Friends

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 15: Dara sent her to-do list to Xiumin and asked if he’s done the brave thing. Finally back in Seoul, she decided to move in with Bom. Still offended by the comment, she did the unthinkable – go to the mall without concealing her identity.

 

 

The impact of collision does not hurt; they are both standing, rooted to the spot, a few feet away from each other.

 

Dara’s eyes widen slightly, her hand over to stop herself from mumbling who it is she thinks she bumped into. She’s not actually sure because of the sunglasses and mask but her gut feeling tells her he looks familiar. And then she notices the package on the floor and recognizes it instantly. She’s about to pick it up but he gets to it faster.

 

He catches a whiff of her sweet perfume---that’s how close she is standing, peering at him. What kind of excuse must he tell her? He ponders while holding out the package to her. She takes a step to him to accept the books, her eyes questioning him while she peers too intently.

 

“It’s me Dara noona.” He finally breaks the silence with a whisper, a little nervous about their surroundings. He’d like to tell her the reason why he has her books but there are a few people looking at them curiously.

 

A gasp escapes her lips. “Omo! That’s why you seem familiar.” She whispers this, aware of the people around them. And then her face breaks into a warm smile but it’s a quick one. Just when she’s feeling comfortable, she looks around nervously, remembering where they are.

 

He understands why she seems on edge. And before anyone else can identify him, he bids her goodbye---too quick interaction to his discontent, but it’s a good save as well. It is all just a coincidence but following her is his doing. Even if she asks what he’s doing there and why is her package in his possession, he can’t answer that not when there are people who might overhear.

 

She seems surprised at his quick departure but her attention is drawn towards the few people coming towards her. In her opinion, it’s better that he left; they’ll both be safe from the possible problem brought by running into each other publicly. But she regrets not at least saying something during the brief encounter. And he’s alone too, just like her. Glancing warily at his retreating back, she reminds herself to focus on the people around her instead.

 

 

Back at EXO’s dorm later in the afternoon, reporter Chanyeol strikes again.

 

“Guys! Guys! Guys!” His eyes shining with delight, excitement written all over his face, while he tries to sit in between Baekhyun and Suho on the couch.

 

Who wouldn’t be intrigued by his enthusiasm? All eyes dart at the rapper. They are all present except, well, for the one member who’s out doing whatever.

 

“What is it this time?” Baekhyun inquires in exasperation as if he’s tired of Chanyeol playing reporter, but it’s all an act---he’s curious. It can be another rumor. He turns the volume of the television down to hear what’s gotten his friend so excited. He has an idea of whom it might be about but simply keeps it to himself. He does not want to ruin his friend’s inclination for suspense.

 

“It’s Dara noona,” he begins, while looking at his covered Ipad.

 

The members exchange looks, probably thinking the same thing: He’s going back to being a Dara fanboy.

 

But anyway, the rapper never says he’s done with it. After all, he can have a girlfriend and still be a fanboy right? Still, the extent of his fanboying has to have some limitations at least.

 

“And why are you smiling like that?” D.O. asks.

 

“It’s creepy!” Chen comments.

 

“What about Dara noona?” Xiumin manages to ask bravely, his curiosity stirred. He hopes it has nothing to do with another ‘dating scandal.’

 

“It’s not a dating scandal.” Chanyeol seems to have read the hyung’s silent hope.

 

Xiumin steadily exhales the breath he’s been holding. No one seems to notice this since all are focused on Chanyeol.

 

“She’s spotted at a mall earlier today.” He uncovers the Ipad and shows them a high definition photo of Dara, in a dress and looking too beautiful.

 

“Oooh…”  “Wow…” Besides those, the members can only look intently at the photo. Some took their phones to search for it as it’s been trending since before lunch it seems.

 

“Wow, Dara noona is really beautiful.” Chen says dreamily, while Xiumin peers over his shoulder, silent, but nods in agreement.

 

“That hairstyle really suits her best,” Tao remarks, referring to the bun on top of her head. His eyes are glued on his phone, searching for the same photo. The members go back to their seats, busy tapping on their phones. Chanyeol covers the Ipad and uses his phone to search for more photos.

 

That hairdo reminds Xiumin of the night he was with her---he will never forget that. He is brought out of his trance when Lay comments, “Dara-sunbaenim looks really beautiful but why is she alone? Do you think she’s there to meet someone?”

