Choices

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 8: Xiumin and Luhan heard of Plan B but the details were vague. Dara met with CL and Minzy at Bom’s condominium to talk about their latest activities. She invited them to come with her to Busan but they declined. Min Ho called her to say there cannot be a next date. Plan B: Xiumin should date. He admitted to Luhan that he is interested in Dara.

 


Dara leans back on the seat after putting her travel bag (back pack) on the luggage compartment above and her tote bag on her lap. The train will leave in ten minutes. Luckily, she got to choose the seat next to the window and her seatmate, a middle-aged woman, is already busily scrolling on her mobile phone. 


It's not her first time to ride the KTX to Busan so she can say she's already become an expert when it comes to covering up her identity. Wearing her usual ensemble: simple t-shirt, cap, sunglasses, jeans and running shoes, it is effortless for her to be able to blend in the crowd at the train station. As usual, she can't discard her sunglasses and cap---it's a necessity and a burden.


That day at Bom's condominium, she told her friends that she might be gone for a month to take on granddaughter duties. Well not exactly; she will be helping in managing the small inn, which is a shared venture; she shares it with her grandmother. She considered that not only work but a break as well from the city. After CL and Minzy left, she decided to stay for a while. She purchased her ticket online. During near summer season, it’s usually hard to get a ticket, but she's a week early. Tourists and locals will surely flock to the train station in three weeks time.

 

She's not even certain her mother will approve of her plan to go to Busan and stay there for a month or even more. She's too excited about the idea of going to a new environment---the beach and the scenery---so she bought the ticket immediately because she really could use the change in environment.
 

Her seatmate wriggled, breaking her train of thoughts. She sighs while glancing out the window, a feeling of loneliness envelopes her. It's regrettable that she can't be with her friends. They had been to her grandmother's house before but only for a few days. Next time, they'll have to plan it ahead.
 

She recalls how hard it is to convince her mother that she needs a vacation after the 'dating news.'  At first, her mother was reluctant to let her go. But when she brought up the undeniable need of her grandmother for help, her mother finally conceded---but with the condition that Dara should call once in a while.

 

She wanted to remark that she’s not going to Busan to look for a boyfriend; but decided to keep quiet instead. She didn’t want another discussion to result from her not being able to shut . She also told her mother that Min Ho already called and gave the following reasons why the supposed relationship cannot go to another level:

1. Min Ho wasn’t interested to have a girlfriend at the moment: where he is 'busy' with a big case;

2. Dara didn’t fit his ideal type. (She wasn't offended, like when Min Ho admitted he's not into girl groups. She'd love to know what his ideal type was but she thought that there was really no use).
 

When the photos and article came out, she’s positive that Chen and Xiumin had nothing to do with it. She believed in their promise. She blamed herself; she should have been more careful or maybe she never should have expected that she’d have some privacy in such a public place. It turned out she and Min Ho was photographed outside of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. In the photo, their hands looked somewhat intertwined---that’s due to a handshake both of them had been willing to give on their first meeting.
 

Two weeks since the article and still it's a hot topic; debatable as well. Whatever her and Min Ho's relationship was, the netizens were obviously in a spree to give their comments, assumptions and whatnot.

 

Before leaving for Busan, she went to YG building to talk to sajangnim about it. Upon entering his office, the CEO immediately congratulated her, but Dara admitted it was a one-time date only.

 

She thought of him as a father figure so she told him what happened from the beginning---from when her mother arranged the meet-up to the reason why Min Ho and her relationship cannot progress. After revealing as well that she’ll be gone for a month, she excused herself and called Min Ho to ask his consent if it's okay to reveal his identity. She also told him about the write-up's contents. He agreed. That same day, a statement was posted in the YG news site regarding it: admitting it is nothing but a 'friendly date' with a former schoolmate and lawyer working for a well-known law firm (no need to specify that their acquaintance was during kindergarten days). 
 

The announcement coming from the intercom breaks Dara’s recollection. The train will be leaving in a few minutes, she fidgets in her seat trying to find a more comfortable position; her tote bag which contains some clothes, toiletries and laptop, is kind of heavy but she can't risk putting it on the floor. She only brought a few clothes since she has some in her grandmother's house. Indeed, after the rain (date with Min Ho), there's always a rainbow (vacation at Busan). She’s excited to see her halmeoni.
 

The timing is right; her grandmother needs extra help in the small inn---small because there are only five rooms for guests. The house is located few miles from Haeundae Beach---less than ten minutes drive. This time of the year, there are a couple of visitors that seeks accommodation, thus the need for extra help, especially when one of the employees tendered resignation effective immediately. What’s lovely about the place, besides it being near the beach, is the café that serves her grandmother’s delicious homemade cakes and pastries. The café is connected to the house; her grandmother’s another shared venture with an old friend.
 

She can hardly wait to eat as many slices of cakes and pastries she can get her hands on. She smiles inwardly and looks out the window again, while the train finally takes its departure.

