Together

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

Recap CHAPTER 27

She looks at his bare hand, but takes it anyway after a few seconds of reluctance.

Cold hand against cold hand, they start to take a step away from the shed. And why does she get this strange feeling that holding his hand seems so natural.

He adjusts the hold by taking charge. It is a heart-stopping moment when suddenly, he does the move to make their hands entwined.

 

Cold hands soon turn warm.

 

Dara blushes at the way he holds her hand. Though the meaning of his action is unknown, what she's certain of at that very moment— she likes the feeling. Neither tight nor loose, his grasp is enough to make her feel as though he does not want to let her go.

 

It surprised her at first—took all her willpower not to squeal the instant he entwined his hand with hers. Strangely, she never felt the urge to pull her hand away.

 

Do friends do this? Her mind is busily making sense of what's happening to even ponder on the risk they are both taking. The 'dating scandal' survey reappears in her clouded mind. But she does not care at all. She feels like she's floating on a cloud. Pushing away the negative thoughts, she decides to simply enjoy the moment while it lasts. 

 

On another note, admittedly, she's worried about him finally doing the brave thing. What if their meetings come to an end? What if their constant exchange of text messages cease? Whatever the brave thing is, a dilemma is slowly forming in the back of her mind. She's slowly leaning towards the unthinkable. Will she dare tell him her feelings?

 

Forcefully, she brushes off those worries and instead basks in the feeling his warm hand provides. But the warmness soon diminishes when they reach the cab. What's left is the fluttering in her stomach and slight emptiness in heart.

 

As much as Xiumin prefers to continue holding her hand, he has no choice but to let go. She may find it weird if he doesn't. After all they are in the cab on their way to the station. He silently hopes no one will recognize them. The last thing he needs is for his plan to be jeopardized. He suddenly remembers the dating scandal survey and how it will be a great chaos when they are caught together.

 

Everything seems to run smoothly—from buying the tickets to getting inside the train unrecognized.

 

Once seated, they quietly observe their surroundings. They can't let their guard down so they opt not to take off their scarves despite the hoodies they are still wearing.

 

Dara feels like melting due to embarrassment for she is still hoping that Xiumin will hold her hand again. But why will he even try? They are safely seated. Her seat being near the window, she tries to distract herself further from her thoughts. She watches the passersby with animation especially those who walk in pairs, possibly lovers. While she envy them who seem carefree, she can't help but wonder when will she be able to do that. To openly show affection to the one she loves without worrying what kind of headlines will come out.

 

 

How their supposed to be spontaneous escapade turned into a chase and Dara doesn't know what to feel. 

 

Deep down, she's anxious for the both of them. What if this time, someone saw them together? 

 

When they arrived at the coffee shop, unfortunately, it was under renovation. She could tell how disappointed Xiumin must have felt. They walked the streets in search of another cafe and haven't gone far from the coffee shop when a group of people caught their attention. The said group of people are talking (over shot glasses of soju and beer) about the idols they possibly think are dating in secret.

 

If only she'd known that eavesdropping on other people's conversation, especially the soon-to-be drunk kind, will bring about bad karma, she could have stopped Xiumin when he pulled her hand and led her to the table behind the loud group. He was curious and she was too.

 

What she heard next almost made her hit the floor. 

 

"I wouldn't be surprised if Dara and Xiumin one day decide to start dating." That sounds like a joke. Actually, it was delivered in such a way. 

 

Nonetheless, it hit home. The two concerned began to feel uneasy. Their eyes met.

 

"They both got the number one spot in a survey."

 

That survey again. Why won't it leave her and Xiumin alone?

 

"I'd like to see the day when SM and YG talents unite in the name of love." This earned a round of laughter from the rest. Well, because, it came from a guy.

 

"I actually have a theory... What if—" this made Dara and Xiumin sit straight, straining to hear, "it was Dara noona who was with EXO? After all, according to the news, she was spotted at Busan the day after EXO returned to Seoul. I think that's suspicious."

 

Dara's and Xiumin's eyes widen simultaneously. They looked at each other in shock. Instead of walking away, they sat their not knowing what to do next. Who are these people? Are they members of the Dispatch team or other teams of the same kind?

 

"Ya! Stop reading too much fanfiction," came the high-pitched reply.

 

"Aigo. But think about it. Remember that radio broadcast that Xiumin and Chen's been to? They admitted that they've met Dara before. It's possible, right guys?" The girl sounded too sure of herself. 

 

That's why Dara started to feel nervous; as if something's about to happen.

 

And her instinct was right. Because minutes later, out of nowhere, someone called out her name. She could have pretended not to hear but her reflex made her automatically look at where that call came from.