 

“She’s alone but she did not meet with anyone. She bought a jumping rope, some furniture, went to a bookstore, then a café, bought clothes, and then…” Chanyeol trails off when he sees another photo added to the batch of photos. “She had her hair cut and had it dyed,” he says this calmly but deep inside, his admiration is growing by the second. Why not? Dara noona’s new hairstyle brings back memories of when he still fanboys over her so fervently.

 

“Mwo?!” The members do not know what site Chanyeol is currently looking at so they take a peek at the rapper's phone, trying to get a glimpse of the new haircut.

 

“What is that, a live streaming of Dara-sunbaenim’s activities?” Kai, who does not bother standing from his seat, laughs at Chanyeol’s account of events; it’s as though he’s been there on the scene.

 

“It’s a fansite for Dara noona, filled with fan accounts and it’s updated regularly,” he says not taking his eyes off the photo, ignoring Kai’s teasing.

 

Meanwhile, the two maknaes seem to have a world of their own. It’s because Tao knows what site it is; they’re already busy looking at other photos and reading comments.

 

Then Tao remarks, addressing Xiumin. “Umin-hyung, Dara noona must have bought a full-length mirror and dresser since she moved in with Bom noona yesterday.”

 

Chanyeol feels left out after hearing this information. “Jinjja? They’re roommates now?”

 

Xiumin answers Chanyeol’s question by talking about the other night---that he asked Dara noona through text message when could be a possible time to meet, how she said she’ll let him know because at that moment she was busy with packing, and then moving in with Bom the next day.

 

 

Dara’s ‘day out at the mall’ trends in various social networks. It seems the netizens are missing 2NE1’s SNS queen too much. They thirst for anything about her. And the photos that went viral, it is an understatement to say it’s satisfied the fan’s yearning for 2NE1’s visual.

 

Before the change in hairstyle, a lot commented on her youthful look, bringing up that her birthday is only more than four months away, and yet her real age is not showing.

>>> She’s looking more and more beautiful...

>>> Could it be that she’s in love? She’s glowing.

>>> Pretty unnie please tell us what your secret is.

>>> A goddess indeed O_O

>>> Unnie, please wear dresses more.  ^_^

>>> I love her style, it’s very chic ^^v

 

Even the change in hairstyle is positively received by netizens.

>> Dara unnie’s new haircut is daebak~ she looks more youthful.

>> She’s glowing~ could it be that she’s seeing someone already?

>> Stunning as always   O.O

>> Omo! Beautiful vampire goddess!! Jjang!

>> Ooh, I wonder why the sudden change... < ^_^

 

In all these comments, two seems to be the major subject: Is she seeing someone and why the sudden change?

 

 

Luhan takes off the hood of his jacket and then runs a hand over his black hair to ensure it’s not disheveled. He pockets his sunglasses and mask while he enters the living room.

 

“Lu-ge!!” Tao’s the first to greet him. It’s been several minutes when the discussion of Chanyeol’s favorite topic ended so the members seem calm, minding their own business.

 

“How’s your alone-time?” Suho asks, out of habit and curiosity as well.

 

Luhan has been gone long enough to conclude that they must have already seen Dara noona’s adventure at the mall.

 

Earlier, after his quick leave, he decided not to come back at the dorm, instead he wandered the street market. When he felt tired, he had some snacks at an almost deserted noodle house, thinking he’s safe there. And during that time, he saw the trending topic. He saw the photos, and how the new hairstyle suits her, making her look younger and more beautiful than she already is. So she proceeded with her tentative plans; he chuckled at the memory of how she doodled in the package. He did not want to think any more of how attractive she is while immersed in doodling.

 

“Yo Yo,” Suho calls again when the deer does not answer except for a small smile and somewhat far-off look on his face.

 

Hearing the leader calling, he starts to move towards the vacant seat next to Xiumin. Luhan does not think twice to tell them what happened after he manages to calm down. “I saw Dara noona at the mall earlier and---”

 

“Aish! Lu-ge, you should have taken me with you,” Tao whines, cutting off Luhan’s sentence.

 

“Ya! You’ll see her anyway, remember, you’re going with Umin-hyung?” Sehun scolds as though he’s older than Tao.

 

Tao bites his lower lip, momentarily forgetting about that. Still, he continues to whine anyway. “But that’s not scheduled yet.”

 

“And then?” Xiumin mumbles while looking at Luhan expectantly, ignoring the maknaes. He is trying his best to not show too much interest.

