Survey

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 16: Dara recognized Luhan when he spoke but before they can even talk, he quickly left due to the people swarming towards her.

At EXO dorm, Dara became the topic once again: her day at the mall. Luhan revealed how he watched her because he was curious if she’s there to meet someone.

Xiumin, with Tao, finally met Dara again. They followed her on IG.

 

 

Various comments surface about the reason behind Xiumin and Tao following Dara in IG.

 

>>> Why did they follow Dara? ^o^

 

>>> Finally!~ Xiumin followed her. I know he’s always been a fanboy. Just kidding. Actually, he’s a fanboy of everyone--- see how he always sang along...LOL (link to a video – compilation of Xiumin singing to other groups’ songs)

 

>>> After Luhan and Chanyeol, it’s surprising that Xiumin and Tao follows as well. Could those two possibly be fanboys?  O_o

 

>>> Dara-Unni, follow them back please. ^__^

 

There are of course bashers who know nothing better to do than spread hate.

 

 

The day after the post, Dara wonders if she should follow back. Deep inside, she knows very well that she’s not yet that brave to do that. What will happen if she follows back? She’ll probably be on the receiving end of some EXO fans’ comments that can be offensive. If only she can explain the reason behind that: the forming friendship.

 

Not wanting to be bothered by the thought, she composes a message:

 

Good Morning kid ^__^

I’m just wondering, uhm, should I follow back?

AND I’m wondering~ have you ----

 

Before she can finish and send the message, the kid already sent one.

 

Good Morning noona ^_^

Tao and I apologize for what’s currently going on~ I mean in IG. You don’t have to follow us back.

 

Dara lets out a sigh of relief and then composes a reply.

 

Don’t be sorry. Let them say whatever they want, they can’t hurt me with their comments~ it’s because I don’t really read them. ^_^

If you say so, I won’t follow, even though I’d like to since we’re friends right?

Btw~ have you done it kid?

 

 

During practice break, Xiumin is in a corner busy on his phone. Luhan already has an idea what it is he’s busy with.

 

Xiumin almost forgot about the condition, which means she’ll be contacting him once in a while about it. It’s really a brilliant plan. He thought yesterday is the end of it; the moment he handed her the payment for the ticket.

 

He replies to her message quickly before the break ends. And she calls him kid again.

 

If it’s okay with you to be friends with us. ^__^

I haven’t done it yet…

I have to go, it's practice time. Bye.  v^_^v

 

He returns his phone inside his bag.

 

He’ll see the reply later--- on the way back to their dorm.

 

It’s nice to be your friend~ I mean noona-friend ke ke ke

You can do it, Fighting! ^_^

 

 

A few days pass, netizens are still busily speculating about the IG incident and what else is currently going on in the Kpop world.

 

One comment in particular trended in twitter.

>>>Dara unni starts dating. Xiumin is allowed to date: Plot twist- Xiumin and Dara dates each other ^_____^ -xiudara ftw! ke ke ke

 

Dara sees this while she and Bom are having breakfast. She almost spits out the orange juice when she reads the tweet that’s gained more than a thousand favorites and fewer retweets--- thank goodness.

 

“What’s wrong?” Bom frowns when Dara coughs.

 

She shows Bom what is wrong.

 

Bom laughs. “No comment.” She says that meaningfully.

 

 

At EXO dorm during breakfast, they see that tweet too. Chanyeol sees it first, and he frowns but shows to the others anyway.

 

Chen laughs loudly because he finds the 'plot twist' funny. As for Xiumin, he feels embarrassed. Luhan is watching Xiumin. Baekhyun is shaking his head at Chanyeol’s reaction. Lay seems sleepy. Tao whines. Sehun scolds Tao. Kai joins Sehun in scolding Tao. D.O. tells them to stop it and just eat. Suho tells them to hurry up or they’ll be late for practice.

 

Xiumin just hopes that tweet will not give Chen an inspiration to troll once again. He seems the most happy about it.

 

 

Several weeks pass by (mid of July to end of August), Dara weekly asks Xiumin about the brave thing. And always, Xiumin will answer that he’s not done it yet. It’ll always start about that topic and then end about anything they feel like talking about.

 

Sometimes, it’s Xiumin who starts the contact: he’ll ask about her to-do list, out of curiosity. He’s done that only twice because he still feels shy to initiate.

 

 

Meanwhile, to Luhan’s complete bewilderment, the fleeting attraction does not seem to be 'fleeting' at all. Most nights, when he lies in bed, he can’t help but recall that day.

 

Yes, the day he sees her at the mall. It plagues his mind and he knows it’s not good. He can’t like the same girl his friend likes.

 

One weekend, out of boredom, he decides to clean their room. After changing the beddings of his bed, he goes to Minseok’s bed. He tugs on the bed sheet, almost bringing the mattress out of place. That’s when he notices something. A magazine page folded many times is tucked in between the headboard and the mattress. Curious, he opens it.

 

How to determine if you like someone romantically

 

He understands why Minseok possesses such page. His friend is probably reading it during the time when he is still in denial of his feelings for Dara noona. Looks like Miseok did some research. Luhan wonders where Minseok got the article. Speaking of Minseok, he is out with Chen to go shopping.

 

He pockets the paper and proceeds with changing the beddings. After feeling satisfied, he sits on his bed and takes the paper from his pocket. He is still curious and so he reads the article. Once in a while, he frowns and then he smiles and then frowns again and then shakes his head.

 

After reading, it makes him brood over his current situation. Deny, he must deny it or else he’ll be pulled in. Still clutching the paper, he is surprised to find an unanswered survey at the back.

 

Boredom kicking in, Luhan takes his phone to record his answers on the notes application.

