Meeting a Jerk

Pretty (annoying) Boy

KWANG AHRI'S POINT OF VIEW:

The whole stadium is full of girls screaming, sweating and pushing trying to get a better glimpse at their idols. In a total here are 25 000 fans trenched in their own sweat, everywhere glowing sticks, cameras, smartphones filming the whole event, signs in every size and color plastered with their names on them:

Shinee! Onew, Jonghyun, Minho, Key and … Taemin! Even their real names are written on some. The place is buzzing with Shinee’s songs, their songs and voices blasting through the speaker.

It is my first concert. My first Shinee concert! I have been a fan of them since their debut, okay I wish I could say something like this, but I have been a fan of Taemin since his debut. It came slowly creeping, you know I am not really into K-pop at all, I just know Taemin and Shinee.

I googled them after I had seen Taemin’s new mv, my best friends Lee Hani and No Sena have ever, at least for as long as I have known them

(and that’s like 6 years! I met them at my old school in grade six at first we would pull each other’s hair and try to stand alone in the corner. After sometime we were forced to stand there together we decided it would be the best to quit fighting each other and become friends.

I think our ex-homeroom teacher blames himself to this day for his stupid mistake, just because we quit arguing with each other didn’t mean we would keep quiet. We became infamous as the three little devils of Senka elementary school.

After the summer vacation of class six we attended the same school again it was around that time when they started liking K-pop.

I had known Shinee through them but just Taemin caught my eye he was cute and a little bit girly with his long hair, though at that time it didn’t bother me. Maybe today. What I cared about was his bright smile and beautiful voice and dance, like every other fan.

Whenever I was down he would (probably just coincidence but for me it was pure fate, he was meant for me!) appear on TV or a song of Shinee was played on the radio. I was happy he was doing so well and everything…

So yeah... I really started to be interested in him when I saw the mv of Danger, this catchy bum bum bum bum line, the dark setting, the zombie-like dance moves, even his weird nose piercing, the fountain-like hairstyle, the dark and strong make up.

He is the master phantom thief stealing my heart!!!!! *crazy fangirl moment fanning myself hectically*

Because of him I have been taking dance lessons like a crazy person for about six years. I started singing Shinee’s songs while taking a shower, at the subway, in school, at school while doing cleaning work as detention because of singing, and now after graduating at the college humming the songs quietly while learning, it all started 2008.

I have never known the other members' names or faces, I just sang along the lines and watched like 5 mvs of them because of Taemin. I never had the Idea of going to a concert till I listened to Danger. He is so hot with his glare and weird moves…

 Note that I knew nothing of K-pop but Taemin and Shinee, I had to memorize their faces for this concert…

 

Taemin is dancing Danger right now on the main stage, it’s his first solo stage. I can see his face on the gigantic screens placed right and left of the main stage. The spotlight is on him, so it seems almost blinding.

This is what I waited for: Him live, seeing him face to face. His hair is covering own of his dark brown eyes the light makes it seem like there are stars in his eyes, the strands of his bleached hair are plastered to his forehead, his whole face covered in sweat.

Concentration is written all over his face, the normally so cheerful boy vanished and a block of ice seems to have taken his place. Not a plump sort of ice block more like an supernatural human being, showing no spark of human emotion, just a straight face.

He means business, his motions and dance movements are perfect, no mistakes. Though, there is something about him, he has an intriguing aura surrounding him.

You want to watch him dancing all day, he has his own style and is totally immersed in being in the spotlight, his presence fills the whole stadium, I am sure even the girls in the last rows can feel him, his profession.

He is wearing black skinny jeans, probably sneakers with plateau, I have seen him wearing those on some TV shows while dancing Danger. The black leatherjacket is shining in the bright light of the flood lights his bare, white chest shiny from all the sweat.

It has to be awfully warm with a BLACK LEATHERJACKET on stage while DANCING AND SINGING, I wonder how it is even possible that his voice is so clear and strikes the right note, he is definitely singing live, you can hear it. 

