Chapter 15

IF IT'S MEANT TO BE, IT WILL BE

“Whoa! Mandy! You look y!” I laughed as i purred like a cat after my comment. Mandy and i were getting ready for the party, and she had just stepped out of the washroom in a long navy blue slim-fitted dress. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it wasn’t too casual either. You could say it was ‘just right.’ It was a sleeve-less dress with straps that were not spaghetti straps but they weren’t too thick either. The neckline was just right too. This means that the guys wouldn’t be able to look down her dress even if they tried!


“Thanks Na!. You look hot yourself sista,” she replied with laughter as she twirled around while looking in the mirror. I was putting on my earrings, which went astoundingly with my dress. I was wearing a baby-blue slim-fitted dress that went down just a bit above my knees and that showed-off my legs. My dress was sleeve-less as well and it had thin straps just as well. As for my neckline, it wasn’t revealing either. It was a straight-neck that showed-off my silver necklace with little flower pendants bordering the chain very nicely.

 

 “Kim Hyun Joong’s gonna freak when he sees you. I mean he’s jaw’s gonna be on the ground in a heartbeat!”
“Really!? You think so? I dunno…I think it’s a bit too much for a simple party in the lounge,” I spoke modestly as i went over to Mandy and shared the mirror.
“Nah! I think it’s fine. It’s appropriate. You’re not going overboard. And Hyun Joong’s going to want to be by your side every second. He’ll become territorial, y’know how guys get.”

“Well I hope he does like this. I just feel so comfortable and loved with him, and I just…oh bless him! ” I thought out loud while looking at my reflection. Mandy looked at me and then those concern thoughts was coming back again.

 

“Um Nadia…I don’t want to ruin your mood, nor do I want to be a party pooper, but don’t you think it’s a bit early to tell exactly how you feel about him? I mean you’ve known him how long? Not even a week yet and still you sound like you’re totally in love with him! A bit fast don’t you think Na?” Mandy spoke up as she tried not to hurt my feelings.

 


“Well, it does seem a bit fast now that you put it that way. And I definitely don’t want to get hurt. But I can be caught up in the moment, can’t I?”
“Sure you can. But I think it would be wise if you just took things a bit slower, instead of got overwhelmed with everything. Remember what you told me? About not getting your hopes up too high? Well, I suggest you take your own advice there, Na! Be on the safe side! But you can still have fun with him, as long as you don’t rush yourself” she spoke openly. “And remember, we are leaving tom-…” but she didn’t finish her sentence because she realized that I hadn’t thought about that specific issue. However, I figured out what Mandy was going to say and it clicked to me that this weekend might be the last that i saw Hyun Joong.


“Oh my God, Mandy!!! That never even crossed my mind. How could I be such a fool?” I said despairingly as i sat down on the bed looking at the floor. Mandy knew that I would become melancholy again, and that was the last thing she wanted before her party. She wanted me and herself to enjoy the party without having painful thoughts throughout the night.


“Hey, c’mon now, Na. Don’t do this again. You were so happy a few seconds ago. Don’t ball up inside again,” she said as she sat next to me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.
“Yeah, but a few seconds ago I didn’t even think that’d I’d be leaving Hyun Joong tomorrow. You don’t understand Mandy. I completely forgot about that. I was so caught up with him, I forgot about my future,” I replied on the verge of breaking out into tears. “Everything was going so well too.”

“I’m so sorry Nadia! I should’ve kept my stupid mouth shut. I feel so guilty,” Mandy said just as disappointed.
“No, it’s not your fault Mandy. I was gonna have to face reality sooner or later. I was living in a dream world for the last few days. You’ve actually made me think ahead of time.”


“So…um…what are you going to do?” she asked quietly and curiously.
“Well, I have to go to the party. I mean we can’t let a good dress like this go to waste,” I said, forcing a smile on my face and wiping my tears from my eyes. I had to put on a smile for my friend’s sake. I wasn’t going to ruin my friend’s birthday.


“Are you sure that’s what you wanna do? I mean what are you gonna tell Hyun Joong?” Mandy asked curiously. She was surprised to see me being optimistic. Me and Mandy were literally sisters and we were basically opposites. I was pessimistic the majority of the time and Mandy was the optimistic one. But to find me being optimistic at a time like this was…well bizarre.


