Treasure

Serendipity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daehyun was nervous. He had promised Mother Sol to bring Youngjae the next time the winter fairy would enter the summer glade. They had talked about it at the lantern festival already and Youngjae had been optimistic unlike Daehyun, who's heart was filled with worries that they would not be able to see each other again.

After spending a lot of time at the autumn forest, the day had finally come and Youngjae visited him. Daehyun had gotten up earlier than usual, he hadn't been able to sleep peacefully anyway and after tossing and turning for hours, he had given up and threw the blanket to the side.

He waited patiently at the border to the winter woods, it was still dark on the other side so he knew that it would take a while for his beautiful snow angel to appear. On his palm sat a little duckling, picking on a few seeds, cheeping happily every time another dark brown seed disappeared in its beak. Daehyun had helped a duck mother to cross a river on his way to the border and they had decided to keep him company. Whilst mother duck was splashing in the water with three of her babies, the other three clung on Daehyun to get their bellies rubbed.

Two of the ducklings were to Daehyun's left side, picking on the seeds laying on the grass and he watched them eating with a fond expression on his face. They fought for a pumpkin seed for a moment and when one of them managed to snatch it away from the other, it stomped its feed quickly on the ground happily and Daehyun chuckled.

With it's fluffy feathers and strong expression of happiness, the duckling reminded Daehyun of Youngjae. Daehyun chuckled, he was sure the snow fairy would like the little duckling, even though Youngjae was generally cautious around birds of all kind.

Being sleepy from eating too much, one of the little ducklings snuggled into the warmth of Daehyun's palm whilst the other leaned its head on his thigh. The third one ran to its mother, quacking happily. Daehyun rubbed the head the baby duck in his palm and he could feel it relax and fall asleep and he closed his eyes as well.

When Daehyun opened his eyes again, he didn't know how much time had passed but on the side of the winter woods it was light. Right at the border was Youngjae, the usual charming smile on his face that made his cheeks round and full. It seemed that the snow fairy's voice was what had interrupted Daehyun's slumber. He had forgotten the duckling in his hand and almost dropped the yellow ball of fluff but its squeak alarmed him quick enough for him to prevent anything from happening.

Daehyun dusted off his pants and smiled apologetically as he approached the fairy on the other side, he didn't know how long Youngjae had been waiting already. But the other showed no sign of annoyance.

“Good morning,” Youngjae said cheerfully.

“I'm sorry. Have you been waiting for long?” Daehyun asked as he loosened the string of the bag that contained his pixie dust.

“Not that long,” Youngjae said as he lowered his head so Daehyun could sprinkle the golden dust onto his head. Daehyun knew it was a lie so he raised his eyebrow, Youngjae's cheeks turned a warm pink colour that contrasted on his pale skin.

“You looked so peaceful sleeping, I couldn't bring myself to wake you,” Youngjae finally admitted and grinned.

The duck family looked curiously at the new fairy and the duckling that had slept in Daehyun's palm waddled towards them, quacking happily. Daehyun scooped it up to introduce it to Youngjae.

“Have you made another friend?” Youngjae asked as he rubbed the ducklings head, his eyes sparkling with happiness. Daehyun smiled bashfully as he nodded.

After Daehyun had introduced Youngjae to all the ducks, they made their way to Daehyun's house. They had known each other for months but Youngjae had never seen Daehyun's house before and it was time to change it. Later during the day they would have to meet mother Sol but until then, Daehyun had a lot of plans for the winter fairy.

They stopped in front of the house and Youngjae stood there for a moment with his mouth open. Daehyun's house was a little wooden lodge with a high roof that was completely covered with grass. The door frame and the round window frames were decorated with white and pink flowers and overall, it just looked wonderful.

Youngjae looked around to look at the other houses that were there, the scenery looked even more beautiful than in all the books Youngjae had read. He felt as if he had stepped into a paradise.

“Let's go in before someone finds you,” Daehyun said. He felt relieved and happy that Youngjae liked it so much, it made Daehyun's heart fill with an indescribable warmth.

Once inside, Youngjae was even more amazed than he had been before. He couldn't see it from the outside but one side of the roof contained another large window letting in a lot of sunlight. It was directly over Daehyun's bed that looked like a fluffy cloud. Youngjae didn't hesitate to throw himself onto the soft sheets and giggled when his cheek touched the smooth surface.

“This is awesome,” Youngjae mumbled, his voice stifled by the pillow.

Daehyun smiled as he watched Youngjae roll around in his bed, his heart filling with happiness that the other felt so comfortable in his home. He sat down on the mattress and started rubbing Youngjae's back gently. Youngjae turned his head to look at the summer fairy, his lips were stretched to a content smile.

“I like it here,” he said quietly. “Everything smells like Daehyunnie.” Daehyun's heart skipped a beat and he had to bite on his bottom lip to stop the widest grin that threatened to overtake his whole face. But he felt the tips of his ears burning and he was sure that his face would be of a matching pink colour. Youngjae started laughing and Daehyun felt utterly embarrassed. He tried to hide his face in his palms but the snow fairy reached out for the other's wrist to take a look at his face.

“Come here,” Youngjae said and patted the free space next to him. Daehyun didn't know why he felt so awkward as he lied down, facing the winter fairy. They had shared a bed before many times but this time it felt somehow different.

Youngjae inched closer to Daehyun and nuzzled his face into Daehyun's chest. Daehyun ran his hand through the soft strands of Youngjae's hair, he always did this when they were cuddling. It didn't take long for Youngjae to drift away and fall into a peaceful sleep. His breathing had become slower and his arm had found its way around Daehyun's waist.

Daehyun remembered the first time he had spoken to Youngjae, he had been coming back to the winter woods again and again to watch the snow fairy from afar but one day he had been found out after he landed with his on the ice in a very ungraceful way. The winter fairy had immediately known that Daehyun was not a winter fairy and upon notice of the summer fairy's cold state, Youngjae had taken him in.

That had been the first night they spent together and Daehyun wondered if Youngjae had watched him in his sleep the same w

Please log in to read the full chapter