Entry 23

Diary of an Innocent Girl's Lies

“I am SO exhausted.” I plopped myself down on the sand placing the huge stuffed multi colored unicorn beside me. “How are you even hanging in there?”

 

Kai plopped down beside me placing a huge stuffed Pikachu and the bag of food next to him. “Honestly, I’m not.”

 

We both laughed. So far the night has been pretty eventful: games, rides, foods…all the works. It was just like old times, before Suits came into the picture. To be honest, I actually missed this kind of time with Kai. I missed sitting with him and being able to speak about everything honestly, without holding back. But, now that I think about it, can I really tell him my Sehun problems? I thought about what Unnie said from before; that it may hurt him to watch me get “married” to Sehun…to bring Suits up first—

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Kai asked waving a hand in front of my face. I shook my head, realizing I was staring into the ocean for a bit too long. “The twins have been calling your name for a while…”

 

“Oh! Yeah!” I looked over to the twins who were building a sand castle. “Looking good there you two! Keep it up!” I even gave the reassuring thumbs up and the pair ree back.

 

“You’ve been like that quite a lot tonight” Kai pointed out as he brought the bag of food in front of the both of us. “Something bothering you?”

 

Uh-oh. Should I lie to him? Or should I tell him the truth? Last time I semi-lied to him he judged me and got punched in the face by Sehun. If I tell him the truth…

 

“Is it about—Sehun?” Kai asked without looking into my eyes. Instead he gave me a jumbo bag of my favorite chips with a water bottle. Oh, he asked…So it’s okay to bring it up to him right? The truth?

 

“Well, actually I was just thinking about this movie that I watched recently.” Okay, so the lies kind of come naturally out of my mouth. Maybe it was a defense mechanism, so I couldn’t emotionally hurt Kai.

 

“Oh? What movie?” He asked taking out his own bag of chips. 

 

“Some foreign movie. The ones where you have to read the subtitles and yeah.” Foreign movie? Really Soo Jung?

 

“Oh from what country?”

 

“Country? Uhhhh—that’s not important.” I turned to him fully to try and distract his attention. “The important thing is that I have been thinking about the ‘idea’ of the movie.”

 

“Which is what’s been keeping you so distracted?” Kai nodded his head understanding what was going on while munching on a chip.

 

I put a few chips in my mouth. Should I REALLY be telling him this? Like, I already dug this deep, shouldn’t I find a way out? Honestly, everything that will be coming out from my mouth will just sound like nonsense...Is it even worth it to continue on with such lies?

 

“The movie revolves around a girl and a boy.” Oh awesome Soo Jung, let your mind do all the talking even if your heart is screaming for your mouth to stop. “The boy and the girl is in some fake agreed relationship.”

 

“Uh-huh…” Kai slowly shook his head as if he knew that this was about Sehun and I. Would he play along or—“So what’s the problem between the two?” Okay so maybe he has tagged along for the lie…

 

“Well, throughout the whole movie the girl is confused on whether the guy likes her or not.” I started rattling my hand inside the chip bag in order to keep Kai from hearing what I was saying. Not a good distraction, but the only one I can think of right now. “Like, the girl isn’t confused on whether she likes him or not. Because, well, she does to an extent. And for a while she thought that the guy liked her too. But, then he keeps sending mixed signals making HER confused which is causing her not to like him and basically—“

 

Kai placed a hand around my arm, startling me enough to stop the random rattling. “So basically what you’re saying is…You don’t know if Sehun really likes you or just likes you because he needs you so the plan can succeed.”

 

I paused. How did he—“Did I say that? Like, out loud? While I was staring out into space?” I grabbed a handful of chips and stuffed the whole into my mouth. Okay, he knows now… What a nice guy for following along with my lie, huh?

 

Kai removed his arm away from mine. “Soo Jung. Pabo.” He knocked my head with a knuckle playfully. “Why couldn’t you just tell me straight out that you were talking about Sehun, huh?”



I shrugged. “I-I didn’t want to hurt you that’s all. I mean, its hard enough to see me with another man already and now getting married to one—“

 

“You mean ‘married’.” Kai put up little bunny fingers next to his head doing the action. I smiled. Of course he would pull an aegyo on me during a serious time like this…

 

“Okay, yes ‘married’.” I followed his action around the word. “Really though. I—“

 

“Do you want to know why I came?” He asked slowly pulling the bag of chips away from me so I could no longer be distracted. I made a pouty face as I saw him put away my food. “I came because…well I wanted to know that too.”

 

My pouty face immediately disappeared. Wait, what? “What did you want to know?”

 

Kai sighed. The words coming out of his mouth seemed like it was a bit harder to say, than me making up my ‘movie’ lie. “I wanted to know if Sehun really feels the same way, that I feel about you. Or if he was playing around with your heart so the bastard could get his end of the deal and other things too…” Kai gave me a scan and my mouth dropped open.

 

“YAH! I am NOT giving him my virgi—“ My mouth was immediately covered by Kai’s hand. You know, I wouldn’t mind this much if his hand didn’t taste like sand and chips.

 

“Shhhhh! There are children on the premises.” Kai nodded his head towards the twins who were now purposely destroying their sand castle. He removed his hand from my mouth. “Look, sorry, it was I jumped to conclusions. Again, sorry.”

 

By the way Kai was looking, I kind of felt sorry for him. I knew where he was coming for now, and not because he was the jealous “boyfriend” act right now. No. Right now he was trying to be a good friend, as if Amber was here instead of him. (Which reminds me, I MUST tell Soo Yeon and Amber what happened today and these thoughts as well.)

 

“So then, I mean, what do YOU think?” I asked now distracting myself by drawing random lines in the sand. “Do you think that…Sehun likes me, likes me?”

 

Kai didn’t say anything for a while. Was he trying to make up a lie? Or was he figuring out how to say the truth to either hurt my feelings or to protect himself to say?

 

“From a man’s point of view, I think he does like you.” Kai began drawing in the sand as well to keep his eye contact away from me. “To the degree that I like you though? Well…that’s really something only YOU would know.” He looked up at me after drawing what looked like a cracked heart in the sand. “And if YOU really want that kind of degree of ‘like’ to happen, you know?” He started wiping his hands to take off the sand. “Well, yes you do like him…But, the question is—do you like him for him? Or is it because of just—well—‘him’?”

 

“Basically you’re saying that I may only like him, so its easier on the both of us to follow with this lie?” It was all coming to me now. What if all along I was tricking myself into thinking that he likes me because of THAT reason, when I could be USING him as well. I mean, I have only talked about his physical attributes. What were his qualities that make him human? Other than that one night of telling me his past, that punch he gave to Kai to defend me, and asking me trust him… Did I like him enough to say that I really ‘liked’ him? As in…picture myself with him?

 

“So that movie you were talking about earlier…” Kai gave a crooked smile. Ah, so he was trying to divert away from the seriousness now, huh? He never liked me with a sad look… “What were you planning to name it if I had continued on with your little lie, huh?”

 

I decided that I would ponder over the thought of Sehun and I later; placing a finger on my chin I tapped it in rhythm while looking up at the starry night sky. “Well…” I snapped my finger and pointed it at him. “The—The—“

 

“The what?” He asked watching me intently trying not to crack a huge smile. Was it amusing for him to watch me struggle?

 

“The Diary of an Innocent Girl’s Lies.” I patted myself proudly on the back.

 

Sounds like a hit doesn’t it?