“I dunno. I guess I’ll deal with that when I have to. I don’t want him to think about that right now if he doesn’t have to. He already seemed upset about something, I don’t wanna add to that.”
“Well, at least you have time to think of what you’re gonna do,” she tried to make me see the bright side.
“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I replied faintly. “Thank you. I really don’t know what I’d do without you. I don’t know how I’m going to repay you.”


“That’s easy! I get to be Maid of Honour!” Mandy blurted out making me laugh.
“Oh…! There’s not gonna be wedding for a loooong time. I’ve got plenty of time to decide! But to let you know ahead of time…It’ll probably be ya!” I cut in. We continued to get ready; I finished putting on my jewellery, while Mandy fixed up her make-up. Just then, there was knock at the door.

 

“Mandy, you go open the door. I don’t wanna feel like a door man,” I ordered politely and jokingly.
“Yes ma’am,” she said as she headed to the door and opened it half way. “Na, there’s someone here for you!” she turned around and said with a wink. I figured out it would be Hyun Joong so i quickly looked in the mirror before walking up to the door.


“Well I’ll be! You’re lookin’ mighty fine!” Hyun Joong exclaimed with sparkling eyes and a big sweet smile which melted my heart.
“Thank you,” I said timidly as i began to blush. “You look outstanding as well.” He looked pretty alluring himself. He was wearing black pants, with a burgundy shirt and a black jacket on top. He looked very voluptuous and attractive as well. I was surprised by what i saw. It wasn’t a tux or anything, but it was just as appealing.
“Shall we go?” Hyun Joong said as he stuck out his arm like a gentleman for me to take. (Oh My!)


“Yes we shall,” I replied as i accepted and placed my hand through Hyun Joong’s arm. “I’ll see you in a bit, Mandy,?”
“Oh yeah, go ahead. I’ll see you in about 5 minutes,” Mandy said as she insisted that me and Hyun Joong leave.
“Okay. Well I guess we can go then,” I said to Hyun Joong who was bewildered by the way I looked.
“Okay. Bye Mandy,…and by the way, you look just as gorgeous, Mandy!” He said before we left. Me and Hyun Joong walked to the lounge in silence. He was thinking about the party, while I had thoughts about my conversation with Mandy running like mad in my head.
“I don’t know what I’m going to do…I really don’t. Maybe I can fool you Mandy but I sure can’t fool my heart.”

The staff of the resort had really done a spectacular job of transforming the lounge into a party room. There were baby blue and white balloons floating everywhere. There were streamers hanging from the ceiling, and the lighting was just indescribable. It was like a high school prom basically, but the only thing different was that there was actually some booze.

 

There was a snack table filled with food, there was music playing in the background, and there were bubbles floating everywhere. What made it more magnificent was the fact that it was snowing outside which made it seem like a winter ice castle. It was like a page right out of a fairy tale. It was amazing what people could do within a night’s notice.

 

This is because the party was actually going to be quite small. It was only going to be the girls going into the nearby town for dinner, dancing, and a couple of drinks. Fortunately, the guys showed up when they did and the party grew. Mandy decided to keep the party at the lodge and to let all of the LUCKY guests staying at the resort come to it. But make sure that there is no photo taking and She asked the staff the previous night just before she went to bed if her ideas would be allowed and if the staff could help with the food. Luckily they were quite thrilled to help and everything went well. Anyway…back to where we were.


“Oh my God! This is so beautiful, Hyunnie. Can you believe that this is the lounge?” I commented enthusiastically as we entered the room.
“It’s brilliant. I can’t wait to see the expression on Mandy’s face!”
“Me neither! She’s gonna freak, never mind you!”
“What was that about me?”
“Oh nothing,” I replied quietly.
“Oh my word! Well how the devil are you?” a familiar voice said from our back. Me and Hyun Joong were both surprised and turned around only to find Kyu Jong looking me up and down as well as being flabbergasted.

 

 
“Well thank you, Kyu Jong. You look absolutely magnificent yourself,” I complimented sincerely. “So who’s gonna be the lucky lady tonight?” I .  “I dunno. I haven’t found her yet I guess,” Kyu Jong said a bit disappointed but then cheered up right away. Surprisingly, he wasn’t moody!
“Ah, don’t worry ‘bout it. I was only joking. But you could always come look for me if ya get lonely,” I offered with a wink.