I am cheering with everyone, though I have no sign or glowing stick, not even my smartphone showing his name in flashing colours.

I am pressed against the metal railing separating me from a little stage in the middle of the stadium, a catwalk connects it with the main stage. There is maybe space for two rulers but not more.

Suddenly this girl next to me freaks totally out… She is smaller than me, has a chubby face and her black hair tied in a messy ponytail most of her bangs are hanging in her eyes.

The pink t-shirt is wet with sweat she looks exhausted but has happy freaking smile on her face. Her eyes are just two lines beneath her eyebrows, she is screaming some name, jumping and jamming into me all the time.

The banister is in constant movements, because she is ramming her body into it, in short: She is a living jack-hammer, loud, huge, annoying and shaking the ground. I know my description of her doesn’t seem very nice, but she is annoying and distracting me from Taemin’s awesome live performance.

And because I am trying to kill her with glares (she doesn’t even notice) I don’t notice that Danger has already ended.

A new song started playing, the speakers blasting some kind of catchy rhythm. Suddenly is the whole audience screaming “Lee Taemin, Lee Taemin…” and Taemin is coming in our direction, the screams around me become even louder, the girl next to me jumping up and down, I pray to god to make unable to move, her elbow hitting my face and her whole body bumping into me.

I push her away to see Taemin dancing just some steps away, he is even more gorgeous, handsome and awesome and unearthly and brilliant and….. and close up.

He starts singing running a hand through his hair I scream as loud as I can (this silly jack-hammer girl is nothing compared to me right now!), he is just looking straight ahead not noticing me or Miss Jack-hammer.

We scream together “Every day and every night….”, he is the only thing I can see. I want to storm the stage and hug him till he begs for breath. Jacky Hammer is crying out louder than ever (I think I might be deaf after this concert) she is jumping up and down like a bouncy ball I used to play with.

Then I can make out the reason for her transformation from jack-hammer to bouncy ball: Some other guy is coming from behind, he is rapping: 

“I do it, I do it… “ wearing a plain shirt and black trousers, his plain brown hair is covering his forehead (he looks like a grade-schooler some kind of bowl cut, I think the stylists did their best) and luckily he steps behind Taemin to dance with the other background dancers, Taemin starts singing.

Everybody screams “Pretty Boy”. For some time they dance synchronized, after spelling “P R  E double T Y” this plain bowl cut rapper steps in front of Taemin.

He is just one step away from us, Jacky aka. The Hammer bounces up and down pushing, squishing squeezing me, her sign high in the air.

I can catch something like “Kim.. “ , I can’t hear the rest because I am booing bowl-cut out. Then Taemin again, then “P R E double T Y”, then dubstep break. I feel like Taemin’s sweat is showering down on us, so close is he.

Bowl cut is dancing solo, around me everyone seems to scream his name but I am Taemin’s only true fan! I yell at the top of my lungs ”Lee Taemin! Lee Taemin! Lee Taemin!” over and over again, trying to make this amateur showoff dancer lose his confidence

(Okay, maybe he is no amateur… His movements match the rhythm, making controlled accurate dance motions, his face shows concentration.)

Pure anger is written over my entire face (“Lee Taemin! Lee Taemin! Lee Taemin!”) all of a sudden our eyes meet…

BOWL-CUT BACKGROUND DANCING RAPPER'S POINT OF VIEW:

That girl that has been booing me out is really hot, though she annoys me, trying to let me fall of the stage with her glares. I look her straight in the eyes, for a split-second her expression changes from disgust to astonishment, a big smirk spreads on my face.

I can sense her heart beating faster, she seems to have lost her composure over my looks. Then the moment is gone and her face is a mask of wrath again. She continues to shout Taemin’s name. Taemin moves back to the main stage, jumping and singing.

The girl tries to steal a glance of him, but I am there to prevent it from happening. I step in front of him, it's easy overlooked that this step isn’t part of the actual choreography, I continue to dance in her field of vision.

