Yoon Ah get back about 4 hours ago. We sat and had tea together. She thanked me sincerely, But she looked awfully disturbed to me. She might have had something on her mind,” Mrs.Kim replied from her room.
“Maybe she’s still with Yoon Ah. Do you know where she is?”
“She said she was going over to Kyu Jong’s house because Hyung Jun was back. She asked Nadia to go along but she said she was a bit tired. Poor thing, she still doesn’t feel comfortable around us.”


“But then where’s she?” Hyun Joong said walking into his mom’s room.
“Maybe she decided to go with Yoon Ah after all. I’m sure she’s fine. Don’t worry dear. Here, sit down and just be patient.”
“Mum, this isn’t like Na; she doesn’t just go off somewhere without telling anyone,” Hyun Joong confronted his mother and thought of ways in which he could contact me. He paced back and forth and then came up with an idea “I know. I’ll try calling her mobile,” he proposed quickly dialing the number. Just as he finished, he expected me to pick up the phone and tell him where i was. To his surprise, instead of hearing the ring in the phone, he heard it somewhere in the house. He kept letting it ring so that he could follow it and locate the phone.

 

He didn’t have to travel far because he discovered where the phone was- in his room (where I was staying.) Hyun Joong now was really anxiety-ridden for my well being and started to panic. Just as he was about to pick up the phone, he noticed that next to it was something shiny. Something that looked really familiar. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he realized what it was. His jaw dropped at the sight of the necklace he had given me on my birthday. It was lying next to my phone out in the open as if I didn’t care if it got lost. Maybe that was the idea! Hyun Joong looked around the room and noticed all my luggage was gone. He immediately grabbed the phone and the necklace, put them in his pocket, ran downstairs, grabbing his coat and headed out the door!

I found myself standing in front of Mandy’s house as the cab drove away. My eyes were red and stinging with tears and my hair was soaking from the rain. I didn’t know what to do or why i was there. All i knew was that i didn’t want to go home. I stood there staring at the house, not thinking anything and not feeling anything but heartbroken, cold, and wet.

Without making a definite decision, i picked up my luggage off the pavement and walked up to the door. I hesitated before knocking but then did it anyway. While waiting for someone to open the door, the rain from my hair kept dripping down my face and making my eyes water even more, but i didn’t care. Finally, i could hear footsteps on the other side of the door as the person came closer. Mandy opened the door and was shocked by what she saw.


“Nadia! What are you- Oh my God, look at you! You’re soaking wet!” she exclaimed, but before she could say another word, I immediately broke apart and fell into her arms.
“I hate him! I hate him!” I sobbed, holding onto my friend. Mandy was absolutely confused but she was still comforting.
“Shhh…It’s okay,” she said quietly and caressed my back. “Here, come in and get warm, then tell me all about it,” she continued as she pulled away from my tight grip. I wiped away my tears and agreed. Mandy helped me with my bags and we both went inside. While I went to change into warm clothes, Mandy made us tea. When I came back, i was still shivering and my eyes looked completely puffed from crying.


“Here Na drink this,” Mandy said handing over my tea and leading me to the couch. “Okay, now do you want to tell me what happened?” she asked hesitantly, being sensitive of her friend’s feelings. I stayed silent and didn’t answer. “It’s Hyun Joong, isn’t it?”
Mandy asked. I began to cry at the sound of Hyun Joong’s name and then started, my voice completely shaking.
“I never want to see his bloody face again!” I cried without thinking. “He’s a cheating fool! I should have suspected something was going on when he wouldn’t call. I hate him!”
“Na, do you think maybe you’re over reacting a bit? I mean, did you talk to him about this?” Mandy asked calmly, wrapping her arms around me and pulling me in for another hug.
“No. I don’t want anything to do with him anymore. Why would I? It’s so unfair!!!” I replied pulling away, burying my face in my hands and continuing to cry.


“I can’t answer that, but maybe you should talk to him. At least give him a chance to explain.” I was furious and looked up at Mandy with a vile look.
“Why would I do that? It was totally obvious he was cheating-he was kissing another girl! Whose side are you on anyway?” I snapped.
“I’m on no one’s side. I just think this is a big misunderstanding. Hyun Joong would never hurt you. I just don’t know how he let you come back without explaining anything.”


“He doesn’t know I left- I didn’t tell him. He’ll find out soon enough. Besides, I left my-his cell phone there and the necklace he gave me. I don’t want anything from him.” This left Mandy thinking how stubborn I was acting.
“Okay, Na…you know I love you, but I’m saying this to you because I think it’s best. I think you should rest a bit- you can stay here if you want, but just rest because you’re talking crazy! After you get your head straight, call Hyun Joong and talk to him. Hear what he has to say. Just do that okay?” Mandy finished expecting me to agree. But I remained silent and cried to myself.
“Mandy, I’ll rest, but I’m not talking to him.”


“Okay, but just give him a chance later to explain,” she comforted me by giving me another hug. “Everything’s going to be all right.”
“I hope you’re right,” I said under my breath while letting the tears fall. “I think I’ll go home now.”
“All right. And just call me if you wanna talk again.”
“I will,” I replied grabbing a tissue and wiping my tears.
“Okay. I’ll drive you home.”
“I owe you big time. I just wish I never fell for Hyun Joong,” I said standing up and grabbing my bags.
Mandy looked at me and shook her head in disagreement. Then with my smiling (on the outside) we headed for my home.