Interesting

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Two EXO members are having coffee past midnight despite coming from an event—opening of a restaurant owned by their manager— earlier that evening with the other members. Xiumin can’t pass up the craving for coffee and Luhan eagerly accompanies him to the cafe nearby. They are both wearing hoodies to avoid being recognized. Thankfully, only a few people are around that time, enabling them to drink in peace and enjoy the ambiance.

 

Once settled, Luhan casually brings up the subject about the girl groups he recently likes. Xiumin freezes half-way to drinking his Americano but immediately recovers and takes a sip. He looks across and waits for Luhan to continue while keeping a blank expression. He hopes said topic will not lead to 2NE1. Not again. With that in mind, he allows Luhan in his attempt of having something else to talk about besides soccer, coffee and schedules. That something else happens to be girl groups. 

 

As the conversation progresses, Xiumin realizes where it is leading to. The dangerous subject: ideal types. He should not have been surprised when Luhan asks about his ideal type in SNSD or f(x), both were their sunbaes.

 

Xiumin has always been reserved in his answers when it comes to naming his ideal type. He always felt there’s no need to give names because it kind of gives a 'restricting' sense. His ideal type has always been: 1. Someone who’s smiling brightly when looking at him; 2. Someone he could hug and someone who gives comfort to others; and 3. In terms of looks, he has no ideal type. If their personalities match well, then she’ll look pretty to him.

 

He simply recites this to Luhan, who probably knows it by heart.

 

“Very funny,” he mutters, dissatisfied at Xiumin’s point-blank and rehearsed answer.

 

Xiumin grows suspicious about his motives. He is at it again, trying to lure him into confessing. 

 

Obviously, Luhan is gathering information. He basically wants Xiumin to name his ideal type.

 

When will he give up?

 

As much as Xiumin is curious why the subject is brought up again, he is scared that if he asks, it might backfire and put him in the spotlight.

 

Luhan asks for what seemed like the nth time: “So, do you already have an ideal type in 2NE1?”

 

Xiumin looks at him blankly, after all, he’s good at it. But deep down, his mind is in turmoil---How? Why? What had happened that he must ask that again? 

 

It’s been several months when the subject was last brought up. The memory of when Luhan started asking questions comes rushing back to Xiumin.

 

Flashback

As they walk the street where their favorite shops line-up, Luhan asked Xiumin what he thought of 2NE1. The oldest didn’t show how it flustered him. It seemed to be an innocent question coming from an innocent-looking friend.

His answer was short and to the point: “They’re different.”

While Luhan pondered about the short answer, Xiumin couldn’t help but think back to a time when he might have been too obvious or careless.

Just when Luhan looked at him with interest, as though he wanted Xiumin to elaborate, it dawned on him what might have gone wrong.

Could this interrogation be due to what happened during SBS Gayo Daejun 2012? 

He hoped not.

At that time, it was only due to curiosity that Xiumin spared her a glimpse--- a subtle but curious glance. That's when it all began. What he thought would take only one glance turned into a habit. He couldn’t count how many times he looked at her whenever he got the chance.

He thought he had been careful enough but it turned out he was not. 

Apparently, Luhan noticed.

“That’s it? Don’t you like their songs, their style? Is it only me and Chanyeol who finds them as extraordinary artists?” he goes on keenly.

Xiumin looks sideways, wondering what’s up with the questions. “Are you a fan?”

“You are, I think," was his reply, completely evading the question.

That caught Xiumin off-guard. He chose to say nothing and simply wait.

“You’re not going to tell me anything, are you?” It dawned on Luhan what the lack of response meant.

“That’s right, because there’s nothing to tell.” Xiumin said to end the discussion.

Luhan scratched his chin, as though considering his next question to Xiumin’s dismay.

“Really huh? Then why did you check them out during SBS Gayo Daejun? Don’t deny it. I saw you.”

Xiumin let out a sigh and insisted, “As I already said, they are different.” He explained further, “that’s why I can’t help but look at them. Besides, that’s the first time we saw them personally. You and the others were looking at them too.”

Luhan looked at him searchingly. 

Xiumin stared back, unsmiling.

“If you say so,” Luhan seemed tired at how the conversation was going nowhere near his objective.

Xiumin was definitely relieved when he heard that statement. It was a clear signal that he’s saved, for now. He was able to evade the inquisition; nearly able. He didn’t try to get back at Luhan for evading the question with regard being 2NE1’s fan for fear of the questioning to begin again.

Subsequently, the safety was short-lived. Xiumin will not be able to dodge it. 

This time it was during MAMA 2013.

A few minutes after arriving at the dorm from said event, Luhan cornered him on his way to the bathroom and straightforwardly asked what it was all about: Why Xiumin suddenly changed seats after 2NE1 arrived at the seating area.

“What?” His eyes widened a fraction as he’s surprised by the inquiry. He never thought Luhan will catch on. Instead of admitting the truth---that he wanted to get a better view of 2NE1 without having to worry about seeing fancams of him on ‘gawking mode’ surfacing online---he said that he 'didn’t want to be on the front row where surely fans will be able to record his open-mouthed reactions to the performances.'

The truth is, it never bothered him at all to be caught on-cam. For the meantime, he hoped Luhan will accept his explanation, that it will pacify the curiosity with regard Xiumin's unusual actions.

“Really?” Luhan’s eyes glinted with mischief as if he didn’t believe the reason, not one bit. He was obviously dead set on having his observations confirmed that night.

Please log in to read the full chapter