 

Crap! Her face was half exposed carelessly. Based on the expression of those who saw her, she was recognized. They screamed in glee, calling out her name, and someone even loudly wondered who's the guy she's sitting close with. Dara panicked.

 

Xiumin was in his right mind to cover his face and pull Dara away from the place where chaos was inevitable. If she were alone or with her manager, she would have entertained the fans. But the thing is, she's with Xiumin. She couldn't risk it. She'll mind the consequences later. They need to hide and fast.

 

The street was slippery but they managed to make a run for it and when they saw an old pick-up, a prospect place to hide, they quickly got in the back and went under the tarp-like covering.

 

That's how she and Xiumin end up in the couple's house once again.

 

Not the kind of reunion she was hoping for. It's a relief that the couple remembers them. Once and for all, the idols took the chance to clear things up with regard their mistaken relationship.

 

The ahjumma openly shows her regret that they are not a couple for real. 

 

Xiumin and Dara could only laugh.

 

How they end up in the same place again is neither one of them expected to happen when all they wanted was to visit the cafe.

 

Even so, a part of her is glad that they're safe. And she would be together with him for the next couple of hours. And she would be able to openly stare at his back like what she's doing at the moment.

 

She wonders what it would feel like to press her cheek against his back. The thought randomly pops in her mind that she feels a fluttering in her heart.

 

Aigo. Her mind and wonderings tend to get crazier each passing minute. She closes her eyes for a few seconds, opens it and lets out a sigh. She adjusts her sleeping position to simply lying on her back. But before she can force herself to sleep, she hears him sigh, as though an answer to her own.

 

Is he still awake? Is he uncomfortable with their situation?

 

Meanwhile, as much as Xiumin wants to lie on his back, it unnerves him how she's only a few inches away. Too close he can almost feel the warmth coming from her. And the urge to hug her overcomes his sane mind little by little. He wants to bury his nose in her soft hair which smelled like watermelon and cucumber. This he found out when earlier they took off their hoodies so they can sleep comfortably.

 

If only he could, he'd probably slap his cheek so as to get rid of such thoughts. In fact, his arms are crossed over his chest for good measure. All he can do is let out a sigh when he heard her let out a breath.

 

Who would have thought that they will end up again in the couple's house? Some unrelenting, hawk-eyed fans chased them again. Good thing he was calm and had the presence of mind to escape unscathed. 

 

And just like what happened that night in June, they are back in the same room they slept in.

 

However, the situation was completely different from the last time. He couldn't decide which is more uncomfortable: the first time they had to sleep together or the second time, wherein the awkwardness between them is long gone— and so is the one foot space that used to separate them.

 

What changed? They are sharing a heated mattress pad. A mattress that is supposed to be for a single person. It's not as though they have any other choice. It's very cold and to make it even more awkward, there's only one thick blanket. 

 

Even though they've cleared things up with the hospitable couple regarding the real relationship (and it seemed the couple already knew they're famous idols and thereafter promised them that no one will know they where in their house together), having to share the sleeping area is off-putting. It was awkward but in a good way, if Xiumin were to be very honest. This memory, he will forever carry in his heart. He couldn't contain his happiness at the unfortunate outcome of his planned confession. Maybe such things are better left unplanned. 

 

Thus, Xiumin is still wide awake, undecided whether he should confess. It will possibly make matters more uncomfortable. His discomfort comes from the fact that his mind is busily thinking of the words he wants to say to her. What if he stutters or what if he couldn't find the right words to express how much he wants to be with her, how she makes him feel? Such worries bombard his frantic mind.

 

Besides that, he's worried that their situation is a burden to her.

 

 

Dara slowly opens her eyes, adjusting to the light. She couldn't remember what time exactly she dozed off. Probably, the thought of back-hugging him is still on her mind.

 

What woke her from her slumber is the weird feeling of being watched.

 

And she is right. Her heart almost stops when she finds his beautiful eyes staring at her solemnly.

 

She is now aware how the distance between them is too close she can definitely feel his warm minty breath graze her cheek. Moreover, she is lying on her side same way he does. Face to face, her sleepiness slowly fades when she realizes there's something strange in the way he is looking at her. It makes her wonder what's going on in that mind of his.

 

She closes her eyes for a few seconds and mentally counts to three. Maybe it's only a dream. But when she opens her eyes, he's still staring at her, unblinkingly.

 

"What's wrong?" she asks gently, a little scared that her speaking might ruin the strange yet beautiful moment.

 

"I want to apologize. If I didn't ask you to come with me, then maybe this never would have happened." 

 

She can tell how it burdens him. "Aigo. You couldn't slee

Please log in to read the full chapter