Chapter 24

Unhoped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Will you go out with me?”

My heart is about to pop right out of my chest and my whole body is trembling I’m not sure if it’s more to excitement or nervousness. I composed myself and tried to remain calm. It wasn’t easy though. I think the tint of red on my cheeks already showcased my feelings.

Of all the questions he could ask, he picked the one that I was least expecting.

It’s unexpected but that doesn’t mean I don’t know the answer. In fact, it was an easy question. But I think even the easiest questions can be answered wrong if you don’t think about it a little. And a little bit of doubt could make you confuse in choosing the right answer.

I looked at him, trying to read his expression. “Are you serious right now?”

I think my question came off a little too serious. His face started to get flustered. He stood up from where he was sitting and sat beside me on the bed. “You think I’m joking?”

“Because… Your question doesn’t seem genuine.” He scoffed. “Look, how can I believe that you wanted to go out with me if you’re not asking the right questions?”

“What do you mean right questions? I already know the answer to all the questions you might come up with.” That irked me a little.

“Oh yeah? Is that why you’re being conceited? Because you know me so well, and I’ve got nothing to hide?”

“Hey…I didn’t say that.”

“You know, to me right now, since you know what I feel about, it’s automatic for you to assume that I would just say yes. Are you playing with me right now? Does my feelings even matter to you?”

“Taeyeon… How could you say that?” He reached for my hand and held it tightly.

“Tiffany told me that you already know how I feel. Is that the reason you’re asking me out? Because you know my feelings? You seem confident that I would say yes.” A glimmer of hope shines in his eyes. His smile got brighter. I was feeling nervous though.

“So, you’re going to say yes?”

I close my eyes and took a deep breath before looking back at him. “Baekhyun, you’re not listening to what I’m trying to say. You’re making me nervous. Uneasy. Because you seem so casual about it. I’m very insecure about your feelings for me. And I’m scared that you’re only doing this because you know how I feel about you. Do you understand?”

His eyes softened as he stared into mine. My heart immediately reacted to how gentle he looked. He took my hand and placed it in his chest. He held it there until I can finally focus and feel his beating heart. It was thumping very fast and very strong. Just like mine. And as I feel more of his heartbeat, I think my own syncs with his.

“I told you that you’re the one who can calm me, right?” I nodded. “But you’re also the only one who can make my heart go crazy like this. I’m far from being casual about this. Just waiting for your answer feels like I’m going to pass out. You make it hard to breathe sometimes, you know that?”

I can feel heat coming in my face. I feel the same way. Baekhyun make it hard to catch my breath.

“And you’re not the only one feeling insecure. I do too. I thought that I would always be a reflection of someone else in your eyes.” He dropped our hands on his lap. “But then you said it. You said you’re in love with me. But were crying. You said it like it was a burden. Do you know how hurt I felt after that? How scared I am that my feelings for you would hurt you more?”

Tears started to blur my vision. I wiped them with my free hand before it fell. I’m the one who hurt Baekhyun, I shouldn’t be crying.

“Tiffany said that you were only sleep-talking, and that I shouldn’t take what you said seriously. I tried to not take it to heart. So that night, I tossed and turn at my bed. Thinking that everything was nothing. But I was happy by your confession even though you were sleeping, then I would get sad because you were crying a lot, and then happy again, and then sad and then happy.” He smiled. “You make me crazy.”

I can’t help but mirror his smile. As I look at Baekhyun’s smile, I can feel the doubts vanishing little by little. He suddenly became the person that I want to depend on. That I want to trust.

“Baekhyun.” My heart, my mind, my hand, damn it, my whole body is racing, but I have to asked it. To finally ease myself from any doubts. If he’s not going to ask the right question, then I have to do it myself.

“Do you love me?”

He was taken aback by my seriousness as I stare to his eyes. He took a deep breath and then smile playfully. My racing heart waited in anticipation. “Do you really need to ask? Isn’t it obvious?”

Blood came rushing to my face, but I still tried to control emotions. “I want to hear it.” I smiled as I peeked under my lashes.

This time, it’s his turn to blush. I controlled my hands to his reddening cheeks. He took another deep breath and close his eyes for a second before staring back at me.

“I thought my life was perfect. That I was perfect. I could get anything I want, and I don’t care about the consequences of my actions. I was satisfied with how I live my life…” He took my hand my other hand and held it together. “That is until I met you.”

My heart continues to rampage on my chest. Baekhyun’s eyes is full of sincerity.

“You make me see things in different light. You make me want to be a better person. You make me cherish my family more. You make me think about the future.”

My eyes are starting to blur once more. I can feel th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter