Four Seasons

Serendipity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Far away in the deep blue sea was an island that not many people knew about. It's residents came from four seasons, it was a place where Summer, Spring, Autumn and Winter came together and lived in harmony.

Legends said that the tears of a beautiful fairy many years ago created this place which was now called the home of love. Love was such a precious thing that someone had to feel to fully understand its meaning.

The greatest treasures couldn't be held with your hands, they were held within your heart.


 

*


 

Two fairies had not hesitated to say 'yes' to the question if they were ready to devote their lives to each other. A simple word, coming from the depth of an innocent heart that would lead them to so many changes. Youngjae had fallen in love with the warmth of the sun and Daehyun could not imagine his life without the sparkling wings that made his days so much brighter.

But going to that island meant they had to leave their current homes and also, leaving behind their old friends. The confirmation to move to a new home had been so honest, had come so quick from their mouths that they had little time to consider what they would leave behind. So when the next day came, they met with their closest friends, their minds full of worries. But the winter fairies told Youngjae to go and follow his heart and Daehyun received the same advise from his fellow summer fairies.

With the motivating words from their friends in mind, they met up with the other fairies they had spent the most time with in the past few months. They were nervous when they spoke to them, keeping their hands tightly together. First spoke Daehyun and then Youngjae, both of them carefully observing the other four fairy's faces.

Himchan was the first to speak up once they finished telling their story, saying that he didn't want to let Youngjae go, tears threatening to roll down his pale cheeks. The scene was heartbreaking, Daehyun was the one feeling guilty the most when his eyes wandered from Himchan to Jongup, who wore an equally sad expression. Himchan and Youngjae were clinging onto each other and Jongup approached Daehyun slowly, his warm brown eyes looking at his best friend.

It was Junhong who brought their sadness to a halt with the simple question that would change everything for them.

“And you two planned to go without taking us with you?”

The solution was so easy but often the simple things were overlooked and overshadowed by big worries and fears. Himchan's tears were dried quickly and also Jongup wore a smile. They had a lot of friends in their season's home but there was one person who had become the most precious to them. Decisions were made quickly and the next step would be to visit the respective Mother's and Father's of their seasons to ask for approval.


 

Father Nox' ice palace was on a hill behind the pine tree forest. It was the last station for them to ask for him to allow Himchan to leave to the island. Himchan was the only one worried because everyone else had already received approval and all reassuring words of the others fell on deaf ears. The ground was slippery and everyone who was not a winter fairy had difficulties to keep themselves on their feet. Daehyun, dressed in one of Youngjae's blue sweaters and a beanie on top of his head, was clinging on the snow fairy's hand for his dear life.

Youngjae found this all very amusing but the welcomed the warmth coming from Daehyun's palm and tried his best not to laugh when the other fell on his , just like the first time they had met. It was a very precious memory to Youngjae.

Once they made it to Father Nox in one piece, everything went on rather quick. Of course, after meeting Youngjae a few days ago, he already had a feeling that Himchan would come sooner or later, there was no Youngjae without Himchan and no Himchan without Youngjae. Himchan received affectionate pats on his head when Father Nox told him he would miss him in the winter woods - but Himchan was allowed to go.

Leaving the palace turned out to be difficult because one of the snow owls had become very fond of Daehyun and didn't want him to leave (much to Youngjae's dissatisfaction). The day was still young and it had just started to snow when they went out.

They now had exactly one day for every season to say good bye before they would leave for good. Since they were already in the winter woods, they decided to stay there and make this their first station to bid good bye.

Himchan and Youngjae gathered their friends, who were all dismissed from their work to spend the day with them. First they went to the penguin hills, watching the animals slide down on their bellies with a joyful expression. Junhong wanted to try it too so the winter fairies flew away just to come back with sleighs made of wood which they shared to slide down the hill. They played together with the penguins until it was dark.

The other fairies left to sleep but the six fairies who would start a new journey soon stayed behind to spend more time together. Himchan and Youngjae had gotten every blanket they had at home and they were sitting on a large stone in front of a bonfire, the warm weather fairies wrapped in a lot of blankets to keep themselves warm. Above them was the night sky but it wasn't dark like some of them would have expected, blue and purple lights spread all over the sky, leaving them in awe. Every now and then the colour would change and the blue turned into green and the purple became a bright red. Youngjae explained that these were polar lights and could only be found in the winter woods. It was a spectacular play of nature and just one of the many magics of the winter woods.


 

Their next step was the summer glade. Again, the fairies friends gathered to bid goodbye to the summer fairies who would leave. All of them brought presents, fruits and flower crowns for the boys. Daehyun placed a crown made of pink roses on Youngjae's head and Youngjae blushed, his face matching the colour of the flowers perfectly, it made Daehyun fall in love with him even more. They went to the large lake and used sunflowers to float on the water. Fishes gathered around Daehyun's and Youngjae's boat and the animal fairy laughed cheerfully as he put his hand into the water to pet their heads. Yongguk impressed everyone with his water talent and Jongup joined him to create a beautiful rainbow over them.

The time was passing so fast that the sunset came without them realizing. Beautiful colours were painting the sky, yellow, orange, pink and purple. Daehyun wondered what the evening sky would look like on the island. He knew that the island was able to accommodate all seasons but the winter's night sky, despite being so beautiful was completely different from the summer's sky. He would miss this sight a lot, he thought.

They gathered on the soft grass with a perfect view on the lake, the sun was reflecting on the surface of the water, creating a breathtaking sight. The darker it got, the more fireflies started to appear nearby, making it look like the stars had come down to surround them. The winter fairies had never seen fireflies so Himchan and Youngjae were the most excited about the little animals. When the sun had sent its last soft rays to them, they got tired quickly. Youngjae was the first to yawn, it got dark in the

Please log in to read the full chapter