“Nah, you already got a date. Besides, I don’t think Hyun Joong would appreciate that too much,” he whispered while looking at him. Hyun Joong was watching his friend like a hawk. OMG!!Mandy was right; Hyun Joong was getting territorial.

“But could I ask you for just one thing though?”
“Sure, anything,” I replied as i tightened my grip in Hyun Joong’s hand letting him know he wouldn’t have to worry about me leaving him for Kyu Jong.
“Would you, maybe…save a dance for me?” he asked with hopeful eyes. He looked so uncertain of what my answer would be.

 


“Of course I will. How can I refuse?” I giggled. I could feel Hyun Joong’s grip tighten as well. I looked at Hyun Joong with a smile and mouthed ‘don’t worry.’ I was just being friendly and didn’t want to disappoint Kyu Jong. Kyu Jong who was happy to hear the answer from me gave a quick ‘thank you’ bow and then walked away to meet up with Hyung Jun at the snack table.


“Hyunnie, don’t worry. I’m going to spend the whole night with you. It’s just one dance. Other than that, I’ll be right by your side. Well the dance with Kyu Jong and a trip to the lady’s room could be the only things that could keep me apart from you,” I assured him with laughter. He lightened up and placed his arm around my waist. He didn’t seem too talkative. He just seemed dazed and worried at the same time. “Hyun Joong, what’s wrong? I can forfeit my dance with Kyu Jong if it makes you that uneasy.”

 


“Oh, no. It’s not that, it’s just-”
“Hey! Hey! Hey! Whoa, do you look gorgeous or do you look gorgeous?” Young Saeng interrupted Hyun Joong as he came over and gave my hand a kiss.
“Thank you, Young Saeng. You’re not that hard to look at either,” I complimented him while blushing. I was overwhelmed by the compliments that i was getting. I was also getting frustrated at the same time. I was finally getting around to finding out what was bothering Hyun Joong, but i kept getting interrupted. I also had those thoughts in my head that wouldn’t just vanish into thin air.

“Now, only if Mandy will get here. It seems as though her party has started without her.” Just as i said the words, she appeared.“ Damn! That’s creepy! I scare myself sometimes.”
“Well helloooo Birthday girl! You sure make ‘Lady Gaga’ look like a head-less chicken!” Young Saeng remarked as he looked at Mandy with his eyes popping out of his sockets. Just then Kyu Jong and Hyung Jun came over to greet everyone.


“Hey, where’s Jung Min?” Young Saeng questioned as he realized that not everyone was present.
“The last I saw, he was in the loo,” Kyu Jong spoke up which made everyone laugh (even though it wasn’t the truth!)
“Jung Min sure has been having diarrhea lately,” Young Saeng cracked up as he slacked of his ‘not-present’ friend. “I heard that Young Saeng!” Jung Min called as he came up from behind his chum.
“Oh good. So is everything all right? Did you have a nice time with your friend the toilet seat?”
“Haha! Shut up Young Saeng.”
“That’s enough gentlemen. Can we please enjoy the party?” Mandy cut in.


I really can’t believe how gorgeous this looks. If I didn’t know this was the lounge, I’d swear this was a dream,” Mandy exclaimed as she looked around the room at how it was decorated. (even though she had a worried look on her face, she didn’t mention anything about Jung Min, since she didn’t want to ruin the mood.) But i was starting to feel uncomfortable and felt as though i was about to burst into tears. I felt like everything was going too perfect , while i had to deal with the fact that Hyun Joong and I are going our separate ways the next day.

 


“Um, could you please excuse me? I have to make a quick trip to the restroom,” I quickly excused myself. I was glad that I didn’t make it obvious , I was able to hold back my tears until i reached a stall and cried my eyes out there. “What am I going to do? I should talk to Hyun Joong about this, but I don’t want to ruin his night. “Okay, calm down Na. You’re going to have to do it sooner or later. Just tell him how you feel and hear what he has to say. Maybe he’s already thought about it and doesn’t know how to tell you. Okay, here’s what you’re gonna do. Get out of this stupid stall; fix your face, and go have this conversation with him instead of yourself.” Just as I finished having that little chat with myself, i touched up my make-up so that the mascara that was running didn’t make me look like i just got punched. I quickly took a look in the mirror and said, “You can do this.” With the simple words of self-encouragement, I headed back to the party.

*** KEEP CALM AND SUPPORT KHJ ***