 

“I’m guessing you all probably know her itinerary… right?”

 

“Right, from Reporter Park Chanyeol,” Baekhyun says. The reporter simply beams and waits for Luhan’s report.

 

“I saw her come out from the bookstore. She did not recognize me. It’s surprising to see her all dressed-up and alone. So I wondered if she’s there alone or is she meeting someone…”

 

“And?” Chanyeol is hanging on every word Luhan says.

 

“So I followed her to the café where she had her lunch. She’s alone so I guess she’s not there to meet anyone.”

 

Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief to the amazement of the members.

 

“You’re acting like an avid fanboy again,” Chen points out.

 

“I am still a fanboy.” He admits without flinching.

 

“What did she eat?” D.O. asks--- guess being someone who’s mostly in charge of cooking and likes food explains his tendency to ask such questions.

 

“She ordered a breakfast plate--- that’s pancakes, bacon, sausage and bread, and hot white chocolate mocha.”

 

“Why didn’t you approach her?” Chen asks.

 

“With the attention she’s getting, I don’t want to risk being recognized so I simply watched her,” he explains, “because I’m curious if she’s there on a date,” he then adds quickly before they give any meaning to his actions.

 

The members mull over his reason. Luhan is confident that his explanation is perfect. It’s the truth anyway.

 

“So she did not recognize you at all?” Xiumin inquires, puzzled.

 

“Well… I’ll get to that but first, at the café--- she forgot the books she bought so I took it. I was going to give it to her. But she’s too fast that I lost sight of her. And then I saw the doodles and writings on the wrapped package,” he takes his phone from his pocket. “Want to see?” He can’t explain why he took a photo of it; guess the doodles and notes are too cute to disregard. He’s been trying to convince himself that he did it for Minseok. Maybe that is so.

 

The members once again huddle over a photo; two photos to be exact. Luhan snapped that photo once outside the café.

 

“Wow. Dara noona’s handwriting is cute,” Tao mumbles.

 

At this, Chen starts to speculate that Tao is a fanboy and could be following in Chanyeol’s footsteps.

 

“The doodles are cute too,” is Sehun’s remark while recalling Kris-ge’s drawings and how they’re almost at the same level. Not that Kris-ge's drawings are cute.

 

And Luhan continues his story. “I was busy looking at the package that I didn’t notice her coming my way. We bumped into each other. That’s when I told her it’s me. She recognized me the moment I spoke. But there were people around so I bid her goodbye as quickly as I can after handing over the books.”

 

“What did she buy?” Suho inquires--- guess being someone whose ideal type is a girl who has literary interests compels him to ask.

 

 “All books by Paulo Coelho: Veronika Decides to Die, The Devil and Miss Prym and Like the Flowing River.” That’s what he saw on the receipt.

 

“Ah. Too bad you didn’t get to talk to Dara noona,” Chen remarks.

 

That’s what Luhan is thinking too.

 

Yes. It’s too bad.

 

But maybe not entirely bad.

 

 

Dara enters the pin in Bom’s condo, feeling her feet ache a little. Even in flats, walking for several hours is tiring. It took almost three hours to get her preferred haircut and have it dyed. What she enjoyed most is the scalp massage. Going to a spa seems tempting.

 

She takes off her sandals and leaves it on the shoe rack in the closet and takes a pair of slippers.

 

She finds Bom in the couch, munching on corn while watching television. She throws her bag and paper bags that contain two dresses, a pair of pants and two t-shirts, the books inside, on the vacant seat and plops down opposite her friend. She starts to massage her feet alternately to reduce the discomfort.

 

“Whoa! Why are you all dressed-up? Did you have a date? What’s with the sudden change?” The questions pile up as Bom frowns at her while putting down the can of corn.

 

“What I’m wearing came from you three; I just thought why not use it. No, I did not have a date. As for the change, I just want my hair to be easily manageable. Does it not look good?” She runs a hand over her soft hair, not really worried but asks anyway. Actually, she wants to hear Bom’s opinion.

 

“It looks better.” Bom smiles and gives an OK sign. “How’s your day?” That question is equivalent to ‘what did you do all day?’

 

So Dara enumerates her stopovers and what she did there: the jumping rope, furniture department, bookstore, café, clothes department and lastly, the salon.

 

She’s actually feeling hungry. And it looks like Bom’s already eaten dinner. She calls the near

Please log in to read the full chapter