Snowflake

Serendipity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daehyun watched with a fond smile on his face how Youngjae was burying his face into Himchan's chest. It was an endearing sight because they seemed just as close as he and Jongup were. Compared to Youngjae, Himchan was taller and broader and just made such a great big brother figure that Daehyun's heart felt happy. He hoped that Himchan would like him.

“He can stay, right?” Youngjae mumbled into Himchan's jumper, his voice barely audible.

Himchan sighed and looked at Daehyun. Now that Daehyun looked closer, he could tell that Himchan's eyes were much different from Youngjae's. Whilst Youngjae's blue eyes became more and more torquouise in the middle, Himchan's irises were of a deep sapphire blue. It reminded Daehyun of the clear water of the lakes in the summer glade.

“You're not going to do anything stupid, right? Don't do anything that could damage him and if anyone ever finds out, I didn't know about anything,” Himchan explained but despite the snub answer, the expression on his face was welcoming and caring.

“We won't do anything stupid, I promise!” Youngjae beamed.

“Ahh. I can't believe I agreed to this,” Himchan groaned playfully as he kept Youngjae's shiny black hair.

“How are you dealing with the cold?” Himchan asked the summer fairy.

“My wings get stiff, as if they are freezing. But as long as I'm in the house I'm okay,” Daehyun explained.

“That's because your wings are freezing if they're exposed to the cold for too long,” Himchan said. “Just like our wings would melt if we were in the warmth.”

It was quiet for a moment as the mood had become gloomy.

“So please Youngjae, don't do anything stupid,” Himchan whispered at last.

“And you,” the older said to the summer fairy. “What's your name?”

“Daehyun,” the brunette answered.

“Daehyun. Make sure that Youngjae stays in the cold. This can be dangerous for him.”

Daehyun nodded. He didn't want Youngjae to get hurt, even though he was sad that he could never show the beautiful snow fairy all the magics that were on the other side of the border. But Youngjae's safety was more important and he would do anything to protect him.

Daehyun didn't know the older fairy but yet, he highly respected Himchan. The frost fairy seemed to be so wise and knowledgeable and Daehyun could easily imagine following the other's lead and he understood why Youngjae depended on him so much.

“If you keep your wings warm, you should be alright as long as you don't stay in the cold for too long. As soon as you think they are getting cold or even stiff, please get back into the warmth, Daehyun,” Himchan smiled at him.

“I will. Thank you,” Daehyun said, a grateful smile on his lips.

If it were up to Daehyun, he would have just stayed in the winter woods but he knew that he would be in deep trouble if he stayed. That's why he found himself at the border to the summer glade not much later, escorted by two winter fairies this time.

Himchan had insisted that Daehyun had to wear one of Youngjae's long and thick white sweaters to keep himself warm. The fabric kept his wings snugly on his body, protected from the crisp cold air and on top of that, it smelled so much like Youngjae.

“I'll be back later,” Daehyun beamed as he pulled the sweater over his head and started flapping his wings. When his feet lifted from the ground, he turned around and waved at the two winter fairies who were standing on the other side with a smile.

*

Jongup was persistent, or rather persistently rejecting the cute summer fairy that kept begging him to accompany him to the winter woods.

“Are you not curious at all?” Daehyun asked as he guided a swarm of fireflies into the sky where Jongup was already waiting for them.

“No,” Jongup said sternly.

“You will love it, I promise,” Daehyun pouted, sticking his bottom lip out as far as he could. He knew that the other couldn't resist his puppy eyes for too long. Jongup was persistent but eventually he would give in, it had always been like that.

As a light fairy, Jongup glowed brightly, as if all the warmth from the summer glade came from him. Daehyun had always admired the other's soft glow and he was even more impressed, every time he saw Jongup's magic.

Jongup spread his arms to both of his sides and started curling his hands into fists. A ball of light formed in each of his palms as the light gathered there. The balls got bigger and Jongup brought his hands together to form the final orb of light which he carefully guided into a tube that was Daehyun was holding out for him.

Once the light was carefully trapped, Daehyun told the fireflies to form a line to collect their share of light for their little bum bum's so they would glow beautifully once it would be dark outside.

“Hey, no pushing,” Daehyun chuckled when two little fireflies were having a little battle of who would be further up in the line. Daehyun couldn't make light or snow by magic but he could speak to every animal which was pretty cool in his opinion. He loved animals and he enjoyed himself when he was with them.

When all fireflies had left with a glow on their bottoms, Jongup and Daehyun sat on the stump of a tree to rest.

“I met Youngjae's best friend today,” Daehyun started slowly. “They were so lovely to each other, as if they were brothers. It reminded me of us.”

Jongup picked on his yellow shorts, not saying anything. But since he didn't have anything negative to say, Daehyun thought that he could continue.

“His name is Himchan and he allowed me to come back. I think you would like them.”

“I might like them,” Jongup sighed. “But this is too dangerous, don't you understand? I just worry for you.”

“I know,” the animal fairy whispered. “As long as I keep my wings warm I will be alright, I promise.”

Jongup sighed again and nodded, a sign that he would not hold the other back. The light fairy pulled two large sunflower seeds out of his pocket and handed one to his friend, who thanked him quietly. While they were eating, Daehyun looked at the other with curiousity. Both of them were wearing the same yellow shirt and golden shoes, the only difference was that Jongup's shorts were also yellow whilst Daehyun's were brown.

He had never thought about it but after seeing that all winter fairies seemed to were the same colours, he was amazed how the colours of their clothes differed depending on their talents.

“So, tell me about them,” Jongup said once he had finished eating.

“Youngjae is a snow fairy and Himchan is a frost fairy,” Daehyun started, excitedly gathering everything he knew about the winter woods in his mind.

“What's the difference?” Jongup wanted to know.

“Uh... I don't know actually,” Daehyun chuckled and rubbed the bac

Please log in to read the full chapter