 

The travel between Seoul and Busan ‘passes through pleasant green farmland and forested hills, with some mountains.’ Dara sees the familiar ‘farming villages, rice paddies, people working in the fields and glimpses of towns along the tracks.’(1)

 

Finally, after less than three hours, Dara sets her feet in the Busan station. It’s only the first week of June but she can see a lot of people, probably heading to the beach, a well-known destination every summer. Once outside, she stops for a minute while looking around, breathes in the fresh air and takes note of the nice weather.

 

 

Dara steps out of the cab after paying the ahjussi what’s due plus a tip for driving safely. She opens the gate with her key and breathes in the familiar smell of blooming flowers in the garden a few meters away, remembering how she used to play there and plant flowers during childhood days. She treads at the stone path that leads to the driveway, not very far. She plans to surprise her grandmother so she didn’t tell her she’d be arriving today.

 

Upon reaching the porch, she carefully opens the front door and takes a peek at the spacious living room to the right; it’s big enough to serve as a waiting area for guests. She signals for Jisoo, the receptionist/bookkeeper, to keep silent about her arrival because it looks like she’s about to scream Dara's name.

 

She enters quietly and puts down her bags on the chair near the stairs. It’s only ten o’clock, and knowing her grandmother, she prefers brunch instead of breakfast. Sure enough, the old lady, as petite as Dara, is sitting by the kitchen counter, book in hand, untouched French toast and coffee in the table.

 

“Halmeoni!” She yelps causing her grandmother to grimace a little. “Omo!” The old lady abruptly turns in surprise, not expecting to see her granddaughter who’s now giving her a warm hug. “I didn’t know you were coming today.” She pats Dara’s back, realizing she looks thinner than the last time she saw her.

 

“I wanted to surprise you,” she giggles while pulling a chair and sits on it.

 

“How’s your trip?”

 

“It’s relaxing. And as always, the scenery is food for the eyes.”

 

“What’s this I hear from Cheondoong that you are dating because your mother wants you to?” Her eyebrows crease in concern.

 

“Ack! He told you? That brat! I was supposed to be the one to tell you…” she pouts, feeling betrayed.

 

Dara begins to tell her grandmother everything that transpires: from the time she was informed of the set-up date to the call she received from Min Ho-ssi.

 

“I bet he’s not even your type.” Her grandmother says, and with teasing eyes, adds, “you like younger men.”

 

Dara nods several times in confirmation, smiling.

 

“Aigo. So who are you going to date next?”

 

Dara shrugs her shoulders, not wanting to think of the fact that she needs to move soon before her mother does something against their agreement---which is to not set-up dates again and Dara must work on her dating/love life.

 

 

It’s a weekend and instead of going out, the members decide to stay in the dorm. It seems Xiumin’s problem calls for teamwork. That afternoon, he stands in the living room, on the receiving end of the member’s evil workings. They want him to answer some questions. When he saw their eager faces a few days ago, he never foresees THIS to happen. Is this what Luhan thinks of as a way to help?

 

Whoever came up with this activity has that undeniable purpose of making Xiumin do what he’d already decided to put off to a very later time. He doesn’t even want to think about it---for it gives him too much stress. But here they are, reminding him of it again.

 

These kids really. It makes him regret why he stayed home instead of going out to do whatever.

 

He already has suspects as to who is the person in charge or better yet, who are in charge: Chanyeol and Baekhyun---they are standing at the center of the living room, proud of the preparation. The other members are sitting comfortably, by fours on each long couch (near Chanyeol is D.O., Chen, Suho and Luhan. Across Luhan is Lay, then Sehun, Kai and Tao who’s near Baekhyun). In their faces, anticipation is evident.

 

There is an illustration board propped in the chair between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, covered by black cloth.

 

Xiumin throws a questioning gaze at Luhan, who looks back at him completely clueless.

 

“What’s the meaning of this?” he asks. His eyebrows may have gone up to his hairline in bewilderment.

 

“This will help you realize what you are specifically looking for in a girl,” Chanyeol reveals.

 

Ohs and Ahs resonate within the living room. All nine members are looking at Chanyeol. It’s like what he said is very thrilling to generate such response.

 

“Why?” He senses nothing good about this.

 

“So we can help you find the right girl,” Baekhyun finishes, as if that will calm Xiumin.

 

He feels his cheeks burn a little in awkwardness. He takes a deep breath then exhales. “But I’m not in a hurry,” he states flatly.

 

“But manager hyung said you must date,” Suho reminds him as if he forgot about that.

 

“I will. Later.” He takes the seat next to Luhan, feeling weak in the knees.

 

The members’ faces show disappointment at their hyung’s strong conviction. They are hoping to get a glimpse of his ‘ideal type.’

 

Sensing the overcast mood, Luhan takes Xiumin by the wrist. He leads him to the kitchen, far enough, to tell him, “Just do what they say. Have you seen how sad they look?”

 

“What if my answers seem obvious?” He can’t help voicing out his concern.

 

“Aish, don’t worry about that. Like what Chanyeol said, it’ll only help you find out WHAT you’re looking for, not WHO. Who knows, maybe this will help you forget about her, not unless you’ve already decided to pursue her,” Luhan says meaningfully.

 

“I think I might be on my way…” Xiumin admits, looking uncertain.

 

“You sure? Why don’t we just try this to make them happy?”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter