New World

Serendipity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Three fairies dressed in blue from the top to their toes had come to pick up the six adventurers to take them to their new home. At the shore, a lot of fairies and friends had gathered to say good bye and wish them good luck. A lot of waving hands and a last turn over their shoulders and then they had been out of sight.

That was a few hours ago and the friendly atmosphere above the Summer Glade had turned to a grey sky and mist that was so thick that they couldn't see what was going on a few meters in front of them. Daehyun shuddered, he didn't like this gloomy atmosphere, it made him feel suffocated but everyone else seemed to mind their own business. Himchan and Youngjae were inside, sleeping. Daehyun wished he could join them but the cabin wasn't big enough to fit more than 2 of them and the Winter fairies had been the first ones to use it because the glaring sun on the open sea with nothing to give them shelter had been too much for them.

Daehyun sighed. Yongguk was sitting on the edge of the ship, his legs hanging down on the other side. Junhong was beside him, leaning his silver hair on Yongguk's shoulder. Jongup was with the sailor fairies, engaged in an energetic conversation. Nobody had told them how long the journey would take but if this was what they were heading to, Daehyun wasn't sure if he would be happy. No matter the season, the air had always been crisp and clear and even the Winter Woods seemed bright with the light reflecting from the ice and snow.

Daehyun flinched and almost fell off the bench he was sitting on with his legs crossed when a cold pair of hands touched his shoulders. He was just able to catch himself before he really fell over and turned his head to find Youngjae behind him, chuckling. In the matter of a split second, Daehyun's face brightened and the air didn't feel so cold anymore either. Youngjae was holding one of his white woolly sweaters out for Daehyun to wear and Daehyun lowered his head to allow the other to pull it over his head. The snow fairy must have seen the gloomy weather from the inside and decided to bring something warmer to wear for the Summer fairy, Youngjae was considerate like that and Daehyun loved him for it.

With Youngjae by his side, he felt at ease.


 

The change of weather came so sudden that they gasped in surprise when they broke out of the thick mist that surrounded them into the warm light of the sun, shining in a bright golden yellow and orange. Clear air that smelled like the fresh sea replaced the foggy darkness and even the water wasn't dark and grey anymore but a bright turquoise and so clean that they could see the fishes swimming underneath them.

“Wow,” Youngjae whispered as they walked to the edge of the boat to take a look at their new surroundings. It was as if they were in a whole new world, Daehyun felt the sunlight recharging him immediately. Above them, they could hear Junhong's voice shouting cheerfully in the air and they looked up to find him flying quick circles around the mast, his green trail of sparkles following him.

“We will be there soon,” shouted one of the three sailor fairies, a girl with long golden hair tied to a ponytail. And when they turned their heads to the direction where their boat was heading to, they could really see land in the far distance.

All of them cheered, Junhong and Jongup made a little dance, twirling around so quick that the others made a few steps backwards, scared that they would bump into them. Daehyun took off Youngjae's sweater, he didn't need it anymore. He flapped his wings a little, enjoying the fresh breeze on them, they had been told not to fly in the mist because it could damage their wings, which was probably why they had taken the ship instead of flying in the first place.

Nervousness and excitement started to bubble inside the adventurers, it wouldn't be long until they would see their new homes, meet new friends and start their new lives. Everything was so exciting, Daehyun couldn't wait to explore their new home, befriend all the animals and finding out what kind of flowers were growing on the island. Since the weather was bright and clear, Daehyun assumed it was summer at the moment.

As they came closer to the island, they found long rows of wooden lodges, all of them connected by a walkway that lead to the beach and connected them to the island. The lodges had roofs made of straw and Daehyun hoped they would be living in these houses too. White sand stretched all along the beach that was decorated with palm trees with large green crowns.

It seemed like all fairies who lived on the island were waiting for them at the shore, ready to greet the new fairies who would be living with them. The six fairies were nervously waiting for the ship to stop with their hands entangled tightly. Himchan gave Jongup's hand a reassuring squeeze and Junhong flapped his wings excitedly. When the boat stopped and they gathered their belongings and landed on the beach, all the fairies clapped in unison and some of them cheered loudly for them.

