Thunder

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 5: Bom revealed her worries about publicly announcing her relationship with Dong Wook. Dara will meet a younger man according to the reading. Dara learned that she was to meet a former classmate--- it was a date set-up by her mother.

 

 

Following is the scene that Xiumin and Chen miss while they are turned towards each other; the former distracted and the latter excited about the impending discovery.

 


The guy turns towards the door and stands at once when he sees her approach; he immediately knows it’s her since she replied earlier that she's wearing a gray hoodie and scarf. He takes note of how her face is well-covered and absolutely understands the necessity of it.

 

 

"Hello Min Ho-ssi," she bows and he bows back, "Hello Dara-ssi."
 

 

She sounds apologetic when she continues, "Have you been waiting long?" in a mild question to the guy whose suit fits him well. She can't help but take notice. He looks so presentable and it makes her feel so out of place. Maybe she should have worn a dress. She mentally scolds herself when she recalled her mother's comment. She might as well sit with the two guys at the corner table who wears hoodies their side profiles concealed.
 

 

"No, I got here only a few minutes ago," he gives a small smile to assure her that she's not late. He moves to the other chair and pulls it for her. The gesture earns a 'thank you.' Once seated and making sure that no one's eyeing her and her date, she pushes back the hood of her jacket (while smoothing her hair to make sure it's not messy), removes her sunglasses and scarf, exposing her face which is only framed by her dark hair. He stares at her and smiles tentatively. She stares back, momentarily taken aback by his cute and warm smile.

 

An awkward silence passes, which both of them are well aware of.

 

 

In the meantime, while Chen looks back at the new arrival, Xiumin discreetly rubs his chest where his heartbeat is to his dismay still beating rapidly. He needs to calm down before his companion notices his odd behavior. Despite the fact that it’s not right to eavesdrop, they strain to hear the conversation.

 

Chen shots him a look that implies: Can we stay a bit longer and find out?
 

 

Well, it's more on the lines of: Can we stay longer and listen to their conversation?
 

 

As much as Xiumin wants to leave without sparing her a glance on his way out the door due to fear that Chen's speculation will be confirmed, the curiosity seems greater than the desire to run away. He nods at Chen, in silent agreement. They move their seats to the side, for a better audible range.
 

 

How Xiumin is able to hear the conversation, he can't figure out. It seems they are deciding on what to eat. The guy likes coffee while the woman doesn't; she will have an iced tea latte and a blueberry muffin. Her voice sounds soft, but he can't be so certain if it sounds exactly like Dara-sunbaenim's.
 

 

He can't help but note when she mentioned that she doesn't drink coffee---another similarity. He knows (through secretly watching Running Man) that Dara-sunbaenim doesn't drink coffee. But that may have changed. It's been more than a year anyway--- he reasons out rationally or maybe a little desperately.
 

 

He looks back at the guy subtly, narrowing at the facial expression for signs---signs of what---Affection? Love? He can’t detect any of those. Maybe their relationship is only on friendly terms. Or maybe he can’t tell from where he is sitting. But why is he even making a fuss over it when it had not been confirmed yet who she is.
 

 

Chen leans closer to his unmoving friend to say, “I’ll take a look.” 
 

 

That statement causes Xiumin to turn swiftly and direct a wide-eyed gaze that seems to say: Are you out of your mind?!
 

 

"What?" Chen asks innocently. Xiumin is speechless, dread washing over him. 
 

 

"

Please log in to read the full chapter