 

SURVEY to determine if you like someone romantically

Rules: Answer as honestly as possible. Do not cheat!

Point system:

1 – No 

2 – Sometimes/Maybe 

3 – Yes 

 

1. Do you pay close attention to the conversation? Do you show a special interest in him/her and what he/she does? Do you genuinely show interest in things he/she likes?

 

Even though he never had one decent conversation with her, honestly speaking, he sees himself paying close attention to the conversation and show interest in what she does (recalling how he watched her and Chen talk comfortably and how he watched her doodling on the package). That’s a 3.

 

 

2. Do you keep bumping into this person? Do you find yourself wondering where he/she could be? If you happen to want to run into him/her in places you know they'll be--- chances are you like him/her.

 

Even though it only happened twice, both happened by chance, he sometimes wonders where she is because after all, she’s on a six-month break. He remembers how Minseok possesses a copy of Dara noona’s to-do list. That’s a 3 again.

 

 

3. Do you find yourself planning for the future? (Has nothing to do with wedding plans but events that might be coming up soon like concerts or parties).

 

He can’t relate to this one, besides, even if there’s an event (awards show or music performance) it’s unlikely that he’ll see her because, again, 2NE1 is on break. But given a chance, he’ll plan for the future. That’s 3 then.

 

 

4. Given a chance, will you make excuses to talk with him/her a little longer? Will you cancel your plans so you can spend a little more time with him/her?

 

He does not even have an opening to talk with her in those two instances of meeting her by chance--- first, Chen and then the fans. Definitely yes if given a chance. That's 3 again.

 

 

5. Will you make excuses to be with him/her?

 

Given a chance, yes he will but with Minseok already on the move, nope, no chance for him there. But it’s still a 3 anyway. He sighs.

 

 

6. Do you watch his/her body language? Do you mirror his/her movements?

 

Yes he watches her when he gets the chance. Mirror her movements? There’s one he likes to do--- pinch the bridge of his nose. That’s 3 he supposes.

 

 

7. Given a chance, will you compliment him/her sincerely?

 

He could have complimented her that day but again, the fans are in the way. That’s 3.

 

 

8. Do you remember little details about him/her?

 

Some details about her he saw online, yes, he definitely remembers. That’s still a 3 maybe.

 

 

9. Are you willing to contact him/her first for a conversation?

 

Even though he’s got her number saved on his phone---for a reason unknown to him, and Minseok does not know--- he has no plans of contacting her. Still it’s a 3 because he wants to contact her.

 

 

10. Will you mention other boys/girls when with him/her?

 

If he gets the chance, of course he won’t but maybe he will to make her jealous. Okay, that’s a 2.

 

 

11. Are you all-smiles around him/her? Do you smile at him/her?

 

Of course he smiles out of respect more than anything else. But he does not get that many chances to show her his manly smile. Anyway, 3 it is.

 

 

12. Do you want to keep him/her close to you?

 

He definitely wants to keep her close, most especially if she wears that perfume. 3 again.

 

 

13. Will you blatantly say to him/her that you’re single?

 

Of course. 3 for the nth time.

 

 

14. Do you or will you banter all day and night? If you constantly joke around with each other, there’s a friendship forming.

 

He hopes he can be friends with her so they can banter constantly. Okay 3.

 

 

He sighs. This is hopeless. Luhan thinks so, but finishes answering the fourteen items anyway. Some of the situation has not happened so he answers on a ‘what if given a chance’ or ‘what if it happens’ premise--- no matter how unlikely it'll happen.

 

He starts to compute for the score: That’s thirteen 3s and one 2 totals to 41.

 

He checks the scoring system.

 

42 and above     No doubt you like him/her romantically. Congratulations!

15 – 41            You are undecided. Good Luck!

14 and below     Nope, you don’t like him/her at all. Congratulations!

 

 

And then his mouth hangs open. That seems a little sarcastic in his opinion.

 

He stares at the glossy page, unblinking. He can’t believe that the survey can tell him what it is he is feeling. Even though he already has a slim idea, he answers the survey only to humor himself and for him to reflect on it--- then maybe he can drill in his head how it is not a good idea to turn the fleeting attraction into something more.

 

He wonders how Minseok felt when he answered the survey.

 

“Lu-ge!” Sehun burst into the door, unannounced. Luhan is more than startled he forgets to hide the article immediately from the sharp eyes of the maknae. Before he can react, Sehun has already snatched the paper and sees what it’s all about.

 

“Who are you interested in?” the maknae asks innocently.

 

Luhan tries to snap out of his daze. He better think of a reason fast or Sehun will.

 

“I just thought Minseok will find that useful,” he says calmly, looking at Sehun in the eyes for good measure.

 

“Who is Umin-hyung interested in?” he asks to Luhan’s dismay.

 

“No one. I just thought that the article will help him once he finds her,” he finishes, hoping Sehun will stop asking questions. “What brings you here?” he quickly asks.

 

“Hyung and Chen brought pizza; they told me to call you.” He hands the paper back to the relieved Luhan who starts to climb off the bed. He takes the paper and leaves it on the bedside table, glad he is able to make up an excuse. Now the only problem is what if Sehun mentions that later. He starts to feel uneasy while they go downstairs to the living room, where he can already hear Chanyeol ad Baekhyun’s loud voices.

 

 

Later that night, Dara mentally checks off the second task on her list. She’s glad to be able to bring Bom with her.

 

Wearing clothes that’ll cover-up their identities, Dara and Bom look out at the beautiful night from the observation deck, which is the revolving restaurant. They just finished a hearty meal.

 

Breathtaking lights of the cityscape can be seen. Dara takes out her phone to snap a couple of photos. She also asks the staff to snap a picture of her and Bom with the nightlights as a backdrop.

Please log in to read the full chapter