Chapter 23

Unhoped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Guys, this is really awkward.” Chanyeol said after a moment of total silence. We are walking in the hallway heading to the gymnasium.

I couldn’t agree more. But since Chanyeol pointed it out I think it just became more awkward. My face is definitely burning. My heart still hasn’t settled down. Baekhyun was walking in front of us so I couldn’t see his expression.

Moments ago, Chanyeol just burst in the door of the rooftop and caught Baekhyun and I entangled with one another. Baekhyun’s hands were on my waist and I had my hands wrapped around his head.  I still couldn’t believe that just happened.

Baekhyun and I kissed. And not just any kiss. A very deep and passionate kiss.

“Aren’t you going to say something?” Chanyeol nudge me in the shoulder.

“What do you want me to say?”

“Are you guys going out?”

“No.” I said with a heavy heart. No matter what Chanyeol had seen, Baekhyun and I are not officially going out. We were just in the moment then. Like nothing else matters. At least, that’s how I felt. And I’m so stupid to let the opportunity pass without telling him my feelings. But then again, he knows that I’m in love with him. Did he do that because he knows? And what about him? I’m not sure how he feels about me.

“Then what was that about? Casual? Fling?” His toothy grin was flashed on my face.

“I don’t know.”

“Do you like Baekhyun?”

 “Chanyeol, would you shut up?” Baekhyun stopped and turned around.

“What?” Chanyeol raised his hands up in defense.

Baekhyun looked at him before his eyes trailed over to me. I can feel my heartbeat quickening.

“You don’t need to answer that.” He said as he took my hand and pulled me to his side. I don’t know how my heart can take all the erratic beating. He has that teasing smile again. I think I finally know what it meant. I-already-know-how-you-feel-about-me smile.

This jerk.

He’s like playing with me, testing me, teasing me, making me feel nervous. I know I should hate him for it, but it’s the opposite. I kind of love how he makes me feel. Deep down, the nervousness I feel around him is mixed with excitement and anticipation.

I smiled as I look down at our intertwined hands.

 

We reached the backstage of the gymnasium with time to spare before our turn. Our homeroom teacher scolded us nonstop for being almost late. I didn’t know what excuse I would say. I didn’t want to lie. Luckily, Baekhyun said that he still needed a little practice because it’s his first time singing in front of everyone and he’s singing it in a foreign language. So, the teacher took sympathy on his puppy dog face and let us off the hook.

 

I think Baekhyun’s nerves finally kicks in as we wait for the end of the performance of the class before us. He is fidgeting beside me. His foot is tapping rapidly and he’s nibbling his thumb. I really feel bad for him but at the same time he looks really adorable. I’m having second thought about comforting him just because I like seeing this side of him.

“Baekhyun.” I said, as I stood closer to him. I brushed the back of my hand slightly to his. That immediately stop his trance. I can see crimson slowly tinting his pale skin. I smiled coyly and looked up to him under my lashes. “Breathe.”

He chuckled. “That’s your advice?” He did take a deep breath though.

I did the same. Because I was feeling nervous too, but to an entirely different reason. “Because it works.”

“Really?” He raised a brow. The corner of his lips lifting as well. He leaned closer to my ear and whispered. “I think this works much better.” I felt his fingers lace to mine. I forgot how to breathe for a second.

I didn’t realize that it was our turn until I felt Baekhyun guided me by the hand towards the center of the stage. I looked at him and he suddenly looked more confident.

“Just seeing your face and your smile and hearing you laugh… it calms me.”

“Just like magic.”

So that was true. I have that effect on him. I can’t help but smile at the hopeful thought.

A loud roaring of cheers erupted in the gymnasium. I can hear many girls calling Baekhyun’s name, but his eyes were glued to me. Just like how his hand are. Now, I’m starting to be really nervous.

The music started.

 

I finally found someone
Who knocks me off my feet
I finally found the one
Who makes me feel complete

Baekhyun started the song smooth. His pronunciation of the words is really clear. His voice is very raspy, y kind of way. The girls in the audience cheered louder. I’ve heard him sing this song before, but right now it has a different feeling to it since he’s staring into my eyes as he sings every word. I looked away to not stumble on my words.

It started over coffee
We started out as friends
It's funny how from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter