Lose

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 3: XiuHan kissing (and therefore dating) rumor came out. Bom admitted that she and Dong Wook is officially a couple. Dara told Bom about her problem – her mother’s constant nagging for her to start dating. Bom convinced Dara to have a reading.

 

 

Dara’s hands are sweating while she grips the steering wheel. She maneuvers out of the parking spot and in a few minutes, they are travelling the road to see the fortuneteller. She quickly glances at Bom, whose busily looking at her phone. Maybe she’s texting Dong Wook-ssi regarding her whereabouts.

 

Dara turns on the radio and EXO’s Overdose (EXO-K’s version) fills the silence. She also likes EXO-M’s version even though she doesn’t understand it. In her opinion, members of EXO-M are better looking. Due to more pressing matters she’s not able to bring up the latest news with regard Xiumin and Luhan. She quickly glances at Bom again, who's now putting her phone inside her bag. When their eyes met, they both sang to the song while Bom turns the volume up.

 

They often do this kind of silliness: singing at the top of their lungs. Dara momentarily forgets about the little uncertainties she still have about having a reading. She’s too engrossed in singing her heart out.

 

(Her love her love) ojik geugeotman bara
Geunyeoui sarang hanappuningeol
Chimyeongjeogin fantasy
hwangholhan geu ane chwihae

 

Oh she wants me~ oh she’s got me, oh she hurts me
Joha deouk galmanghago isseo

 

Someone call the doctor nal butjapgo malhaejwo
Sarangeun gyeolguk jungdok overdose
Sigani jinalsurok tongjedo himdeureojyeo
Jeomjeom gipsugi ppajyeoganda
Oh too much neoya your love igeon overdose
Too much neoya your love igeon overdose

 

Neoui geu geu sumgillo ono
Boineun neol galguhae jom deo
Gappajin sumeuro jilsikdoen hue
Jeonyul geurigo hansum

 

When the song ended, she turns the volume lower before glancing quickly at Bom. “Have you heard about XiuHan? They were trending yesterday,” Dara casually says. She looks at Bom when they reached an intersection and the traffic light was red.

 

“Nope. What’s new?” Bom’s eyes are filled with curiosity.

 

“It could still be trending; check it out on twitter. You’ll see.”

 

Bom takes out her phone in a hurried manner. She types XiuHan in the search bar. Sure enough, the caption, which includes the word KISSED, caught her attention and the low quality photo of two guys whose faces were too close to each other is still the top tweet. She turns to Dara wide-eyed as realization dawns on her pretty face.

 

“Is this real?” then she continues to read the comments without waiting for Dara’s answer.

 

Dara presses on the gas when the traffic light turns green. “I don’t know,” she does not take her eyes off the road. “But the photo’s not telling a clear story. Could be anyone if you ask me.”

 

“Yeah,” and then Bom’s giggle filled the car. “Some of the comments are really funny,” she explains.

 

Dara laughs as well. “I agree. Yesterday I found myself restraining laughter because of one tweet I read; it’s about the pepero kiss between Lay and Sehun. I can’t help but recall Tao’s reaction.”

 

“I know right; we used to watch it countless times whenever we feel sad,” Bom adds, laughing again at the unforgettable image of Tao’s reaction to the not so accidental kiss.

 

“What turn should I take?” Dara asks as she slows down a bit.

 

“Turn left on the next street.” Bom replies while she scans the tweets for more funny comments.

 

When Dara makes the turn, Bom momentarily looks up. “That’s it over there. You can park in front of that two-storey gray building.” She puts her phone inside her bag.

 

In a few minutes, after successfully parking, Dara kills off the engine. She glances at Bom, realizing she’s filled with dread at what’s about to happen. She feels like wanting to back out.

 

“Don’t give me that look. Be positive. I think this will be interesting,” Bom encourages Dara to look at it in an optimistic way.

 

“Am I the only one who’s getting a reading?” while she puts on her sunglasses. Bom need not see the hesitation in her eyes. She adjusts the cap and finger-combs her long hair.

 

“Of course,” Bom replies before getting out. She adjusts her cap as well; her straight black hair blown by a soft gust of wind.

 

Dara steps out and feels suddenly exposed. Both of them looked boyish in their casual wear. But Bom still gives off that feminine poise. While Dara looks like a woman trapped in a pre-pubescent body. She remembers mentioning that during their UGLY music video making. Up to this day, it still seems that way. She swings her backpack over her shoulder and runs towards Bom’s side.

 

“Ready?” Bom asks. Anticipation for something enlightening is evident in her bright face.

 

“Barely,” Dara admits, willing herself to have enough determination to see it through. Her forehead starts to sweat; she’s thankful she’s not wearing any make-up. It’ll probably start to melt at this kind of hot weather in addition to how nervous she’s feeling at the moment.

 

What if someone spots them in this place? What if this gets out? Too many worries occupy her mind. She should just trust Bom.

 

They stand side by side, looking at the building. Bom pulls her by the hand, as they keep a low profile while they weave their way through the crowd towards the glass door that leads to a verdict, in Dara’s opinion.

 

 

Dara sits paralyzed in the car with Bom. She is in obvious disbelief. The fortune teller said that her life is so monotonous it begins to become boring; she need to make a chance for something exciting to happen if she wishes to change the situation she’s currently in.

 

She leans back on the seat, not having the strength to pull out of the parking spot yet. Bom is quiet by her side, waiting for it to finally sink in her fried’s mind.

 

At first, Dara is clueless why such reading was given to her of all people. She doesn’t believe there’s anything lacking in her life until she looks at Bom and it hit her. How can she forget the glow in those eyes? Did the fortuneteller unknowingly compare her and Bom’s inner glow? If he did, then Dara’s is without a doubt dull compared to her friend’s.

 

“Should I try what he says?” Dara finally asks. “Do you think he’s right?”

 

Bom places a hand over Dara’s, which is still cold due to nervousness. “You don’t have to believe what he says; but it won’t hurt to think about it and analyze your curren

Please log in to read the full chapter