She jumps up and down trying to climb onto the handrail, though some other chubby girl is trying to climb the railing as well pushing her to the ground. My eyes are fixed on them fighting with each other, the glaring girl has given up and clenches the railing so hard that her knuckles start turning white, her stare more sickening than ever.

Somehow I want to annoy her even more. Abrupt the song ends I kneel down and reach for her hand clutching the handrail I have to yank really hard to get it of the railing.

I plant a kiss on the back of the hand as I look into her eyes they are burn my soul, piercing thousands of little daggers into my heart

(or that’s what she tries to achieve though it sends just a prickling down my spine, it makes me wish to give her a hard time, so that she’ll lose her composure and freak out).

She quickly grips my wrist with her other hand and wrenches her hand from my grip. I stand up give her a last smirk and follow Taemin back to the main-stage.

Chuckling while facing her with my back a slow song starts. I slowly walk back waving at the fans smiling like a madman.

KWANG AHRI'S POINT OF VIEW:

This jerk is happy to make it alive back if this stupid boundary wasn’t here I would have ripped of his head. The girls next to me were totally freaking out when he bend down and kissed me, now their attention is focused on his back.

Just the jack-hammer girl is still staring at me from the side, for the first time she stands still without moving.

I try to ignore her yelling Taemin’s name again, he is walking around singing passionately into his micro, you can see him on one of the gigantic screens:

His eyes are closed index finger pressing the earbud-thingy into his ear some eye make-up is smeared (I think even without any make-up without any sleep or shower for four days he’d still look extremely handsome…) he is giving it his all.

Miss Hammer has started to cheer on jerk again, he is visible on the other huge screen dancing to the piano melody, such a waste for that guy.

After this song there are no more incidents and my first concert ever ends with an awesome encore given by Taemin, the other Shinee members and bowl-cut jerk.

Some music is blaring out of the speakers while the people start to make their way to the exits.

It’s hot and the smell of sweat fills the air, we are the last to go out of the stadium, because we are so close to the main stage. I take one long look of the stage trying to imprint every single detail into my memory.

I pat the handrail a last time to say goodbye as I note something silver flashing on the floor between the rail and the stage. What is it? I put one arm trough the bars reaching for the silver thing, it’s cold. In the flood light I recognize it as a bracelet:

A delicate bracelet made out of a silver chain, there is a little plate something is written on it but I can’t make it out in this light.

I pocket it and follow the other girls, there is still excitement in the air. Everyone including me has one of the best days of their lives right now. Jacky is hugging her sign a big goofy smile on her round face, I have to think of this annoying guy again anger starts boiling within me I force myself to think of Taemin and his awesomeness.

Everyone is pushing and jostling trying to make it out alive, most of them are tired after three hours of standing around, throats sore from all the screaming and cheering, fighting to get a good view of the stage or screens, though all fans are happy to have seen their idols live.

The bouncy ball girl is pushing through the crowd making way for both of us,(the stadium is open at the top on the sides and end there are grandstands.

The place where most of the fans me too stood is covered in sand and mud, there are some puddles it rained yesterday…) my feet are tired and wet.

We have crossed the whole stadium and reach the entrance some guy in white clothes wearing a jacket with “SECURITY” written on the back and some kind of agent-like headset gives me a nod as I pass him.

He is bald and has little black eyes. Alone his presence makes me uncomfortable. Most of the fans have already exited so the crowd lightens a bit, I am just focusing on the pink t-shirt of the girl some kind of octagon is printed on it in black.

Meter by meter we are making our way to the entrance hall: It’s gigantic and made entirely out of glass, through the glass doors fans are entering the lively street behind the glass.

It’s late in the night, the city is living night and day, you can hear faint traffic noises and see lights flashing even from the end of the entrance hall, the fans are eager to join the night life to go late night shopping or just enjoy the buzzing atmosphere.

I want to go home and sleep, right now we have semester break and Hani and Sena are visiting their families.