“Welcome home,” said a lady with large golden wings and a friendly motherly face. She reminded Daehyun of Mother Sol and the resemblance made him feel at ease.

“Hello,” Daehyun mumbles bashfully, his voice much quieter than usual and the other's joined him with shy greetings. The other fairies crowded around them and excited chattering surrounded them as the others put colourful necklaces made of flowers over their heads. Completely overwhelmed, they were barely able to register the coconuts with straws sticking out they were handed before the whole crowd accompanied them off the beach.

They walked in the warm sand through something that seemed like a little forest made of exotic trees and palm trees, the sunlight around them got swallowed by the crowns until the fairy's sparkles was the only light left. On their way, the other fairies asked them questions, were they were from, what their fairy talents were and started introducing themselves in return. It didn't take long though until the forest abruptly stopped and they found themselves standing in front of a huge waterfall that was sparkling so brightly that Himchan had to cover his eyes for a moment.

It took them a moment to realize that it wasn't water but something silver gathering in a large lake at the bottom of the waterfall. At the first look it could have been mistaken as a lake full of ice crystals but it was the excited 'wow' coming from Junhong's lips before he dropped his coconut and dashed to jump into the lake that made the other's realize that this was the spring of the island's pixie dust.

Mother Amor, the fairy with the large golden wings who had been the first one to welcome them gave Jongup a friendly pat on his back and gestured for them to follow Junhong into the lake. The pixie dust felt different than all the others they had tried before, it felt more powerful and so much better. Now that they saw the dust from up close they could see that it was sparkling in every colour that existed. A few of the other fairies joined them and they played around for while until they got used to the new feeling.

After they got out of the lake, they were shown their new houses. Daehyun cheered the loudest when they indeed would live in one of those houses they had seen in the sea. It would be getting dark soon and they had had a long day so Mother Amor told them to rest before they would be introduced to their new work places the next day. Daehyun's and Youngjae's house was the last one in the row, with Himchan's and Jongup's house next to theirs and Yongguk's and Junhong's house next to theirs.

At the first glance, it seemed intimidating to be surrounded by water completely, there were stairs leading down into the water and a walkway all around it. Inside, all houses looked similar. There was a bed, soft looking with fluffy pillows and blankets, big enough to fit 3 of them comfortably. On two sides were large windows, letting in a lot of light and opposite of the bed was a little table with 2 chairs. A door led into a bathroom with a bathtub that looked like the one in Youngjae's old house, just that it was a little larger, everything looked cosy and they already felt at home. The only difference between their houses was a large painting that spread across a whole wall in each house.

Youngjae and Daehyun had the picture of a sun and a snowflake melting together on their wall. In Jongup's and Himchan's house, it was light falling through an ice crystal, splitting the light into a beautiful rainbow. Yongguk's and Junhong's painting was by far the biggest, showing falling leaves in the wind with blossoms from the Spring Valley and withering leaves from the Autumn Forest, it was colourful and beautiful

They decided to spend the first night together in Daehyun's and Youngjae's house. With all blankets and pillows laid out on the floor, they had a lot of space to spread out. From the window, they could see the round moon smiling at them. It was a quiet and peaceful night with just a few fireflies passing by every now and then.

“I really like it here,” Junhong mumbled. He had his head leaned on Yongguk's knee and balanced his pillow that he had sprinkled with his pixie dust in the air. Junhong was eager to test the magic of their new dust. He balanced the pillow and made it drop into Daehyun's face. Daehyun jumped up, he had been drifting off to sleep since a while, the other's laughed at him. Daehyun never had difficulties to fall asleep, he would close his eyes and be in dreamland in now time.

Youngjae smiled when he thought back at their first memories together, when Daehyun had chased after him in the winter woods, falling square on his on the frozen lake. Not knowing what else to do, Youngjae had taken the Summer fairy back to his house where he had left him when he attended dinner just to find Daehyun peacefully asleep on his bed. It was a precious memo

Please log in to read the full chapter