Blue Dust

Serendipity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daehyun knew the way to Youngjae's house by heart. He knew how long it would take, what route he had to fly to avoid being seen by other winter fairies. It had been a couple of months since he had first stood face to face with the cute snow fairy and he remembered the day as if it had just been yesterday. Daehyun remembered exactly how Youngjae had looked at him with round and blue eyes after he had slipped on the ice and he remembered how gently Youngjae had placed his own beanie onto his head to keep him warm.

A lot of things had happened until then and Daehyun had made a lot of new friends and precious memories. Every free moment he could spare, he would sneak out and go to visit Youngjae in the winter woods. The scent of fir and cinnamon that always hung around the snow fairy had become so familiar to him that he started to crave it whenever they didn't see each other for only a few days.

Since they had found out how to bear the different temperatures, Daehyun had had no worries anymore about being in the winter woods, he always enjoyed himself thoroughly and found himself liking the snow more and more. The only thing that was missing were his beloved animals, which was the only reason that stopped him from wishing that he was a winter fairy as well.

There was light in Youngjae's little igloo and Daehyun was relieved that the other wasn't asleep yet, it was quite late after all. Daehyun had missed Youngjae so much that he couldn't wait until the next day so he sneaked out after dinner and flew straight to the border.

Daehyun knocked quietly and waited for the snow fairy to answer. When he came to visit in the mornings, Daehyun usually let himself in as Youngjae would still be asleep but now that Youngjae was awake, he didn't want to intrude the other. A few seconds later the door opened and a disheveled mop of black hair poked out from the small slit.

Youngjae's blue eyes widened in surprise for a second but then his pink lips stretched into a smile as he let in the shivering summer fairy. The white sheets of the snow fairy's small bed were crumpled and a blue book lay on the blanket, the pages facing down. Daehyun helped himself with the blue pixie dust that was on the bedside table while the other was searching for a warm sweater. Immediately, Daehyun felt much better, the cold numbness in his limbs disappeared the moment the shining pixie dust covered him.

“Why are you here so late?” Youngjae handed Daehyun a white and soft sweater and sat back on his bed.

“My day felt lonely without you,” Daehyun answered truthfully as he slipped the fluffy fabric over his head. Youngjae's pale cheeks blushed visibly and he averted his gaze towards his lap, his fingers fumbling with the sheets nervously. No matter how many times Daehyun told the other that he missed him, the reaction to his words never seemed to change and it never failed to put a smile on Daehyun's face.

“What are you reading?” Daehyun poked the dark blue back of the book as he made himself comfortable on the bed lying on his stomach.

“It's a book about pixie dust,” Youngjae picked up the book and laid down next to the other, making sure that both of them could read. “I've been wondering a lot how all of this works and if the pixie dust makes us adjust to the temperatures, why we are still not allowed to cross the border. Ever since we found out that we can use each other's dust, I wonder what else there is we do not know,” he explained.

“Maybe Junhong can help you with this. If anyone knows a lot about pixie dust then it's him,” Daehyun suggested.

“I plan to do it once he has finished his training. I read all kinds of books, about wings and about the history of pixie hollow as well, but I couldn't find anything yet,” Youngjae pouted.

Daehyun smiled and inched closer to the other so their shoulders were touching. Youngjae's skin looked pale next to it but somehow, his own tan mixed well with it. He then turned his head a little to look at Youngjae's wings. They were translucent just like his own but instead of the golden shine, they shone in a crystal blue, almost like a very thin layer of ice and the light reflected beautifully on them, making them look as if they were made of a million little diamonds.

Daehyun flapped his wings a little until they were touching Youngjae's crystal wings. Youngjae shifted a little and leaned his whole body closer to the summer fairy and then, Daehyun felt a gentle pressure on his wing where Youngjae returned the touch. Blue and gold looked just as good together as pale and tanned skin.

It was the first time their wings touched, it felt so much different from holding hands, so much more intimate. Warmth spread through Daehyun's chest and limbs and felicity seemed to wrap around them like a cozy cocoon. Youngjae's head dropped onto his shoulder and he nuzzled his nose into the soft locks, inhaling the snow fairy's scent of cinnamon that he thought would go so well with honey.

None of them said anything as they enjoyed this new found sensation, the book and any questions forgotten for the moment. The tips of Youngjae's ears were pink and Daehyun was sure that if he could have a look of the snow fairy's face, the colour would be matching.

Outside of the igloo, harsh wind was howling , ripping Daehyun out of his blissful bubble. He wasn't used to rough weather but since Youngjae showed no sign of uneasiness, he knew that this was just a normal occurrence. Nonetheless, their little moment was broken and Daehyun suddenly felt empty.

“I never had many thoughts about the pixie dust. I receive my share regularly and it allows me to fly and to

Please log in to read the full chapter