They regret missing the Shinee’s concert I am the only one left at our little apartment (we have two rooms, kitchen with a kind of living room and one bathroom, they share the bigger room and I stay in the other one) because my parents and my older brother are living in Australia, they emigrated as soon as I was old enough to live to go to college.

I am nineteen and in my first year, so yeah they have been there for a little over a year.

I snap out of it as I bump into someone, it’s the jack-hammer girl. Why is she stopping? Is the annoying Jerk here again? She coughs her whole body is shaking, clutching she is falling to her knees.

I am frozen for one moment don’t know what to do, the people around me don’t notice her almost dying on the floor, choking to death. Even if I didn’t like her from the start I have to do something!

People are pushing from all sides I am being pulled to the ground. No one is helping, her coughs become weaker and weaker, she is dying and couldn’t even meet that Jerk in person. I feel guilty that he kissed my hand not hers.

Tears are blurring my sight, I am close to panicking, when I remember something I saw on TV. It’s the only thing I can do:

I put my arms around her, clench my fist place it above her navel put my over hand atop of my fist and give her abdominal s (I have to like ten times and she is cough-screaming) until she spits something out, it’s a red candy hitting the white marble floor, milliseconds later it’s squashed between a boot and the floor.

I am petting her back, she is breathing unsteadily still clutching .

Black eyes meet my eyes the moment I look up, it’s the security guard. The people around us have stopped and are curiously looking down on us, the guard asks:

“Are you ok?” pulling the girl up, she is panting. I rise as well between some coughs she carks: “Th...thank y-you.”

Some people start clapping, the guard talks into his micro, I can’t understand what he is saying the fans are too loud all of them now cheering me on. He nods and ends the call.

“The two of you have to follow me.” He grabs one of her arms and symbolizes me to take the other. Hesitating to follow him then I look at the girl again still having a hard time. I pity her and maybe they can help her, I take her other arm supporting her limp body.

Bold-agent leads the way, we are leaving the entrance hall through a side door, the noises are getting fainter and fainter as the door clicks shut and we limp-walk along the corridor. Becoming more uncomfortable with every second I wonder where we are going and if he wants to kill us but one glance at her keeps me going.

Okay and the possibility to meet Taemin (backstage!!) we are passing door after door not a single one has the name Taemin on it….Her weight is getting heavier and close to breaking my shoulder as he stops, luckily. We made it!

It’s another door (there is no sign telling whose or what for a room it is) leading into a room full of clothes and other stuff. On one side of the room are cloth racks and mirrors on the other a black leather couch, arm chair and coffee-table, we carefully let her sit on the couch.

I feel like I have my freedom back and can fly to the moon without her weight.

“I’ll get something to drink. Wait here.” He gives me a long look, I nod. As soon as the door closes my body relaxes immediately, I sit in the arm chair.  I clear my throat. “Are you ok?” She stares at me.

”Yeah, think so, though my ribcage hurts probably from your s.” “I just saved your life.” “Whatever, still hurts. At least I am backstage. Maybe I will meet him.”

I feel like struck by lightning. “Did try to kill yourself just to get backstage to meet this jerk?” She almost rips her board into two (I don’t know how she managed to still have this thing) glaring she snarls.

“No, I accidently choked. And who are you calling a jerk?! How can you say something like this about my oppa?! He is the most handsome and nicest person in this world!!! He dances a thousand times better than Taemin!”

“What?! What did you say?” Aggression is building up inside of me. “Who had his solo debut today? Taemin! Your jerk is nothing but a background dancer and a really bad one at that!”

(I know our conversion is on the level of four-years-old but I have never been good at cursing. She seems just as bad as I.) Her breath stocks, she is really angry right now and suddenly she pulls my hair yanking really hard.

“AAAAAAAAAAAhhh! Yah! Let go!”  - “NO NEVER!”

She only pulls harder I try to get my hair back but she has it in her iron grip. The door opens and the guard followed by two people steps into the room holding two bottles of water. I immediately recognize the persons it’s Taemin and the jerk.

OH NO!